PDA

View Full Version : Mhc

hauntedhousenut
06-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Anyone have any daily updates?

scareshack
06-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Anyone have any daily updates?

Im waiting myself as well....figured by now there be a few pics and such up.
So bummed I couldnt go.

Jim Warfield
06-14-2008, 08:47 AM
By most standards I've been a "Bum" most of my life, it takes money to go anywhere, even just to go to the bathroom. (not in my panties!)
Nobody would want me there like that anyhow, walking around secretly stinking up their show.
It is evil-fun seeing others get the blame for you and yours though.

drfrightner
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Spookywoods FX told me he sold some suits, and Ghost Ride told me he has written some orders. There are a lot of people there as was expected.

Rich Hanf is covering the show for us and he from my understanding went to Transworlds vendor meeting and proposed that the haunt show be at MHC from today forward. I heard that...

Transworld held an open breakfast to see what everyone thinks of a haunt only show, and proposed some idea's, along with several vendors and buyers putting in their two cents.

From what I was told people came out from that meeting more confused than when they went in...

That is all I know right now.

Larry

drfrightner
06-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I also heard a rumor that IAAPA representives went to the show and are planning their own haunt only show, or building a major haunt section at IAAPA. This industry is going in six million directions. To bad we dont' have one direction!

Larry

Infoamtek
06-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Larry, some people and groups outside TW are smelling fresh money floating around, so there's going to be a lot of competition for haunt and Halloween trade shows for a while. If you give it about three to five years, things will settle out to something simpler.

actiondeath
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
The ZombieWalk went well. Kinda went all haywire once we hit the show floor but it straightened out. Collected a lot of food. HUGE thanks to everyone who donated.

HUGE eff-you and die to the bloody-nose-picker dude in the wheelchair for disrupting traffic. That was the most ignorant, disrespectful, and unsafe stunt I think I've ever witnessed. I'm surprised he wasn't arrested or killed. Anyway, if the walk issued some kind of official dumbshit award, he would've won it hands down and for some reason, I think he'd LOVE that. I really hope they didn't get that on the news footage. Thats all I need.

MDKing
06-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I hope that's not the same guy who was at Transworld a couple years back because that act is real tired by now. It's not funny, scary, and just lame really. He takes it too far...He also gets in people's way and won't let them pass. I don't know where he's from but that would last 2 seconds in my city before getting knocked out by someone in line!

Allan

scareshack
06-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Keith....posted some new pics on myspace of the body painting....nice pics...heres the link..

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=44970761&MyToken=21829d86-4bef-4a39-af87-40347dec87a7

Motograter
06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Cool pictures. I saw hauntedhousenut in one of those.

Jim Warfield
06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Everytime they pointed a loaded camera at me when I was a kid I always made hideous faces("Stop that or your face will snap and stay that way!")
I love those pictures of me, they are great to make haunted house ads with and I can very truthfully inform people:"Yes, that's a picture of ME!"
One I'm trying to climb a cyclone fence and the look on my little 3 or 4 yr. old face is totally other-worldly demonic! (I was at a high school football game?)
I was just warming up for being told all my adult life that I look like a list of certain actors who always play serial-killers and goons.
Some of us recieve our "calling" early.

hauntedhousenut
06-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I wasn't able to make it, although someone did tell me they saw Corey there, why weren't you there with her?

Motograter
06-15-2008, 08:02 PM
uh huh sure.

Kevin Dells
06-15-2008, 08:32 PM
The ZombieWalk went well. Kinda went all haywire once we hit the show floor but it straightened out. Collected a lot of food. HUGE thanks to everyone who donated.

HUGE eff-you and die to the bloody-nose-picker dude in the wheelchair for disrupting traffic. That was the most ignorant, disrespectful, and unsafe stunt I think I've ever witnessed. I'm surprised he wasn't arrested or killed. Anyway, if the walk issued some kind of official dumbshit award, he would've won it hands down and for some reason, I think he'd LOVE that. I really hope they didn't get that on the news footage. Thats all I need.

SHELDON!!!!! Are you kidding me! Ignorant, Disrespectful, Dude cmon Sheldons the stuff! He's one of my favorite characters iv'e ever had the pleasure of watching/working with!

You can rant all you want but Sheldon in my book is one of the most entertaining characters out there! When crowds of people stop and watch one guy and that crowd gasps all at the same time when he does something crazy, i would say he's a money maker for any haunt. Scary, No i agree. Insane Hell Yes! And thats what haunting is all about the insanity!

actiondeath
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
http://home.columbus.rr.com/kurtisbchaney/dumbass1.jpg
http://home.columbus.rr.com/kurtisbchaney/dumbass2.jpg

I agree, his act would cause a desirable (insert debate here) reaction in a haunt... Just not in the middle of High street. Especially not when people from the city might think he's part of our organization. We would like to continue having these walks.

Whatever, I'm not ranting. He may have just misunderstood what we were doing. He wasn't at the park when we started, so he didn't hear the "don't disrupt traffic" speech. Doesn't change the fact that hooking your feet on the back of a moving vehicle and repeatedly crossing 4 lanes of mid-afternoon traffic in a wheelchair is stupid, unsafe, and disrespectful.

Motograter
06-15-2008, 09:20 PM
hahaha wtf??

maddi005
06-15-2008, 11:11 PM
HAHA!!!!! sheldon p. bitchmagnet....yes he is crazy...and funny as heck...thoroughly entertaining...he crosses boundries that ought not be crossed i agree, but that is why he is one of the best...i love the dude, and can honestly say i can watch him for hours endlessly 'playing ' in traffic....and i wouldnt worry about people thinking he is in your group....lol...we are talking about columbus, a metropolitan area where nose picking handicapped people run a muck through traffic every day....i know...i have seen it happen, and it wasnt sheldon...lol...laters

maddi ~:)

Haunted Illinois
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree, his act would cause a desirable (insert debate here) reaction in a haunt... Just not in the middle of High street. Especially not when people from the city might think he's part of our organization. We would like to continue having these walks.

Whatever, I'm not ranting. He may have just misunderstood what we were doing. He wasn't at the park when we started, so he didn't hear the "don't disrupt traffic" speech. Doesn't change the fact that hooking your feet on the back of a moving vehicle and repeatedly crossing 4 lanes of mid-afternoon traffic in a wheelchair is stupid, unsafe, and disrespectful.

Well, if you aren’t ranting, you could have fooled me! Looks like you just won’t drop the topic. LOL.

Is what he did stupid? Maybe
Is what he did unsafe? Perhaps, but that is HIS problem, IF he were to get hurt.
Is it disrespectful? No. How could it even be interpreted that way? It’s not like he had a “I officially represent MHC and the Zombie Walk” sign on his back. LOL. Actually, I found the whole thing entertaining and so did everyone else I saw witnessing his antics. I have seen this guy perform before and he always gets a positive reaction from the crowd.

I think you might need to lighten up a bit and stop taking things so seriously.

Darkangel
06-16-2008, 05:51 AM
I thought haunting was all about scaing people, not acting like a clown in a wheelchair? The event ActionDeath was a part of sounded like a good event for a good cause and maybe Sheldon just didn't get it? His act does not look entertaining to me either, and looks like a sure fire way to cause you and your event more problems and negative opinions by your guest....

Darkangel

actiondeath
06-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Well, if you aren’t ranting, you could have fooled me! Looks like you just won’t drop the topic. LOL.

I think you might need to lighten up a bit and stop taking things so seriously.

Wow... Once again I forget what board I'm in and who I'm trying to make a point to. At risk of being called names and told that I'm obsessed because I have an opinion, I will say one last thing on the matter:

There is NO question that it was unsafe. No 'maybe', no 'perhaps'. I understand if you know the guy you wanna defend him but really.... To pretend that under any circumstances this might be a good idea or a smart thing to do is just silly. Give me a break!

As far as it being disrespectful, you could tell by the reactions of the people who almost hit him that they were not amused at all. Why would they feel disrespected? I dunno, maybe they were in a hurry and some asshat was causing them to slam their brakes repeatedly? Also, there were children around. Would you want your kids to see some joker out in traffic getting a 'positive' reaction out of people? I wouldn't.

Wasn't putting down his character or ability to get a reaction. Just flippin' him the bird for jeopardizing something I work very hard for.

maddi005
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
i dont think haunting is just about scaring people...it is about pulling and emotional response...entertaining...besides arent there funny parts in every horror movie...besides, his character isnt about scaring people...just entertaining the masses...

if they had put him on TV i guarantee people would watch the hell out of it...so what a few people had to slam on their brakes...thats what they put them in cars for...lol...seriously...though...take some time and watch his act in a total different light, and i am sure you will really respect his work much more...lol

some might be able to argue that doin a zombie walk is disrespectful...is it? heck no...it is just giving people something to look at and i am sure it is great for the performers as well....

with al that being said....can we get back to all being friends...and talk about a great weekend, being around great people, getting great products, attending awesome seminars, partying in excess, and just having a grand ol time...lol...later all

Darkangel
06-16-2008, 07:42 AM
I see your point, but I doubt too many people would enjoy seeing that guy on TV, certain people yes but not the masses. It's just not funny I'm surprised some of you think it is....People would not be happy about seeing a guy make light of mentally retarded people, and those in wheelchairs, that's not at all funny!

Darkangel

Speculo
06-16-2008, 08:51 AM
This is something I have experienced myself and with my actors before, and it is also a special risk for zombie walk events -

When people come to your event they KNOW what is going on, They KNOW crazy things might happen. But when you do a promotion in a public place, there are lots of people who have NO idea what is happening. Lots of them would never come to a haunt, some are terrified some are disgusted, some are violent.

We did a Zombie attack at a fashion show at a mall (To promote the new Dawn of The Dead movie) and it had an exteme effect! We entered the dark movie theatre at the credits and scared the $%^& ot of people! Some of them were throwing punches, they had no idea what was happening!

We were also banned from the St Pattys parade because we went after the crowds and scared the children, they said.

I love extreme acting and characters but as a haunt owner and event orgainizer I know the goal is to scare and entertain my guests and promote my show. As a haunt actor I have to reign back and realize it is not about ME pushing someone to the edge, it is about the success of the event and the guests having a good experience.

Sometimes actors forget everything and go too hard core...its a great thing but a razors edge to ride.

Do your guests have a great time if you don't let up until they lose bladder or bowel control or are you just doing it for your own kicks? I know we all love this stuff internally , but I think its promotion degrades our industry.

Hey at your own events do what you do. YOUR guests know you and they want the show YOU bring. But when you go out in public you gotta be REAL careful, something really bad can happen, and you need to answer the question:

"Do these people really want this form of vile entertainment unexpectedly, or am I just subjecting innocent people to this for my own kicks?"

If someone gets hurt, if someone gets arrested, if some child is freaked out for years, if someone pulls a gun, was it worth it?

If they come to the Haunt it is game on, but in public be careful!

IMHO

Thanks!

Ken Spriggs
06-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Oh my.....sure I will add my 2 cents.

Dear upset haunters.............

Um Sheldon didn't look like a zombie to me.
He looked like the typical street bum we saw begging us for money on every corner in Columbus.....with blood coming out of his nose in a wheelchair.

Ben.....yes I agree ... game on when people go to a haunt.
We also know a FEW haunts...not mentioning names that DO STUPID things before they open and actually hit and push customers including kids.
Oh but i will leave that alone.

Now back to Sheldon.....really can't believe that someone who has a suicide as part of their haunt would have an issue with a bloody nosed bugger picker.

Sheldon has blasted out infront of semis going 30 miles an hour down our street.
2 years ago he signed a waver for our insurance company......he is what he is.

HOW MANY OF YOU PEOPLE LAUGHED AT HIM IN CHICAGO?????
Most of you tried to hire him for the season.....

badass
06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
first lets say..MHC was a blast.....

as for the wheelchaired retard...

at the mis scary pagent ...discustingly great

in the middle of high street...ignorant..and disrespectful to MHC and the Zombie walk...

no one would be standing up for anybody had it caused an accident or hit the news....

Congrats to all of the organizers of MHC and the Zombie walk...

thanks for the good time

hauntedhousenut
06-16-2008, 09:39 AM
there is a place and time for something like this, and out in the public wasn't the place for it.

Infoamtek
06-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I saw Sheldon at Chicago and I found his act to be nothing more than immature grade school antics, hardly worth the effort.

Dusti
06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Zombie Walk: I was one of the many that was taken by surprise by the zombie walk coming through the convention. It was surreal and wonderful, but I'm glad someone in the crowd knew what was going on because, honestly, I just wasn't sure if this was an actor workshop sort of thing. *laugh* Having that many zombies walk the aisle was pretty interesting for all involved, I think. (Hearing the zombies, some of which seemed equally confused, were saying things like, "Oooo, that's cool! Um..brraaaaaaaaains!" hehehe)

Kudos to the organizers and participants!

Sheldon: I echo Ben's sentiments - the last thing I want is for actors to go out of the haunt and actively participate in dangerous behavior around traffic.

From watching him at the show, I think he has excellent control of his wheelchair, and from what I've read here, it sounds like he takes the potential risk of what he's doing seriously.

Is he disrespectful, action-wise? I do not think he was showing disrespect to MHC or the zombie walk.

As far as his character goes: His is an extreme character, just as are the killer klownz, escaped mental patients, etc. Might not work for your haunt or your comfort level, and the discussion about that is useful and good. But I think most of us have something - a prop, a character, a room theme - that someone else could say, "Oh, that's inappropriate!", and so I think that to have *that* particular argument/judgment is not such a good thing.

MDKing
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Infoamtek hit the nail on the head. It is what it is....

Speculo
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Also let me clarify -

I didn't see what happened, my post above was about the general topic of unleashing extreme haunt actors on the unsuspecting general public.

I saw that guy at the party and I have heard about him for years, he sounds like a great actor.

I know that I have PERSONALLY gone too far in public promotions, and now it is something I watch very closely when WE do events.

All actors love to "freak the mundanes" its just a tight rope that needs to be walked carefully in my opinion, and I certainly understand an event producer worried about a topic like this.

BTW MHC was great! It was good seeing everyone there!

Thanks!

Kevin Dells
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
OK Im just curious about one little thing here (and no im not defneding Sheldon again even though were great freinds).

I didn't attend MHC and im dam bummed about it so im picturing this in my mind now.

If i was in any city and had no idea what was going on with any of these events MHC, the Zombie walk whatever, just tolling down the road with my wife and kids in the backseat.

I look to the side because i see 50 bloody zombies walking down the street, that would draw my attention way more than 1 guy in a wheelchair! Hell if i did see 50 zombies on the sidewalk i would most definetly hit the car in front of me because i would think that was so cool to see!

So im still wondering if sheldon who does roll out in front of a car and the driver see's him clear as day stops and he toys with them for awhile how is that more disrupting and horrifiying than explaining 50 bloody dead people walking down the street to my kid!

Again wasn't there, iv'e seen and worked with Shelodn many times, he's paying very close attention, he will make a first movement jesture just to get the drivers to slow down before he even enters the street.

What i think the main point is here and it's not being said straight out is he's mimicing a retarded guy and your worried about the bad press if he was to get filmed putting your zombie walk in jeopardy.

But at the same time your not seeing that a huge group of people mimicing the dead in public is just as wrong and offensive to say somebody that just recently lost a loved one.

Everything we do hauntwise is touch and go as Ben said in the publics eye, so the need to point fingers here is just wrong in my opinion when both party's at least to me could be considered at fault. Personally i would have LOVED to have seen both, but im just screwy ass wrong to begin with.

And finally your sooooo lucky i couldn't attend, because my three characters are very wrong compared to sheldon. You would have gotten me walking down High street in a diaper smeared with poop (and yes i love to play in traffic as well!) OR a crossdressing hillbilly wearing a very short skirt (and womens short short unerwear!) picking up motorists in exchange for farm machinery(mustache and all!) My third character is a lot like sheldon Mentally challenged.

Special Ed wears a kitchen collander for a helmet,drool running everywhere carrying a rubber rat that i try to convince people that it's actually my beaver!

"" And Oh yes sir i will gladly trade you my beaver for your beaver!" as i hand over the rat and stare down his wife from head to toe stopping at her cleavage!

I have pictures of the first two if anyone would like to see "JUST PLAIN WRONG!"

Haunted Illinois
06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Kevin. You’ve made a great point there.

“Actiondeath”, “badass”, “Darkangel” and all the rest of the folks who saw Sheldon’s actions as offensive... To the general public, I’m sure that your Zombie Walk in June was at least as disturbing as Sheldon’s antics, and even more so. Come on... Isn’t it like the pot calling the kettle black? What would be more disturbing to regular folks in Columbus??? One clown in a wheelchair or tons of zombies walking down the street? I’d bank on the mass of zombies being more disturbing, especially to those who have just lost a loved one.

It makes me laugh that the people who are associated with a zombie walk can be so self-righteous. Get off your high horse.

As Kevin stated before, I’m sure your mass of zombies was way more disruptive to the general public than a single guy in a wheelchair.

GraveStalker
06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I wonder if anyone was offended by half naked zombies and felt they may not properly represent the industry or show???

Move on! It was a great show and to belittle it with this drama is disrespectful to the event.

Gore Galore
06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Well boys,
You have proved why Sheldon does what he does.
You made this thread 4 pages long just talking about his antics.

Haunting is not about scaring. It is about entertainment.
Every event has a different take on what entertainment is. And this is his. Like it or not, it works. He had your complete attention. You were and still are HIS personal captive audience.
Working a queueline in a haunt, it is critical to keep your patrons not thinking about their wait. How better to keep them distracted than watching a freak, freak the straights?

hauntedhousenut
06-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Kevin. You’ve made a great point there.

“Actiondeath”, “badass”, “Darkangel” and all the rest of the folks who saw Sheldon’s actions as offensive... To the general public, I’m sure that your Zombie Walk in June was at least as disturbing as Sheldon’s antics, and even more so. Come on... Isn’t it like the pot calling the kettle black? What would be more disturbing to regular folks in Columbus??? One clown in a wheelchair or tons of zombies walking down the street? I’d bank on the mass of zombies being more disturbing, especially to those who have just lost a loved one.

It makes me laugh that the people who are associated with a zombie walk can be so self-righteous. Get off your high horse.

As Kevin stated before, I’m sure your mass of zombies was way more disruptive to the general public than a single guy in a wheelchair.

That was so esque of you!

badass
06-16-2008, 10:38 PM
lets all play in the streets ....haha

MHC RAWKS

Darkangel
06-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Kevin,

I remember your characters too, and I was equally disgusted by those. A grown man wearing a diaper and spearing "crap" on himself? C'mon man it makes no sense. What's wrong with being a Grim Reaper? :)

The difference is the Zombie Walk was a planned event and one that benefitted a great cause, something this industry should be proud to be a part of. Someone who is not handicapped but uses a wheelchair, someone who is not mentally retarded pretending to be, some moron who goes in the middle of the streets and disrupts traffic, all of those things were not planned and yet again sheds haunters in a negative light. It's the Sheldons of the world that people look at haunters, people who actually run haunt businesses not dress up in one, and shake their heads in shame and why they won't come to one. It's time to grow up now, isn't it?

Also, Kevin from Gore Galore and the others who say it's not about scaring but entertainment, heck why do we even by props and masks and costumes then? If being in the haunted house business is not about scaring we shouldn't buy from Gore Galore and Scarefactory and Distortions and we can go to the local Party Store and buy hula skirts and beach balls and add those to our sets and play non scary music and so forth? I thought it was our job as haunters to entertain them by actually scaring them, I thought that was the whole point? People don't go to a horror movie expecting to see a romantic comedy, they went to get scared. They come to a haunt for scary entertainment. Zombies are an expected part of the haunt scene and if it's a horror related event which it was then seeing zombies makes sense to the public.

Also, and this may not be a popular thing to say and you can take it for what what it's worth, but a good actor, one who is skilled and knows how to make people feel intimidated does not wear diapers and act retarded in a wheelchair. Actors who lack the skill and delivery feel the need to take the Howard Stern shock route and go over the top to get a reation from people in such a way. I've seen haunt performers who far exceed any childish and gross out antics displayed by the Sheldons of the industry by being skilled and confident in their talent.

Darkangel

actiondeath
06-17-2008, 06:24 AM
and I'm not surprised.

Once again. I wasn't offended. I wasn't concerned with the public being offended. I never said that Sheldon's character was wrong. I never even said that I didn't like his character.

I said I was peeved because he was in the streets. It's difficult enough to put this event on without some big headline saying that a zombiewalk participant almost caused an accident. That's all. You want to disagree, fine. Make excuses and bring up other points that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH the point I was trying to make. It's common here.

Gore Galore
06-17-2008, 07:00 AM
All I was getting at was Entertainment is the point.
Scaring is the main way that is done.
But there are other methods like laughter.
At the haunt I work with we do a mixture of both. My characters are strange and scary.
It is not a dichotomous black and white discussion. Every haunt intermixes tons of methods to entertain and amaze the crowds.

Why do you think Haunts have celebs, bands, magicians, sideshow acts. these are not to scare. They are to entertain.
Get my drift?

Have fun and go scare some people.

Ken Spriggs
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Sheldon was not a part of your Zombie walk.
Sheldon had been cruising the streets of columbus long before you had even come through.

And for those who want to bash him for the wheelchair thing
Maybe you should have taken a few minutes to ask him why he is in the wheelchair.

You see social security gives the poor boy $124.32 every month that was before he was in the chair. Now as long as they don't see him get up and walk, he gets $132.34 a month. As far as the bloody nose? he has a snow problem!

Now he just became a normal member of society!!!!

Yes Kevin you are right...........if you can't scare them....make them uncomfy.....or gross them out...........make em laugh

HEY DARKANGEL
what you didn't like Beetlejuice????

Darkangel
06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Ken,

Do you mean Beetlejuice the movie or the dude on Howard Stern's show? As far as being funny, the ladder has the movie beat I'd admit! :)

Darkangel

Tater
06-17-2008, 10:48 AM
DarkAngel

Your saying that Good actors dont need to use the gross out stuff (Dirty Underwear, Fake squirting boobs, Urine Bottle) But if i recall the gross out is a type of acting style, and infact if its so kiddish then why did i place second in the Ms. Scary Midwest using all of the stuff you said people dont like?

maddi005
06-17-2008, 11:43 AM
do you know how many times at dreamreapers i have been able to sneak up behind people and scare the bejeesus outta people because they were paying attention to sheldon's immature grade school antics...they pay attention to him, laughing and having a great time, then BOOM!!! they get scared out of their skin...i am not begrudging you for having your own opinion of sheldon...but i have seen it work over and over and over again...he is definately rememberable...nuff said

Tater
06-17-2008, 11:48 AM
ah maddi i love you!

any time you can distract the folks from thinking that This is a haunted house im going to get scared...anytime you can catch them off guard with a Sheldon like character then all of a sudden they are enjoying themselves and not paying attention then the other actors and do their thing. In my Opinion you need the scary and the funny together

SHELDON
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow! THIS IS GREAT! I figured that its about time that I chimed in on this. I cant believe that there are so many uptight people in the haunt world. You're right, I didn't attend the meeting in the park and didn't hear the speech about disrupting traffic. I just happened to be outside when the zombie walk flooded around the corner and saw yet another chance to play in traffic. Dangerous? Yes. Ignorant? Sure. Disrespectful?
Maybe to somebody who is actually in a wheelchair with a nose bleed. Immature? Ok, I'll give you that one. Although I physically turned 33 on Friday, I haven't aged mentally since I was 14. As far a jeopardizing future zombie walks... ask the two cars of Columbus Police who were absolutely rolling with laughter. Ask the people at the outdoor diners that were jumping fences to take pictures with me. Ask the passing motorists who actually slowed down so I could hitch a ride on their bumper. They all looked very upset. I'm always very aware of my surroundings. More aware that the bike messenger ripping through downtown traffic or the rollerblader hauling ass pass you on the sidewalk. Anybody that has actually SEE me perform already knows this. BTW, I don't hear any complaints about all of the half naked women walking around in public with their boobs hanging out. (Sorry Maddi and Kara I still love you both) "That's considered art." you say? Well one of them was a minor. I call that illegal. I can't say that I'm affected by your negative comments or distaste with my act. I can't say that it will have any bearing on the future of Sheldon what so ever. As far as ActionDeath goes, I would have loved an award for the biggest dumbass at MHC... are you kidding me? In fact, I'd like to see something like that next year. It will give me something to strive for. And thank you for posting those pics... they made my day.

xxxdirk
06-17-2008, 04:31 PM
For whatever it is worth, I LOVE Sheldon, though I do worry about his safety at times. He has more guts thatn I do. I also find it funnty that I hear the words immature, and distasteful written by those in this industry. We are all immature, and shoking and distasteful and controversial.
Also, though the 47 yera old in me loved the toppless girl in the zombie walk, I was amazed that there were several, YOUNG kids, like 10 or so walking around. Gosh, where were these women when I was that age? All I had was National Geographic!

Kevin Dells
06-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Kevin,

I remember your characters too, and I was equally disgusted by those. A grown man wearing a diaper and spearing "crap" on himself? C'mon man it makes no sense. What's wrong with being a Grim Reaper? :)

talent.

Darkangel

Darkangel just for your information and maybe learning experience. That character gave me a name in this industry. Before Babyman NOBODY knew who i was as i was just starting out in the haunted attraction world.

Now there are a crapload of people who know who i am(no pun intended) not only in the feild of haunt but the city's i haunt in as well. I would say at least half of the people i meet at conventions and haunts who see me in plain clothes still address me as babyman and not as Kevin so the image sticks gross or not.

How did that character come to be we ask, am i really that sick in the head to dream something like that up? Well thats a funny storyactually.

It was dreamt up by a group of haunt owners one late night after closing our haunt back in Illinois, i just happened to be part of that group. If i recall we had owners visiting, we finished up and got together for a few beverages and talked haunting. One of them said (and i won't list names but he is very well known) asked whats the nastiest you have ever had in your haunt or seen. They chatted about different storys for awhile and then like actors do with improv they kind of went around and created this character.

That following weekend Babyman was born and entertained in our midway for two years every weekend. When we lost our haunt i had many haunts contact me to come act for them so myself along with a few of our best spent the following two seasons on the road touring the biggest crowd drawing haunts in Illinois and Wisconsin.

xxxdirk was one owner and Ken Spriggs another just to name a couple. Sorry it was cold Ron i would have loved to do Babyman for your crowd as you requested but 20 degree's and 40 mph wind gusts are kind of my limit of scantily clad.

So Angel i wouldn't just write my characters off, they have intimidated crowds many nights. Not scary you say, i beg to differ. Yeah he comes on all gross and nasty but i first play him as cute and funny and innocent, then when the group gets comfortable i pounce all over their asses.

But hey maybe i"ll take your advice and hang up the diaper for a cloak and sickle this season as every Halloween store stocks them,shouldn't be hard to find but hey i"ll at least be traditional as i walk around silent not scaring anybody because there are only what 50,000 Grim reapers in this world come October!

Did i say traditional or should i have termed it very overused. Or hey i could be a clown with a chainsaw or Freddy or Jason or a zombie or a ghost! Yeah you don't see that 10,000 times a year!

And since were kind of on the subject of distastful i may as well not build the schenes i have for this season to go along with the hillbilly having sex with the archery dear we had last year. Yeah our crowd favortie schene last season!

My new schenes are a Go Go dancing cage, and an alien with a huge meniacle ray gun anal probe and an actor strapped to his table sceaming, no that won't get their attention!

So welcome to my little screwed up world of Shock and AWE, seems to be pretty cool to draw the huge crowds we do and yes parking is a problem for us. Seems our four parking lots are always full! Good problem to have!

Darkangel
06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Tater, you winning a competition with your gross out acting style...OK, who might I asked were the judges? Oh that's right it wasn't the public, the people who actually pay money to enjoy a show it was judged by Haunt people. You can't say everyone likes it because you won a competition, judged by other haunters.

Dirk, we as an industry do not have to think of ourselves as distasteful and immature. I happen to subsribe to the select few in this industry who consider themselves business people. Hark working, decent, family oriented in most cases, intelligent business people who could be successful in other types of business because they see the big picture. This is yet again another example of how we dig our own graves and why people look down on haunters rather than respect them.

If you guys need to do the childish gross out dirty diaper shock routines then by all means do it. I'll be down the street entertaining the mainstream folks doing press interviews because the press would rather speak with a normal person first, haunter second, then a weirdo who is stuck in 70's era techniques doing whatever to get some reaction while not even realizing he's embarrassing himself/herself and making the show they are employed at look bad and low class...

Kevin Dells
06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank you it meens the world to me to have your approval!

Darkangel
06-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Kevin, if making a name for yourself constitutes a grown man wearing a diaper with crap smeared over you then you can keep your name. For me, I'll be a played out reaper but I'll maintain my dignity and self respect. You build amazing sets, and you have a strong passion if you decided to do that alone you can build a name for yourself. I've seen your "act" before I believe it was at Deamreapers. Obviosly you went to the same school for acting as Sheldon as you both like to get in peoples way and not move, annoying them, not letting them pass and not intimidated them or scaring them. There is nothing a slight guy in a diaper can do to intimidate, sorry...I know you moved down South, might want to leave those acts up North is about the best advice I can give....But again you do a great job with building sets Kevin.

Darkangel

UndeadProd
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
One of the reasons why MHC was such a great and uplfting experience was the limited exposure to drama, ego, and feuding. There was a great, positive vibe that seemed to fill the air -- and the 4 of us left Columbus feeling envigorated and ready to meet the challenges of the coming season.

Any chance we could keep some of that groovy vibe going for just a little longer, and avoid another flame war on the boards? Can we just agree to disagree on the cultural significance of dirty diapers and bloody nose pickers?

I consider myself to be a business man. I try to run our haunt as professionally as possible. And yes, there are definitely styles of haunting and acting that would not fit in with our marketing and mission for ScareHouse (or our intended audience) ... but that doesn't mean that I don't appreicate the highly creative and entertaining antics of the more extreme characters and actors in the business.

The ScareHouse folks all loved watching the antics from the DreamReapers guys ... their quick wits and improv skills are remarkable and highly memorable.

hauntedhousenut
06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
You folks need to settle down. Darkangel correct me if i'm wrong, they way i'm interpeting your analogy is that your saying sheldon, and kevin were like the fat girls that never got any attention, so they became punk rockers, that's kinda of like professional teams that use gimmick offenses to hide their weakness.

on the other hand kevin is a pretty cool dude.

Tater
06-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Darkangel

you know your right...it wasnt judged by the public...because if i was i sure as hell wouldnt of gotten second place...let me post alil video and you can see my reaction when the crowd came to a rawr. Now it is a long video so you might have to go the bathroom between times but listen they actually chant for me and the first place winner.

30SeS0f1C-I

SHELDON
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm just curious. Have any of you actually met the guy that plays me? Do you know anything about him at all, other than the given?

Tater
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I know that sheldon is kickass...and works for DreamReapers...and i have nothing but love for Ken Spriggs so therefore I have nothing but love for Sheldon and the rest of the DreamReapers Crew!!!

badass
06-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Kevin it sounds like you have a kick ass haunt there...my kinda place..

and Sheldon..I loved your bit...and some other actors i have seen at dreamreapers....like the guy in the hospital robes pickin stuff..hell yeah my kinda entertainment..

and Tater....I was one of em yellin....you had m at hello..haha

drfrightner
06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
I watched Jackass the movie and found the skits with the old lady 110% funny, they do a lot of those things. I think I even seen on Jackass where they do a wheelchair skit and it is funny. But again that is a movie so ...

If someone did something to make the industry look bad, or jeopardized a function or event I would be upset. I wasn't there so I don't know...

But clearly MHC people went to have fun and just party...so maybe it got a big carried away. These kinds of things don't happen at Transworld or IAAPA, at least not that I've ever seen. People come to those shows to buy and sell and do business.

Doing business takes time, it takes time to make decisions
that affect your business. When you watch the videos of all the people dressed up in costumes, or running around in wheel chairs, or the overwhelming amount of enthusiast, home haunters, actors or whomever, clearly this show is a very social experience first and foremost.

So when you get a bunch of people coming together to hang out, drink, party, dress up things might get a little wild. I think it is to be expected.

I personally would agree with who ever said it that we should conduct ourselves as professionals at our industry tradeshows. I think people are consider haunt fans, horror fans, or gothic people or whomever or haunters as weird people...we don't have to be perceived that way for sure.

We can be perceived as professionals for a professional industry, an industry that now deserves more respect, and should hold itself and its industry to a higher standard.

The only way you put your attractions on the top of the heap is to view this as a business first, a passion second, otherwise you'll go broke, make bad decisions and never achieve the ultimate goals.

We all have passion, and we all love to have a good time, and there is a time and place for that...but we as an industry need to first and foremost start respecting ourselves, our industry, and come together if we expect the major sponsors of the world to back us or the general public to take us as legit entertainment worth of the prices we want to charge.

I am on a soapbox, and I'm not slamming anyone because I wasn't there and I didn't see anything and I'm NOT refering to this specific situation just making a general statement.

This WHOLE industry needs to stop the politics, and come together and then and only then can we achieve greatness.

Larry

lurker
06-17-2008, 11:25 PM
"Here come old flattop, he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball, he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine, he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger, he shoot coca-cola
He say "I know you, you know me"
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
Come together right now over me" -The Beatles

actiondeath
06-17-2008, 11:29 PM
As far a jeopardizing future zombie walks... ask the two cars of Columbus Police who were absolutely rolling with laughter. Ask the people at the outdoor diners that were jumping fences to take pictures with me. Ask the passing motorists who actually slowed down so I could hitch a ride on their bumper. They all looked very upset.

Thank you. From where I was standing it looked and sounded like total chaos. I wasn't aware that the police got a chuckle out of it. Watch me as I sing a new tune. mememememememememeeeeeeeeee... Funny what a reasonable response can accomplish. I still think it was ignorant and dangerous though. LOL

BTW, I don't hear any complaints about all of the half naked women walking around in public with their boobs hanging out. (Sorry Maddi and Kara I still love you both) "That's considered art." you say? Well one of them was a minor. I call that illegal.

They were asked at the park to throw something over their goods. I dunno if I'd call it "art", but I was informed that being topless in Columbus is 100% legal. I was too busy to check ID's though. If one of them is a minor, I know about a dozen photographers who should probably yank some pics off of the internet right quick. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know that one of them was underage?

As far as ActionDeath goes, I would have loved an award for the biggest dumbass at MHC... are you kidding me? In fact, I'd like to see something like that next year. It will give me something to strive for. And thank you for posting those pics... they made my day.

I can't award anything for MHC, but you would certainly have my vote. Takes some serious sack to pull that kind of stuff. If you want more photos, google search "zombie walk columbus" and look around for some recent stuff. There are a LOT of pics of you. Someone got you on video too. It's on youtube.

SSP
06-17-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derdrache/2579057823/

wwaaaahahahahahahaha. Wish I could have gone, I was told about the happenings of a great event, and also this unfortunate fiasco. It's a shame how some pride and a false sense of "responsibility" can really over-shadow a good time. After all, this wouldn't be a message board without blowing up miniscule and pointless issues.

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 12:56 AM
He's famous... next thing you know Jackass will be calling him! And one day we'll all say 'I remember the day when we knew the guy...' BAM them a Mack Truck runs over his wheelchair and we repeat that line...

LOL

Larry

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 01:04 AM
zm_QrMlg6uQ

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Man O man you guys are complaining about the guy in the wheel chair about the the zombie chic with no shirt with only blood covering his boobs!!! WOW!

Also I must say I've never seen so many HOT zombies running around!

You know something like that should have recieved NATIONAL PR!

That would have been fun!

Larry

Rich Hanf
06-18-2008, 06:23 AM
This generally wont let me post so this is a test

Darkangel
06-18-2008, 06:29 AM
You folks need to settle down. Darkangel correct me if i'm wrong, they way i'm interpeting your analogy is that your saying sheldon, and kevin were like the fat girls that never got any attention, so they became punk rockers, that's kinda of like professional teams that use gimmick offenses to hide their weakness.

on the other hand kevin is a pretty cool dude.

That is exactly what I'm saying. These seem to be the people in their youth who maybe never fit in and now they will do anything to get a rise out of people for attention. It's sad. Look at Tater, he sounds like he thrived off hearing people call his name, and it sounds like the dude dressed up as a woman? Unbelieveble!! That's an accomplihment?

Larry agreed with me because he is a businessman first, haunter second. We have weirdos acting out at our shows and conevntions and then we want sponsors to take us seriously? We ask for respect by the public? We ask for acceptance as a viable source of entertainment? Guess what, it's not going to happen like this.

Darkangel

badass
06-18-2008, 08:05 AM
yep topless is 100% legal..24 hours a day..right out in the streets..

Columbus Ohio...is a good place to live...

this forum is like a big haunting family...

families do not always agree..but we love each other..

btw... some of the family is azzholes...haha

I am over that...and action doesn't work at our haunt..

I do not think he works for any haunt...

I can't believe how many hits this thread has had.....

welp back to buildin haunted houses...

welp....off to lowes......i am out of screws

Ken Spriggs
06-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Yes the family being mentioned is mine!

I think opinions are like Azzholes.....everyone has one.
Some of us actually have more!!!!

You really want the world to take us serious?
Sorry....it isn't going to happen.
We play with dolls......dummies.......corpses.......and we usually wear black
Sorry we are the most misunderstood bunch of people.
We always get wierd looks walking down the street....even when acting normal

I am about to steal someones line here.....

Do you think that walking corpses be could offensive to a person that just had a relative die?

It is kind of funny......WHERE IS SHANE?
I have a new found liking to him......we have a few things in common.

maddi005
06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
If you guys need to do the childish gross out dirty diaper shock routines then by all means do it. I'll be down the street entertaining the mainstream folks doing press interviews because the press would rather speak with a normal person first, haunter second, then a weirdo who is stuck in 70's era techniques doing whatever to get some reaction while not even realizing he's embarrassing himself/herself and making the show they are employed at look bad and low class...

who the heck wants to be normal...lol....forget that...i can be a business woman, have fun, and be abnormal...its the ability to seperate the different personalities and knowing when to act a certain way...seriously, i think you should give up the battle...you arent gonna change our minds, and i am certain we arent goin to change yours...sooooo lets just let the whole thing drop, and talk about how much fun MHC was...the greatest show for haunters...

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey Ken,

I for not even one second think normal GQ type people will ever think some gothic girl is normal, or some haunted guy working in his haunt all day with latex dripping down his arm will be normal.

I'm talking about as an industry, a professional industry, we should be taken serious by other professional industires.

Let me put it to you this way...

If you want NET 30 from radio stations, television stations, credit for important vendors, and so on ad so forth then you need to be professional when you meet these people, and be taken as a serious business otherwise they won't EVER give you these kinds of terms, which you need to advance your business.

If I met with a radio station dressed like a bloody zombie a radio station or sponsor would be like ahhhhhh yeah... right.

I will tell you something the thing that ALWAYS BOTHERED ME... was BOB TURNER when he wrote articles for TAP magazine on behalf of IAHA several years ago. All the writters had a little picture of themselves next to the articles and ever issue here is BOBS PICTURE with that clown hat on, bullet hole in his head with blood flowing down his face.

That really ticked me off big time... you're writting for a professional magazine, to a trade industry, and here is Bob making us look like fools. I complained to the magazine and to Liz FOral who was the President of the time, and well he stopped doing it. Don't ge me wrong because I think Bob did a GREAT JOB writting for the magazine, it was a lot of work, but I don't want our industry percieved as a bunch of grown men with clown suits and blood flowing down our face.

We have vendors who would like other industries to take us serious and get in the industry... but you have to be taken serious first.

Larry

hauntedhousenut
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
from what I hear is that shane was told to tone down, and walk in lockstep, or else, so he decided to leave, that's to bad because the guy was funny at times.

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Ken,

FYI... I think the guy in the wheelchair, the whole zombie walk thing was a fun thing, and what he was doing was funny. Sooo... he I love jackass the movies. I hope when he does that he doesn't get hurt.

If he did get hurt though that might have whipped up a bunch of negative PR for the event.

There are two ways to look at it... but more so I see the whole SHOW as a social event, people came to let it all hang out, just like the naked zombie girl...she let it all hang out.

LOL

Larry

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Nut,

Shane was never given an 'or else' anything. He was told he could continue to make all the comments he wants, but he needed to stop the racial slurs, continued attacks on vendors, and stuff like that. He says he is who he is... and more or less I guess that means he has to stir up drama or else he's not happy.

I'm still waiting to see Shane talk about his haunted house, offer some feedback about a haunted house, post videos, photos or anything rather than make threats, make sexual comments, racial slurs, attacks on vendors, or just being a drama queen.

As for his haunt, his views on haunting, he's a man of mystery. I think we'll just have to go out to his haunt this October and check it out for ourselves.

Who's coming with me? I just hope he doesn't sick his Lions on me.

Larry

hauntedhousenut
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
For one, he did back off of scareparts once he got paid and hasn't said anything negative since about them here, and as far as the racial slurs, I think that was really overblown you could tell he was kidding, like I said before it is a quieter place without him.

I'll go with you to see his place larry, but I'll make sure not to stand too close to you when they throw you in the Lions Den. ><

SHELDON
06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
I must admit... I've been thinking about this thread all day long and I've come to a few conclusions.
1. I never intended to insult, disrupt, mock or disrespect the haunt community. I merely saw a chance to do what I love to do... Drag people from their comfort zone. Sheldon is not as scary as 5'2'' girl in a zombie mask, I'll give you that.
He has no real place in or at a haunted house. He has no real place anywhere for that matter. BUT, when patrons of our house see a ghoul running towards them, sure, its scary for a moment. At least until they gather themselves enough to remember that its only a guy in makeup. When Sheldon rolls by doing his "thing" its, "Holy sh*t! WTF was that? I hope he doesn't come over here. Look...LOOK!" I have other characters that follow the typical haunted house mold and maybe I made a poor decision by unleashing Sheldon on Columbus but I'm sure that I could gather a few hundred people that would disagree. Sheldon is nothing more than something to catch you off your guard and entertain you at the same time. I know that some of you here completely missed the point which is... there is no point, just sit back and laugh and try not to fall off of your self-righteous high horse.
2. Where were all of these complaints when I was AT THE SHOW? I'm sure that any one of the whiners posting crap on here had a dozen chances to unload their laundry lists of disdain in person. That might have been the PROFESSIONAL course of action. Did I use that buzz word correctly?
3. And this is the one that bothered me. I completely respect everyone on this site and acknowledge the fact that you're entitled to your opinions but when it ceases to be a character roast and becomes a personal attack, then be prepared for the backlash. If you want to play in the dirty end of the field, thats fine, I LOVE to play along and am MORE than capable of dishing out some home hitting tongue lashings, but don't spill your tears here.
4. Lastly, while taking part in entertaining 3000 people a night at Dream Reapers, I've made people into track stars, made people wet themselves, vomit in bushes and faint. I can't tell you how many guys have botched their evenings by throwing their dates in front of them for protection. However, I had never made a grown man cry like a baby... until now. So thank you.
This should be the last of my posts on this subject unless, of course, somebody decides to throw some more gas on the fire.

-Sheldon (Makeup Matt)

P.S. I know that one of the topless women was a minor because she was discussing with her group how much she hates her P.E. class because it "messes up my hair for 5th period". And how she couldn't make the mascaraed ball because her Mom said no. Do they have P.E. in college? IDK.

Killer Katie
06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Are we FINALLY done discussing Sheldon and can we please get back to what everybody thought of MHC???? I love the personalities in this forum, but damn are they long winded and won't let anything go - whether on topic or not! Sheesh...

Patti Ludwinski
06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Shouldn't this entire thread be moved to the INDUSTRY DEBATES FORUM, not the main FRIGHT FORUM.?.? Larry, wake up and do your job...Get this silly thing moved. I thought we were clearing the FRIGHT FORUM for helpful industry news and industry knowledge.

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Sheldon,

I think what you did was funny, brave and well kinda stupid because you could have got hurt or maybe caused an accident. It's everything rolled into one. Like I said I love Jackass and they do that stuff all the time, and they aren't the only ones entited to do stuff like that. When you simply watch the video it's nothing but FUNNY as HELL!

If you would have got hurt or caused an accident you would have brought a lot of negative attention of the function which would have been bad. But that didn't happen so... it is a mute point.

Like I said before it seemed to me like everyone was having a great time, and when you get a bunch of zombies together ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!!

LOL

Larry

Killer Katie
06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
What goes "Whack thud whack thud?"
That's what you get when you beat a dead horse.
I'm with you all the way Patti!

Haunted Illinois
06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
The people here like dead horses... they're haunters! :P

drfrightner
06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Adam,

Good one!

Larry

Killer Katie
06-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Ouch, Adam... that hurt! LOL

Kevin Dells
06-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Larry im a true disfunctional Jack ass lover myself! Those guys are hysterical with everything they do.

I guess that does go to show just how off the pie chart i really am.

To those who hated my character Thank you, to those that loved it, thank you even more, the thing is it got your attention, you remembered it from years ago.

Im never going to change those types of characters because right or wrong and how they make a haunt look dosen't really matter to me as long as we have long lines, thats what matters... I realize this because yes i do know we have a bussiness to run.

Im moving on from this topic, just because i took my shot at the horse and yes it really is dead. I have a ton of work to do besides debating stupid crap on hauntworld.

And if i can scrape up a little free time in the next few months i just may shove a hot wheel up my ass and go see a doctor for x-rays, man it would kill me to fight back the laughter! See everybody in another topic!

Lets see the firetruck or the Red Baron? No thats got spikes on it's roof! Firetruck it is!

Haunted Illinois
06-19-2008, 06:34 PM
P.S. I know that one of the topless women was a minor because she was discussing with her group how much she hates her P.E. class because it "messes up my hair for 5th period". And how she couldn't make the mascaraed ball because her Mom said no. Do they have P.E. in college? IDK.

Sheldon, there were other key indicators that she wasn’t of age. When she arrived, the hard-hat with the little light on it was a dead giveaway! :P

Jolly Pumpkin
06-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Personally I thought Sheldon was hysterical. If your character is so convincing that people actually think that you are a deranged handicapped lunatic then you must be doing something right. He takes his character to another level and I love it. I was about to get a picture with him at MHC, but I was a little hesitant because I had a fear of what He might do. I'm still shocked that the convention center didn't kick out the actors who came in with realistic looking guns. I don't care if it's a Zombie Walk or not. You can't do that anywhere because you have no idea if one of those guns may be real. I enjoyed the Zombie Walk, but in a way it made the industry look bad. Many people have a negative image of what the haunt industry is and the people involved. And if you have a convention that is full of people walking around mimicking zombies than it makes the convention look unprofessional along with the industry it's associated with. It gives the appearance that the haunt industry is just adults roaming around in makeup playing make believe.

lurker
06-20-2008, 05:13 PM
On a different note,
I found this great picture of Barry working hard at MHC this year. You can see the weariness in his eyes...
lol

Tater
06-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I see something in Barrys eyes but i dont think its Weariness...

drfrightner
06-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Barry is the man!!!!

Larry