PDA

View Full Version : Help, any ideas on where to get paint?

xxxdirk
06-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I need to buy a bunch of flat black paint. $14 at MEnards for Conco there. Any other ideas?

Jonathan
06-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Ron,

Menards is local so try to tag them as a sponsor for some supplies or discounts. THey are usually pretty good. Otherwise I would actually try HoBo.

AW
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
chech you local home depot or Loews - We went to loewa and told them we nned the least expensive black we could get - $33.00 for a 5 gallon bucket - they only had 12 so we bought them all - but before we went we got phone qoutes averaging around $38.00 per 5 gallon from both - Also if you have a Farm & Family
or Central Tractor ( we live in the boonies) they have black barn and fence paint for $8.00 a gallon it is really thick and you can cut it with water
\Aven

mindtumor
06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Walmart. $7 something a gallon here in Flint, Michigan.

Midnight13
06-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Look for a local paint manufacturer.
There is one in my town (Willamette Valley...http://www.wilvaco.com/ they make stencil paint). They have several locations across the country. I buy 55 gal drums of black paint for about $4 a gallon.

Monster-Tronics
06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Not sure how much paint tints costs these days but Id check the price of tint and buy the return blem paint that most places sell between $2 and $5 bucks a gal and tint them black.

damon carson
06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Always could buy cheap white paint and pour in grey in smaller containers. This might sound like a smart a$@ answer but Ive done it to save money. Believe me if you can save a $ doing this haunt stuff do it. Not everybody has the big bucks to throw around. I sure dont. I feel proud when I score a deal at a thrift shop or a yard sale. Or dumpster dive and create something with my imagination and save big bucks making an awesome looking prop that might have cost me $50.00 bucks. You might ask friends or people you know who have cans of white laying around? What are you painting? Wall panels? If so this could be a long process doing it this way but you may be able to get a few done.
Damon

xxxdirk
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all of your ideas, however we are painting about 200 panels both sides.

MMManiac
06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
does it have to be pure black? What we do is go to the brown county recycling center. (open thursay and saturdays) They give away people old paint for free. They usualy have all kind/colors. We get the darkest colors we can find (grays, browns, reds, and occasional black) We mix them all together in 5 gallon buckets and we usually get a tone of black.

Not the ideal paint, buts its FREE!

icandrawem2
06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Now when you say "people old" paint, that could be 2 years old or 70 years old! "How old is that paint you got there?"....."Oh this? Its people-old"

All jokes aside, 33 bucks for 5 gals is a steal! I used to pay upwards of 55-60 for 5gal at Lowes...then again i was getting exterior so that may have been the difference.

xxxdirk
06-26-2008, 10:13 PM
great idea Sean. Hety, BTW, give me a shout when you would like a bunch of my crew come up for afew hrs or so n help.....

SomeThingInTheIce
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Sometimes, Lowes will have paint mixed that was not bought, so they mark it way down to get it out of there. If the colors are right you can buy them and mix to make black. I was able to do this once.