PDA

View Full Version : Transworld Press Release

The Ghoulish Gallery
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
For Immediate Release - July 1, 2008

TransWorld Exhibits, Inc. Moves 14th National Haunt & Attractions Show
to the America’s Center in St. Louis
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Venue Selected in Response to Growth of Haunt Industry

(Northfield, IL) – In an exciting move, TransWorld Exhibits, Inc. announced its decision to move the 14th National Haunt & Attractions Show (HauntShow) to St. Louis, Missouri, at the America’s Center, March 27 – 29, 2009.

Previously held in conjunction with TransWorld’s International Halloween, Costume & Party Show (HCPShow), the HauntShow will stand on its own in St. Louis, Missouri, giving the buyers and vendors of the Haunt community convenient access to the industry’s #1 trade show in a business environment created just for them.

“After extensive market research and input from vendors and buyers alike, we decided to spin-off the 14th National Haunt & Attractions Show and have it stand alone in a Midwest location that is central to the greatest number of participants in this industry,” said Joe Thaler, chairman and chief executive officer of TransWorld Exhibits, Inc., owner of the show. “The Haunt industry continues to grow with advances in special effects, animatronics, sound & lighting, and props. More and more, these products are used in venues on a year-round basis whether it is in a theme park, theatrical production or a haunted house. This growth within the industry demands a stand-alone trade show dedicated solely to the Haunt industry,” Thaler continued. “St. Louis is the perfect gateway to a marketplace where the Haunt community can come together.”

The complete schedule of activities for the 14th National Haunt & Attractions Show in St. Louis will be announced in the coming weeks. Highlights of the show will include:

• New product introductions from the industry’s leading companies
• Extensive seminar programming
• Networking events and competitions
• Special events and tours, and much more

The TransWorld International Halloween, Costume & Party Show will continue to host a Haunt Pavilion as Haunt products are also fundamental to the celebration of the Halloween season and the buyer of Halloween and
seasonal merchandise. The HCPShow will take place March 6 – 9, 2009 at the Sands Expo & Convention Center in Las Vegas.

Special exhibit packages are available for exhibitors that wish to participate in both the St. Louis and Las Vegas events.

For more than 60 years, TransWorld Exhibits has been a leading producer of independent trade shows. The business, which had its roots in the housewares and consumer electronics industry, has over the years expanded its offerings to include general merchandise, Halloween merchandise, giftware, seasonal items, luxury merchandise, jewelry, fashion and accessories. The firm runs trade shows in Chicago, Las Vegas, and St. Louis.

For more information on attending or exhibiting, please call 800-323-5462 or 847-446-8434 for international calls. Information is also available at www.hauntshow.com and www.hcpshow.com.

MMManiac
07-01-2008, 02:56 PM
"After extensive market research" - AKA: Phone calls to Larry

"• New product introductions from the industry’s leading companies
• Extensive seminar programming
• Special events and tours, and much more"

-So how is this show any different from MHC or Hauntcon besides the date and location? Wasn't the point of this change to be a haunt buyer/seller show without all the jazzy extras? Looks like its pretty much the same to me.

If we really want to ban together as a haunt community we will boycott the Transworld show, let them fold and focus all our attention to MHC and make that the show to attend!

TheNightMare
07-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for posting this info. But I do not want to go 2 shows even though I buy from both sides. It was convienent as 1 show.

damon carson
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow Im hoping this for real! I cant wait! Great job Larry!
Damon

graystone
07-01-2008, 03:18 PM
You said it all. But then again its really no surprise!!!! Well I told Barry that Dabbs Productions and Graystone Manor would pay to be a sponcer for the 2009 MHC show! So I am off to Texas for the Halloween show and then to Ohio for the Haunt Show. Transworld and Larry will be a good team together! When it folds they can blame each other!!! The only thing that made TransWorld great to me was the only Halloween/Haunt show out there! So now they have nothing to offer me anyway. Larry no hard feelings I just hope everything you have told all your followers is true because they won't blame TransWorld they are going to blame YOU! Also DO NOT RIP THESE PEOPLE OFF TO SEE YOUR HAUNT!! Charge what you would normally charge at Halloween! Larry, TransWorld I wish you both all th best! Sean count me in on the boycott I think Paul and some others will join in too! Larry nothing really to you but TransWorld just nailed the last nail in their coffin! Tim thanks for the info! Shane

megaplay
07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Sorry but it doesn't matter where the show is the fact it is going to be two shows it is going to fail. Vendors will get half the people seeing their items if they only attend one show. If they decide to do both the cost obviously just doubled.

Patti Ludwinski
07-01-2008, 04:06 PM
From what I understand, there was NO DECISION made to break the 2 entities apart. The retail costumers broke themselves apart when they decided to start up their own show in Houston and NOT invite us along. The retail costume vendors never ever seemed to like us from the start...remember.?.?

Motograter
07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Sounds good to me. Let's just hope this location stays and is final. I don't want to come on here next week and read that Transworld is back in Vegas for 2009.

Nightgore
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
About time!!! See you all in St. Louis! -Tyler

mindtumor
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
The show will be fine. If the vendors are there the buyers will be there. No one is going to ban together and boycott, that would be stupid and gain nobody anything. We should welcome a haunt only show that we can all help make huge and don't come back and say we should just support MHC because I am sure that show is really good but it doesn't look like they are interested in moving it up and June-July is too late to have the only haunt show. We should support this move because it is the right thing to do for our industry.

graystone
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Mind have you not looked around? It seems you and Tyler are taking turns placing your heads up Larry's butt! We already have a several Haunt only shows DAMN! MCH, HAUNTCON, EHC, AND SEVERAL SMALLER SHOWS! TransWorld had the best of both worlds Halloween merchandise and Haunt related merchandise! I talked with a Major Vendor today But I will not call their names because they don't come here. Why? I don't know But they said something that hit the nail on the head with me. Why not Columbus? Thats where a few of the major vendors are so why not there. Also this Vendor stated that they felt like TransWorld would die out and MHC and the others would continue. They also stated with all the cost to show it was getting to where it was just not worth it. Also they stated that the internet was growing with orders and they could place video of their product right on the net and not cost them a dime! You know it really sit with me I think they are right. I suggested to them maybe we could go to a every other year show. That way they could work on new products and show more products every other year rather than yearly. They agreed it was a thought! Also if your going and part of your trip is to see haunts. Well correct me if I am wrong but will you not get tired of seeing the same Haunt every year? Again Larry, TransWorld good luck the final curtain will fall soon! Shane

mindtumor
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
So once again you have been talking to someone MAJOR but won't say who huh? STFU Shane!

graystone
07-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I told them I would not put it here but for the record here is my phone 256-710-0515 hell call collect I will be more than glad to tell you who it is and you can call them and they will be glad to tell you we talked. I can back up what I say. Jared I am serious people are talking your really sucking up and Tyler is right there with you. I will also tell you whos talking when you call. So if you want to know call me I have no problems telling you who it is! Hell give me your number I will call you. Then after you talk to me and call them then come back here and delete the STFU post because I would have proven I back up what I say. I am here now waiting. Jared I do more than talk I can PROVE! NOW if you don't want to hear then you STFU! Shane

The Ghoulish Gallery
07-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Patti, you are correct. Rubie's basically forced the seperation of the Halloween and Haunt shows.

MHC and Hauntcon are great shows - I've exhibited at both numerous times and have good relationships with both Barry and Leonard - but they are more conventions not tradeshows. There is a huge difference between the two. However, it is important to understand that both these shows have a really important role in all this as they serve as sort of a springboard for new companies to break into this industry.

What Transworld is trying to do here is create a HauntShow that is an expanded, stand alone trade show for our specific industry that will be quite different than what any of us have known before.

If our industry is to grow, we need to bring in more buyers from other markets that can use our product. We're talking buyers from agri-tainment ventures like corn mazes and pumpkin patches. We're talking about buyers from amusement parks and family fun centers all across the country that put on seasonal Halloween events. We're talking about bringing in new vendors too so that this new show basically becomes a haunt industry version of IAAPA but without the roller coasters.

Also, for Shane and others, understand that this is NOT the Larry show. This is Tranworld's show. Transworld is writing the checks, not Larry. Obviously Larry wanted this show in his hometown and he lobbied hard for that but ultimately the decision on location was determined through an anonymous vote by vendors of this industry and through input from several large buying groups.

Believe me when I say that Transworld has put a lot of checks and balances into place to ensure this show would and will continue to represent our entire industry.

While Larry and I don't always see eye to eye, I am mature enough to give credit where it is due. The idea of an expanded haunt show was Larry's idea and it was a damn good one. Many, many other locations were discussed and fought for before things finally settled on St. Louis. Transworld passed out cost comparison spread sheets to many vendors and those hard numbers on costs are what largely drove the vote for where this show should ultimately be.

Just because Larry was super vocal doesn't mean he had a lot of say in the final decision. It just means Larry is a proud haunt owner and he really, really wants an opportunity to show off his haunt. None of us should hold that against him because I doubt there is a haunt owner out there that would not have felt the same way were they in his shoes.

Seriously guys, this show can easily be a tremendous unifying factor for this industry. Let's not label this anyone's show other than Transworlds. To do anything else shows that you are uninformed of the facts and, in a certain sense, it helps divide this industry even more.

This show isn't about the power of personal politics, it's about creating a TRADESHOW for all of us so that our industry can get a more proportionate share of a mutimillion dollar market.

Christ, did i just defend Larry ?!!

Tim Turner
www.theghoulishgallery.com

mindtumor
07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh ok so if you agree with someone on something you are sucking up? Well ok lets see I have agreed with you on issues in the past so wouldn't that mean I suck up to you as well? I agreed with The Ghoulish Gallery on this to so I guess I sucked up to him as well. And Nightgore and I must be sucking up to eachother because since we agree with EVERYTHING Larry says we are also agreeing with eachother so obviously we are sucking up there as well. Oh and I how could I forget that I am sucking up to Patti too. Oh and Bill my own haunt partner I get to suck up to him all the time. I gave you my number via private message you can feel free to call me as well but give me a chance to get a glass of water first because my mouth and lips are awefully dry now.

Speculo
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't get it...

The show is split by the action of Rubies - No one wanted this but what remains in Vegas may not be very impressive. They did it.. they broke the Vegas show. I didn't want a split show either, but split by other forces it is. (sounds like Yoda...)
Most if not all of the Halloween vendors are going to Houston and they are slamming the door in OUR face.

OUR vendors have banded together and have choosen St. Louis..

WHY can't we get behind it and support OUR vendors?

Re: Hauntcon and MHC -

Hauntcon the premier HAUNT TOUR show is already set for all the way up in Wisconsin next year -

MHC is an excellent late season show that does exactly what its founders intended. They have already said they are bound to the same dates in 09 -
They couldn't move into Feb-March if they wanted to.

Even IF Hauntcon and MHC wanted to go for the brass ring this next year the locked in dates and locations don't work for it.

OUR vendors have choosen St. Louis in 09 -

If Hauntcon and MHC want to take it on in 2010 now is the time to start planning!
If they want to take it , bite the bullet, book dates in Feb- March in the midwest and go for it.

But 2009 is done.

We should go where our vendors go - and lets all CHEER that a decision has been made!

From this point on its just armchair quarterbacking and sour grapes. Lets get behind this show, get behind this industry, build some killer haunts and get on with the 2008 HAUNTED HOUSE SEASON!

Thanks!

megaplay
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I am lost as why people are so happy with this.
The show is now half the size. Yes I spent most of my time in the haunt area but you still walk through the retail side and see a lot of products that can be retailed or can help get your house noticed. Oh and vendors for either side complaining about having to give their sales pitch to someone who is just look, well that is your job as a vendor. Don't like it don't vend and don't go to the shows and hope on just your website. There is no way to know if someone is going to buy from you or not until they have left the place and never called you. The person from the retail side might buy a giant prop for his personal home haunt or to promote his business. And on the other side a person from haunt might but items for retail at their haunt or odd stuff to help promote the house.
Costume places are either going to attend both shows causing their cost to go up and pricing. Or more likely will drop the new haunt only show and we will have to buy through a third party and again with higher prices.
People complain about the price Transworld charges but yet still so happy to have their name (and we can only assume right now) high cost still associated with it.
So now we have the same high cost and half the people walking around. Seems great for vendors.
The complain about MHC is it is too small or too much of a social event. But what do you think Transworld just became. It is MHC in a different location. Yes this year Transworld may have the bigger vendors but hopefully MHC can take that over shortly too.

hauntedhousenut
07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I'll be there!

Grimley
07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I think Transworld just F..ked themselves. The fact of the matter is if a vendor had any business sense at all they go to the show with the most traffic. They are not going to show at both. There are too many shows out there like the one Transworld wants to spin off. Its not a buyers only show that has been hinted over and over again on this site. It sounds just like Hauntcon and MHC.

Lets just say they get MOST of the vendors that show normally in the haunt section. You can walk through that area, talk to friends, and make your purchases in about two hours. It's not big enough for a show on its own. Why spend all of the time and money to go to such a small event. Everyone will have to pick a show and that means less traffic to both. We won't attend both so which ever companies pick the opposite show are SOL. We buy at the show. I will attend the one with the most vendors. In this case I guess it comes down to campaigning with the vendors to get them all to go to one show.

I guess I have a lot of calls to make and emails to send. I'm gonna have to push for the Vegas show simply because there is more traffic and I'd be willing to bet that is where the big bucks will be. As a buyers show its just too limited. Now I really do hope the Rubies show does really well and does a one two punch to Transworld once and for all.

drfrightner
07-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I am at the Darkness right now in finishing a meeting. I'm getting my haunted house ready for this haunted season, which is exactly what most people should already be doing. However I wanted to drop a few quick notes...

ONE: THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT the SPLIT..that is why this is happening because Rubies, RUBIES, not Transworld, NOT Larry Kirchner, not anyone but RUBIES caused this. Rubies is trying to start their own show and a lot of people are going to HOUSTON... if you don't believe me go to www.Halloweenpartyexpo.com (http://www.Halloweenpartyexpo.com) and see for yourself.

So let's drop that point... we had to start our own show, for the benefit of our industry. We can't be left behind or at the mercy of what Rubies wants to do.

SECOND: Rubies and those party people do not want a haunt section in Houston, so again you must start your own show.

THIRD: THE GOAL HERE is to make a BIGGER show, a bigger show than you've ever seen before, to bring in many of the Halloween retailers that want to sell to haunts, bring in more amusement vendors, blah, blah. So your perception of this being another MHC or whatever is dead wrong. You have to see the bigger picture. And if it works out right you will and you will be happy for it!

FORTH: Again this won't be as you put another social event...did you see Scarefactory unload 20 booths worth of new stuff at Hauntcon? NO!

Scarefactory is committed to this show and will be bring TWENTY booths or whatever they normally do of NEW stuff to St. Louis, so will Ghost Ride, Gore Galore, Scareparts, Unit 70 and Distortions and everyone else.

IN FACT... last year a booth in Vegas was about $1800.00 the booths for this show will be $1200.00 so NOW vendors can afford to buy MORE booths than before which again is better for you!!!! More booths purchased more new products...simple really.

The overall goal here was to reduce costs for vendors...mission accomplished. Second was to get back to a city that was driveable...mission accomplished.
Third get to a city that could have a great haunt tour...mission accomplished.

Lastly, bring in more vendors than ever before, bring in more buyers than ever before, re-focus all the media, education, etc on the haunt industry...not yet mission accomplished but that NOW the next step.

Bottom line is this: Scarefactory is coming! Ghost Ride is coming! Unit 70 is coming! Distortions is coming! Gore Galore is coming! Edge Design is coming! Creative Visions is coming! Skull Tronix is coming! blank blank blank blank is coming... not with one or two booths but their full blow out of new product.

As the Joker says in the new Batman movie 'This town deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm going to give it to them, you'll see'.

Our industry can now say 'We're going to give this industry a bigger, better more focused show, for the haunted industry, you'll see'.

IT IS NOT MY SHOW, only coming to where I live, Creative Visions Lives, Pale Night lives, Digital Sound and Lighting lives, and 2.5 million other people.

The Darkness will be OPEN for that Saturday night, and it will be awesome that I can promise you!!!

Larry

Nicole
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Hallelujah brother Ben...

I would have preferred Rosemont for location sake (nearby), but if this is THE show that the vendors will be rallying around and will be best for the industry, why not support it? See you in St. Louis. I am glad a "final" decision has been made and we can finally have something to rally around.

Jolly Pumpkin
07-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I thought Halloween and Haunted Attractions went hand in hand and to separate both is doing an injustice to both industries. I honestly could care less where the Haunt Show is and am happy that it's less than a 6 hour drive for me. But it's getting out of control as far as tradeshows and conventions go. There's MHC, Hauntcon, Transworld Halloween Show, Transworld Haunt Show, Iron Stock, Halloween and Party Expo, Eastern Haunters Convention, IAPPA Expo, Great Lakes Fright Fest, Texas Haunters Dinner and the list goes on and on.

Is there really a need for all these gatherings and conventions? When you have a big event like Transworld it needs to be the number one tradeshow for haunters and people in the Halloween Industry. But with the separation of both shows and new gatherings and tradeshows emerging every year it really isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. If you miss Transworld does it really matter? There are tons of other tradeshows you can be a part of rather you're a vendor or buyer. There needs to be one show that caters to haunted attractions, Halloween, the paranormal, horror, party supplies, theme parks, Christmas and divided into different sections.

All of these tradeshows and gatherings are giving me a splitting headache and I'm sure others feel the same. Next week you're gonna hear about another tradeshow on the horizon and all I'm gonna say is "so F#cking what". It's getting ridiculous to say the least and how can you separate Halloween and Haunted Attractions? That still doesn't register with me and it never will.

It's like taking away a bun from a hamburger. When you're about to eat all you'll have is the hamburger and toppings. You have to have a bun to to hold the burger together. And you have to have Halloween and haunted attractions side by side if you expect Transworld to survive. But either way I'm looking forward to checking out The Darkness and I hope it lives up to the hype.

Frighteners Entertainment
07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
It's unfortunate for sure.
Looks like we'll be going to Houston this year.

Mark McDonough
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
First, I want to say how excited I am about this new show.

Larry and I may have started the process, but the Vendor Community as a whole has rallied together to make this happen. Please don't underemphasize how important this is.

We have done something huge here. We have created a haunt-only show. The haunt-only show. A business to business buying show. This is something we have needed for a long time.

Take a moment to think about what is happening and what it means.

We, the top vendors in the industry, the biggest dogs on the block....have gotten together and made this happen. More than anyone else in the industry, we are putting our liveleyhoods on the line here. If this fails, a lot of us are out of business.

The smartest/most experience people in the industry have been consulted. We have put untold hours of work into making this happen....and make it happen right.

This industry has two choice....grow or die. We have chosen to grow.

This is going to be our main show.
Yes, we will continue to support Hauntcon and MHC, they serve a very important function in the industry. But this is our big show...the one that keeps us in business and we are going to do everything in our power to make that happen.

I look forward to seeing you all in St. Louis, March 27-29, 2009.

Mark McDonough, president
Creative Visions
Haunt Visions

graystone
07-01-2008, 07:27 PM
See you in Houston! Shane

MMManiac
07-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Mark, Your 100% right this industry does have to die or grow, but I don't foresee transworld being part of this growth. As you can see a lot of people will not be attending transworld in 09, me being one of them. Will I miss out? Probably not. I will be going to MHC and Hauntcon in 09 not to mention any ordering I will be doing, will be done on-line anyways. I guess only time will tell how transworld 09 turns out.

Larry, you may not have anything to do with transworld and their decisions, but since you seemed to be their spokes person the past few weeks, this show is going to be tied to your name. Transworld fails, you fail...

Barry
07-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Ben's post was right on the money especially about the dates for '09. That is my only comment about this release however did find this section hilarious:

Extensive seminar programming

LOL So much for a strictly buyer seller show...

Mark McDonough
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Ok....so it's a buying show, selling show, business education show.....and after you're finished doing all those things...a party with Creative Visions show.

Joking aside, this is being modeled after the IAAPA show on a smaller scale and geared to our industry.

I'm not saying you neded to jump on board without forming your own opinion....but please don't dismiss it without having all the facts.
(that wan't aimed at you Barry...I just jumped topics)

We are going to have to work very hard to get industry unity around this, but that is what we are committed to do. No more camps. No more rallying around one person or another. None of that old BS matters. It's time we grew up and put that aside.

This is the most organized effort that this industry has ever put forth and we are going to do everything in our power to show you why it matters.

Thanks for your attention.

Mark McDonough, president
Creative Visions
Haunt Visions

Haunted Illinois
07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Ben's post was right on the money especially about the dates for '09. That is my only comment about this release however did find this section hilarious:

Extensive seminar programming

LOL So much for a strictly buyer seller show...

Yeah, Barry... I was laughing when I read that, too. The new Haunt & Attractions Show is going to have Haunt Tours, seminars, competitions and all the stuff Larry said our new "Buyer Only Show" shouldn't have, because they were such distractions from the show floor. Kinda funny how things work out sometimes. LOL.

megaplay
07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
If the show had to split because Transworld as a business can not bring their biggest vendors together and work something out then so be it.

As a community at that point the backing should have been put behind one of the already established shows such as MHC or Hauntcon and made that the official show. Not start a new show only because of the Transworld name! As mentioned in a previous post the number of shows have gotten out of hand and to add another to the vendors list does not help the community at all.

Obviously if it was MHC I think everyone would have agreed it would have had to be moved up and that would have been up to Barry and his crew if they wanted to do that.

There are only a handful of people who benefit from this new show. Transworld as they are making money off the vendors and setting up booths. Now why we want to back a company that can't get their act together already spending thousands in advertising at Vegas this year and keeping us guessing at a final decision I will not ask. The second is anyone who can open their haunt during this show and make half their profit for the year by triple over charring the community before Oct. 1.

If this was really about making the community grow backing would have been behind an already established show and throw out this middle man.

Randy Bates
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Looks like we will be going to St Louis next year. I have always been an advocate of the Transworld show, and repeatedly stated that if you are a Pro Haunter, you can't miss it. Now that the costume and Halloween show is moving to Houston, I will probably attend both shows. I can't remember the last time I bought an off the shelf costume for our attraction, but I sure spend a lot of dough with Scarefactory, Scareparts, Unit 70, Ghost ride and many others.

I go where the vendors take me, and that looks to be in the Midwest next year. If the shows run concurrently, I'll send one of my managers to Houston, and personally attend Transworld.

Midnight13
07-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't normally post much but I thought now would be a good time to throw in my 2 cents...

I have been going to Transworld for 13 (!) years. I know of only a handful of haunters that are still around that were there the first few years. Initially haunters were pretty much ignored back then or at least tolerated (hell, I even got into the infamous Rubies party a few times).

Then Haunters started coming in large numbers and companies like Rubies (and many others) started to notice us and take offense that we were breathing their air.

A few times I tried to purchase items from larger costume companies and I was met with extreme rudeness (even though I had a minimal order). Some companies even went so far as to take my order and then never deliver them.

I remember calling a manager at Charades about a $500 order that never came in and was told that Charades "couldn't wipe their ass with a $500 order and to let all haunters know that we don't want their business". This is the absolute truth. I was shocked to say the least.

I decided then and there that I couldn't care less about the costumers. Realistically how much of their Walmart crap does any haunter actually buy anyway? (if you are buying Walmart costumes, then you have bigger problems to worry about than tradeshows).

Personally I am happy they are gone (Good Riddance)! The best thing we can do is get behind this show and prove to Rubies and the others that we are independant and don't need them.

Those of you that are saying that you are going to Houston probably will be stopped at the door ,and if not, won't be able to buy anything anyway? (Why would you even want to?).

Granted there are a few smaller costume companies that will be missed (Incharacter comes to mind). However, any company that wants to sell to haunters WILL be at this show. Period.

Over the years, Rosemont has gotten more and more expensive. Because it is isolated from Chicago (unless you rented a vehicle), you are pretty much at their mercy (expensive rooms, expensive food, expensive ALCOHOL!!!). And it's too damn cold. How many of us would be screwed if a storm closed down O'Hares the weekend of the show? And Vegas was no better. How much networking did you do last year? I hardly even saw anyone.

I am all for St. Louis 100%. Everything sounds cheaper (for both vendor and buyer) and it's got to be warmer. Plus it has a major Haunt! Who doesn't want to see the Darkness?

Someone posted that people would be tired of seeing the same haunt every year. Dreamreapers was quite a Transworld favorite every year and I never heard anyone complain. Besides most major haunts change a significant portion each year.

Now I still will go to other shows for other reasons (to see Haunts, networking, etc,...) but honestly this is the show that all of the major vendors have signed on for (i.e. Scarefactory, Ghostride, etc,..). This show will happen, with or without you and who are you really going to hurt if you don't support it? Only you.

Whether you agree with Larry or not, we should all be thanking him (and whoever else was behind this) because if no one said anything and Transworld had a bad Vegas year without the costumers then they may have thrown in the towel on the whole thing. Then where would we be?

See everyone in St. Louis!

Dwayne Sanburn
Midnight Productions
13th Gate

renrok
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
As as a vendor, I have been following this whole process of the TW show and have been at that show since '96. So here is my two cents.

The chicago show has evolved/changed/grown/shrunk whatever every year. Every year there seems to be something.

Everyone remember the year that they wanted to keep the haunted house buyers restricted to the haunt section floor. I thought from a business standpoint that was great. that meant you were all potentially trapped in front of my product! from a personal standpoint I understand that buyers did not like the idea. I viewed that year as show producers attempting to calm the waters with the majority of the show floor of which we are all not.

I think that we should all, both vendors and buyers, be thankful that our industry was allowed to be part of a trade show experience AND allowed to grow regardless of any problems in the past. Without a big show there would be no vendors, no product for the haunters to buy and no growth that we have seen in the last couple of years. Those of you that have been attending the show for numerous years will probably agree with me on this point. maybe not.

With that said.

I really don't give a crap as to where the show is or who does it. As long as the costs are reasonable and the qualified buyers are there. The convention shows are great, I have backed them by either sponsorship or booth space, but they are not the chicago show. They are too late in the season for ordering and the majority of my clients can not afford to wait that long and neither can I. I see these shows as great incubators and hopefully the big show turning into and being ran like an IAPPA trade show experience, both from the vendor side and buyer side. This would be sweet for us all. Anyone who has been to IAAPA knows what I am getting at.

I / Scareparts Backed St. Louis for the following reasons:

1) it's cheaper for us. we can get more space for the same dollar and bring more product. we always get 6+ booths, now we can have more especially now that we are doing the vacuum form product.
2) hotels are cheaper, now we do not have to be 4 blocks away. And keep in mind we are there for almost a week and I usually have 3 rooms at least.
3) More options for food, from my understanding there are a lot of options right there not only to feed my crew but meet with clients.
4) climate. I am tired of driving though the snowstorm that seems to accompany the show. Tired of hearing about clients taking off early to beat the weather after we spend so much to get there. Does anyone remember that storm in the late 90's?
5) I now know who will be on the show floor. Our industry has always been the minority at the big show. There are lots of people walking the floor and our vendors have the cool stuff. I am tired of spending time chatting with someone only to find out they are not in the biz and have no real use for my product.

I have already seen the start of people taking sides and in my opinion its stupid. You should all be focused on your work at hand getting ready for your season and not worrying about '09.

I know my clients, and wherever the vendors are they will be there. Its a plane ticket either way, we are there for business and everyone cares about their business.

hauntedhousenut
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
That's the bottom line, a penny saved is a penny earned.

drfrightner
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I can't believe what I'm hearing from some people... all I can say is HAVE FUN IN HOUSTON and see if they'll let you in the door. I hope you can get good deals on Batman costumes, Spiderman costumes and lets not forget Cinderalla.

What a joke! I'm still laughing.

Whoops did I forget all the balloons, wedding supplies, Scooby Doo paper plates and all the other stuff. Wow you guys will be stocked for parties that is for sure!

LOL.

Anyone who goes to Houston and owns a haunt, and not a retail store should shoot themselves with pumpkin seeds!

This show will be for the buyers and the vendors.

This didn't happen because of something Transworld did or didn't do this is all about Rubies and the retail industry.

They made this happen and we should thank them!

Larry

drfrightner
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Couple other things...

FACTS: This show will be 100,000 square feet! They have 100,000 square feet reserved for show floor and I will bet it will be SOLD OUT! That would be about THREE times bigger than the haunt show we saw in Transworld Vegas last year.

THERE WILL BE MORE VENDORS, from MORE industries. Benefit: BUYER!

FACT: The cost of the booths will be $700.00 cheaper than VEGAS. Benifit BUYER!

Why? Because vendors will buy more booths, and if they buy more booths they'll bring more product. Again Benefit: BUYER

FACT: Travel costs to St. Louis, hotels, food, will be cheaper in St. Louis. BENEFIT: BUYER!

A couple ther things... I NEVER said there wouldn't be haunt tours, or seminars, I said there wouldn't be all the social activities that some other regional shows are known for because this focus is on buyers and sellers.

If you can find one thread where I ever said NO HAUNT TOURS... Hauntcon is built around haunt tours, so that is the focus. This shows focus is on buying and selling, bringing new products and services to market for buyers. Education is always part of the plan, and in a haunt tour does not interfere with the tradeshow, it only enhances the amount of buyers who will come.

However even though there is a haunt tour, the focus is strictly on BUYING new product...that is exactly what you will get.

THE DARKNESS WILL OPEN... it will be open with a full blown staff wih actors on Saturday night of the show with TIMED TICKETING! Meaning you will not have to wait in long lines like in Vegas.

GET BEHIND YOUR INDUSTRY and SUPPORT A HAUNT ONLY SHOW!

Larry

spookologist
07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
This is the best news I've heard from this site in quite some time. Thanks Tim for informing us on the press release. Thanks to the vendors who pushed Transworld into having faith in us haunters. Now its our time to shine and build the best haunters show. Here are a few suggestions. Take them for what they are worth.

1-Transworld was the 1st to really have a show and they let the haunters in for the last 13 years....Thank you Transworld!!! Have them handle the show floor.

2- Barry and the Gang from MHC do a great job with their show and they are volunteers. Why doesn't Transworld hire them to take care of the seminars and the extra activities and open it up to everyone like they do. Yes, I said hire. (looking ahead to 2010)

3- Leonard seems to do a great job with Hauntcon, Why can't he also work with Transworld with tours and off-site activities and such.

4- Larry can be a host for the Darkness.

5- Form ONE association to oversee everything and have that new association be made up with representation of vendors (out of their own group), Haunted Attraction owners and a group of independent professionals from inside and outside of the industry. People who can make business decisions, not emotional.

ONE SHOW, MAKE IT GROW.....It's ours.

BTW.....Transworld was THE place to go. All the others popped up after.

A few more points:

1- We all wanted the show back to the midwest= done
2- We all wanted the vendors to show off their good and still have them arrive in time for our haunt season= done
3- We all wanted a place where the haunters can roam and have a good time after hours= done
4- We all wanted a place thats affordable to all= done

This is what we've been asking for.....now lets do something about it.

Thanks again for all who put this together.

OK, I'm done.

Wayne

www.trailofterror.com

Again great work for all those involved in the

spookologist
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
So Larry, I guess I'll have to return the Scooby Doo plate I got ya for your birthday. :confused:

TheNightMare
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
With all the saving being saved by the vendors, Will they pass ANY along to the buyers? i.e bigger discounts?

renrok
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
We will use the savings to have more of a presence and bring more product. I feel our prices are already fair for the quality products we produce.

As with many vendors, not only the size of the order you place gives us room to make deals but the ongoing relationships year after year come into play as well.

TheNightMare
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
We will use the savings to have more of a presence and bring more product. I feel our prices are already fair for the quality products we produce.

As with many vendors, not only the size of the order you place gives us room to make deals but the ongoing relationships year after year come into play as well.

understood

kpolley
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Okay, my turn.

First...to anyone who thinks they are going to prove a point by not going to the show you are cutting off your own nose to spite your face. The St. Louis show will be THE ONLY place to see all the major vendors' new lines. Everyone who is a "big name" and many who aren't are backing this show. To not go will mean you wither don't buy anything from many of the top vendors next year or you buy online and hope you actually like the thing that you've never seen in person.

I supported this show because:

1. I live in St. Louis.
2. The savings for me and my business are real and are giving me the oppurtunity to GREATLY expand. I am planning on tripling my booth space this year.
3. A haunt only show makes sense whether some of you see it or not. The HCP show was great...I always walked around...but they didn't help us in the long run. They didn't like us, they stole ideas from us as vendors only to bring crappy asian knock-offs the following year, and they OBVIOUSLY took the majority of the floor space giving us no room for growth. Now we can grow as big as we want. Why would anyone dislike that?
4. Quality and quantity are 2 different things. As far as buyers go...quantity at the St. Louis show will likely be down but quality will be WAY UP. None of the buyers will be there to buy skimpy underwear. They'll be there to buy haunt merchandise. As for vendors...there may be fewer of those as well but do you really buy many pairs of wax lips or 300 work shirts with "female body inspector" stenciled on them? The vendors you will see will be selling what your haunt needs. We could get a HVAC convention to set up along side us if you want more vendors but I don't think they'd offer much you'd want to buy. The level of quality here is going through the roof!

You can go to Houston if you want...but you'll be buying cheap plastic John McCain masks and light up pumpkin flashlights if you do. It's not a haunt show. If you want zombies, giant animatronics, and other real haunt merchandise you should come to the St. Louis show. It's the ONLY place to find all the major vendors under one roof! I can't wait. It's time that we all stop fighting ourselves and work toward the same goal and move in the same direction. Can we PLEASE find some unity in this petty indusrty? Let's all get behind this new show and really give it a shot. TW really has done a lot of work to try and get a feel for what's best. In the end, you can't please everyone but I think this show is going to be the best thing that any of us have seen in quite some time. By trying to hurt it you will only be hurting the vendors and, in turn, yourselves. Let's all work together to try to make this a great thing and not fight each other over childish personal disagreements. This is a business...not a highschool. You don't have to like everyone elese but it pays to get along in a professional way. Let's all put personal differences aside and unify on a professional level. We are poised to make a big leap forward this year. Let's take full advantage. I'll see everyone who understands what a great step forward this is in March.

As for the Larry bashing and the "Larry Lover" bashing...give it a rest already. You all come to Larry's website everyday and you read Larry's magazine and on and on and on. Get over yourselves. I don't like the Pickel. I don't get his magazine and I'm not a member of his forums. If you hate Larry so much then leave. Nobody is keeping you here and I am personally tired of the grade school playground syndrome that everyone seems to have lately.

Oh...and one final thing...I just want to say to Ben that I appreciate sooooo much having someone out there that really gets it. You support us as vendors more than ANYONE else and I can't thank you enough for that. You understand that, of course, we need you to survive but you need us as well. Thanks for you support and I'm looking forward to seeing you nest year. I'm also hoping we can get you out to guest act when we open Darkness. I think it would be a blast!

lurker
07-01-2008, 11:26 PM
..we had to start our own show, for the benefit of our industry.

It's not "our" show. It's Transworld's hail marry show.

kpolley
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
That's where you're wrong. We planned this show and got TW to agree to it. We had other options lined up if they backed out. Believe me...that's a fact. Truth be told, I liked on of the other options better but I'm going with this because it's the best thing for the whole industry right now. See...I can compromise for unity...anybody else on board???

Patti Ludwinski
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm with you Kip! Great post.

RoguesHollow
07-02-2008, 12:26 AM
There seems to be a group that really dislikes the idea of the move but I really believe this is going to benefit our industry. I enjoy going to shows like MHC and Hauntcon but those shows are conventions more than tradeshows. I'd say 9 out of 10 people I spoke to at MHC were either actors, musicians or home haunters. While its great to talk to these people they're not exactly looking to buy thousands of dollars in props or a cool website. So for many of the larger vendors or serviced based vendors the smaller shows can be hard to justify going to.

Transworld has alwasy been the only show major vendors needed to go to to find the haunt owners looking to purhcase large orders. However Vegas wasn't too great for many vendors. I know for me it wasn't as good as Chicago and the I never got to hang out with any clients at all. Way too many distractions! So I'm happy to hear the show going back to a venue without the chaos of Vegas in the background.

Also I think having our own tradeshow is overdue and this will only help to legitamize and expand our industry. Now seems like as good a time as any with the split happening in the Costume show. I guess its possible it could be bumpy for the first couple years but I doubt it. I think this is going to ba a very positive first step in growing OUR industry!

Gore Galore
07-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Wow,
I am really surprised by the split opinions on this.
Some really negative.
Some really positive.

Well all I can do is reiterate what has already been said.
Transworld polled many buyers and they indicated they didn't care where it was. All that mattered is that the vendors would be there.
You got that for certain. If everyone felt so against it then why did the poll not show it. So, Most don't care. It is only the ones who feel most strongly about it who are even going to post on Haunt world concerning it.

So, then transworld polled many vendors, and they picked vendors that could be objective about it. Vendors with as little vested interest in one location over another and allowed them to make the decision.
We chose St Louis.

If we want a great show we are going to have to make it a great show. We can't depend on anyone else to make this happen. We have to do all the leg work now. No one else to depend on to get this done. We can only rely on ourselves to make this all happen. And the vendors will do everything possible to create the best show we have ever had.
And all you as buyers have to do is show up and buy.
Pretty simple.

graystone
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Good Morning Kevin LOL how are you. This reminds me of the song Mr. Rogers always sang. Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood its beautiful day for a neighbor.... would you be mine???? could you be mine?????................. LOL. Shane and its Happy to be Shane.

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 08:38 AM
This opinion is coming from someone who lives near Vegas (California), has a financially struggling haunt (on knees praying for this season to be "The One") and has only attended Transworld twice. In other words, this opinion is coming from me. :D

I'm no one special and I'm not a person vendors are overjoyed to see since I'm usually cassé (broke). But, I've gone these past two years to give me inspiration. Gore galore and their Zombiefied dudes, Distortions and their clan of tortured misfits, Unit 70...all of them just makes my jaw drop in awe. All of them keeps me going and pushing myself every year so that maybe one day I can walk up to Mark from Creative Visions and say, "Hey Handsome...rack'em up!"

If I had to choose between keeping the two shows together or start back with taking babysteps to continue a haunt only show, I'd choose the latter. Why? The disdain.....
When I walked into Transworld Vegas, I first of all could not believe where they had placed us -- clear in the back close to the alley where the trash is picked up and distributed. I walked with bad temperment because I felt we were being discriminated against. Someone heard another call us "freaks." Freaks? Yeah, lady we are, but let us call ourselves that...not you!
It wasn't until I saw Dan Faupel that all of that fell from me and I uttered out, "Aaaaah. My people!" That's what this show in St. Louis is going to be about....OUR people! No more tension. No more catalog books. No more of Rubie's dirty looks.

I for one am happy I will be amongst MY people and my people alone.

Nightgore
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Gwen,

I love you... just so you know! ;) -Tyler

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Gwen,

I love you... just so you know! ;) -Tyler
I love you, too Sweetheart!!! :D

Ken Spriggs
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Larry said .......
FACTS: This show will be 100,000 square feet! They have 100,000 square feet reserved for show floor and I will bet it will be SOLD OUT! That would be about THREE times bigger than the haunt show we saw in Transworld Vegas last year.

So your saying that we will have over 225 vendors in St Louis?

I am not starting anything with you.....BUT

I will bet my entire years salary against yours that it doesn't happen!

Anyone else want some of this action?

They claimed to have talked to a ton of vendors at MHC
Yes they were there....most of us knew nothing about a meeting with TW.

Oh well I guess us being a vendor at TW for the last 5-6 years means nothing?
No lets talk to the guys that ...... NEVERMIND NOW I GO BACK TO MY CORNER TO PLAY WITH RAZOR BLADES....see ya

Starting to get tired of all the bitching and whining
Yes i know...then don't read it

lurker
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I, like many others, don’t care where the show is going to be. I was just hoping that this shake up with Transworld was going to allow (force) our industry via IAHA or HHA or a vendors association to lay claim to ownership of the industry tradeshow. To me it is just a sad statement that after all these years we can’t organize for ourselves. I think I maybe the only person that believes this way, but even though this industry only show ran by Transworld is a good thing in the short term it won’t be a good thing in the long run. 3-4 years down the road booth space prices for vendors will go right back up to what they where before or even higher. Once this show gets established, and they get our cherries firmly back in the vise again, they will squeeze. And, that is what they should do, cause that is business. They have something we don’t, and we need it; a single-minded goal, and the organization to bring it about.
Okay, I’m a dreamer, but that is what I think.

Frighteners Entertainment
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I have to agree with Louis.
It's too little too late. I see this show in the same fashion as MHC and HauntCon with exception that it is more expensive for vendors to show their goods. It seems as the finger gets pointed at Rubies for all the problems but everyone seems to forget that all of the complaints, I thought I saw were about how expensive it was, lack of security, union fee over charges and so on. I would say this reflects on the organizers of TransWorld. Looking at all of these shows for cost, TransWorld $1,200? @ booth, HauntCon $800? @ booth and MHC $400? @ booth. No union fees for MHC, not sure about HauntCon but is for sure with TransWorld.
So what makes any one of these shows any different? what am
I missing?
It's not "our" show. It's Transworld's hail marry show.

drfrightner
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Louis,

I agree with you 110%. People kept asking me...why are you putting so much stock into this thing. WHY? Why I said, because I feel like if the haunt industry can finally get their own show they can finally might come together for the one goal, one cause approach. As for an association I personally own the best website for such a group, and if you compare IAHA site to HHA sites on www.complete.com you'll discover HHA's site gets four times the traffic especially in October. I'm more than willing to turn over the assets to a REAL association, but at this point one must start from scratch, because IAHA is just way too screwed up, with home haunters, or people not even in the business running the direction of it...that is how it has always been from day one. The bylaws are all screwed up, and the whole time I was on the board they talked about changing them year after year and never did. Lastly IAHA's name is just mud to most haunt owners, at this point you just have to start from scratch.

I personally sent out feelers through IAHA's current VP, to see how we can work together to form a new association, with new bylaws, but have heard nothing back. I'm hopeful. I really just feel the formation of this show is the start of ending sides, ending of everything and brings people together for a common goal.

I think it will finally happen!

That is my goal and I'm with you!

Larry

drfrightner
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Ken,

I'm not sure but I think 100,000 square feet equals nearly 400 booths but I'm not sure. All I can say to you Ken, is we all including yourself need to make it happen and we can. I personally will do EVERYTHING I CAN to make it happen! Larry

graystone
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Hush Your Mouth LOL you think thats something. They claim to have sent out letters asking the buyers what they thought of this. NO one and I mean NOT 1 buyer I know ever recieved any form or letter, email, call zip asking their opinion. I talked to Jennifer myself and suggested that they do just that thing and they never did. So there ya go!!!!!! I think the buyers they talked to was the vendors that bought from the concessions that would make them a buyer. I think? Shane

MDKing
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I think the show in St Louis represents a fresh new start and direction for the haunt industry. If we are to be a fully fledged industry, then we should be able to stand on our own. St. Louis is a nice city and it looks like all the major vendors are excited to take part in it and if they are there I will be there as well.... We should be excited about this step!

Allan

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
....I feel like if the haunt industry can finally get their own show they can finally might come together for the one goal, one cause approach.

I'm more than willing to turn over the assets to a REAL association, but at this point one must start from scratch, because IAHA is just way too screwed up, with home haunters, or people not even in the business running the direction of it...that is how it has always been from day one.
Larry, pardon if I'm incorrect, but I don't think I am....

you speak of this show bringing us all "together for the one goal" and the "one approach." Yet in the same post, you write that one of the things that screwed up IAHA were "home haunters." How could you write those words? You have home haunters on this forum that look up to you. Shame On You!!!

Are we "pros" going to treat the home haunters in the same fashion Transworld's Party show treated us? You call for togetherness and unity -- well, this cannot truly be done unless you include everyone from the industry!

MDKing
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Empress, I think there should be a difference between home and pro haunters, the only commonality is that we all scare and entertain people. Pros put tens or hundreds of thousands of $$ and our name, reputation, and more on the line every year. Home haunters do some amazing work but the differences are many. There needs to be a pro haunt association, as there is already a home haunt one. Should home haunters get the same treatment in the industry as pros?

Allan

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Empress, I think there should be a difference between home and pro haunters, the only commonality is that we all scare and entertain people. Pros put tens or hundreds of thousands of $$ and our name, reputation, and more on the line every year. Home haunters do some amazing work but the differences are many. There needs to be a pro haunt association, as there is already a home haunt one. Should home haunters get the same treatment in the industry as pros?

Allan
Allan, I wasn't talking about organizations. I wrote about the coming together at Transworld Larry mentioned in his earlier post. And before I can answer your question: What kind of "treatment" are you talking about?
Should home haunters be excluded from Transworld?

MDKing
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Empress, absolutely not of course they should be permitted. Maybe Larry referred coming together to all the haunted attractions out there, the pro ones. There needs to be more alliance within our community before we open it to all I think. Wouldn't you agree?

Allan

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Home haunters do some amazing work but the differences are many.

BTW, you wanna know what the difference between home haunters and the "Pros" are? MONEY!

SomeThingInTheIce
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
First let me say that I have never been to a trade show and in fact this will be our first year charging admission to our haunted trail. I am how ever steeped like a tea bag in things that are going on in the haunt industry (you should be if you want to make a business of it) Way back when I was posting on Haunt Freaks, a site that is no more, people talked about the costume and party people. I say see ya and no lost. The haunt iindustry is no longer the red headed step child of the costume and party people AND WE MUST MAKE THIS WORK! THey didn't want us are we going to put the icing on the cake for them and have this fail? I will be going to my first trade show in ST. Louis, I can't drop 40 grand but I will spend some money and have fun doing it.

MDKing
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
In many ways it is money Empress. But money and success opens doors that would otherwise be closed. One you take the leap an roll the dice and make it happen, you have graduated and took the next step. I'm sure some one time home haunters who took the leap of faith and went pro would rather be viewed on the hard earned level of his/her peers, as a professional. It's called progress. Nearly anyone can do a yard haunt, but not nearly everyone can do it professionally.

Allan

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
In many ways it is money Empress. But money and success opens doors that would otherwise be closed. One you take the leap an roll the dice and make it happen, you have graduated and took the next step. I'm sure some one time home haunters who took the leap of faith and went pro would rather be viewed on the hard earned level of his/her peers, as a professional. It's called progress. Nearly anyone can do a yard haunt, but not nearly everyone can do it professionally.

Allan
My Dear Allan.....

I owned a home haunt for many years. I know about that leap of faith and the rolling of the dice to become "pro". That makes me a hybrid, if you will and I will push for those that haunt from their homes as well as the "pros." BUT, to be a part of a show that determines their attendees purely on where they choose to haunt I'd rather not be a part of.

So, I'm asking again because I'm sure there are others out there that want to know -- Will the Home Haunters be included in this new Transworld Haunt Show?

MDKing
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
That I can't answer but maybe someone else can for you.

Also, the vast majority started off as a home haunter in some capacity.

Allan

Patti Ludwinski
07-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I think we got away from the topic of this thread. Although, I DO think this new topic is interesting and could be it's own topic. I think Allan would agree that for attendance at a show, all buyers are welcome, home-haunters and pro-haunters alike. I don't think he ever meant to mislead otherwise. I think he was discussing associations on a show thread is all. A bit off the topic, which is why there may have been confussion.

Mark McDonough
07-02-2008, 01:17 PM
First off, I have to say...awww, schucks Gwen, you can come by any time you want and make me smile.

Now onto the business of the show....

1. This is not a regional show. Think of this as the Haunt show in Vegas/Chicago transplanted to St. Louis. This is the ONLY show you will find all the biggest vendors.

2. People have said 'why can't the vendors go to Hauntcon of MHC?'
No disprespect to either show or the producers of those shows...I think they both put out a fantastic product that is vital to the survival of this industry. They do no, however, bring in the kind of buyers that keep most of us vendors in business. Transworld does.

3. This show is not for all vendors. It is for the vendors that are at the point financially and experience-wise that can provide a safe, quality product to the professional market. Hauntcon amd MHC are more cost-effective shows to exhibit at and are where the next generation of vendors should be coming from. Plus, some of the biger vendors find these shows profitable as secondary marketing tools.

4. Houston is a non-issue. Yes, we have co-habitated with the wholesale show for a long time, but that had stop at some point. Houston is an off-shoot of that industry sector and has no long term value to the haunt industry.

5. There is no Larry Show. Stop calling it that. By doing so, you are insulting all of us that have been working so hard on this.

I will be signing my show contract as soon as they are made available. I know that most big vendors will be doing the same. We are committed to this show. We are involved in this show....and we will take this show to a new level.

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I think we got away from the topic of this thread. Although, I DO think this new topic is interesting and could be it's own topic. I think Allan would agree that for attendance at a show, all buyers are welcome, home-haunters and pro-haunters alike. I don't think he ever meant to mislead otherwise. I think he was discussing associations on a show thread is all. A bit off the topic, which is why there may have been confussion.
Patti, I disagree. This thread is suppose to be about the future of our Transworld Show. Discussing who is welcome there is part of that future.

Mark, you are a sweetheart! You treated me with respect when all I could afford to buy were two little sensors. That's something I will NEVER forget. Just you wait -- let me have a great season this year........... :D

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're disagreeing with me on.?

Patti,

at this point it doesn't even matter.

Carry on.....

Empressnightshade
07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Patti,

please let me apologize. I completely read your posting incorrectly. Damn...does that mean I'm not perfect?! Saints preserve us! :p

MDKing
07-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Patti, thanks for clarifying that was my point exactly.

;)

Allan

MMManiac
07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Kip-

"We planned this show and got TW to agree to it. We had other options lined up if they backed out. Believe me...that's a fact."

So after all the posts saying this isn't the "Larry show" its transworlds, you admitting it is indeed the "Larry show" with the backing of transworld....

In a post before Larry said this was the only place available to hold the show in 2009. I'll bet a million dollars I can call somewhere in Orlando and get a show booked around the same time just as cheap. The ONLY reason it is in St. Louis is because it saved YOU GUYS $$ being in your home town, and you can show off Larry's baby, "The Darkness." and you all wonder why so many people don't agree with Larry...

Patti Ludwinski
07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Sean, You're misreading Kip's post. The vendors who voted wanted this show and wanted it in St. Louis...So St. Louis it is. However, TW wasn't fully on board until this week. What Kip is saying is that the vendors had other options for show promoters in mind NOT for alternative cities in mind. (TW isn't the only show promoter out there.) At this point, buyers can either choose to back your haunt vendors and support them in this show or not.

MDKing
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Orlando would have been awesome for sure, my first choice! But given the choice between Rosemont, Vegas, and St Louis, I think St Louis would be the best choice for a new start for our own show. Besides, who wouldn't want to see the Darkness even if you don't like Larry it's still an opportunity.

Allan

MMManiac
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Patti what would we do without our "Forum mom" clearing everything up for us. I think for now on before Kip or Larry can type they have to have it okayed by you first :)

Patti Ludwinski
07-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Allan, I think Orlando would've been a great place. I love attending IAAPA when it's in Orlando. However, this is now an ATTRACTIONS only show for the HALLOWEEN/HAUNT business. In order to grow the show bigger, we need to prey on those folks who have a need to extend their season. ( I mentioned this awhile back too so I apologize for the redundancy.) For example ZOOs might have a need to extend their season and they might do a Halloween/Haunt event during Sept/Oct., but ZOOs on the East or West coast don't have that kind of need like ZOO's in the midwest. So St. Louis or Rosemont were the cities of choice among the vendors. When voted, St. Louis came up on top. Either way we wanted to keep it central for that reason.

Sean, YOUR GROUNDED, now go to your room. Just teasing.

graystone
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
My friend and I will call you my friend! What I love most about you is your you! Like it or not you say how you feel and whats on your mind! Kinda reminds me of someone else I know! Shane

MMManiac
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
We interrupt this thread for an important message.

Hey Shane I'm starting my own haunt only show in Green Bay for 2010. We will have all kinds of vendors related to the haunt industry. Mainly beer vendors, but ill throw some latex on some Walmart masks and mark up the price. Ill even offer the buyers a 20% discount! You wanna sponsor the event? :) lol oh S*** I high-jakced this thread.....

and now back to the previously scheduled thread.

MDKing
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
No I know Patti I have no problems with going to St Louis. I just love Orlando and I'm always looking for an excuse to go there, that's all!

Allan

drfrightner
07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Sean,

Couple of things... first off your website doesn't work, I clicked on i from the bottom of your profle, that might be more important to you than bashing myself or this show or the people who support it. Because...

At the end of the day all this reteric means nothing, this is all about business. If you run a haunted house you want to build a great one, but without your cutomers to buy tickets you have no haunted house.

Today I learned like a zillion new ways to market my own business through the web, I'm going to put those things into action. Seem to m if you own a haunt or any kind of business you should be more focused on making that business better.

I think we can all learn new ways to make our business better, but are your posts helpfull? At this point your first priority should be to get your haunt ready for this coming Halloween season. Correct?

The Transworld haunt show isn't coming until March 2009, which is AFTER your haunt season. So why keep arguing about something that isn't going to change, or isn't going to happen until after this October.

At this point I'm interested in ending all this chatter and start talking about this coming Halloween season. Do you want to know what I learned today? Do you want to know what some other haunter learned about timed ticketing, viral marketing, blogging, sponsorship or whatever else that might actually improve your business or debate this for another week or two?

Here is the deal...

I'm done with it...it is over. The show is happening, and if you choose to come then you will be able to buy from all the vendors, hang out with friends, see a great haunt (hint hint), and hopefully leave better than when you came.

If you choose not to come that is your choice.

But it is time to move onto something more productive.

Over the coming months, you'll get news, updates, and information about this show, and although you may want to deny you are coming you are coming as will everyone else, if they own an attraction that is and if I'm wrong and you don't that will be your loss and no one elses.

Again time to move on...

Larry

MMManiac
07-02-2008, 07:52 PM
larry-

First of all my website is currently being re-deisnged to relate better to what we have to offer. It should be up soon.

I agree our # one priority should be our haunts which mine is. We are ahead of schedule so Im not too concerned at this time.

As you may recall from other posts I was one of the first people to AGREE with you regarding a haunt only show and what this could all mean to the haunt industry. I still AGREE with you about this show.

All I was stating is the way kipp keeps bragging about making this show happen it takes away from the show and is driving the controversy. To be honest it DOES sound like the only reason it's in St. Louis is so YOU can make a quick $$. Is that true? I know its not. From what I know about you, you will stick major $$ into the darkness for us to view and not come close to making that back.

On another point as long as people try to defend this show the nay sayers will continue to post negative comments on this thread. Now you can waste all you time and delete them OR stop posting back and start NEW threads haunt related so this thread dies and the others thrive.

Viva la Haunt industry!!!!

Ratbitw
07-02-2008, 07:52 PM
make up thier freking mind! Glad I went to Vegas last year,cause it's going to be the only one I will have attended,back to online buying.
a former buyer,
ratbitw:(

shawnc
07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Larry, I gotta know....whose pool did you pee in, and how many people did it touch? :roll:

Boy, I can't believe some of these comments. Larry likes it so it must be great for him and bad for the rest of us. Or Larry doesn't think this idea will work so it has to be great. Am I missing something? Can someone explain it to me?

hauntedhousenut
07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
throw out the bait someone will bite.

Patti Ludwinski
07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
So sad, yet so true, Nut.

Sean, he doesn't check things with me first. Otherwise MOM wouldve proofed that post right out. LOL.

Happy Haunting, Folks!

Gore Galore
07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Jeeze,

Look,
Larry didn't even come up with the idea of going to St Louis. It was Mark of Creative Visions. Now, any vendor in St Louis is most certainly going to support this show. And why wouldn't Larry want to show off his haunt for both profit and exposure.
But I will say this again.
This is an industry decision voted on by a random selection of buyers, and a random selection of vendors.
It was close but the buyers were split 50/50 and the vendors were close but St Louis was the vote.

Transworld handled it this way so it would show they were trying to be impartial and do what this industry wanted. They have gone so far to show us how they make a profit so we know what they actually make money on. Yes it is a little late. They should have been listening a long time ago. But they are now so this is why this happened.

When is everyone going to understand that.

It is not the Larry show. I, Tim Turner, Mark Mcdonough, A transworld advisory board, and the rest of the HHVA have worked our tails off to try to help create the best haunt show ever and we are not going to have all that work dashed by politics and personal agendas.

Larry is involved. Larry has contributed. He will also help make sure to bring in the buyers and vendors from other industries that fit our market. Larry is excited it is going to be in his home town. But Larry by no means made this happen. It was a complete combined effort from all of us and you should be happy.

We now have an opportunity to do everything we have always wanted. We have our own show.
What is bad about that?

If anyone wants to email me offlist to discuss this please feel free. I want this Larry show thing gone and forgotten.
We, as an industry, have an opportunity here and if we blow it we may end up without a large show of our own at all.

We need to pull together. Drop all the politics and personal agendas and have the best show we have ever had.
We can!
We don't have any excuses now. No Halloween show vendors and buyers telling us we don't belong on THAT side.
Do you know how many times I have been told we are not supposed to have our custumes roaming the Halloween show floor? Security escorted us back to the haunt section once before. But everyone on the Haunt Side loved it. It helps create an atmosphere.

So what are you going to do. Keep criticizing or join us and make this the best show ever.
Your choice,

Barry
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Well, it seems the saga expands:

http://www.nationalhauntersconvention.com/

:)

Grimley
07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Cool another big convention. At this rate we are gonna go broke flying all over the country. I don't know if we should pull names or flip a coin. Maybe paper, rock, scissors?

TheNightMare
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Do you want to know what I learned today? Do you want to know what some other haunter learned about timed ticketing, viral marketing, blogging, sponsorship or whatever else that might actually improve your business or debate this for another week or two?

Larry

Interested, start a new thread about it and lets all move on.

kpolley
07-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Not to bring things back up but...

I'm not bragging or whatever else you are thinking. I'm simply tired of the people who are stating as fact things that aren't true.

This is Larry's show. FALSE
TW made the decisions and we are just stuck with them. FALSE
No buyers were polled. FALSE

The list goes on and on. I'm not trying to sound high and mighty as though I single handedly brought this show here. What I'm saying is that I sat on the phone with a dozen or so vendors and we hashed all this out and then told TW what we wanted to do. They drug their feet for a couple weeks but, in the ned, they got on board. That's all I'm saying. I'm just trying to set the record straight. Let's move on.

Jim Warfield
07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Read all these posts from start to finish, obviously alot of you are "pulling" something.
We all will either go blind reading these posts or go blind from all the pulling everyone's doing?
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This has been a message from the Pubic Health Bored.

TheNightMare
07-03-2008, 12:45 AM
No buyers were polled. FALSE

I as a buyer was polled. Just putting that out there

Read all these posts from start to finish, obviously alot of you are "pulling" something.
We all will either go blind reading these posts or go blind from all the pulling everyone's doing?
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This has been a message from the Pubic Health Bored.

Hey Jim, Its a tug of war match, what side of the rope are you on. lol

drfrightner
07-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Sean,

So I take it from your post you will be here with flying colors!!! Great!

Barry,

Those people from EHC can do whatever they want, but vendors will not be supporting that event on the level we're talking here. I'm scratching my head right now wondering what they are thinking, because I will NOT support an event that will attempt to replace or disrupt this show or this process. I doubt Leonard would support this either since he has his own show, and major vendors like Scarefactory, Unit 70, just as an example have never even attend MHC, and they live there, so what are the chances of them supporting that event? Ahhhh I would say NONE! So it really isn't an issue because anyone can say they are doing anything they want but that doesn't make it happen.

At this point I think all the HAUNT vendors are tired of the industry being broken up into little shows all over the nation. I think it is time for Hauntcon to become the premier touring show, with tons of education, but no tradeshow floor, etc, etc. But hey each to their own.

I personally will ONLY ATTEND ONE show as a vendor, and that is the Transworld Haunted Attraction show. This will be the only show that Scarefactory has 20 plus booths, and as we've already seen stated Ghost Ride will bring the farm, and only to this show.

Clearly this will be the show for the professional buyer.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE TO ALL... Emotions are running HIGH right now!

It has been a crazy path to get here, but now we are here. Follow the yellow brick road, stay the path and support a haunt only show, for yourself, your industry, our industry, and your future!

This isn't about me, it isn't about Gore Galore, or Scarefactory, or anyone else... it is about YOU, YOUR INDUSTRY, OUR INDUSTRY and YOURS AND OUR FUTURES!

Simple as that.

With that being said I know everyone is coming, how could you miss it?

You know it, I know it, we all know it.

So why the banter? YES we can beat this horse until we're blue in the face talking about maybe Orlando, heck what about Plano, Texas for that matter. The site is chosen, there is no going back, contracts are signed...

St. Louis is an awesome place, fun things to do, great places to eat, plus a 100k show floor and well like I said The Darkness will be open for your screaming pleasure!

I will promise you this...

I WILL BLOW YOU AWAY on my end...I will do my part, I will make my haunted house the best I've ever done for you! It won't be the haunt that will open this September, it will be the haunt YOU and ONLY you will see and just for this show, for this industry!

Does the HYPE of the Darkness meet the real thing? If it doesn't I'll hear about it and I can tell you this much I WONT LET THAT HAPPEN!!!!!

Larry

Cookie Crumbler
07-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Suprise, suprise, suprise!!!!!!!

Remember me telling everyone 3 months ago that the TW show would end up in St. Louis? Anybody?

Move over Hanfadomis! The Cookie Crumbler looked at the facts, called it 100%, announced the show would be in STL, and was called crazy, (and censored) for it.

I think the word is "Vindicated."

By the way Jared, you're thinking of Arkham. They scream and they cry at Arkham.

Barry
07-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Larry, Unit 70 has been a vendor at MHC ;)

MDKing
07-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Cookie Crumbler,

Where have you been? I was involved in a thread a few days back you might have agreed with!!!

Take care,
Allan

graystone
07-03-2008, 06:19 AM
You are giving me a headach! Please sit down please is that to much to ask for? We all get the point by now. Here is some of the points. After reading them lets move on. The show is what it is and where it is there is no turning back now. With that here are some important facts we as buyers we should remember.
1. The show is in St. Louis and all the home boys are going to save a ton of money!
2. The Darkness will be open and we all will get to see the most Awsome Haunt In The Universe as we know it and Larry is going to make money.
3. Larry will charge more to view his haunt than he would at Halloween. But before you judge him there is a reason. He will be sharing the money with Kip and some of the other home town boys.
4. Larry is going to have his Haunt renovations paid for. Come Halloween your profits will be greater and your going to make even more money. Great for you.
5. We as buyers was polled they just forgot me, Paul, Sean, Ken, David, Kim, Corey ,Lance, Jason, and about 40 more I know of. I am sure it was a honest mistake.
6. There will be no savings passed on to the buyers.
7.There will be new companies attending some are as follows. The Mars candy company, Acme Port-a-potties, CVS & Walgreens, Frans Folage Company, Tupperware ( the first party will be at Larrys house the following week were headed to Kips) Ginsu Knif Company, The Ronco company ( you have seen their infomercials you know the rotisserie, food dehydrators,knives, the famous scramble an egg in its shell ect) Victoria's Secret (one of my favs) Phil's pens ,pencils & paper, Morton Salt company, Glenns Glamorus Gals ( for those after hour blues, and Fancy Feathers (they sell birds, hamsters, rats, mice ect) other names will be announced soon
8. We will see vendors save lots of money sell more products.
9. Buyers will not see any savings at the show itself just a change in the host city.
10. Transworld will keep their word on everything they say. Remember they have lied time and time and time again however this time their not going to. Larry and Kip will keep a watchful eye on them for everyone.
11. When the show is over their will be a video leaked out of Larry, and Kip in a cheap motel room with thousands of dollars scattered across the bed and them rolling and playing and laughing and some light making out in it. It will be later revealed that Patti filmed it.
12. St. Louis will give us the key to the city and Larry and Kip will accept it for us.
13. We as buyers will leave the show and say..... UMMMMMMMMMM Ok why do I feel we just missed something?
14. MHC,Hauntcon,EHC vendors are not as good as Transworld Vendors.
15. Lennord called Larry and said WTF!
Folks it is what is is. Lets just let go with it enjoy it while we can. We will come out of this show knowing even though its the vendors show but a buyers market the vendors will make alot more money. Good for them. What will us buyers get out of this? We will get to see the most Awsome Haunt In The Universe its called the Darkness.
I am lending my suppot to this show I hope you all will join with me on this. Coming together as a family and helping Larry make money is what its all about! Larry, Kip Shane is now on board see you all there. Shane!!! and thats Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off Shane This Time!

Darkangel
07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Shane,

Definitely one your your more amusing posts to date...

Darkangel

graystone
07-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I do feel the love from you. Shane

MMManiac
07-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Shane Shane Shane.... Dont be so hard on Larry now my friend.... Didn't you read earlier posts... the buyers DO save money! On cheap airfair and $130 hotel rooms. ;) lol

We need to have a "haunters unity" party.
- BBQ in Larry's back yard!

Jim Warfield
07-03-2008, 07:55 AM
You won't miss anything in the motel room Shane ("Seeing others rolling around on the money all over the bed") Just plan ahead. Be right there in your chimpanzee disguise on the perch in the corner of the room, and when they all fall asleep from too much lung-emptying laughing , sneek down and remove all the cash with a vacuum cleaner (much quicker)
There you GO!
No more need for grousing.
There is your plan.
Of course I'll be waiting outside in my Zoo Keeper's costume to put you in the cage and steal your vaccum cleaner!
I know, life ain't fair is it?

To answer a question posted here to me concerning where I want the Transworld to be...it's nice to have the option to see it in St. Louis and I'm sure scheduling it at the end of March will help weather concerns.
I like to attend for more social reasons. In all the years of seeing Transworld I have maybe only spent $1,100.oo? total there.
I make my own "stuff"and work my azz off entertaining my customers with it no matter how crude it might be compared to industry standards, but then I'm playing on the customer's fears and apprehensions for laughter mostly.
Making people scream and jump is more fun for me when they are reacting to fearsome items like garbage bags, fishing line and the expressions they see on my undecorated , naked old face.
I feel Trans-St.Louis will be a good time for everybody, even the guy in the corner on his perch in the chimp costume.

Xanthar
07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Larry,

We will be posting some press releases in the future, still just sorting a few things out.

We are not out to be 'competition' and we are still more similar to Barry's fine show MHC or HauntCon. The main difference from HauntCon is that we do not plan on moving around each year and will always be in the same location.

I deal with a lot of corporations and from a corporate standpoint, it is much more important for us to phase ourselves into a National Convention. Two specific sponsors that we are dealing with were willing to work with us IF we were a National Convention....they are bound by their stock holder contracts not to be able to support regional events.

We will continue to grow our show and just want to have a great show here on the East Coast for everyone in the Haunt Industry as well as the Halloween Industry. Our crowd is a completely different crowd and there is no 'Choose This over choose that'. Remember, Transworld is a Tradeshow, we are a convention. There is a huge difference. The population out here on the east coast can support it and really wants it....we get emails all the time. There really is no conflict.

Transworld doing the National Haunted Attractions show in St Louis a neat thing....I am planning on attending myself. With the price of the booths dropping, it helps everyone. I did not go to the last few Chicago ones (not since 2004) but there are two haunted houses that I really want to go to that have been on my list for a long time.

#1) Terror on the Fox

#2) The Darkness

I have still not seen either of them, and would really love to visit your haunt. The pictures you put online are always awesome.

We will post more in the next few weeks to follow. The bottom line for us was that our #1 complaint was that even though we had booked the entire hotel room we simply didn't have enough room.

So, the only way to solve this problem was to start a deal with a large convention center. This way we can expand as needed over the next few years and allow for large convention space and ceiling height.

I still see the industry being able to support all these shows....Transworld is the tradeshow, HauntCon is the cool show that travels, and MHC has such a great group of people, Barry runs things very professionally and with the surrounding haunted houses in his area, MHC will continue to grow. I'm glad our industry has so many choices, especially because as you could see from our Eastern Haunters Convention and Midwest Haunters Convention, we are bringing new vendors to the table that can't take the risk of the costs of the Transworld just yet but are local to these fine conventions.

Sincerely,

Robert Kocher
Xanthar of the Museum
The Village of Darkness
National/Eastern Haunters Convention

kpolley
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Shane,

I'm getting beyond tired of having the same dog and pony show with you day in and day out. You know about 50 buyers that weren't polled? Wow. That MUST mean that no buyers were polled. OR...it means that only a few of the THOUSANDS were polled and you don't know who they were. Only a few vendors were polled and I can tell you that neither Larry nor myself were among the final "polled" vendors. They specifically tried to choose people who weren't knee deep in this mess to begin with.

Get off it already. And...to go back a bit...it does matter about the ticket price to your haunt. You say it's never changed. I guess that means you have never lowered it. Why should I lower my prices if you won't lower yours? And your example of supplier discounts, while valid, is irrelevant here. What do you think I'm going to buy in such bulk that I can get massive discounts and pass the savings on to you? Most of the cost of a prop comes from labor and the technical components. I get great deals on tech stuff already...but if my sales go up and they all of a sudden cut my prices by 20% I'll let you know. The fact is...you just always want to demonize the person that you're into it with. Keith was the devil. Then Larry was a censor. Now vendors are money grubbing gangsters sitting in a smoky basement somewhere laundering all the money they stole from the poor, defenseless buyers. Get real. Please. All we want to do is make a living for ourselves. If you think we are all overpricing and gouging everyone why don't you start a prop company and bring your stuff out at TW. We'll see how your prices compare to everyone else. Until then, you're just talking. I put up my own money when I started and worked very hard to keep afloat. There are no vendors in this industry that roll in money...I'll guarantee you that. If you don't believe me...start a prop company so you can be rich just like all of us are.

GoryCorey
07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
GAAAAAAAAAAAH ...Thank dog I have been sick sooo much the past 4 months....
....will...not....kill....with....mental....powers .....

Kip-

"We planned this show and got TW to agree to it. We had other options lined up if they backed out. Believe me...that's a fact."
Lets address this once and for all, the We that this was refering to is the HHVA, a 60+ member strong block of vendors - we were ready to do what we believe we need to do to guarantee the survival of the haunt industry with a buyers/vendors show. Kip, happens to be a member.

KSo after all the posts saying this isn't the "Larry show" its transworlds, you admitting it is indeed the "Larry show" with the backing of transworld....
This IS NOT the Larry SHOW, this is the HAUNT SHOW, period.
TW, is hosting it, so it will the 14th TW HAUNT SHOW.
Coincidentally it will be in the town Larry lives, and Mark, and Kip, and a bunch of yahoos who do not know how to get out of a damned flood plain.

In a post before Larry said this was the only place available to hold the show in 2009. I'll bet a million dollars I can call somewhere in Orlando and get a show booked around the same time just as cheap.
WE (defined above) offered a number of locations, primarily "2nd tier" cities that should be viable selections. Yes St Lu was an option. Honestly, with how Chicago was courting this I thought the show was going to be back there. But the final decision was made after polling an equal number of randomly selected (ie unknown to the aforementioned WE, Larry or anyone else!) vendors and buyers, from All levels of the industry, to get a concensus, for a majority opinion.

The ONLY reason it is in St. Louis is because it saved YOU GUYS $$ being in your home town, and you can show off Larry's baby, "The Darkness." and you all wonder why so many people don't agree with Larry...
NO, it will save what ....3-4 home town vendors money , big f-ing deal! There are no less that 60 PRE-commited vendors who will stick suck up the expense of going to SOMEWHERE the show is located.

IMO, it did not matter if it was St Lu, Chi-town, KC, Cinci, Louisville or where ever, they all cost me roughly the same, what mattered is will the BUYERS attend. If it was moved to Cleveland would it be the Corey Show? Come on now!

Yes, the costs are down - you have no idea how much these shows add to the bottom line of our businesses, how much TIME we must commit to presenting there.
MinionsWeb will take advantage of the lower booth space and spend MORE money to increase the booth space to bring YOU new products, and show them in a way YOU might actually F-ing notice them.
2 years we have been bringing the sweetest tombstones around and no one bothers to come in the tent once they see spider webs hanging 50ft about their heads.
Hell, I wont go into the other 3 new lines no one notices......

As far as the show emerging from the dust that will be the HCPshow - there was a ton of input - WE (remember above?) TW, Larry, IAHA, Leonard, and god knows how many others.

As far as I am concerned, TWLV, deadernadoornail, may attend Houston, but I guarantee MinionsWeb and most of your favorite suppliers will be at TWSL For HauntShowXIV

Your REAL friendly neighborhood spiderman

JamBam
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
TW is THE show as Randy Bates, Ben Armstrong, Larry, and many others have stated. And I agree. And we will have the show we have deserved for a long time, our own TW.

Congrats to Larry as he will make a lot of money now that the TW show is in his hometown (deservedly so for the show and effort). And we will see the timed ticketing idea in action. Will there be a lights on at teh end of the night? Our crew now knows Atlanta and North Carolina are in our road trip schedule for this September as we will see the Darkness in March.

Congrats to TW for seeing the opportunity for St Louis as they have missed several others in the past. And they have visited MHC last month and as we all do, captured some ideas for the TW show. Probably will tarnish the business/trade show image only it had with the new Crowne Plaza, tours, and competitions. But it is what the attendees want, and the customer (money) should be right, RIGHT?

We will be there as usual in St Louis. Houston and Vegas will get by without our $$.

A couple of questions. Will the HHA events be scheduled before or after IAHA events are set? I am a member of both and will resent a conflict of schedules, by happenstance or intentioned.

Gore Galore
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Brett,
thank you very much for your post.

we need to start a thread for this.
But we need to determine what events need to happen to make everyone happy.
We will be finding a "Crowne"
Mark Mcdonough is working on this right now since it is his home town/ I am sure Kip will help him find a supportive locale.

So, we need to get the Darkness tour, IAHA, Leonard, and Barry together to work on developing some things that are both informative and entertaining. But primarily network oriented.

THE HHVA would love to have the buyers input on this and we will present it to transworld at our next Advisory board meeting.

Scary Jerry
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Jerry here:

I fought this new show like nobody else. I thought TW in LV was great. It was driving distance for me and I picked up new buyers from the LV area as well as nationwide.

But many long discussions with Larry, Kevin, TW and many others led me to believe that TW LV is indeed on their last year. We had to do something. So SkullTroniX is going to the new St Louis show. Eventually I hope HHVA will produce our own show.

SkullTroniX is made up of one guy with Lupus, 1 old dog and 1 young one, a supportive wife, a part time employee and a few outside developers. How many trade shows do you think I can attend and still have time to produce product and create new stuff? It takes a tremendous amount of organization and physical work to get to a trade show, set up and get back home again. Once a year is just fine with me.

TW has been good to me. They bring in the buyers and that is ALL that counts for me. My business is split half home, half pro. So I want to see you all at TW, not just the pros.

I'm hoping to meet you all in St. Louis (my birthplace) in 2009 (and nowhere else).

BTW, if you haven't ordered from your favorite vendors yet (wink, wink) time is running out for delivery before H day.

Best regards

Jerry Jewell, SkullTroniX
916 600-2295

drfrightner
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Shane,

You know what if we remove posts from you and a couple other people then you could more clearly navigate and read posts from some pretty important people in this industry giving you facts as to why this show is so important. You love to muddy everything up clearly.

I will not profit from opening my haunt, however I will have my haunt ready to go for the following seasons in April! Is that a benefit to me...yes.

Is it a benefit to you to see the haunt in March? Yes.

Let me tell you right now, if I was in Philly right now and Terror Behind the Walls said to me... "Larry oh you are coming by, you know it is isn't October, we don't have all of our actors in place, but, if you pay $50.00 for you and your friends, we'l ge the place ready and put actors in it for you'. I WOULD DO THAT IN A HEART BEAT! WHO WOULDNT??

I am going to open the Darkness and right now I have a figure of $50.00 per person to do this... I'm not opening the haunt for my season, for 40,000 people, I'm opening the haunt for several hundred. Big difference.

Secondly, and I know this is going to sound arrogant, but I don't need to open m haunted houses to make money. I can keep it closed. Shane our company does 15 to 20 projects per year all ranging from $60,000.00 to 1.2 million dollars...and that is per project. We just finished one project in Arkansas for $200,000.00, finished another a few weeks ago for $140,000.00, finished another in the winter over in London for 1.2 million. Dude I don't need to open my haunt to pay the electric bill. Don't need it.

Additionally I don't need to publish the magazine, or keep this website on line. If my company had stock holders, I would have been forced to sell off this NON-CORE business a long time ago. This is a pet project, funded by all the projects we build. I can assure you that all the cool tools and stuff this site features where NOT paid for by this industry buying banner ads. It was paid for by my haunted house in part, and doing projects more so han anything.

I one day hope that haunted house owners realize how important web marketing really is and jump on board. It just takes some time for everyone to realize it. This is a slow moving industry to accept change.

And now we have change again... and Shane you'll be here, and so will everyone else so I don't even know why we're debating all of this. I guess to continue the drama I don't know.

LARRY KIRCHNER WILL NOT OWN THE SHOW, he merely lives here, and will open his haunt simple as that. End of story.

This show is more about Gore Galores business and his future than it will ever be about mine... Gore Galore, Minions Web, Pale Night, and many others like them stake their futures 110% on this industry, not Larry Kirchner. I still own a house i this industry but moved out of it a long time ago...I think we still have a couple boxes laying around. LOL

STOP YOUR ATTACKS, STOP YOUR NONSENSE, you are doing nothing but hurting people like before mentioned NOT ME! Of all the tradeshows I bought booths at last year I bought less at the Halloween show than all the others...

This show is for every small vendor and up... I wanted to make this happen so even those small vendors can finally have no excuses why they can't take the leap forward! I want them all to be successful, and the role I play in promoting this show I will make sure that buyers come and more than ever before.

SMALL VENDORS this is your chance...

Buyers prepare for the best time you've ever had, and finally feel proud to have your own show.

Shane and others like him... stop being a problem, because this SEMI truck is driving through and no wooden barrier will stop this truck! We'll be crashing right through so you either want to get on board or you don't.

Really that simple.

Larry

hauntedhousenut
07-03-2008, 02:55 PM
How could you do that, you just put kip's life in danger, when tyler reads your post and finds out that Kip and Larry will be rolling around in bed together, will devistate him with irreversible long term affect.

Remember the story of the astronaut that drove all night, The police account of the events leading to the arrest, which happened yesterday, include a wig and a trench coat, pepper-spray and a 900-mile drive in diapers, all to confront Colleen Shipman, an engineer at the 45th Launch Support Squadron at Patrick Air Force Base near Cape Canaveral. Ms. Nowak apparently believed that Ms. Shipman was a rival for the affections of Navy Cmdr. William Oefelein, pilot of the Discovery for its flight last December.

here's the link http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/an-astronauts-alleged-crimes-of-passion/

Shane you will be responsible if anything happens to kip, that was a bad move on your part, Tyler is probably in route to St louis as we speak,><

Kip run for your life!><

Empressnightshade
07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Shane,

You know what if we remove posts from you and a couple other people then you could more clearly navigate and read posts from some pretty important people in this industry giving you facts as to why this show is so important. You love to muddy everything up clearly.

I will not profit from opening my haunt, however I will have my haunt ready to go for the following seasons in April! Is that a benefit to me...yes.

Is it a benefit to you to see the haunt in March? Yes.

Let me tell you right now, if I was in Philly right now and Terror Behind the Walls said to me... "Larry oh you are coming by, you know it is isn't October, we don't have all of our actors in place, but, if you pay $50.00 for you and your friends, we'l ge the place ready and put actors in it for you'. I WOULD DO THAT IN A HEART BEAT! WHO WOULDNT??

I am going to open the Darkness and right now I have a figure of $50.00 per person to do this... I'm not opening the haunt for my season, for 40,000 people, I'm opening the haunt for several hundred. Big difference.

Secondly, and I know this is going to sound arrogant, but I don't need to open m haunted houses to make money. I can keep it closed. Shane our company does 15 to 20 projects per year all ranging from $60,000.00 to 1.2 million dollars...and that is per project. We just finished one project in Arkansas for $200,000.00, finished another a few weeks ago for $140,000.00, finished another in the winter over in London for 1.2 million. Dude I don't need to open my haunt to pay the electric bill. Don't need it.

Additionally I don't need to publish the magazine, or keep this website on line. If my company had stock holders, I would have been forced to sell off this NON-CORE business a long time ago. This is a pet project, funded by all the projects we build. I can assure you that all the cool tools and stuff this site features where NOT paid for by this industry buying banner ads. It was paid for by my haunted house in part, and doing projects more so han anything.

I one day hope that haunted house owners realize how important web marketing really is and jump on board. It just takes some time for everyone to realize it. This is a slow moving industry to accept change.

And now we have change again... and Shane you'll be here, and so will everyone else so I don't even know why we're debating all of this. I guess to continue the drama I don't know.

LARRY KIRCHNER WILL NOT OWN THE SHOW, he merely lives here, and will open his haunt simple as that. End of story.

This show is more about Gore Galores business and his future than it will ever be about mine... Gore Galore, Minions Web, Pale Night, and many others like them stake their futures 110% on this industry, not Larry Kirchner. I still own a house i this industry but moved out of it a long time ago...I think we still have a couple boxes laying around. LOL

STOP YOUR ATTACKS, STOP YOUR NONSENSE, you are doing nothing but hurting people like before mentioned NOT ME! Of all the tradeshows I bought booths at last year I bought less at the Halloween show than all the others...

This show is for every small vendor and up... I wanted to make this happen so even those small vendors can finally have no excuses why they can't take the leap forward! I want them all to be successful, and the role I play in promoting this show I will make sure that buyers come and more than ever before.

SMALL VENDORS this is your chance...

Buyers prepare for the best time you've ever had, and finally feel proud to have your own show.

Shane and others like him... stop being a problem, because this SEMI truck is driving through and no wooden barrier will stop this truck! We'll be crashing right through so you either want to get on board or you don't.

Really that simple.

Larry

Out of all things I have read from you, Larry (some I agreed, some I did not), I must say you have written this time with passion and conviction. I almost wanted to stand up and sing "God Bless America." :D

Well, I didn't. But, what it I did do is make up in my mind that I am going to give the very best damn show I possibly can for my guests this coming haunt season. I've decided that I want to learn about web marketing -- TEACH US PLEASE! Looking past the naysayers and those who cannot live without causing drama, I truly want to be a part of this industry if it is truly going to be as the picture you've painted above.

So....
Send that semi on through! I'm a big mamma and my knees sometimes don't work too well, but if I have to hitch hike to catch up with that truck, I'll be there......

brad
07-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Larry- amen to your last post!!!

I missied Vegas last year, and I hated it, but this year I will deffinately be there, and hopefully with more money than ever to spend!

Thanks for your hard work Larry.

Empressnightshade
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Larry- amen to your last post!!!

I missied Vegas last year, and I hated it, but this year I will deffinately be there, and hopefully with more money than ever to spend!

Thanks for your hard work Larry.

Hey um, Brad....

I know a worthwhile charity you can donate one of those purchases to. LOL! :p

graystone
07-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Yall need to chill, calm down, take a deep breath, damn can any of you not take some fun and a good laugh? Sad really sad I freeking said I give in and will support it. Could I not add a final laugh. one for the road? Larry, Kip I was going to give this show my blessings!!! Now you have attacked me you took the laugh right out of ole Shane!!! Now I just don't know!!! Kip, Larry if you say your sorry and that you have missed me today I will think about it!!! Yes I been busy we got several fire works shows going on tomorrow night. Larry wow you make some good money I am impressed. I know Uncle Same must like you. I wish I had a company and had all that money! I am just a bum myself and right now don't even have any power I could not afford my light bill. Now for Kip ole sweet lil loving Kip. My friend maybe it was just fun or maybe someone has told ya a lil tid bit about ole Shane. But I will tell you this you may just get your wish in the ole Shane being a vendor thing. Only thing about that is you will not actually see me maning a booth just backing an up and coming vendor. You just might get your wish on some awsome props backed by the best hell raiser in the business. But by your statement Kip you been talking to someone. Can anyone keep a secret in this damn business? Larry if you want my support you got to say your sorry and you love me. I will think about it after tomorrow night! I might can get others to join if your nice to me. Shane and its hurt crying Shane this time!

Jim Warfield
07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Please Shane, no crying allowed. The flood waters have not yet subsided across much of the midwest.
Knock! Knock!
"Whose there?"
U.S. Army Corps. of engineers, we have some sandbags to put under your eyes to stop the continued flooding, please open your door."
(If only the "Sandman" had done his job better!)

Empressnightshade
07-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Please Shane, no crying allowed. The flood waters have not yet subsided across much of the midwest.
Knock! Knock!
"Whose there?"
U.S. Army Corps. of engineers, we have some sandbags to put under your eyes to stop the continued flooding, please open your door."
(If only the "Sandman" had done his job better!)

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

hauntedhousenut
07-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Are you peeking through the blinds everytime a car drives by.

graystone
07-07-2008, 10:13 AM
That Kip and Larry wants to address on the home town boys show? Kip I was told that you will be splitting a booth with Larry so you two can save even more money can you verify that? Also can any of the home town boys put some of us buyers up at their house? Right now is looks to be costing about the same on air fair as Vegas. We just want to save money too. Remember the more we save the more you will get from us. So I have 12 coming to the show with me so who want's to host the slumber party? Here is the new Transworld Show Jingle!!! The St. Louis Haunt Show Is Here So Never Fear... Its Do Or Die In 2009... Larry and Kip Won't Have To Make The Trip.... As The Home Town Boys Will Make Some Noise.... The Darkness Will Open Rain Or Shine... Larry For Sure Will Suck Us Dry....When All Is Said And Done We Will See Them On The Run!!!!!!! As The Haunt Show Of 2009 Will Surley Make Us Cry!!!!LMAO don't ya just love it!!! Shane, And its got to find the humor in this TransWorld mess Shane this time!

hauntedhousenut
07-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Has anyone heard from Kip, since tyler found out about the possible larry/kip bed scene, I've been concerned for the kippers safety, I hope all is well with him.

graystone
07-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Nut now thats some funny stuff!!!!!!! Shane

graystone
07-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Waiting on some news! Shane

drfrightner
07-09-2008, 10:54 PM
There isn't any news yet because Transworld is having people consult them as to what they need to do to make this the single most successful show ever. Everything from what the shows name should be, show hours, to everything between. Once they have all the thoughts and opinions I guess they will decided a final game plan and announce it.

Hopefully all of that will be soon for the betterment of the whole industry, to end any confusions, and so on and so forth.

Larry

graystone
07-31-2008, 06:17 AM
Sure has been quiet here. Does anyone have any info on whats the latest? Surly there is something going on behind closed doors? Shane

MMManiac
07-31-2008, 07:23 AM
New Release from Transworld!

Just saw this in my mailbox this morning... Transworld will be moving once again! This time to the Central African Republic. They figured why stop at the center of the states when they could go global with this haunted event and go to the center of the world! This way they can hit both the US markets and the Chinese markets all in one show... This is great news for everyone! So grab out your head dresses and moskito nets, we're going to Africa! :-D

FearSeeker
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Woo-hoo! ><

mindtumor
08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
What the hell does >< mean? I keep seeing this but have no idea of what the meaning is. I am not down with all the chat/text acronyms.

graystone
08-01-2008, 10:39 AM
In case you don't know what >< means. Let me share it with you. Homosexual men use the >< symbol as a way of letting other homosexual men know they are here so to speak. So when you see >< used in chat room, public forums, or personal ads they are using the symbol as a form of advertizement. Hey what ever floats your boat. Shane and its Now You Know The Rest Of The Story Shane This Time!!

FearSeeker
08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
In case you don't know what >< means. Let me share it with you. Homosexual men use the >< symbol as a way of letting other homosexual men know they are here so to speak. So when you see >< used in chat room, public forums, or personal ads they are using the symbol as a form of advertizement. Hey what ever floats your boat. Shane and its Now You Know The Rest Of The Story Shane This Time!!

Whatever you say, Paul Harvey! When I used it, I do know that I didn't mean it that way, but whatever makes your boat float. I'm perfectly fine with whatever anybody else wants to do with their lives.

And I also know that I've been asking everyone to tell me what the symbol means for what seems like forever, and I've been told in private messages that it means "Just Kidding" and also I've been told twice that Shane has no clue what it means. I had a feeling I wasn't getting the real story so I thought if I used it enough, the truth would finally come out, BUT... This is just too funny. Nobody seems to really know. ROFLMAO!

So what's the real story? And I will say that if it's really what Shane is saying it is now, then I don't understand why I was griped at the first time for not understanding its meaning. Aaauuuggghhhh!!!

NightTerror
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM

And now you have outed everyone who has been using the symbol?