PDA

View Full Version : Gun-toting Texans

FearSeeker
07-24-2008, 12:23 AM
I saw on the news a while ago that new efforts are underway to let Texans carry guns in plain sight. No joke. Some say it's a matter of rights, and others say it's a return to the Old West. They may look great with the cowboy hats everyone wears and with the horses everyone rides in Texas :D , BUT... I'm definitely against it. We have enough violence everywhere, and with the economy getting worse every day, I think guns being readily available is too much temptation. If we tried to bring out the dinosaur creature costume on streets of Texas if that happened, it would be shot for sure. So what do you think?

Smiley
07-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm gonna play devil's advocate a bit. With all the maniac shootings (robberies, muggings, and so on) of today, equipping one's self with a gun could prevent things from escalating and claiming a lot of lives. Should the holder be in the vicinity of such an incident. Sure the police are just a phone call away, but how many people are going to be injured or killed until they arrive?

However....

Not everyone can be trusted with that much power. Sheriffs, cops, and SWAT all have had extensive training with firearms and can use them well in chaotic situations. The common folk....well, not so much. People who aren't use to panic can miss and hit someone who's not a target or confuse another armed citizen shooting the crook as an accomplise, or vise versa.

Extra security does come with a price. While protecting against armed nutsjobs, the public also risks injuring themselves with this security. Both sides of the arguement have their logic, good logic, but there's always that catch. "If you add guns, you'll be safter, but you might shoot yourself in the foot." "If you don't add guns, you'll be safter, but he might shoot you in the foot." I can't say if the outcome of Texas doing this will be good or bad. Don't recall any scientific study done on the question "do more guns really make things safter?".

But that's just what I think.

FearSeeker
07-24-2008, 01:47 AM
I do understand your arguments, and I agree that in the hands of good people who have been properly trained, guns may be a good thing to have handy when criminals are around.

But I also remember hearing (and I don't know how to say this exactly right so you may correct me) that in England, they don't have guns like we do and therefore they don't have the horrible shootings in schools like we do and crime rates are much lower. So even without the guns there, they seem to be much safer. Is that true?

UndeadProd
07-24-2008, 02:07 AM
No offense to anybody, but I think that any debate on gun control quickly becomes pretty heated, and - in my opinion - doesn't really belong on this forum... especially just 2 months or so before many of us open for the season.

Smiley
07-24-2008, 02:11 AM
But I also remember hearing (and I don't know how to say this exactly right so you may correct me) that in England, they don't have guns like we do and therefore they don't have the horrible shootings in schools like we do and crime rates are much lower. So even without the guns there, they seem to be much safer. Is that true?

I've heard of this too, but a few charts say otherwise.

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1980/chart1xf2.th.png (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart1xf2.png) http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3532/chart2in1.th.png (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart2in1.png) http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1125/chart3ib9.th.png (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart3ib9.png) http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1453/chart4xa1.th.png (http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chart4xa1.png)

*Graphs from Crime and Justice in the United States and in England and Wales, 1981-96 11 Dec 98, US DOJ, Bureau of Justice Stats.*

Wether or not the difference in these charts is mainly because of the gun is uknown. But for a country with no firearms, the crime level is not so good.

I'm suprised to be honest.

FearSeeker
07-24-2008, 02:13 AM
No offense to anybody, but I think that any debate on gun control quickly becomes pretty heated, and - in my opinion - doesn't really belong on this forum... especially just 2 months or so before many of us open for the season.

For the record, I wasn't trying to offend anyone and I don't offend easily. I was just surprised to hear about this on the news tonight, and I wondered what people were thinking about it. I have very mixed emotions about it, have hunters in the family but just don't like the idea of everyone in Texas running around with a gun strapped to their waist as long as it's visible to everyone, can't be a hidden weapon. I don't know if that makes it better or worse, but we can drop it here if that's what you want to do.

FearSeeker
07-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks, Smiley.

Your charts are very convincing. That looks like it took some time to put together. I'm just wondering since they are based on 1000 populations and 1000 households, what that translates to in actual numbers?

Smiley
07-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Thanks, Smiley.

Your charts are very convincing. That looks like it took some time to put together. I'm just wondering since they are based on 1000 populations and 1000 households, what that translates to in actual numbers?

In 1996 (last year on the chart):

The UK had:
58,164,000 people
23,926,000 homes

The US had:
99,600,000 people
266,480,000 homes

While not having the exact numbers from the charts and just eyeballing it, in 1996:

(rough estimate)
The UK had:
7,800 accounts of robbery
20,100 accounts of assault
80,900 accounts of burglary
25,000 accounts of auto theft

(rough estimate)
The US had:
5,700 accounts of robbery
9,000 accounts of assault
50,100 accounts of burglary
9,900 accounts of auto theft

So in 1996:

(rough estimate)
1 out of every 745 UK citizen was robbed
1 out of every 2,893 UK citizen was assaulted
1 out of every 295 UK home was barglerized
1 out of every 957 UK home had auto theft

(rough estimate)
1 out of every 17,473 US citizen was robbed
1 out of every 11,066 US citizen was assaulted
1 out of every 1,988 US home was barglerized
1 out of every 10,060 US home had auto theft

Compaired to the UK (in 1996), the US contains 57,168,000 more citizens and 27,22,000 more homes. When you factor in more people and homes into the equation, the less likely it is for something to happen to you. So mathematically, the US is safer......unless you live in L.A. Then you're in deep ****.

Haunted Illinois
07-24-2008, 04:01 AM
It makes sense that there would be a higher crime rate in a place where people are not allowed to defend themselves. Considering what they are doing in Texas.. That is a visual deterrent to criminals, donít you think? How likely is it that someone is going to get mugged if a criminal sees a gun strapped to his/her hip?

As the saying goes, ďIf guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have gunsĒ. Itís not widely publicized, but the majority of guns used in crimes are illegally obtained on the black-market. With that being said, even if guns are totally outlawed, criminals will still be able to get them illegally and law-abiding folks will not have the option of owning a firearm for their own protection.

graystone
07-24-2008, 06:53 AM
My take. I don't think in public you should be able to wear a gun other than law enforcement. Now if you attend a show lets say like ummmmm TransWorld yes I think we should wear them there. We need them there and we all know why. Shane and thats Matt Dillon Shane this time.

Jim Warfield
07-24-2008, 07:51 AM
I heard years ago a security guard shot a pnuematic display creature after hours because it lost it's final air, hissed and moved all at the same time.
Guns being visible on a person would deter some crime, crime commited by criminals that are rational but guns lend themselves to emotional outbursts perminently solving problems that were really only temporary, such as romantic and depression based killings. Not good.
Guns make it too easy, but then you can't unload a knife.
Maybe we all need a small, viscious trained animal as a personal pet to make those aggressive decisions for us and the rest of the time be cuddy, friendly and cheap to keep, like the rare Egyptian butt-Hole Rat, the only drawback is they do like to hide in a certain place, usually......

Greg Chrise
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
You have to understand that most places in Texas, you don't just call 911 or the police or sherrif will be there in a few minutes. It's a use em if ya gottem state.

Supposedly everyone has them (I don't) but have actually never seen anyone show me a gun or whip one out.

Compared to Pennsylvania with a much denser population, it seems there everyone back in the day had one on the seat in their car, in there purse and was off to the shooting range.

Actually wearing a gun like a police officer may have a purpose out on the ranch and as a result the casual trip to the store. Even if such a law was ever passed, wearing a gun isn't going to be an acceptible fashion accessory in most circumstances, it is going to be a big indicator of paranoia, insecurity or, those are the robbers. It will be a reason to make sure every little town gets more tax dollars to have their own SWAT team.

Now that gas is so high or at least was unexpectedly higher price swing for even the police and services, I don't see any police just out cruising around. You are on your own. I like that fine. Compared with Pennsylvania getting pulled over a Billion times a year to see if you fit some profile or not.

Texas also has the prisons for all the surrounding states and also a few northern states and once real criminals are released, guess where they are. In Texas. Hence the police are already entertained and aren't coming by to help you get your cat out of the tree.

Also it seems many of these issues come up every year and never get passed but, some journalist got a paycheck for keeping on top of that. Yes, someone who has no real life experience can make a living and get their 2 paragraph article out across the nation and get paid. Now if I could only get it down to 2 paragraphs........I would be rich!

The13thHour
07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I do not like the idea of open carry. Alabama and many other states allow concealed carry with a license. I personally would not open carry because I think you are daring someone to do something stupid. I do believe in concealed carry because there are alot of evil people out there. My two cents.

SpookywoodsFX.com
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
mhIJOVD8hwY

creep house
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
JUST STAY OUT OF TX. ....AND YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.........::p

ALSO A NEW LAW IS THAT YOU CAN CARRY A LOADED GUN IN YOUR CAR....
LOOK-OUT ROAD RAGE..............I CARRY A THUNDER 5, A 410 SHOTGUN PISTOL.............JUST TRY ME.....DUMBASS CAR JACKER !!

Smiley
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
"Okay, I'm the only one in this room professional enough, that I know of, can carry this Glock 40. I am the only-" *BANG*

I love irony.

Jim Warfield
07-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Maybe for Texas a rattlesnake duct taped to a cane would be a better firearm.
A small black hood over his head, the hood has a pull string to quickly release it to put the snake into the fight.
You wouldn't need a silencer!

shawnc
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't wear one. If you are in a bank or store, you are getting shot by the bad guys before you even know there is about to be a robbery.

In regards to haunts, I would assume that you would be able to prohibit them. So would people get upset when they get to the front of the line and then are told they have to take their gun back to the car? Might not be someone you want to make mad.

If you are a criminal looking for a gun to commit crimes with, hang out around the places where guns aren't allowed inside and break into a car.

This law isn't quite the end-all solution that it might seem to be to some. And I'm not a gun control advocate.

FearSeeker
07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
FYI, they just had a follow-up about this on the news and I was surprised that many states (about half) already have open carry laws, some requiring licenses to carry and some not even requiring licenses. Texas is one of the few that has a law prohibiting carrying guns in plain sight. To check on your state, see:
http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

The bright yellow states require no license to carry guns in plain sight. The green ones require a license. The red ones are the few states that have laws prohibiting carrying guns openly in public.

P.S. PLEASE check the laws in your state thoroughly before you strap on a gun and start roaming around in public with one!

Jim Warfield
07-25-2008, 05:44 PM
So any opinions concerning the apparal available from the open carry web site? Like the "Open Carry Monkey"?
Monkeys can leagally open carry handguns but we humans can't?
"Aww shucks, sherriff, you can't blame me for accidentally discharging my gun, I'm just a chimp afterall!"
"He's technically right Sherriff."
"Just go quietly back to the Monkey House at the zoo, place yourself under Monkeyhouse arrest until morning.'

Greg Chrise
07-25-2008, 07:57 PM
I just remembered the Utoob sensation "trunk monkey"

At the front of your haunt remember the sequence:

First Get the ticket money,
Then the metal detector.

GingerSnaps
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
And keep Shane away from the female customers. :)

GingerSnaps
07-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Better make that ALL customers. ;)

And inflatable objects! :p

Greg Chrise
07-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Tuesday Night is Inflatable girl night. All inflatables get in for half price!

Greg Chrise
07-26-2008, 07:13 PM
This just in from on location in Texas.

It is really best to not have a weapon, as there are just so many that need to be put out of their years of misery. There is rampant compulsive stupid disorder here. It's happenng right now! If there were weapons they would have to be used.

That's it for now.
Reporting Live...Greg