PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR biggest fear?

FearSeeker
07-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Seriously, now that you are all putting together your wonderful haunts for the halloween season, do you ever stop to ask yourself what scares YOU the most and then incorporate that into your haunt? I'm terrified of some things, one in particular comes to mind immediately, but I'll wait to hear from some of you before I share. ;)

GingerSnaps
07-26-2008, 06:26 PM
One of my biggest fears is public speaking. I think it would be awesome if in some haunt, you managed to find yourself alone on a stage being introduced to even a small audience and expected to perform somehow, sort of like improv. "And next to entertain you tonight is..." That would be so scary for me.

MDKing
07-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Rain in October, especially last weekend of October!

Allan

Killer Katie
07-26-2008, 07:53 PM
My biggest fear, now don't laugh... is to be murdered violently by a maniac. Specifically by stabbing or cutting of some sort. Personally, I blame the faces of death scene where the mental patient stabs the nurse with a screwdriver, right in the neck. I think that's why i use the "insane" acting style. You know the type, mumbling, drooling, screaming, crazy eyes. And i love to design asymlun rooms. i never really tought about it before. Good questions to get the brain curves rolling!

The13thHour
07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Fire marshall

professornightmare
07-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Gas prices and the Red Sox making the playoffs!! If they do...my business goes down about 32-36% in Boston!!! I always pray for a massive case of spontaneous combustion!!!

poison
07-26-2008, 09:47 PM
1. PUBLIC SPEAKING
2. GIANT SPIDERS Like the drug store set in "THE MIST".
That would make a great set to have a BODY all webbed up and start flailing like one of my bodybag props.
And then have GIANT SPIDERS crawl, leap and drop down. SUPER CREEPY!

Patti Ludwinski
07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
As a kid, it was clowns for sure.

As an adult, I would say...drowning. I'm an excellent swimmer, so I have not fear of it regularly, but if for some freak reason I was caught underwater, it just seems like it would be a HORRID death.

Greg Chrise
07-26-2008, 10:56 PM
That someone on a haunt forum would ask me what my biggest fear is.

lurker
07-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Kicking the bucket before I'm finished....finished doing whatever I haven't yet finished.

Smiley
07-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Spiders use to give me such a fear trip. But not so much nowadays. Perhaps it's due to the ending expression I always had when I saw one, "Great, now I have to go find something to kill it with." Multiply that over the course of several years and fear quickly turned into annoyance.

Then there's hanging bodies. Can't really peg exactly what scares me about them. Maybe it's the twirlin'-in-the-breeze thing they do. The moving dead. Nightmares about them doesn't help much. Because evertime I see them, they're looking at me; with those bulging eyes and accusing stare. Also, whenever I get close, it turns out they're not quite "dead" and not happy to see me.

But I suppose my biggest fear is extreme water depth. I swear, when I can't see the bottom to bodies of water I think to myself, "Something's down there, something big, really big, watching, wanting to drag me under, and I won't see it coming."

Or perhaps I'm just afraid of giant squid.

Tater
07-26-2008, 11:39 PM
My biggest fear is posting on this board and the backlash and drama it will get ;)

FearSeeker
07-26-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm very impressed by your responses. I hadn't thought of so many of these.

Killer Katie, I promise not to laugh. All responses are welcome. We all have different types of fears, and I believe that yours is shared by many.

I also saw that many of you have come up with fears than can and already are being incorporated into haunts. Please continue to tell us your fears.

I think I was most inspired by Lurker's fear:

Kicking the bucket before I'm finished....finished doing whatever I haven't yet finished.

Wouldn't it be cool for a haunt to get a patron's name and a little info about the patron up front and then while they were going through the haunt have them walk into their own funeral? How horrifying would that be?

I've got many fears, but the one that came to mind first is scorpions. I'm sure it couldn't be done but I think it would be amazing to have patrons walk into a pitch dark room and close the door behind them. Then turn on dim lights to reveal live scorpions (that had been "fixed" so they couldn't sting or bite) crawling all over the place. That would be my ultimate fright!

Please keep sharing your fears, and thanks to those of you who already have!

FearSeeker
07-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I hadn't seen Smiley's and Tater's responses when I was composing my earlier response so I wanted to respond to theirs.

I still have Smiley's ex-spider phobia (I still have an unreasonable fear of spiders but only since I've moved into a new place that warranted the pest control guy telling me he had never seen so many).

And Tater nailed it for me:

My biggest fear is posting on this board and the backlash and drama it will get ;)

I've had that fear from day 1 of being accepted as a member here.

I'm glad I'm able to participate now. Thanks, Larry!

I have lots of fears. What are yours?

Smiley
07-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Oh, and dolls. Yeah, those old timey porcelain dolls. Jeez those eyes and static faces really creep me out.

Boni
07-27-2008, 05:33 AM
falling or movement outside of my control. At Indiana Beach they have a little balcony overlooking a skeleton rock band, as you walk out onto it it tilts forward, scared the crap out of me the first time through.

Confined spaces also get me.

Jim Warfield
07-27-2008, 09:41 AM
The tipping balcony was a feature in a haunt in the Wis. Dells for a million years.
When I was a kid snakes worried me greatly because they had no arms or legs.
I just "knew" that one of them would try to magically steal my limbs from me!
(But I NEED them!")
My parent's place has a creek running through it, numerous snakey guys there.
Spiders are fascinating, just think of the mini-brain that has all of that co-ordination to handle 8 legs!
The dark. Well what can you say? We all came from it and live in it half our lives and will be returning to it for eternity. So what's to be afraid of there?
The dark is the THE most common and natural state of everything.
Public speaking? I used to have a Jerry MaHoney ventriloquist doll and put on little shows for 20 little old women as the entertainment at their "Little old Lady" club meetings ad-libbing my way around two or three jokes I had read in a joke book.
I never cared for the thought of sharing a crawl space (while working on wiring or piping) with a critter but small spaces were usually where I hid from others and would emerge victorious during neighborhood army games, so crawlspaces were "friendly" and rewarding to me.
Most scary things to me in my adult years I take the time and energy to mostly just avoid. Injury, sickness, death, painfull slow death, we all should be consciously helping ourselves to avoid these pitfalls and that's all we can do.
I keep no piranhas in my bath tub, I don't wash my face with gasoline, I don't reach under a running lawn mower to pull out clumps of grass.
I don't smoke, drink, weigh 500 pounds or run in Marathons and drugs I have never done remain on my list of things to never do.
We must learn from the mistakes of others because our own bodies can't repair themselves fast enough to make all the mistakes possible to make and survive.
When all becomes darkness we will all look the same, some might smell differently, just like always.

graystone
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Is being at TransWorld and not being able to get to the restroom in time and shitting all over myself! ROTFLMAO!! My second biggest Fear is carving a pumkin and having Larry step on it and bust it! Shane and its I am wearing Depends Shane this time!

Jim Warfield
07-27-2008, 07:34 PM
"being taken prisoner in another country?"
Would being kidnapped by a UFO full of extremely sexy humanoid-looking voluptious females be the same fear? Or any measurable fear from such an incident at all?
I'll see all you guys down at the edge of the woods, you know where, right next to the crop-circle!

Jim Warfield
07-28-2008, 05:53 PM
We all practice "Dying Alone" everytime we close our eyes and fall into a dreamless sleep.
"Practice, practice!"

Lillian Vanderdark
07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
My biggest fear? Well, considering I am affectionately known as the Morgue ChickenSh*t, quite a few things. The three biggest though would have to be really big spiders (like the one living by my front door currently *shudder*), natural bodies of water (lakes, ponds, etc) and the body bag hall here at the morgue. The rest of the house, I can deal with pretty well these days, though the nickname sticks. But those things get me every time, and I will go out of my way to avoid them, no matter what.

Jim Warfield
07-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Two of the most common basic fears are:

1) "What is under the water?"

2) "What is under the ground?"
Both places we don't normally live, impossible to live and impossible to see very far to avoid the Nazi-zombies coming out of the submarine.

"What is under your dress?"...well, that's an age-old riddle, or a rage-old diddle?

Chaos
07-28-2008, 09:51 PM
My biggest fear...having my daughters grow up to be just like their mother. (I am their mother...and am well aware of my flaws.)

MMManiac
07-29-2008, 07:12 AM
The feeing of not acomplishing something I set as a goal for myself. That and spiders. I HATE spiders...

graystone
07-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Meeting the girl of my dreams! Then finding out shes into "Scat" sex! This would be a huge let down. Also I have a fear of going to someones house and taking a dump and the toilet over flowing. Wait what if this happened at the house of the girl of my dreams? OMG this could get bad. Shane and its not shitty Shane this time.

jack
07-30-2008, 08:26 AM
There are a lot of fears here that we use in the business--even the water fears are addressed by several haunts. My daughter, who acts at the same haunt I'm at suggested another useable fear--centipedes.

It's the more esoteric fears that are harder to realise.

In the first chapter of Niven/Pournelles updated version of 'Inferno' there is a sequence that terrifies me. The main character is trapped in a 'djinn bottle'. He can 'see' the walls of the bottle--which fill his vision with a uniform featureless bronze color, he is aware,appears to have use of all five senses, but he cannot see himself.

Which reminds me of my fear that after death there is nothing but consciousness. Black all around, awareness of self, apparent bodily integrity, but nothing else.

Hopefully, madness would eventually populate such a void.

Oddly, I thought of a way to achieve this in a haunt setting

A completely dark silent room with a thickly cushioned floor about six inches below the heavily padded doorframe.

The customer walks in, drops, and is faced with featureless darkness. The fall will disorient enough that the customer will have a real problem finding an exit(not a good thing in a haunt).

Impractical, but it would get me.

UndeadProd
07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Personally, I get freaked out by fast-moving creatures and humanoids. The lumbering Jasons and shuffling zombies never impacted me nearly as much as something that comes bolting out of the darkness.

As for impractical fears, I wish there was a way to create the kind of massive and isolated creepiness like you see in movies such as The Shinning or Session 9 ... massive and giant chambers where the group is the only one inside, with no sign or anyone else. It's not really possible to create that kind of vibe unless you had a truly epic-sized building, and your throughput was insanely low.

campdoc
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
My biggest fear! My Mother in law wanted to move in with us!
Whaaaaa...

hauntboys
07-30-2008, 09:34 AM
How about the fear of being lost......such as I don't like being in a dark maze with dead ends or lost on the streets of a big city, I don't like being lost no matter the circumstance.

NightTerror
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Sorry, but I can't resist, and it's partly because of the name "hauntboys." But when you're lost on the streets of a big city, did you ever consider stopping to ask for directions? I'm soooooo kidding, man!

I'll think about my BIGGEST fear and get back to you.

NightTerror
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I think my biggest fear is anything I even suspect being rabid coming after me, especially like flying bats in caves.

Haunted Illinois
08-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Where Transworld Exhibits Inc will decide to move the Haunt Show after next year. LOL.

graystone
08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
You know thats not your biggest fear!!! Come on now that's Larry's biggest fear! Did he tell you to say that LMAO! Shane

Jim Warfield
08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Yes, Shane, Adam has always been Larry's puppet.

NOT!

Kevin Dells
08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
There are a lot of fears here that we use in the business--even the water fears are addressed by several haunts. My daughter, who acts at the same haunt I'm at suggested another useable fear--centipedes.

It's the more esoteric fears that are harder to realise.

In the first chapter of Niven/Pournelles updated version of 'Inferno' there is a sequence that terrifies me. The main character is trapped in a 'djinn bottle'. He can 'see' the walls of the bottle--which fill his vision with a uniform featureless bronze color, he is aware,appears to have use of all five senses, but he cannot see himself.

Which reminds me of my fear that after death there is nothing but consciousness. Black all around, awareness of self, apparent bodily integrity, but nothing else.

Hopefully, madness would eventually populate such a void.

Oddly, I thought of a way to achieve this in a haunt setting

A completely dark silent room with a thickly cushioned floor about six inches below the heavily padded doorframe.

The customer walks in, drops, and is faced with featureless darkness. The fall will disorient enough that the customer will have a real problem finding an exit(not a good thing in a haunt).

Impractical, but it would get me.

Jack, I actually did experience this type of effect at a haunt but a lot higher of a fall. This was before i got into haunting myself and just toured haunts as a fan.
Otherwise i would have thought twice and went back and asked to see a manager to kick his ass knowing what i know now!

With that said, we had a reality based haunt back in the chicago area (more like Rockford but anyhow) It was a church group run haunt with a great budget BUT they did a lot of risky things and this was one of them.

Dark room, with one dimly lit light as you walked in dark as hell beyond that doorway. I believe they were depicting what suicide would be like,still not sure.

Your whole group walked up a set of stairs i counted them 6 steps at roughly 8 inches hig per step. Thats four feet to the top, you came to a platform across the top they had your entire group line up along the edge. they shut off that little light and told you to jump to your demise.

Im thinking WTF! We had no idea what was out there, what we were landing on, man it was just FREAKY! It ended up being a full four foot fall onto a hay stack that was worn thin from previous jumpers. Yes we landed on each other, it sucked but the effect was scary as hell!

Haunting Copy
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Burning to (near) death in a fire. :(

Sarah

DarkTikiEntertainment
08-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm a 6'5" hulking mass of a man, and I still get creeped out by clowns... let the mocking laughter begin... :)

Haunting Copy
08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
What, back in the day, made anyone think clowns were a neat thing???

Sarah

TheWillies
08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Clowns were very entertaining when the circus was the big entertainment that came to town every year. They came driving in small silly cars honking crazy horns doing silly "magic tricks," juggling, and seeing how many they could fit in an old phone booth. They were actually quite funny and entertaining "back in the day" as you say.

TheWillies
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Oh, and my biggest fear is being buried alive. Do you think it would be OK to do that to somebody in a haunt?

graystone
08-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Fear it that Larry will realize who TheWillies really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO Shane

Haunting Copy
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
You know that panic you get when you see something move out of the corner of your eye and then feel something crawling on you? Your first reaction (well, *my* first reaction, anyway) is to a) scream, and b) try to get "it" off.

So for a while now I've been thinking what fun it would be to have someone, high up and hidden of course, drop wet noodle pieces on people. When they scrambled to get "it" off, they'd have yet another little fright.

If that happened to me, I'd be beside myself trying to get out of there!

Sarah

Haunting Copy
08-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh, and I wouldn't care whether clowns were trying to be funny or trying to chop off my head. The fact that they wear makeup so that they are wearing a permanent smile is a deceit and suspect. It's scary no matter what.

My 2 cents. :)

Sarah

FearSeeker
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I came close to realizing one of my worst fears last night. Stepped down last night and heard and felt something crunching under my foot as I did. It was a scorpion, one of my ultimate fears. Thank God for shoes with thick soles!

And I do want to say that ever since the 1980 thriller Dressed to Kill with Angie Dickinson and Michael Caine (one of my favorite scary movies), I've had this fear of being attacked with a straight razor by a psychotic killer. In my opinion, that was a great classic scary movie.

Jim Warfield
08-09-2008, 06:43 PM
So which one would be scarier having a noodle dropped on you or a noodle the size of a sausage?
A sausage with wings that flops around and talks?
Remember "Neon Noodle?" From a Warner Bros. cartoon?
It was one of those educational cartoons that made you feel what it must be like to be on hard drugs. Very strange.

Haunting Copy
08-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Neon Noodle? 'Fraid I never saw that one.

No. I take that back. I'm *glad* I never saw that one.

Jim, ever see the latest cartoons? Freaky, man, freaky.

FearSeeker's story reminds me of the time I stepped outside
my front door - barefooted - and stomped full throttle on a
huge slug.

You'd think those guys, being slimy and all, would be slippery,
right? Well, I'm here to tell ya, they AIN'T!

I ran around like an idiot for who knows how long, trying to
scrape that bas***d off my foot. When I finally *did* get
it off, it felt sooooo disgusting. I just wanted to run away
from myself.

But the strangest thing of all was that for the life of me,
I couldn't get that sticky residue off the bottom of my foot.
For weeks it stayed there! NOTHING worked!

The whole thing was horrible!

Jim Warfield
08-10-2008, 12:00 PM
When I got this house I was picking up trash left behind (throwing most of it away, not all)
There was a fancy carrying case with a vacuum clear/floor mop-thing in it along with a glass bottle of floor cleaner.
The chemical on the outside of that bottle got on my bare hand and for what may have been the next six months everytime I had my hand up near my face there was a smell of that stuff!
Nothing removed or even really masked that smell! It just had to wear off, eventually.
Nice product, huh?

SheDevil
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Reading some of these threads has reminded me of one of my biggest fears, which is either going insane OR being locked up with the mentally insane when I'm not. I'm not naming names, but I'm starting to wonder about some of you. :)

Haunting Copy
08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Reading some of these threads has reminded me of one of my biggest fears, which is either going insane OR being locked up with the mentally insane when I'm not. I'm not naming names, but I'm starting to wonder about some of you. :)

Having signed up for this forum is a strong indication that you're not *going* insane, but that you've done been there and back! ;)

Hugs,
Sarah

Jim Warfield
08-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Ah, but the serious scientific study of the mental processes is still but in it's mere infantcy and they have much difficultly deciding whether creative people are sane or not. (Maybe because we are having too much fun!?)
I told the psychologist what the ink blot looked like to me, then pointed out each item that I saw in order and she was amazed! She said, "Nobody has ever seen that before!"
And now that I showed it to her, she had seen it, so she was the second .
She may have needed to be locked up after that, not everyone can handle such knowledge you know.
HAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Haunting Copy
08-12-2008, 10:01 PM
And now that I showed it to her, she had seen it, so she was the second .
She may have needed to be locked up after that, not everyone can handle such knowledge you know.
HAHAHAHAHAAHA!

While she may be bumping off soft white walls in her straitjacket, I'm sure she'll be
eternally grateful to you for opening her mind.

SheDevil
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Having signed up for this forum is a strong indication that you're not *going* insane, but that you've done been there and back! ;)

Hugs,
Sarah

Very likely true, been there, done that. However, I'm not yet willing to admit I have a problem and that I'm actually insane. Therefore, the problem does not exist, and you may call me Cleopatra, the Queen of DeNile. lol

Jim Warfield
08-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Denying it takes too much time and precious energy.
If I had spent that much time over these last 20 years I would have gotten very little work done on my house!
I love it when people are half-way throughthe house and they get brave enough to say, "You're Crazy!"
Then I say, "And who just paid who money to see the inside of Their house?"

SheDevil
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Very good point, Jim.

And there's a rumor going around here somewhere that you're in Cahoots with somebody named Larry. So who's Larry, and where's Cahoots? Are you enjoying your time away?

Jim Warfield
08-13-2008, 10:56 AM
If my wife finds about about me and Kay Hootz there will be real trouble!
Larry and Me is ok with her since I don't wear the dress.
("Larry: is the owner of this site.)

SheDevil
08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
So you're saying Larry wears the dress?

Jim Warfield
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm saying that I don't...wear the dress....well once or twice......my Ex-wife's least favorite house video was of me wearing a dress, dancing around to "Addicted To Love" as I'm slicing a hot dog into very small slivers of meat after it attacked me.
This video was inspired after I had the good fortune to video tape the Wieniemobile being transported down the 4-lane one winter day(That wienie was stiff then!)
Maybe a set of snow tires for the Wieniemobile would have been cheaper, but then "New Rubber" doesn't always ride like we imagine that it will.

SheDevil
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm afraid this falls into the category of Too Much Information. Would you like to share the video with us?

RuthlessOrthodontist
08-13-2008, 03:07 PM
biggest fear: posting here because it seems that so many people get blasted for doing so. Why can't we all just get along? Ha! I KNOW that's not possible. Can I fix anyone's teeth for you?

FearSeeker
08-13-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm saying that I don't...wear the dress....well once or twice......my Ex-wife's least favorite house video was of me wearing a dress, dancing around to "Addicted To Love" as I'm slicing a hot dog into very small slivers of meat after it attacked me.
This video was inspired after I had the good fortune to video tape the Wieniemobile being transported down the 4-lane one winter day(That wienie was stiff then!)
Maybe a set of snow tires for the Wieniemobile would have been cheaper, but then "New Rubber" doesn't always ride like we imagine that it will.

OK, Jim. You know you absolutely have to show us the video now. I hope it shows the hot dog attacking you before the slice and dance routine. :cool:

Jim Warfield
08-13-2008, 06:28 PM
How can there ever be "Too much information" when we live in "The Information Age"?
I used to make wacky videos to show in the first room of the house tour to kill alittle time, waiting for possibly a few more bodies to find their way here.
I would eventually start to wear out the tape, I'd make a copy, wear that out, make a compilation tape, wear that out and so I think most of the stuff I made is pretty well junked.
I revel in the fact that many of my customers will never forget what they have seen here though, don't believe me? Just ask their therapist!

A psychiatrist who was a classmate of mine told me that what I do here is cheap therapy, "Identify their fear, laugh at it then go on to something else."

Haunting Copy
08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
cheap therapy

Jim, I do declare that you have just identified the perfect tag line for
Raven's Grin Inn!

Haunting Copy
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
And what's the tag line

Raven's Grin Inn
Cheap Therapy for Your Fears! :D

FearSeeker
08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Raven's Grin Inn
Cheap Therapy for Your Fears! :D

Sounds like some of us may need to make a road trip!

TheCareTaker
08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
getting maried! but then you always have to lok forwarad to devorce! JK

realy for me it is not having said good by to those I would have wanted to and leaviing behind my boys which are still growing. other than that not much bugs or scares me any more.

maliciousstudios
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
My biggest fear Id have to say is.........Agateophobia

FearSeeker
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
I had to look that one up. And I agree with it.

As we get older, we worry that we start seeing early signs of it and some of us call that CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t), although I do know that it can get much worse than that. Scary thought, especially if you have to be institutionalized.

Haunting Copy
08-19-2008, 07:04 AM
My biggest fear Id have to say is.........Agateophobia

Good call! (I had to look it up, too.)

Sarah

Tormented Soul
08-29-2008, 03:25 AM
the economy is getting worse and worse, so I am worried about where it is headed. the next great depression? at the very least, I think it could hurt the haunting season for all of us. I think my biggest fear is that if somthing doesn't change soon, the economy will get a lot worse before it will get better and I'm afraid of the implications of this.

graystone
08-29-2008, 04:47 AM
That Tyler stops stalking Larry and starts stalking me! Shane and its I am not that way Shane this time!

Nightgore
08-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Shane you know you'd LOVE IT if I started stalking you! ;) HAHAHA... -Tyler

FearSeeker
08-29-2008, 07:49 AM
First, I have to say that one of my recent fears is that Shane and Tyler are never going to stop bickering. So I have a suggestion to both of you. If you just can't stop yourselves, then why don't you create your own Shane & Tyler Bicker thread? Then whenever you get the urge to say something about each other or to complain about something, you can go post it on that thread so that it doesn't destroy what everyone else is trying to discuss on other threads. Please get over it and grow up! At least one of you needs to be a man and let it go! If I could delete your most recent posts on this thread, I would, but unfortunately only Larry has that power.

And yes, I am well aware that I participate in seemingly mindless discussions or what appear that way but often have special meaning behind them. However, we keep those discussions in our own separate threads, which if you will notice have hundreds of views.

Now back to the most recent REAL post on THIS thread:

the economy is getting worse and worse, so I am worried about where it is headed. the next great depression? at the very least, I think it could hurt the haunting season for all of us. I think my biggest fear is that if somthing doesn't change soon, the economy will get a lot worse before it will get better and I'm afraid of the implications of this.

I think this is really an important concern given the current state of affairs so I thought it should not be lost in pettiness. Thanks for sharing, TS.

Jim Warfield
08-29-2008, 08:40 AM
All this summer I have had business every night of each month except for maybe just three nights each month. Last night with the acceptance speech on TV...nobody showed here.
The distractions of the Nov. 4th? Voting day might really take away potential thoughts about taking the time, spending the money to go haunt-visiting.
Even if the election turns out to be not even close, we have those wonderfull non-stop blabbering newspeople that will try to make controversey and jack up intrest in even a long dead "horse", if it is that way.
Has anyone else noticed how some of these "talking Heads" seem to think they are more important than either canidate?
The other day a radio commentator said he blames broadcast sports for influencing reporting this way.
This is exactly the main reason I quit watching sports! People making obvious, inane comments all game long!
"Well, Bob, I think the next team that scores will win this game!"
(Since there are only ten seconds of game left!)
"Yes the Raven's Grin Grinners, will have to make every tackle on every ball carrier if they want to shut out that team!"
"CLICK!"
"Off" is the most intelligent position my selector knob can possibly be in, I know it's just a dumb knob, but I have to decide for it and I do!

FearSeeker
08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
They just interrupted regularly programming to announce that McCain's running mate will be Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska/former beauty queen, mother of 5, who just recently had a child and they went into details about that child that I won't get into here. And Jim, you are correct that the commentators had to go on and on about crap. And McCain hasn't made the announcement yet. They said that he will make the announcement in an hour and a half. They also said that he felt strongly that he had to select a woman as a running mate. I'm sorry, but I've never even heard of this woman.

What I think I dislike the most is that the commentators tell you what the person who's about to speak is going to say, then they let them say it, then they tell you what they just said (even though you heard it) and then they interpret its meaning. Why not just let them say it and let you decide for yourself what it means?

Jim Warfield
08-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I know a very smart man , over 50, who spends alot of his time watching kids cartoons on TV.
Maybe he's smarter than I thought?
The old tube has tremendous educational potential, most of it wasted.
Science measures brain waves during TV watching and they really are not anything to brag about usually, just barely humming along, close to sleeping Zombie state of consciousness.

Greg Chrise
08-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Crap! Ain't got me no cartoon channel. Feelin' Stoopider and stoopider.

Jim Warfield
08-29-2008, 09:33 PM
You draw your own cartoons, Gregg, but that's no fun, you already know how they turn out. Then the "Why Bother" destructive bug bites butt and the urges subside.

TemptationManor
08-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm afraid about the economy to. Rising gas prices and now with huricane season, it could get even worse.

FearSeeker
08-31-2008, 02:32 PM
I am concerned that Hurricane Gustav is about to make matters worse for everyone in New Orleans and all along the Gulf Coast and even for miles inland.

It's not looking good, gas prices are already increasing, and people and their pets are being evacuated. My heart goes out to you all now.

NoiseInTheAttic
09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm worried about all of those who were in the path of Hurricane Ike and are now suffering as a result. They are now predicting more huge increases in the cost of gasoline.

I also fear that this nation needs some significant changes or we are going to have another great recession and/or depression. We're already in a big economic crisis. Former Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan has just reported that it's the worst he's ever seen and that in order for things to change, one thing that has to go is the tax breaks for the super wealthy in this country.

Sorry, but we can't change things if we waste our valuable votes on Frank N Stein for President. I will be happy to support Frank up to a point for the sake of the Haunt Industry, but not at the expense of the country's well-being, even if it means that the few very wealthy have to lose some of their tax breaks now to help save the economy. I'm going to vote for a candidate that I think will help get us out of this mess, and I don't think Frank can actually do that.

brad
09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I've got 2 fears.

My first is spiders. I was about 9 yrs. old when Arachnaphobia cam out in theatres and I've never been the same since.

My other is any body of water that I cannot see the bottom. Swimming pools- no problem. It's any lake or ocean or whatever. I cannot be the first person to jump in, but after 1 or 2 people jump in, Im ok.

Like someone posted ealier, it's just that there might be something waiting for me- looking up at me but I cant see it.

ldiliberto
09-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Hillary Clinton!!!!!!!

Frank Petruccelli
09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
BATS! That's right BATS! Yet I love Batman so go figuire. When I was about 12 years old I accidently picked up a Bat that was skimming my pool late one night, I thought it was a leaf til it started flapping. Scared the shit out of me! I have had other instances where I have been closer to a Bat than desired.

Jim Warfield
09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Last night a young man was complimenting me on the house and then said, "How did you do that "Bat-Thing?'
I just gave him a blank look (but a "knowing" blank look)

I was either pretending I didn't know what he was talking about
Or I really didn't know what he was referring to?
Or I have an incredible bat-effect I didn't want to expose.
Or I actually knew that a real bat was flying in circles inside the tower/belfry.
Hint: I'm the sort who does alot of stuff the easy, natural way.

real bat.

FearSeeker
09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Oooohhh, Jim, you evil genius!

Jim Warfield
09-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Build the Belfry ..and "They" will come.
It's about 42 foot high, pointy thing, it's frame is steel a 1947 radio tower which also was alturnately sold as a windmill , exact same product back then.
When I disassembled this 8? years ago every bolt threaded out, none twisted off, a lesson to be taught in metalurgy and galvenising for today's manufactureres.
I was amazed! (Still am!)

Labyrinth of Phobias
09-29-2008, 11:50 AM
My biggest fear is triskaidekaphobia, fear of the number 13. It's more of a superstition, but I try to avoid it at all costs.

DeadSilence
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
My biggest fear is usually realized. It's that my vote for President won't count in my state, and guess what? Unless we do something to change the system, it likely won't count again! Grrrrrrr!!!!

Mrs. ReDCroW
10-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I had some phobia to dead bodies, dunno what happened but after my mom's death I couldn't stand be near to a dead body or a cemetery. but I guess after married the hubby I learned to get over my fear and now I am a zombie lover lmao is that weird or what...

*Alex*

Jim Warfield
10-04-2008, 09:32 AM
As a small child we might fear nothing until someone shows us that we should. As we grow older and more experienced we attempt to shed our silly fears to make our lives easier but sometimes we can be forced to fear a thing we should really not be fearing because of our personal life experiences even though it may seem to others that we are going backwards toward becoming the fearful child again.
My ex loved horror movies as a teenager. As a 25 yr. old she became afraid of them?
Life is not kind to some of us.
A maturation rate when it comes to being afraid has it's ups and downs and unfortunately will be ever-changing for some of us.
A higher level of confidence in one thing can sometimes be utilyzed to give us some bravery when it comes to another situation.
Of course approaching all of this logically has to be able to get hooked into the emotional side of us to have a chance of helping and this in and of itself can be difficult.

FrightAdventurer
01-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm afraid some of us will never be able to find jobs with benefits again now that the economy has tanked. It's a scary situation out there.

Greg Chrise
01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
What are benefits? Enough money to have lunch?

damon carson
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
How about a job with Kibbles n Bits?
Damon

Twin Locusts
01-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Every painting in the Night Gallery; particularly 'Spectre in Tap-Shoes'

dungmaster
01-02-2011, 08:34 PM
What are benefits? Enough money to have lunch?

The last time I checked benefits were things like life insurance, disability, medical insurance, etc. And I certainly hope that everyone will find jobs that pay enough to eat, pay bills, and also have additional benefits like these.

Dungeonmaster

dungmaster
01-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Every painting in the Night Gallery; particularly 'Spectre in Tap-Shoes'

Hi Twin Locusts,

Just curious to know if you're serious that all of those paintings are your biggest fear since you use one as your avatar? It just surprises me, and I personally think the paintings are cool. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for elaborating!

Dungeonmaster

darkXmoon
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I have a really old school fear that I have had ever since I was a kid. I have spectrophobia really bad when it comes to black reflective surfaces. I can't be left in a room with the TV uncovered, windows drawn, and even a cover on my nice new shiny PS3. I get really scared and think that I'm going to see reflections of people looking back at me.

Twin Locusts
01-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi Twin Locusts,

Just curious to know if you're serious that all of those paintings are your biggest fear since you use one as your avatar? It just surprises me, and I personally think the paintings are cool. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for elaborating!

Dungeonmaster

Actually, DungeonM, my true deep fear was nailed almost verbatim by Smiley very early in this thread, he said:

"But I suppose my biggest fear is extreme water depth. I swear, when I can't see the bottom to bodies of water I think to myself, "Something's down there, something big, really big, watching, wanting to drag me under, and I won't see it coming."

I grew up around lakes and have an irrational fear of murky water, I imagine it having almost infinite depth and that I'll be dragged into it. I've jumped the pond several times and always imagine how ungood it'd be to ride a 777 into the drink.

Regarding Night Gallery, it's my favorite creepy scare and my only real horror weakness. I'm twice the legal drinking age and was allowed to watch Night Gallery when it was still first un, I was too young. I have great parents but they would have saved me a lot of nightmares had I not watched that show at a young age. I can remember about five episodes very clearly and the tap dancing ghost was always the scariest to me. I would have nightmares of hearing the tap dancing in my home and seeing the skeleton dancer in my room. I too, enjoy the paintings now and the history of the show, but it's the only thing that's ever really scared me.

Twin Locusts
01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Wiki'd it. This was the fifth episode in the Fall of 1973, I was first month of first grade when I saw it. This image coupled with hearing tap dancing coming from the studio of a dead dancer got my attention. But the dead chick's sister was hot; I noticed that in first grade as well.

http://hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=799

QqN45kZnWpY

dungmaster
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks, TL!

I get it now. The video is really spooky, and Sandra Dee was always known as being hot back then. It's something about the eerie music combined with the tapping.

I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping I can go watch the second half on you tube since it says that this is the first of two parts.

Thanks again for sharing. It all makes sense to me now, and I will look for other old episodes while I'm there.

Dungeonmaster

OdetteDespairr
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
1. Many legged insects...not spiders though
2. Slugs and leeches
3. Drowning
4. The dark

I know im just a big ol chicken. I actually used to be terrified of Haunted Houses and got into the business to break the fear...and look what happened.

dungmaster
01-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Thanks, Odette.

I think we're all chicken in our own ways. I'll have to make my list and post it soon. For now, I found the other half of TL's Night Gallery video with Sandra Dee and wanted to share it:

Zji0_GpIXPU

Thanks again for sharing this with us, TL.

badass
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
my biggest fear would be signing a reality show contract after that THEIR IS JUST NO TURNING BACK..truly scary

Twin Locusts
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
DungeonM - glad you got to watch it, pretty campy by today's standards. The opening scene is so back lot with the single sheet of rain and California sun shining in the back yard. It has some nice interiors though and pretty neat sound design, if you watch closely in part one, as Dee is moving through the house we're hearing the sound of the music and tapping as she would be hearing it moving closer to the source. Simple but effective.

The lumbering possession scenes are pretty cheesy but it's just got enough story to make it work. The painting avails a great character, a woman with the body to pull off that costume could make a great character out of that image.

dungmaster
01-07-2011, 08:24 PM
TL,

I plan to go watch more of those episodes on youtube. As for campy, Dark Shadows was one of the campiest shows ever, and I can remember running home from school every day to catch that show. It scared me nearly to death then.

Now when I see old re-runs of Dark Shadows, they are so funny, with sets falling down, all kinds of mishaps occurring around everyone, people walking through scenes who shouldn't be there, etc. I wonder now why I was afraid, but I'm sure it was because I was too young to be watching. These Night Gallery episodes were much better quality as you so eloquently explained in your post above.

Thanks again for sharing. I really enjoyed it and do plan to watch more.

Dungeonmaster

FeArShAcK
01-08-2011, 01:34 AM
I haven't read all of the posts here yet, but you won't ever catch me on one of those reality TV shows.

My biggest fear is bizarre. I worry when people are staring at me that I have something on me, like something in my teeth or something I need to go wash off my face. When somebody rubs their nose, I feel like I have to rub mine too, just in case. And I always worry that my ears aren't clean enough and that somebody will see something in them because I can't see what's in there. I know, I'm strange, but I have to check the mirror a lot just to be sure, at least for the parts that I can see, and it's not a vanity thing.

Darkangel
01-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Biggest Fear? Being stuck on the same frame playing Angry Birds, which is what I'm living through right now :(

DA

Twin Locusts
01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Biggest Fear? Being stuck on the same frame playing Angry Birds, which is what I'm living through right now :(

DA

been there, I gave up on two screens and went to youtube, put in the number and it's there. Turns out I had the right plan but it just had to be perfect, probably the same for you, I quit that one a while back too much of a time suck but I loved it.

Darkangel
01-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Youtube? Are there cheats on there?

Yeah, it's a time suck alright, especially when you suck at it lol

davidm
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Having my teeth knocked out.

FreakShow
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
at this moment by biggest fear is getting screamed at for posting the wrong thing on these forums. seems thats all that happens here now. hopefully this is just a passing thing but im new so it doesnt look hopeful.

dungmaster
01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Hey FreakShow,

I sincerely hope that you don't get the wrong impression. I agree that there has been too much fighting going on here, and I think most others would agree. However, I think it is unusual, so hang in there and I think you will see the situation improve.

For a break from it all, you may always check out the Inflatable Turd thread, which is just full of funny ideas and videos. But there's also lots of information to be gained here if you look for threads you are interested in. All the best!

Dungeonmaster

darkXmoon
01-10-2011, 10:19 PM
at this moment by biggest fear is getting screamed at for posting the wrong thing on these forums. seems thats all that happens here now. hopefully this is just a passing thing but im new so it doesnt look hopeful.

I have been on the forum for years and this is the first time there has been fighting. I want to say its the economy , I mean we blame a lot of crap on the economy already why not this too. So I understand your fear and where its coming from but don't let it get you down. Make a post any time you have a question on what to do or ask any random question you might have about a haunt. Even if you loose your keys we might be able to help.. ok.. we might not be able to help you with your keys...

jakprintsHAUNT
01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
In response to the fighting comment,

In an open forum with many different people with differing opinions, lifestyles, beliefs, etc...there will always be heads that will butt here and there. The recent "fighting" is not the first bout of it and I'm sure it won't be the last....its the internet and that is pretty rampant...actually much tamer here than on some other forums I have belonged to in the past. Stay out of any of the "political" subjects and you'll be fine. The people that want in those kinds of arguments will usually bring themselves to them.

Responding to the thread topic:

Worst fears are heights and death in general (either my own or those I care about). Other than that...not a lot that gives me the weak knees feeling.

Mike "Pogo" Hach

FreakShow
01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
thanks all of you, and now i know where to come when i loose my keys. haha

i also agree about the death thing, not so much about my own but about my loved ones and even pets.

HauntChick
01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I've got 2 fears.

My first is spiders. I was about 9 yrs. old when Arachnaphobia cam out in theatres and I've never been the same since.

My other is any body of water that I cannot see the bottom. Swimming pools- no problem. It's any lake or ocean or whatever. I cannot be the first person to jump in, but after 1 or 2 people jump in, Im ok.

Like someone posted ealier, it's just that there might be something waiting for me- looking up at me but I cant see it.

Let's please not forget your strange aversion, brad...

FreakShow
01-12-2011, 04:38 PM
now you have to spill the meaning behind that. :D

HauntChick
01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Leaving that to him... I got my zinger in. :) I bet he even made a bad face!

Twin Locusts
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Okay take this hack of a fear experiment.

To set up, I have no idea the validity but I've read that acrophobia [heights] is an innate fear. Simply that we all have it for our own safety, programmed into the DNA and that some people simply have it more pronounced than others. I have a moderate fear of heights - I've rappelled down an eight story building and done some cave pit rappelling. However, I still get some normal anxiety looking down from great heights. I want to see if you experience this phenomenon that I just discovered about myself and can't find any data about online. When I watch these two videos I experience two very distinct physical sensations.

First, and most pronounced - I get a very acute sensation in the soles of my feet, sort of like an unpainful burning or a warm "buzzing" sensation. Before watching these videos I had never noticed this in my life.

Secondly, and less significant - I get the same though less intense feeling in the palms of my hands and a noticeable almost instant palm sweating.

Take a look and let me know if you experience this. I considered not mentioning the sensations as the power of suggestion may play in, but thought it would seem less weird than it already does without the info. So here they are, I am certain these are real videos and in no way faked.

BTW---- no one falls in these videos, the first title must be for attention grabbing.

Gbgyy04_OV0

3gMztVVIn_U

Darkangel
01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
WHOA! That guy in the red shirt must be insane that's incredible!!! Even the trees look tiny that far up...

FreakShow
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
twin locusts,

i tried it and i got chills all over with a tingling sensation in both my feet and hands. during the second video, my heart started racing almost like a panic attack. wonder if it had anything to do with the guy who said his heart was pounding in that video?

freak

Boomtown House Of Terror
01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Bills & Taxes , the truth:-?

HauntedSoul
01-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Okay take this hack of a fear experiment.

To set up, I have no idea the validity but I've read that acrophobia [heights] is an innate fear. Simply that we all have it for our own safety, programmed into the DNA and that some people simply have it more pronounced than others. I have a moderate fear of heights - I've rappelled down an eight story building and done some cave pit rappelling. However, I still get some normal anxiety looking down from great heights. I want to see if you experience this phenomenon that I just discovered about myself and can't find any data about online. When I watch these two videos I experience two very distinct physical sensations.

First, and most pronounced - I get a very acute sensation in the soles of my feet, sort of like an unpainful burning or a warm "buzzing" sensation. Before watching these videos I had never noticed this in my life.

Secondly, and less significant - I get the same though less intense feeling in the palms of my hands and a noticeable almost instant palm sweating.

Take a look and let me know if you experience this. I considered not mentioning the sensations as the power of suggestion may play in, but thought it would seem less weird than it already does without the info. So here they are, I am certain these are real videos and in no way faked.

BTW---- no one falls in these videos, the first title must be for attention grabbing.

Gbgyy04_OV0

3gMztVVIn_U

I experienced something very similar to you, and I didn't think I had a fear of heights. I also noticed myself gripping the mouse tightly so I let it go and watched again. Very interesting.

screamforadream
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Not gonna lie, I couldn't finish watching the first video, even though you said no one was going to fall... and the second one didn't bother me at all for some reason...weird?

And biggest fear? Drowning. Hand's down. (I'm a full time lifeguard...is that okay?)

Things that creep me out the most in a haunt? Cockroach rooms. With cockroaches on a white wall in a pattern kind of like they're crawling all over with a strobe light going, can't do it. Which is weird seeing as how I love critters and play with snakes all the time amongst other things, but that's the one room that if a haunt has I just freak out, it's worse when there's no actors in there too. Let the jokes begin...Lol.

dungmaster
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
TL and Bobby,

I watched both videos and felt very stressed in general. It seemed to be in my entire body, nowhere specific, but both videos bothered me.

And Bobby, you asked, so I'll say that I do think it's a tiny bit strange that you're a full-time lifeguard but your biggest fear is drowning. I'm glad you're able to get past it enough to save people. :D At least it seems like a good way to overcome your fear.

damon carson
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Im not scared of heights really. But that video with the kid in the red shirt and just reading before hand that he falls really gave me an uneasy feeling. Dang that sucked!
Damon

screamforadream
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Ahahaha!! Yeah, I know. It's not swimming and fearing drowning, it's the thought of getting trapped snorkeling in a cave, or being murdered by drowning. I have no problem going out with nothing but a rescue tube to save someone in 15ft water. That's exciting! Lol. But I appreciate the honesty!

Twin Locusts
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Im not scared of heights really. But that video with the kid in the red shirt and just reading before hand that he falls really gave me an uneasy feeling. Dang that sucked!
Damon

Not sure if you mean the idea of him falling gave you an uneasy feeling - but, he didn't fall.

By Henri Paget, ninemsnVIEWS: 0| FLOCKS: 0| 0 comments so far
Sergeij balances on the steel beam.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan 18, 2011
A pair of Russian thrill-seekers have tested fate by climbing a 250m-high radio tower and balancing on narrow steel beams.

Video posted online shows the young man and woman climbing along the small platforms in a village near Moscow as their friends cheer them on.

After they both tentatively scoot to the edge the man stands up straight and puts his hands on his waist, with the camera panning down to reveal the massive drop to the forest below.

While some viewers have applauded the pair’s daring act, many have called it “stupid” and slammed them for putting their lives in danger.

“What if a huge wind or gust came and took that guy in the red shirt out?” one viewer commented.

Vaiva Morkushova, 19, told ninemsn she was with the group when they climbed to the top of the tower in the small village of Konstantinovo, about 30km outside of Moscow.

“We are friends from the same hood and spend our days together, we've been a friends for a very long time,” she said.

Her brother filmed the video while she stood alongside and watched.

“Well I was so afraid other guys also were afraid, but only Anita and Sergeij were so brave they decided to do this crazy thing,” she said.

The radio tower is off-limits to the public but she says her friends have so far managed to stay out of trouble.

“At this time no one have any problems, maybe no one of our area saw that video yet,” she said.

damon carson
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Ya I know he didnt. It was just thinking he might and I just clicked on the video and read the title to it. Still it messes with you.
Damon

Twin Locusts
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Ya I know he didnt. It was just thinking he might and I just clicked on the video and read the title to it. Still it messes with you.
Damon

when I scroll this page now I get the same feeling in my feet just from the still image. I'm searching a lot for corroborating accounts but can't find any, I'd like to find another example of video as well to see if it produces the same effect.

dungmaster
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
TL,

I'm wondering if these videos have anywhere near the same effect, or does the fact that there is some support involved negate the sensations? It still bothers me.

CVE5eqel5-M

-NtXMKRJCTw

Twin Locusts
01-19-2011, 09:05 PM
DM, yeah, these two don't really create the response. It may be camera point of view, don't know. I'm thinking it's involuntary, I don't think 'knowing' they're tethered is the issue - it could be a factor I just don't know.

The Russian one is the worst so maybe seeing them without a tether is an issue, beyond my awareness. The Russian one is actually hard to watch and no eaiser with number of views, maybe harder to watch.

dungmaster
01-22-2011, 11:27 AM
TL,

I've still been looking and I found a whole series of videos about ironworkers who walk around on steel beams way up in the sky while building tall buildings, etc. I do think you're correct that camera angle plays a big part in this, and those idiot Russian kids were really scary but this is still scary for me even though they are grown men being very careful. I'm putting up a short sample, but there are lots of others to look at out there.

Elimc2zCAXM

Twin Locusts
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that one's hard to watch. I've always hear this myth or legend of Native Americans that found steel work when skyscrapers hit during the indst. rev. because they could walk the beams with no trouble or need for harness. insane.

dungmaster
01-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I had not heard about that myth, but I did watch several videos of these steel walkers and they all were hard for me to watch. Some were not harnessed. Seems very dangerous.

terrormasue
01-26-2011, 08:31 PM
My biggest fear lately is spending thousands of dollars, working my rear off building, painted and creating and then no one shows for opening night of my haunt!!!! I hope this is a bad dream!!! LOL!

Twin Locusts
01-26-2011, 08:54 PM
My biggest fear lately is spending thousands of dollars, working my rear off building, painted and creating and then no one shows for opening night of my haunt!!!! I hope this is a bad dream!!! LOL!

They'll show up, take a couple of benedryl and you'll sleep right through the part where they don't. :)

Jim Warfield
01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
A local guy worked on very high towers in the military. He got out and was looking for this kind of work..sorry, no work..then they called him back after a few days, "Come and work for us."
"You told me there was no openings."
"There weren't a few days ago, until one guy fell."
One small mistake, one loss of concentration,a distraction and it's all over.
I sure hope they pay REAL GOOD! Money, no frequent flyer miles though.

damon carson
01-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I would like to know who filmed that video. Is it on a helmet or is he holding a camera? Ive been known to run into things, trip, or almost drop the camera filming. Mainly because you are worried about what is getting taped.
Damon

dungmaster
02-04-2011, 03:55 AM
It looks to me like that has to be a helmet cam, and the guy could be wearing a harness and therefore not be as afraid as I would be. But I certainly do hope they are paid well and have excellent benefits, especially if they aren't harnessed.

Johnny Thunder
02-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Heights.

Although I'm not afraid to fly and love roller coasters (and I'm 6'5" lol) -

ladders, the roof, etc. - eek.

The Forsaken Crypt
02-05-2011, 04:39 PM
This may sound strange but large dark rooms freak me out, usually for most people its cramped areas but really the open cluttered rooms do it for me

Haunted Pandemonium
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
This may sound strange but large dark rooms freak me out, usually for most people its cramped areas but really the open cluttered rooms do it for me

I agree and if there are large boxes in the clutter I worry that something will jump out at me from those too.

devolino
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
out of all the heights videos, the one with the guy walking with the camera down effected me the most. i'm afraid of heights in super specific situations, and i get somewhere between butterflies and a fever/chills kind of feeling in the shoulder area. and my knees lock up when i have to stand at the top of ladders. it's just ladders that does that, though. it makes no sense, actually. i can stand at the edge of a building [ex: i was totally fine at the highest part you're allowed on at the empire state building] and repel down stuff, but being like 15 feet up scares the crap out of me.

dungmaster
03-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm watching some guys build a house and they are walking on the high narrow boards like the steel walkers do with no harness, etc. I want to ask them if they've ever fallen because even though it's not nearly the distance we saw in the videos, the only thing below them is cement foundation. Does anyone know how to ask in Spanish if they have ever fallen? Thanks for your help! :D

HauntingPerils
03-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Have you ever fallen: ¿Alguna vez has caído?

Jim Warfield
03-12-2011, 08:34 AM
The 1898 Opera House, Savanna, Illinois.
It's new owner had his crew remodeling the great-room upstairs, his "Main Man" was walking across a 2 by 4 about 22 feet above the floor, he is about 6ft 2, muscular, maybe 220 pounds.
The 2 by 4 might have been an old dimension/cut one which was actually "2" by"4" inches.
"Snap!"
He grabbed mid-air first, then some part of something and was dangling there waiting to fall the rest of the way!
He was rescued, never took that trip.
The 2 by 4 had a knot occuppying 1/3 of the piece of wood's thickness, severely weakening it's ability to hold him.
Knots can hide on the other side of the board... until.....I would have Never walked across it myself illreguardless.
I have done some "Hairy" ladderwork in my life though.
The opera house was the scene of a murder about 1903. It's owner's Wife was possibly messing with an office tenet, a lawyer, the owner killed him, then a few days later killed himself.
The murderer was a druggist on the first floor, excused himself to a waiting customer, went out and up the back of the building, murdererd him, came back down, handed the woman her prescription= alibi?
He had built this huge building just for his wife who fancied herself a "Singer". The upstairs was closed off for many years.

Greg Chrise
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Of course at the moment they turn their head to try to understand you attempting spanish, that's when they fall.

Tom
03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
My worst fear is/was.... you have 30 days from today to get everything out because I have other plans for the building....

Well, my fear came true 1 & 1/2 weeks ago.

dungmaster
03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
My worst fear is/was.... you have 30 days from today to get everything out because I have other plans for the building....

Well, my fear came true 1 & 1/2 weeks ago.

So sorry to hear that, Tom. Hopefully something can be done in time to salvage this coming halloween haunting season. All the best!

Of course at the moment they turn their head to try to understand you attempting spanish, that's when they fall.

No worries, Greg. I got the response so late that no workers were harmed because of my stupidity. :mrgreen:

WickedWillow
03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm afraid to do my taxes because I'm afraid I will owe $$. Guess there's only one way to find out. Stop procrastinating and just do it. :p

WickedWillow
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I did my taxes and I'm actually getting money back, so I suggest if anyone is putting it off like I was, just do it. :p Now should I be afraid of being audited? I didn't fudge any numbers so I think it would be more of a pain than anything else. I hope everyone gets some money back! :p

piercemanor
04-05-2011, 09:28 AM
needles, i suffer from a sever case of belonaphobia, fear of syringes, needles, or any foriegn object entering my body

Darksydesigns
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
needles, i suffer from a sever case of belonaphobia, fear of syringes, needles, or any foriegn object entering my body

Sounds familiar...:roll:

Jim Warfield
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Because there is a difference from one shot to the next. Needles were a common thing when I was a kid. The vaccine for Polio was discovered! We had to get numerous shots for that over a period of years. I was a foolishly active kid stepping on nails needing tenus shots. Certain "loads" in the syringe hurt more than others. Like a Booster shot always hurt more I think maybe the medicine was thicker and they needed to use a bigger needle?
Some nurses who gave alot of people shots regularly were usually talented at NOT making them hurt so much, conversely a nurse who was a newbie to the medical field or an 80 yr. old doc who was shakey...
"Doctor! Come over right away , my Husband is really sick!"
"OK, I'm coming now!"
Later, "Oh, Hi Doc, "I'm sorry to call you like that, my Husband just wanted you to come over and have supper with us, he's not really sick at all."
"Where is he?"
"Asleep on the couch in the front room."
Old doc Petty opened his black bag fixed up a shot of Penicilin, walked over and slammed that needle into the Husband's sleeping arm, right through his shirt sleeve!
TRUE Story from the old days of "Medicine" in a small town.

Greg Chrise
04-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Balony phobia? The fear of meat by products and chicken lips.

Jim Warfield
04-06-2011, 12:42 PM
So an aversion to listening to political debate without the special sauce still scary?

Jolly Pumpkin
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm honestly not afraid of too much that I can't easily overcome. I think most people are afraid of waking up as an old man or woman and realizing that they haven't accomplished everything they wanted to in life and that it's too late. I have a fear of losing loved ones. I'm not crazy about roller coasters, but I can get over it.

terrormasue
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Several years ago I made a life sized mummy and put in real looking eyeballs and hands. I had him laying down on his back as I was gluing the cheesecloth in places finishing up. I swear I saw him look at me and let me tell you it did freak me out a bit. I knew in my mind that I made this guy but when he was finished and lying there it was pretty creepy.

damon carson
04-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Wow Sue that sucker must look really real! You sure you didnt dig him up somewhere else? LOL! I would like to see a pic of him.
Damon
Frightmasters
www.houseoffright.com

HordeOfUndead
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Jolly Pumpkin;116179]I think most people are afraid of waking up as an old man or woman and realizing that they haven't accomplished everything they wanted to in life and that it's too late.

+1

My true fear, which is somewhat embarrassing are BEES. Just in general, and I know they're not technically scary, but I cannot STAND them. Maybe I was stung too many times a kid, and everyone says "oh if you don't bother them they don't care about you..."

If a bee gets even remotely close to me I will get up and move away. I think it's just the thought of how quick they can buzz around you with the potential of somehow pissing it off you WILL get stung. And don't even get me started on the bigger suckers like HORNETS...yiiikes

wickedfarmer
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I have done a lot of canoeing in Ontario...even cordinated two trips for filming on Outdoor Channel. My biggest fear is getting tipped in moving water and snagging up under water and drowning. Tying that would be getting entangled in farming equipment or seeing family member doing the same.

Wicked Farmer

skullyprops
04-10-2011, 09:04 PM
My fear is being buried alive. Waking up in the grave

dungmaster
05-04-2011, 05:47 AM
My current biggest fear is retaliation by Osama Bin Laden's followers.

The Forsaken Crypt
05-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Chainsaws, gets me every time