PDA

View Full Version : a REAL haunted house in St. Louis

Mark McDonough
07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Something you do not want to miss when you come to St. Louis for the trade show is the Lemp Mansion....especially if you are into authentic haunted houses.

Life magazine voted it one of the 10 most haunted houses in America!

The Lemp Brewing dynasty, the folks that introduced the lager to America...was located a mere stone throw from Anheuser-Busch. While Prohibition killed the company...it was suicide that often killed the Lemp family members.

The Lemp Mansion, the jewel of the Lemp family empire, has been restored over the last couple of decades and is now a resturant / bed & breakfast.

The food is outstanding and some of the stories are just downright creepy!

If you are feeling especially adventerous....skip the downtown hotel and stay in a true haunt. The exceptionally brave will ask for the Lavender Room. I put a client up there for a night and the next day he had some amazing stories!

Check out this story about the Mansion.

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/hauntedhouses/LempMansion/

Jim Warfield
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
...been there done that.

I have a story about the Lemp mansion too, my ex and myself spent two nights there around Thanksgiving one year (all her idea!?)
Of course her Mother and Grandmother just lived across the Miss. River from there so it was also a social/family thing.
As my Ex was filming everyone she said to me, "Jim , give Grandma a squeeze."
So I placed my one hand on her head and squeezed her head like a basketball in the hands of a 7 footer NBA star and made a "Honk!" sound defect with my oral cavity.

The Lemp mansion is a neat place I would like to see it again if they ever open the tunnels /cave to the public.
That would be fantastic to see from what I heard.

jason
07-31-2008, 07:54 PM
yep been there done that too.

if you're lucky you may get to stay the night al alone like me and my girl did.

another note..great food!

drfrightner
08-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Lemp Mansion is a pretty cool place and it is right across from the old Lemp Brewery. I think it was four different Lemps killed themselves in the Mansion.

It was listed as one of the top ten most haunted places in America.

Larry

Jim Warfield
08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
If I return to Lemp mansion I would be sure and wear my corrective shoes(along with my corrective underware) I would not wish to draw attention from the ghosts there by walking with a lemp,er limp?

hauntedhousenut
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Someone a little touchy today?

damon carson
08-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Ive seen the caverns its pretty awesome. Dan Faupel could probably get a few folks in down there? 3 of the Lemps killed themselves in the house. Elsa killed herself in another home. I believe they were all from gunshots to the chest or heart. Very spooky and beatiful place I love it!
Damon

Mark McDonough
08-05-2008, 02:45 PM
The caves are amazing, but unfortunately strictly off limits now-a-days. (for the most part....hehe)
At one time, my shop was directly over the caves with direct access!
Unfortunately, Dan won't be able to work up any tours as he is now a resident of Florida....but he has been on a few trips through the cave and has plenty of stories to tell.

An interesting fun-fact....we filmed part of the video for our Wild West Adventure in the caves.

Even without the caves, the Lemp Mansion is worth the visit on it's own. I may be trying to work up a group dinner there during the show....stay tuned for details.

Speculo
08-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Years ago... I might have been about 15 years ago, I went to a bunch of Haunts in St. Louis one night, Silo X, The Darkness (Year One) , Fearless, TerrorVisions, and one in the Lemp Caverns -

We took an elevator down to the cave - a bunch of guys not in costume jumped out at us when the doors opened - Is that area now of limits or is that a place to tour?

It was set up like a pretty good regular haunt with mummy rooms, snake pits, slam down scares, etc, but when you looked up there wasn't the standard warehouse roof we all know and love but rather a cave! They stored beer down there or something like that?....

Pretty cool! Man there were a lot of haunts in St. Louis back in the day!

Thanks

damon carson
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I dont know all the exact details but the owners of the Lemp B&B I believe there name is the Pointers. They sold off the old brewery carverns included? This has been about 4 or 5 yrs ago maybe longer. Supposedly it was being bought up for upscale restaurants, apartments, ect. Im not sure if that ever happened. Ive drove through there in past years and it all looks pretty much the same. Like I said in a earlier post Creative Visions studio or whatever I guess was actually in one of the old brewery buildings that lead to the caverns. It appeared on an episode of the old Mtv show fear. And they took them through the caverns ect. The real name and story of the place was botched up though. I guess so people wouldnt try to find the place and trespass. I had heard the Mississippi river had backed up into the caverns and they were closed. But then another person who had access to them told me that wasnt true. They are very neat and yeah they used to hold ice cold Lemp Beer in them.
Damon