PDA

View Full Version : Fire Burns Down Six Flags Haunted House

drfrightner
08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
All you have to do is go to Yahoo and search under news and you'll find two dozen stories about this... Great America I think but their haunted house burned to the ground and shut down their entire park .

THIS IS BADDDDDDDDDDDDD NEWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSs for our industry because there isn't a fire fighter anywhere not reading this story.

It couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Lucky for us no one was hurt.

Larry

MDKing
08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Things happen, the fact that it wasn't during the season with people in it will help out some. They'll be checking up on us pretty tight here in Maryland, we'll be ready for them.

Allan

graystone
08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
This might be bad news for us. But here is what I don't get. An Apatment building can burn down and no other apartment building will suffer from it. A Hospital could burn down and no other hospital building will suffer. A high rise Hotel could burn down and no other Hotel would suffer. The White House could burn down from a accidental fire and again no one would suffer.I homelsee shelter could burn down and again it would be tomorrows old news! All would be totally accidental and tomorrow it would be forgot about for the most part. But let there be a accidental fire at a haunted attraction and all Hell breaks loose. I just don't understand that. We all walk through the hot coals and back just for the love of the Haunt Industry and our Haunts. I just don't get why this Industry is so Taboo!!!! Shane and its I Just Dont Get It Shane This Time!

drfrightner
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Here is the official cause...

http://wjz.com/local/six.flags.fire.2.784093.html

They are saying it was electrical.

Larry

FearSeeker
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
If the cause was electrical and accidental as they are now saying, then I'm with Shane ><, I don't get how it could possibly hurt the haunt industry.

UndeadProd
08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
There have now been 2 significant fires at theme parks this year (don't forget the big blaze at Universal Hollywood this summer) ---- and a bad run of seemingly unrelated but highly publicized accidents at amusement parks all season long.

My guess is that more than a few safety officials will think: if that much destruction and injury could happen at multiple, multi-million dollar amusement parks with state-of-the-art life-saving equipment and emergency procedures ... it might be a good time to check-in on "Benny's Boo Barn of Blood" and make sure that everything's as safe as possible.

If you're doing everything properly, and keeping in close communication with the FD than you're probably ok ... but those attractions who are pushing their luck might be in for a shock this year.

NightTerror
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
What a horrible shame!

RJ Productions
08-02-2008, 12:19 AM
It is alway ridiculous! How many apartment fires were there in the last month?
Do they shut down or change inspections of apartments though out the country?
NO!

If anyone makes a comment on this use this link:
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0708/540316.html

Also in MD ON THE SAME DAY, a fire in the Marriot's unfinished mansion.
Do we shut down all mansions and require new inspections?

We should have all the facts to be able to be informed, but should avoid as much as possible. Here's what I mean....

This is where we need a real industy leader than can step forward and put a proper spin on this.

The only other major fire was in 1984...TWENTY FOUR YEARS AGO!!!

How about...

"In the last 24 years there have only been 2 major fires in Haunted Attractions. Only one caused any bodily harm. In those 24 years over 360 million people have visited haunted attractions. The proactive nature of the owners and operators of Haunted Attractions have made this industry one of the safest in the world."

THIS is what our industry needs, procative assessment! We need statics on other industries to have something to compare to. Had many injuries and deaths in other industries?

Here's some "spin doctoring" for you....They are building the next mega resort here in Vegas, City Center. According to reports, EIGHT people have died on the project. The point here being that actually SIXTEEN people have died, eight were transported to the hospital and died in route or at the hospital. Since they didn't actually die ON the property they don't count!!!!

Many Haunters are active in other fields. Maybe we independently start gathering this type of information in our other fields so we can compile a comparitive list.

I based my little quote on only 1,500 haunts nationwide with an average of 10,000 participants. In 24 years that's 360 million visitors. What if there are really closer to 2,000 or 5,000 haunts? Now we're talking over a BILLION participants!!

THIS is how we need to be proactive, not quaking in our boots waiting for the Fire Marshal to throw this latest incident in our faces!!

Rich

Greg Chrise
08-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Just like some wanna be slum lord builds low income housing projects and then turns around and this is a for profit apartment complex that just had a unit burned, the two things every fire marshal can quote have Six Flags name on it. They have obviously over looked things historically and actually seem to get and relish free advertising when other things happen like a ride takes off a girl's feet or decapitates someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Is there a fan base all intrested in what is happening at six flags? I don't think so. I don't think it really has the fandom of Universal or Disney. It is just an over grown roller coaster park, continually restructuring because it is out of control.

Our haunts aren't being used as off season storage for truck loads of toilet paper or pop corn boxes that an amusement park would run through.

I'm still wondering about this media connection. There aren't fans blogging about roach infested apartment complexes or hospitals of that.

On the other end though, there are 120,000 fire departments with gazzillions of dollars in equipment also with a need to communicate how important they are to a community. It comes around at all levels of local, state and federal program government when they need a new budget.

Any verteran fire marshal, or haunted house owner can see this over justification at all levels and lacking where problems occur. I'm thinking it might actually be better to just leave the total impact of this event to a brief 50 word article that says nothing. If it becomes some viral topic for discussion or defense, it fuels to a bigger notice.

Boni
08-02-2008, 06:22 AM
I guess I look at it a little differently. I say bring it on. If I am not up to code, I should be shut down.

Try to put a positive spin on this, lets prove to the general public that we are doing things the right way, we are up to code, we listen to the fire marshalls in our areas and our haunts are safe.

As to those that aren't up to code and give the industry a bad name, let them get shut down, take them out of the mix, that leaves more revenue for the rest of us that put the time and effort to make sure we have alarm systems, fire extinguishers, emergency exits, emergency lighting, and we make sure other safety hazards are taken care of too.

We can even use this in some of our pamphlets, "Our operation has been inspected and approved by the local fire marshall. We meet or exceed all required state fire safety laws. If you have any questions, please ask any one of our actors, they have all been trained on fire prevention techniques."

graystone
08-02-2008, 07:15 AM
The point here is not that we are trying to get out of inspections ect. The point here is we do go above and beyond what they ask of us and we still catch hell! Again its all taboo!!!!!!!! We do, do, do, do, and still thats not enough! Shane

MDKing
08-02-2008, 07:24 AM
That's how I look at it. We are always up to code and we have a great relationship with our county, and they are STRICT!!! Because of that we can not do what other haunts do and can get away with, like up in PA, but haunts in Maryland have a pretty good record of being safe but straight forward. You can't get frightend when this happens, you have to be proactive.....

Allan

shawnc
08-02-2008, 01:50 PM
It just occured to me that the real problem won't be with the fire inspectors (assuming everything is up to code). It will be with lawmakers, whose knees will jerk at the suggestion of some advocacy group that thinks everyone needs to be protected from those evil haunt owners who have no regard for the safety of their innocent customers. Can you just imagine the new laws they might come up with?

On a semi-related note, local boards outlawed the use of formerly legal Safe and Sane fireworks in my area last year. This was in response to problems caused by illegal fireworks smuggled in from Mexico and drunk people illegally throwing the legal types. It didn't matter that more than 99 percent of people were using them correctly. The bad apples got a few headlines and local fire chiefs thought they needed to save us from ourselves. So you can no longer buy safe fireworks at roadside stands. But that didn't stop the illegal ones from continuing to be smuggled in.

No one ever said laws had to make sense or actually accomplish what they were supposed to.

Haunting Copy
08-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Another click tighter on the cuffs of freedom. <sigh>

Before any battle can be won, though, you have to understand your opponent's viewpoint.

I think the reason the attraction (haunt or otherwise) get so much publicity and people raising hell is because in the attraction business, people are clustered tightly together. The ramifications of this can hardly be understated. It affects *everything*.

If there is a fire at an apartment complex, yes, there are lots of people there, too - but they're not all cramped together in the same room.

Another psychosocial(?) element of these tragedies is the gruesomeness of some of them. Getting one's feet cut off? An involuntary flinch comes across most people's faces when they hear that. And then, later, they get pissed. Someone's gonna pay.

When a hurricane came through Houston a few years back (can't recall its name), there was a doctor working at one of the hospitals whose head got caught between a set of elevator doors as they were shutting. The doors didn't let go, and the elevator went on its merry way. The doctor was decapitated.

Things like that make people cringe and the stories stick in their minds. It's something we have to understand and be very careful with how we deal with it.

That said, one small piece of the solution could be to include in our statistical retorts the percentage of injuries that are customer-propagated. It would be tough, but we gotta start somewhere.

Above all, show your public your happy willingness to put up with the extra "loving" attention you're getting from The Powers That Be.

Sarah