PDA

View Full Version : Foreign made Props

RJ Productions
08-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I've noticed references to vendors outsourcing products to Mexico or China. People have made comments about how our stuff should be made in US. In a perfect world we would create and manufacture everything in house. The question is how can vendors maintain control and still stay in business!

If anyone wants an answer to why things are being outsourced you need only look in a mirror! We want high quality in the products we purchase but all we do is complain about price. So one vendor goes to Mexico to try and lower the price point. Given a choice between “price” and “quality” we tend to choose price….then we have the audacity to complain about quality!!

There are things no one ever seems to factor in, down time, repair time, repair cost. We’re only open for a LIMITED engagement. You can get a similar prop for $50 or $200. What good is the $50 prop if it’s down half the time?? How good a deal is it if you spend hours repairing it after every show???

How do vendors compete and still stay in business??? Maybe they start promoting the fact that they DO manufacture themselves. So if you think a price seems a bit high, factor in that it wasn’t outsourced and maybe it will justify the price difference. Focus on quality and it may save you money in the long run. If you only support the price aspect of prop making, you may eventually remove any choice in the future.

What’s the old saying, “You can have a product good, fast, cheap, but you can only have TWO out the three!”

Gore Galore
08-10-2008, 09:50 AM
You got it Rich,

It is very simple. You get what you pay for.
Many new companies also come into the biz trying to undercut the companies that have been around a while to get a market share. They soon find out they can't operate that way and either go out of business or increase their price.

There are several companies now that import their product. And they sometimes have alot of difficulty getting their product back in time for delivery. I am sure that is very frustrating for them.

We, Gore Galore, manufacture everything in house. If we sell it, we make it.
But because we do everything in house we have both positives and negatives.
Yes, we control the product quality. But the price does have to be higher than an importer.
But we have delivery issues too. That is why we stop taking orders in July.
We want to make sure and fill ALL our customers orders.

But you know something.
Both the vendors and the customers can change the way the business works.

Very simply, choose quality over price.

Our group the http://www.halloweenhauntvendors.com is working to establish quality standards with our member vendors. We do not support vendors who use sub standard parts in their products.
What I mean is we recommend our vendors to use quality industrial quality components in their animatronics rather than things like Door closers, or Water sprinkler valves etc... It will drive the price up some, but the quality will be up 10 fold.

This has been a public service message :)

Jim Warfield
08-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Cheap coolie mayk mie stuf his naym Gym, he use quality gravitee to mayk stuff falldown and mussles to pull bak, skar peepal.
he everr gimme chitt I fyr hym, he is me, i need the rest. yoo fyred gym!
u idiott!

wipp
08-10-2008, 10:20 AM
i think you missing one point tho,how about the vendors that sell over priced junk,right here in the usa. the costomer pays extra and promised quality and your prop breaks on first night.works 2 ways

graystone
08-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Your 100% right you get what you pay for! I rather pay good money for a good product than cheap money for a piece of shit! Now I also agree with Wipp! If we pay good money for a product there should be no reason we can not have that product when we ask for it and there should be no excuses period! No if, ands, or but's!! So vendors I myself don't mind paying good money! But please don't give me no shit when I ask for it!!! Shane and its Shane for president in 2009 this time!

FearSeeker
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I have to agree with Wipp and Shane that I would rather pay extra for good quality any day. I know it's not props but I think a good example of this is buying a car. Most people want to buy a car that's built to last. There's much debate over what that is, but if I think that's an imported car, then I'm going to pay the extra for the import and I do expect for it to be here when they promise it. Just my opinion.

Jim Warfield
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
It is all relative to how long and hard you work to make the dollar, isn't it?
Many of us were/are yard haunters with little to no money.
Go on some other forums where it is mostly yard haunters and some of them will agonise over whether or not they might be able to find the money to buy the smallest, cheapest little air compressor ever made.(Their "first" air compressor)
I think alot of this way of looking at life and money and haunting is still very prevailent in most of us. (Whether we wish to admit it or not?)
Maybe if Halloween wasn't seasonal we would see it differently?
When you don't have an extra, spendable buck is when you notice how easilly money seems to spend and...not return, "Whoops!" What am I going to be eating tomorrow?
Not a good feeling.

FearSeeker
08-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Sorry, Jim. I don't mean to take my money for granted. I literally grew up with next to nothing like many of us and worked my you-know-what off to get to where I am today and still have a full-time job (happen to be on a working "vacation" now) but consider myself a workaholic. That's not to say that many of you are not in the same boat. I just had a few breaks along the way and my original investment in a haunt paid off when all my friends and family told me I was nuts to take that risk, so maybe that's why I now have some money to work with.

Jim Warfield
08-10-2008, 01:07 PM
It's all just a basic attitude-thing, illreguardless of how much money a person does or doesn't have (or thinks that they should have?)
There were many people around here who lived through the crash of the 1929 stock market and even after they were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars a lifetime later, they still drove really old junk for cars and wore faded rags for clothes, just because of what they had seen and lived through and the life's lessons they thought they had gained from that hardship.
"Money is meant to save, not spend."
"Farm land is meant to be bought not ever sold."
Like my Great Uncle who owned a very successful night club who said, "Booze is made to sell, not to drink."

FearSeeker
08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, I definitely disagree. "Booze is made to drink, not sell." :cool:

Greg Chrise
08-10-2008, 02:03 PM
There you go then, we can all agree on one thing...

Booze is made.

shawnc
08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Saw an article the other day on a subject that I think is very similar to this one.

China is working hard to import cars into the U.S. Way down in the article there was talk about quality problems. Since we all know about Chinese quality (or lack of) that should have been at the top of the story.

It said that Chinese cars had twice as many complaints as the vehicles U.S. drivers normally buy. I found that amazing. I would have thought ten or 20 times as many. But only twice as many? They must really be stepping up quality control over there.

Jim Warfield
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
There are a zillion little car companys in China but they are only allowed to operate on what we might call county roads and are not legal to drive outside of that area.
Did one of our American car companys put a huge factory over there several years ago?
I think the 4 cylinder Pontiac engine in small vans is a product of China.
Does anybody ever consider the fatal consequences of an accident in a very small high mileage car?
I could see them being extra-efficient, they double as your coffin after the accident, they just bury you in your tin can, saving lots of money.
"How do you like your little car now! For all eternity! "(Or longer!)

Phoenix
08-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Yeah but American car quality is pretty crap too, last car I hired in America (dodge something or other) the door panels buckled when I closed the electric windows!

Mock Chinese quality at your peril, remember the 70s when we mocked Japanese quality, by the end of the 80s the Japaneses were teaching quality to the rest of the world, in the 80s we mocked Taiwanese Quality yet by the end of the 90s they were challenging the Japanese.

Anyone watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics, did you notice the way the Chinese pulled off their most stunning visual effects, it was pure people power, any western country would have done the same thing with millions of $$$s of computer hardware, the Chinese just take 30,000 people and train them to behave like computer pixels, no other country in the world has got the resources or power to control people the way the Chinese have.

OK, so at the moment they are not catering for the 'quality market', but history proves that they don't have to, and when the Chinese markets attention does turn to quality then watch out.

Jim Warfield
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
For some reason the old "Carrot" hanging from the string on the stick infront of the donkey does always "Work", but then I imagine the donkey is actually hungry too, unlike most of us here who go through the motions of eating just to keep our jaws mobile to begin talking again.
"BURP! Pass the mashed potatoes Please!"

shawnc
08-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Phoenix,

Yeah, that worries me a lot. We have become accustomed to the Chinese crap that is everywhere these days and look down on them for it. As much as they dominate our economy now I hate to think what it will be like 10 years from now when they figure out that cheap isn't always what the customer wants.

Jim Warfield
08-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I really don't know this for sure, but for every 100 items coming here from China, how many of them were built to specifications given to them by our designers from right here in the old USA?
Would Chinese people just begin whipping out all sorts of items not knowing what our fads, fashions, desires are ?
I think not in most cases. The most inexpensive products in the world are just landfill if nobody wants them.
There are plenty of people right here who contribute heavilly to helping the Chinese workers remain very busy creating products that they and our own business people WILL be making a profit on.
I might have read once that most Japanese cars are actually designed by our citizens.(as far as the body design goes.)
We just all have to learn how to live on $1,200 a year as do most Chinese are rumored to do.
The budget: Rent-live in a log cabin(you made yourself)
Food- Have your own garden and go hunting in the woods everyday
for meat.
Electricty-"What's That?"
Car- "?"

maliciousstudios
08-15-2008, 06:33 AM
I agree,

when we take an order we are hired / contracted to finish a job by a certain time.... we have a deadline. If we dont finish the job by the deadline there should be a penalty for us as a vendor. If the vendors want to make a "gaurantee" as allot of them have these days.... they should offer the product by the deadline and if the product doesnt arrive it will be severely discounted.

We all know theres a markup on these items, a "gaurantee" is just a word untill you put some sort of a penalty behind it.

Haunters have been paying the penalty for shotty business, why should the customer pay for the error of the company producing the product especially when the product had been ordered in advance by one year?

As far as the inferior parts and products, we all have bought something cheap at local tool stores, dollar stores, etc. allot of these items are built overseas or in mexico hell, some are made right here in the U.S. Some are decent deals and some are just junk, ( i.e. ultimate Christmas present "The Ratchet Screwdriver - yellow and black? yeah Ive got one too") LMFAO.... Anyways we pay the penalety and learn not to by them again. Thats all we can do, theres no way you can put a ban on junk....they will just slip through the cracks and invade our wallets. We will simply grit our teeth and try to remember that it is junk and we wont buy it again.

My theory,

A good deal is always out there - we all are looking for it whether its polyfoam or silicone to build our props or you buying the prop itself. I am always looking for a better deal on suppliers so I can offer my stuff at lower prices.

Sometimes, a better deal means you just saved allot of money on a good quality product. Sometimes it means you have just learned a lesson and you wont buy from that company again. I believe if a company sells junk they will go under sooner or later.

( I remember when I learned the word HOT, I burnt the shat out of my fingers at the age of 5. Later down the road I met a girl - all the guys said she was HOT....even though HOT burnt the shat out of my fingers at the young age of 5 I simply couldnt keep my hands off her HMMMMmmm..... could a vendor selling something cheaper mean the same thing??? Sit and ponder with me wont you ?? )

graystone
08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
What I just read!!!!!Maliciousstudios I am amazed at what you said in your post. This is the first time I have seen a vendor talk like this. What do you make? Do you have a website? I for one will be spending dollars with you if you have something I can use!!!!!!! My hats off to you! This is what Shane has been preaching for years at shows months here on Larrys site. Brother lets hope that all vendors will follow your lead!!! Shane and its I am still in shock Shane this time.

Jim Warfield
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm a vender now!
I'm selling US American made $5.00 bills for only $10.00!
Get them before supplies run out!
Add $4.00 for shipping and mis-handling.
thank you
We will NOT be undersold!
In business since...60 seconds ago!

maliciousstudios
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Once again I am confused at what he just said.... insanity thats why I like him....LMFAO at Jim.... hmmmm...mmmkay....

maliciousstudios
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
We are a new prop company, well new to the haunted house industry.... we are trying to tap into your juggulars without spilling too much blood. Yes we do have a website, its almost done. We will be spreading the horror soon..... you may find us at www.maliciousstudios.com and we wont be selling $5.00 bills I will leave that up to Jim, I think thats beyond my capabilities..... we are just prop builders here.