PDA

View Full Version : Concessions At Your Attraction?

graystone
08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I think I may have asked this a long time ago but could not find it. Who sells concessions? Do you do good? At what attraction do you sell them at and what do you sell? Does your haunt do the concessions or do you have someone come in and do them on a split or commission basis?

Graystone Manor We do the concessions ourselves. We also have a dining area that seats 200 people.
Yes we do very very well on them. We sell the following.
Hand dipped corn dogs
Roasted hot dogs
Chili dogs
Polish dogs
Nachos
Pretzels
Fries
Chili cheese fries
Chicken on a stick
Candy apples
Carmel apples
Funnel cakes
Mozzarella cheese sticks
Pizza
Hambugers
Chicken fingers
Cotton candy
Fountain drinks
Coffee
Tea
Hot chocolate
Shane and its I am hungry Shane this time.

Infoamtek
08-27-2008, 11:09 PM
The problem with food concessions here in California is all the red tape you have to go through. If you are selling food that is not prepackaged, you have to get permits from the city and state, with inspections from the Health Department and their rigorous rules on how the food can be prepared. Any employee handling the food has to have a food handlers license. I'm glad to see other states aren't such pains in the butts as CA.

graystone
08-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Actually we too have to go through the same things as you do in CA. We have to have our score posted for everyone to see. We have had as high of a score as 98 and as low as 90 anything less than 80 they shut you down. But trust me we have to go through it all here in Alabama too. Shane

graystone
08-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Does no one sell food? Shane

Jim Warfield
08-28-2008, 06:36 PM
The Fire Dept. sets up a food stand right across from my house, they sell a variety of things, the most popular item is their pork chop sandwiches.
Of course if they weren't there I would have alot less trash to personally pick up in the parking lot.
Yes, I am multi-talented I even bend over and pick up other people's trash after it's all over. If I don't, I have to look at it until it either rots or the wind changes and blows it over the small cliff towards the river.
The crappy, drippy disposable diapers in my garbage can are an all time favorite item here, we love em!
NOT!

hauntedhousenut
08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
What item do you sell the most?

graystone
08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Here is the top Sellers I will list the top 3
3rd place the carmel and candy apples
2nd place is a tie between funnel cakes and chicken on a stick
1st place is our hand dipped corn dogs hands down!
Shane and its pass the mustard Shane this time!

Jim Warfield
08-28-2008, 10:25 PM
1) One chicken with a carmel apple in it's beak,
2)Push it through a funnel
3)Shove in the stick,
4) hand dip it

Be ready to run like Hell! Because now that bird will be all worked up!

kpolley
08-28-2008, 11:06 PM
We sell food at Darkness, but it's done FOR us not BY us. We used to have a guy that did it regularly and he did pretty well at it, but last year he couldn't make it and we had trouble finding anybody who would stick with it. We've got the old guy coming back this year so things should be better. I definitely think it can be a money maker (especially if you have long lines) but you have to sell the right stuff and you definitely have to have reasonable prices. The $10 hot dogs just don't cut it.

Mutant Space Gerbil
08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I like the corn dog idea. We had a concession trailer last year. They tried pulled pork sandwhiches and funnel cakes. The cakes did alright. This year we are running it and not letting the group we are donating to run it because it can be done better. Vendors that deal with me on my day job are donating 100% of the product. Coke, Pepsi, hotdogs, buns, mini bags of chips. So everything will be pure profit for the event. These type companies like to help out with community events even if you are a for profit event because they get their free advertising for donating. All you have to do is submit a request with the appropriate company and ALWAYS stick to local or district level because the higher up you go the less value your event has to them

Jim Warfield
08-29-2008, 01:59 AM
It is basically pretty simple when it comes to some of the food and drink business.
If the night is cold sell hot chocolate and coffee, on a warm night sell cold pop.
Sell those $10.oo hot dogs as souveneers not edidible food, have a nice logo tatooed on them.
Guys might start a fad of carrying them in their pocket and then hear ,"Are you happy to see me , or are you carrying a souveneer hot dog in your pocket?"
When everybody has to have them, quit selling food.