PDA

View Full Version : Dream Reapers Trolls 08

Ken Spriggs
09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh boy here we go......let's see how retarded I am.
We have made some pretty cool costumes this year.....want to post a few of these cheesy costumes...hee hee

so if it works right.....it will be under here

If not....it will look like chinese and you won't see shit but the black cat playing in the dirt at night!!!!

Crush horn....aka sheldon

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=21421380&albumID=2872629&imageID=44510732

me....azzhole

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=21421380&albumID=2872629&imageID=44510784

ghetto boys

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=21421380&albumID=2872629&imageID=44510764

damn it kind of worked....click the links we took a bunch they are posted on Sheldons page....you know the wheelchair guy at MHC that everyone loved!!!!!!
Sooooo you aren't going to see him in a wheelchair anymore.......but you will see an 8 foot tall demon!!!

drfrightner
09-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Those are just FLAT OUT WICKED! Who made them?

Larry

Barry
09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Awesome stuff Ken!

scareshack
09-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Totally Awesome looking!

dr0zombie
09-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Ken,

Those are very nice work!!

Raycliff Manor
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Kel

xxxdirk
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
OMG!!! KEN THOSE ARE FREAKING AMAZING!!! JUST ABSOLUTELY SCHWING!!!!

Ron

Ken Spriggs
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
You know that guy in the wheelchair that made everyone so mad?
Sheldon????

Well he is our top makeup guy.....he is crush horn and I am the one in green
He made the armor and the masks....we have 4 or 5 of them total.
Waiting for the evil to begin!!!!

I think in total we made 22 sock heads for costumes this year.
We are in the process of making our corpses and zombies now......

Someone has to give Ben a run for his money!!!!!!!

Yes Larry....I do work on this stuff

graystone
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
One THOES ARE F*#^ING OFF THE WALL! I LOVE THEM DUDE Way to go!!!!! As far as Sheldon please make sure you don't totally leave his character I love him in the wheel chair! He has always been a favorite of mine.

Also I think Larry might be jumping up and down like a kid in a candy store begging. gimmie....gimmie......gimmie... LMAO Dude good work! You for sure win the bad ass award this year! Shane and its Just Bad As Hell Shane This Time!

Speculo
09-04-2008, 08:02 PM
That totally rocks!

actiondeath
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Makes me wanna go play World of Warcraft. Nice work, guys.

Kevin Dells
09-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Dam Ken! I meen Dam KEN!

Tell Matt incredible work!

And i was impressed the day he did the fractured bone technique !

MDKing
09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Great job on those costumes, They'd work well in my medieval themed show House of the Vampyres....

Allan

Ken Spriggs
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Thank you for the kind words.

We made them ourselves ....

This is the 3rd time I am posting this.......
Somehow i think I am on delete mode.....wonder who i made mad this time...who cares???

Ok BEN you are an insperation to the industry with the cool toys and costumes
Just figured we needed to step it up a little this year.

Larry.....we can make more suits if you really are interested......we can make them for anyone.

Only thing I am going to get tired of?.....look its a band of orcs

jason
09-05-2008, 06:58 PM
great work you guys!

screamline studios
09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
KEN,

I think they look great!!! good for you i always knew you kicked major ass and i am glad more haunt folks now realize it too...

Jason blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com

p.s did i see a piece of screamline history in one of those pics HAHAHA

Killer Katie
09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
They look great guys!! They look just as good (if not better) than the CGI Lord of the rings characters! Sweet as hell!

skully
09-07-2008, 12:04 PM
if those came up to me in the middle of a haunt im pretty sure i would pee myself - they are awesome

Ken Spriggs
01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Well time for a little update.

Due to a few requests.....it looks like we will be having a few of these bad doggies at TW.

I recently found a supplier of armor that we have teamed up with and will be doing a few.................KILLER SUITS

Funny thing?.......everytime I wore my suit this year......I had someone take a swing.
Now for those of you who know me......I am not a small guy.
I have no idea what the idiot was thinking when he swung at me.....but it ended very badly for him. I just walked right through him with a slight shoulder smash to the face.

SomeThingInTheIce
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Very nice, no matter how offen I come to this site I always see some great stuff. Theres a lot of talent out there for sure.

drfrightner
01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
You guys should get a booth at the show and sell those full sized costumes... I'm sure those would be a huge hit!!!!!

What do you think Ken? You guys up for that?

I'd be interested in some I can tell you that!

Larry

MDKing
01-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Ken is bringing some suits to the show Larry....

Allan

Banshee
01-10-2009, 07:29 AM
They look most excellent! 8)

Ken Spriggs
01-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Let your nose find the suits at TW!
We already have a 10X20 booth under ...... SINISTER SCENTS
Hmmm....I am dumb at times....an idea? How can we do smelly costumes???
Now Kevin will really say I stink :)

drfrightner
01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Ken,

This industry needs MORE companies selling costumes not less... so I think from the haunted house owners opinion we'd be happy to see and hear that you are making costumes and selling them at the show. I think all haunts need to buy more costumes.

I can't say anything but I know a couple more companies that are going to sell costumes as well. There will be a lot of people selling costumes at the show this year. This is a NEED area for all haunted houses.

Remember every haunted house anywhere from 30 to 50 to 100 actors so vendors can't make enough costumes, and this industry can support several vendors selling costumes.

No one is going to be hurt by that.

Larry

Ken Spriggs
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
no no Larry.......smells......and costumes?
what would be better than scented costumes and creatures?

theres a new level

kevin calls us the stink guys....it is a joke

drfrightner
01-11-2009, 03:39 AM
So you are saying at Transworld you will be selling costumes? How many different ones will you be selling...any price ranges yet?

I'm interested to hear more!

Larry

Gore Galore
01-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Ken,
Don't worry.
I love you guys.
Just do beautiful work and deliver on time.
If you do that then you will make us proud.
We have alot of new stuff coming to the show to so we can come to each others booths and we can ohhhhhhhh and ahhhhhhhhhhh each other.

Cooperative competition is a good thing. It just forces us to up the bar.

drfrightner
01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I will say the same thing I've been saying for years... THIS INDUSTRY NEEDS MORE COSTUME COMPANIES PERIOD! WE NEED A TON MORE!

First off I don't really see Gore Galore costumes as the type of costumes I'm talking about. You can't really use the ones he's been providing for actors inside the haunt in dark places. GG costumes to me seem more like costumes you'd use outside to entertain people. I think they can be used pretty good outside on a hayride or something but we couldn't use those costumes inside of our haunt because they get snagged on camo net, or the actors can't see that well to move around inside the haunt. I think the costumes GG sells are priceless for outside the haunt, tv promotion, making a tv commercial, a parade, and our guests loved them outside the haunt and we got lots of people wanting photos taken with them. In a nutshell great costumes to have if you are a haunt with extra actors to entertain pepole out in line.

Last year that one company from Vegas that sold the Wolf and stuff...we bought one but never used it. It was great for photo ops but the actors would overheat in those things in like 10 minutes, plus it was very difficult to walk in them. They looked super cool but really hard to wear and use in a practical sense for inside the haunted house.

We did however use that wolf for photo ops, and TV pick up shots, it really paid off for stuff like that.

But you must understand what I'm specifically talking about is this...

WE NEED COSTUMES the actors can acutally WEAR inside the haunt, in the dark, that doesn't make the actors overheat, that isn't dangerous to wear or makes the actors mobility low.

WE NEED THE SAME STYLE costumes we've seen actors wear for Hollywood movies like The Mummy for example or some Zombie movie, stuff like we see Netherworld have their actors wear time and time again.

Spookywood FX costumes from last year is MORE like what I'm talking about... now we need 10 times more of that stuff either from Spookywood FX or other companies. It looks like what Ken is making is something you can wear inside the haunted house. I hope to see Spookywood FX with new costumes, I hope Gore Galore if they stay with the costumes they make smaller ones that actors can use to scare inside the attractions not the ones outside. There are only so many of those to go around...

COUPLE OF TIPS...

1) Do not make the costumes too tall because that limits mobility, and some haunts have height restrictions or low hanging camo net or whatever.

2) Don't put a long of REALLY HOT FUR all over them because then you will overheat the actor and they will be in and out of the costume ever five minutes.

3) Don't make them too heavy so it won't wear down the actor.

4) Skip the stilts and big boots and all that stuff on most costumes so the actors can move faster. I know the boots might come in handy on some costumes like a Frankenstein monster but for the most part I'd rather see a suit you can jump in and out of where the actors can run around like normal.

5) Start with common themes that apply to most haunts like...Zombies, Fresh Dead people, corpses a bride a groom, or a BIG BEN from House, a monster, blah, blah.

Larry

Ken Spriggs
01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Price?
There you got me.

You decide how we price....or let anyone throw the suggestions out.

Would you rather see more variety......or different price levels and ala carte?
Economy level....medium level....and holy hell heres a blank check I don't care what it costs.
Or what???????
We don't want to make cookie cutter costumes.
They may be close, but we aren't wanting to mass produce, therefore keeping quality and making sure we can deliver good product.

To see the quality and wearability you will just have to see them at TW.
We ..... um ... fight in the streets at Dream Reapers with them on.
The horned...Crushorn has the spring stilts that he sometimes uses so you can move pretty well in them and they hold up well.

Nightgore
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I woldn't mind seeing an a'la carte system... like head pieces, masks, chest pieces, arms/legs... etc. etc... all seperate WITH an option to by the whole thing together. That'd be cool! -Tyler

Gore Galore
01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Hey Larry,

You are right.
Our Big costumes are perfect outside.
As a matter of Fact anyone who has our costumes should be using them to get media attention to help bring in more customers by taking them to parades, fairs, sporting events, festivals etc...
Anywhere where lots of people are gathered where you can distribute your haunt literature. You will get so much attention it is amazing and that always gets media attention too.
That is what our big systems are best for.

But Larry,
I also have a little surprise for you.
We might surprise you with some of the other directions we are going for within a haunt too.
But I am not ready to release that info yet.

And Ken,
I really do like what you are doing. And I wish you guys the best of luck.
Don't hesitate to call me if you want.

drfrightner
01-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Kevin,

I'm looking forward to seeing what you and everyone else has. I've been pushing the 'COSTUME AGENDA' on any vendor who will listen. I've been trying to get vendors to make COSTUMES for THREE OR FOUR YEARS... no one would ever listen.

Hopefully now maybe people are ...

Let the battle for costumes begin, start, something! LOL

I do hope people take my advice on the costumes and not make them too tall, to heavy, to hot, and just make them simple to wear and easy to move in!

Larry

Ken Spriggs
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
LARRY DON'T ERASE THIS!!!!

I do hope people take my advice on the costumes and not make them too tall, to heavy, to hot, and just make them simple to wear and easy to move in!

The above statement was made by you ....... today.

Are you smoking crack?

You would have nothing but people running around in diapers!!!

Every costume is too heavy or too hot......do you wear a silicone mask?
Wait let me rephrase that.....have YOU personally worn one?
Everyone seems to love them and buy the hell out of a $500 mask.....but you can kill yourself wearing the damn thing.

I can't promise that ours will be light weight.....cold....and short
But we will try

Speculo
01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Anything costume wise has its own challanges! Thats why casting the right actor and support from costuming and make-up makes all the difference.

Lots of actors who try silicone masks or any masks for that matter cannot handle the claustrophobia, if they don't fit just right, the other half cannot handle the heat. And when you start talking about BIG heavy suits, fur or stilts forget about it!

But when you get the right person in the right suit/mask you have MAGIC!

The costume HAS to be made with the actors comfort in mind and still most actors cannot or will not do it.

We have many masks or costumes that only one or two actors in our cast can wear, it is just hard!

An example is your guy Sheldon, he does the wheel chair and spring stilts? Even if he wasn't a great actor and an FX artist he would be a find!

My point is and always has been -

You cannot just BUY great characters - you have to buy and maintain the suits/masks/makeup AND recruit/train/cast the right actors for the right suits.

It is hard - Thats why haunters like animations! (But they break and.....)

Thanks!

SHELDON
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Here here!

Ken Spriggs
01-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Ben.....thanks now I am going to have an issue getting him to work.
Something about his head not fitting through the shop door!!!

Allen H
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
First Ken,
Great costumes, I look forward to seeing them at Transworld. Second I know exactly what Larry and Ben are talking about. When I train actors I always tell them about the the costume scale. One one side is looking cool, and on the other is being comfortable. The best looking costumes are not comfortable and the most comfortable costumes do not look as cool. Actors are what need to be cultivated, keep them loving their work and happy, that way they are willing to put up with cooler looking and less comfortable costumes.
Another benefit of great actors is that they can make not cool looking costumes into cool characters (Like Tater).
As a haunt owner I get upset When a formerly cool looking costume comes back with bigger eye holes and and "ventilated" for comfort. But the actors will alter anything that gets in their way of doing what they love, the bad actors will just quit.
Its gotten so bad that I do not buy masks anymore, I make all of my own because most sculptors forget that actors need to see and breathe. I make them withe bigger eye holes, breathing holes and ear holes as well as added ventilation.
Larry, I think you are right about what your saying, but Im not sure that haunt owners will buy them, because at the show they wont look as cool. If the costumes are in the dark zone then they stand a chance. Lighting is the key to making these kinds of costumes look good.
When this post first started it made me go back and look at some norwegian trolls that I made for my haunt three years ago. They do not look nearly as good due to the lighting in the pic, but in the haunt lights they looked awesome. I made the masks and custom leather belts and loincloths and bracers as well as airbrushed body suits and separate fur hunchbacks, that easily flap up for cooling. I was very happy with those costumes at the time and still am. I think that is the kind of costume is what larry is talking about Looks good but is comfortable for the performer, and it wont show up altered when the actor turns it in. But at Transworld I do not think they will look cool enough to compete with some of the uber costumes. I spend between $200 and $400 per actor (14 actors) each season on costumes (I change my theme completely each year). At the end of each And thats what it takes for a costume that will last and look good, I do not think that most haunters are willing to pay that.
Sorry for such a long post about this, but this is what I get on a soap box the most about COSTUMES! So you can see what Im talking about I will post a full light pic of the troll costume I was talking about.
I too will be jumping into the costume arena this year, but not at Transworld. I will be making one of a kind costumes. This will keep me from over selling myself as I have learned that I only like to make one of something, I loathe production work. I will be under the moniker Stiltbeast studios but not all of the costumes will be stilts, only about a third of them. I will offer 8 to 12 costumes per show and thats it, when they are they are gone. I will give more details before the debut but I too see a need in the industry.
Ken, great work and I look forward to seeing it at Transworld. A tip for silicone mask users, I pop mine in the freezer for a few hours before I wear it and that makes a huge difference in the time I can be in it. I also make two so I can have one in the freezer and switch them out at breaks.
sorry for the long read,
Allen Hopps

Allen H
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
oops meant to post this, its a link to the gallery of Trolls I spoke of in my post.
http://www.pbase.com/bobfloyd/tot07
The greenish troll in there is a loaner costume of mine thats been around the block, he just showed up on the day of the pictures.
Allen Hopps

Ken Spriggs
01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
You are right about how things look in different lighting, BUT
We are also adding so much to the suits that in broad daylight they should impress also.
At least we hope.
I have always had an issue making things....I see where the flaws are......but most people never see them and like the stuff. Too picky I guess!

SHELDON
01-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Trolls suits are coming together nicely. See you at Transworld. Bring your checkbooks.... you know who you are.

Ken Spriggs
05-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Well we are taking a few trolls to MHC for sale.

We will have 15 nurses or so with different masks to chose from.

If we can get them done we will be bringing a few masks for sale.

We have about 3 or 4 corpse suits to bring....no undersuit....just costume

If anyone wants to order this will be the last show we are doing this year.
Orders will have to be cut off at the end of August......we have a ton of stuff to do on the haunt this year and I know we will be short on time.....so please order early.

Larry? What happened? Never even saw you take a peek while we were at TW....decide to go back to animatronics?