PDA

View Full Version : Ghoul City Dark Ride

Rich Hanf
09-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone...the below links are how I spent several weeks over the summer. It was a blast and I recommend it to all haunters.

Enjoy and have a great season Rich Hanf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRemeaEG6DI&feature=related Pt 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKiLMZ4jA8&feature=related Pt 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpfjND5arF0&feature=related Pt 3

Jordan24
09-05-2008, 08:57 PM
lol. That's great stuff.

Jim Warfield
09-06-2008, 12:26 AM
I just got done here at the Ravens Grin putting two groups through here who were all screamers of the quick and long duration variety.
Rich, I noticed when you scared them on the 3rd video you would lean forward and a chained piece of jewlery or something would swing out at them. Did anyone ever grab it and give you a yank?
I was laughing watching this and imagining how funny it would have been if someone would have recognised you, screamed, "It's Rich Hanf!" (Then screamed again!)
You would not believe the silly, simple-minded things I do here that scare people!
Some of them are very S L O W, and the anticipation builds and builds because I am on my own pacing and time schedule so I can draw it out more, usually hieghtening the response level (and the fun for me!)
I do love experimenting with the timing, the light and the action to effect the best possible reaction.
The fun thing is, most customers realise that I never get tired of seeing and hearing them scream and laugh from these things I do.

drfrightner
09-06-2008, 01:37 AM
I love old dark rides... Rich did you work there all summer? What fun!

Larry

sts
09-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Rich...
After the last 40 days working on the Battle of the Haunts, I am tired and wore down.
After watching you lose your mind in the dark ride, it reminded me why we do this!
The fun of scaring pepole.
Thanks Rich you put some wind in my sails and you made coffie shoot out of my nose.

Chris C
Scream Theme Studios
Battleofthehaunts.com

Rich Hanf
09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Thank You Chris...I remember being told once that everything changes once this becomes a business. How true that is. Every once in a while something comes along that makes you wake up and remember the innocense and purity of our early days of haunting. For me it was Ghoul City...and the fun of scaring people. It was great as there was no risk, no putting everything on the line etc. Maybe it's a dark ride...maybe it's something else...but I certainly recommend to every haunter doing something that keeps or puts them in touch with their more innocent and pure days. All the best Rich Hanf

Raycliff Manor
09-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Rich,

Without intending to do so, you gave me a really good reality check! Thanks for always keeping it real my friend! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the videos and the riders reactions!

Kel

Tattoo
09-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks Rich, those reactions were PRICELESS!

And by the way, thanks for the permanent scars from your text message yesterday...........eeewwwwwww!

Take care my friend,

Tattoo

Dusti
09-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow. That's quite something.

Sure brings back lots of boardwalk haunt memories!

s.fc90
09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
that fair is right by my house. and i also went this year! damn i shoulda. i love those dark rides. they always have potential (like the one down in seaside too) but no one really makes them into anything. shame. o well, u did a great job.

Tom
09-09-2008, 05:34 AM
they always have potential but no one really makes them into anything. shame. o well, u did a great job.

Excuse me???
Come visit the "Dungeon Haunted Ride in 3D" if you want to see a dark ride that was made into something.

Matt Marich
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Rich, Shame on you scaring little kiddies, he,he,he,he. It sure looks like they still lack any real scares or decor elements. About 25 years ago we had a Dark Ride at our State Fair with water and you traveled in a boat. This thing was fully loaded with pneumatics, still one of the best Carny rides I've seen.

bodybagging
09-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Good Stuff Rich.

Rich Hanf
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
There were two down at Seaside if I recall. The one on the main pier vwas called Nightmare Manor and was a pretty bad dark ride...as is usual. Then, several years ago I think the name changed and Larry got the job of changing it around. He brought in Kevin McCurdy to do the job. I remember riding through it and recognizing Kevins work immediately. It's funny how you can recognize haunters styles.
The second Haunt was on Funtown pier up til last year. It was Stan Ambros Haunted Manor. Hauntworld actually did a feature story on this haunt several years ago. Stan pulled his Haunted Manor off the pier last year and put it up in North Jersey at Heaven Hill Farm...a place I get started in the haunted biz way back in 1992 with Nightmare Hayride.

Cheers Rich Hanf

damon carson
09-10-2008, 01:36 PM
That was great! Very funny! Reminded me of one of the old J.B. Corn videos where it shows the old cave looking man jumping out over and over again from about 12 different camera angles saying "Gotcha!" LOL! Its not really funny the first time but when you see it over and over again it starts to get hilarious!
Damon

Jim Warfield
09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
If someone put together a REALLY GOOD dark ride, how many years would it have to operate before it could overcome the bad reputation from all the rest of them?
(And would anyone have enough money to keep it going until this happened?)
The old "Guilt By Association" thing again at work, maybe.

Greg Chrise
09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I think Dark rides as a kid is why I somehow got into haunted house things. As a small but unigue child I knew I could do better than that. Yet, the video shows people do indeed still go through one. A right of passage?

I'm pleased to know the current ticket offering is $4. One of those know it all guys says in a speach that dark rides lost popularity because everyone could buy a car and drive all over the country in the 50's. That prior to that there was also the thrill of riding in something that was unique experience and now it is just for kids that can't drive? Or apparently aren't allowed to ride in the car?

Those that have never been on a ride like that don't know that they suck to some degree by modern standards. There is still lots of craziness to the front facades and twists and turns. So many places where there is a technological time warp to 20 years ago or more.

The other fans of dark rides and amusements say they all get knocked out as a developer offers billions of dollars for the property they are on. Somehow a mall is worth more or condos will have a bigger pay off per square footage?

Someday they will get this electric car technology down and it will be hip again to have a ride through. It's just putting in all the combinations of sized scenes and smaller spaces and actors and detail.

Tom
09-11-2008, 05:30 AM
If someone put together a REALLY GOOD dark ride, how many years would it have to operate before it could overcome the bad reputation from all the rest of them?
(And would anyone have enough money to keep it going until this happened?)
The old "Guilt By Association" thing again at work, maybe.

Someone did Jim, and it took me about 1 season.
I've had repeat costumers who've ejoyed it since the first year. I've also had an increase in ticket sales each year. (It must be REALLY GOOD)
And the money flow is just fine :)

Jim Warfield
09-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Wonderfull Tom!
Good work doesnot always get rewarded as it should.
The reason I posed this question is because even though I began my house and never looked back, I still had to spend alot of time pleading with tourists circling the parking lot to just give my place a chance.
The biggest reason most people did not want to come in (involving the house or haunting, not just time considerations) was fear of the chainsaw potential.
Too many people with bad experiences of being scared too much by a man chasing them with a chainsaw.
This makes me wonder just how many customers and potential customers have been sacrificed (Read "Money LOST!") from this one item?
I see my business as something people want to do again, thereby keeping my bills paid. But then I'm just sort of simple this way.

Tom
09-11-2008, 09:07 AM
The reason I posed this question is because even though I began my house and never looked back, I still had to spend alot of time pleading with tourists circling the parking lot to just give my place a chance.
The biggest reason most people did not want to come in (involving the house or haunting, not just time considerations) was fear of the chainsaw potential.
Too many people with bad experiences of being scared too much by a man chasing them with a chainsaw.
This makes me wonder just how many customers and potential customers have been sacrificed (Read "Money LOST!") from this one item?
I see my business as something people want to do again, thereby keeping my bills paid. But then I'm just sort of simple this way.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I have no chainsaw as well but many assume every haunt has one, leaving them the fear to not go in. I have no bloody, gutty scenes either. I try to set the mood for the whole family in mind but it is beefed up a little more during the Halloween season.

I too spend lots of time explaining the haunt to many that have had bad experiences in the past.

shawnc
09-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Tom

That's a reall cool setup. I've never seen a dark ride with so much open space. Probably helps change the experience for many people who have always known they were just going through a 45 foot semi trailer.

What do you make the cars look like for Christmas?

Tom
09-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Tom

That's a reall cool setup. I've never seen a dark ride with so much open space. Probably helps change the experience for many people who have always known they were just going through a 45 foot semi trailer.

What do you make the cars look like for Christmas?

Thanks for the kind words Shawn,

As for the cars, they kinda have that "little red sleigh" look and haven't really done anything different with them. They blend into the Christmas scene/facade quite well. I've thought about lining them with garland or putting deer horns on them but then I take the chance of kids ripping the stuff off. So I leave them as they are.