PDA

View Full Version : Another Tradeshow Emerges... click here to learn more

drfrightner
09-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Yes yet ANOTHER haunted house tradeshow has emerged this time in England...

You've heard of HAUNTCON now get a load of SCARECON

www.scarecon.co.uk (http://www.scarecon.co.uk)

What do you think?

Larry

Kevin Dells
09-06-2008, 08:01 AM
It's across seas they probably needed something closer to them, and if it supports haunters i say"Hell Yeah""

"Would you care for some crumpets with those bodyparts ?"

Jordan24
09-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Whatever, it's not like it's going to be in competition to anything over here.

Especially since it's taking place in late September. Whats up with that?

xxxdirk
09-06-2008, 08:31 AM
1.00 p.m. Registration and coffee.
1.30 p.m. Guest presentations and forum discussions.
3.30 p.m. Props showcase over coffee.
4.30 p.m. Haunted Attractions trade association discussion.
5.30 p.m. Formal events close.

3:30PM Showcase over coffee, should that not be over Tea and Crumpets? LOL! Actually I me a few haunters from England this past tradeshow season, and they had told me there are not a lot of haunts over there. Good for them, must be exciting and scary to be a pioneer....

Haunted Attractions Uk
09-20-2008, 05:03 PM
What ho! Just one of us jolly old Englishmen replying! Been out all day scrumping apples and dancing round maypoles!

Seriously though - thought the crumpets joke was VERY funny - and YES - I had crumpets for breakfast this morning!

Anyway, nice to see that a few of you are interested in us over here and what we are up to. I am part of the team behind ScareCon and through our attractions and review site (www.hauntedattractions.co.uk) we have pulled together this event

I know a few of of you are questioning the timing but for this year it is not a "buying" event. It is pure education and information sharing event and as such we have EVERY major (and minor haunt) in the UK attending. For a small country -that's a hell of a lot of haunts, and over the last few years, we Brits have come up with some amazing ideas and concepts (just browse our site for more details)

Next year is where the fun begins and if any suppliers want to tap into a new and exciting market then look out for the official announcement of ScareCon 09. In the mean time, after next weeks event we will update www.scarecon.co.uk with news and pictures so you can see how it all went.

If anyone has any questions about the UK industry please feel free to contact me directly!

Michael
www.hauntedattractions.co.uk

John Coen
09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I wish them lots of SCARES and few CONs. Here in the states there are way too many CONs.

Gore Galore
09-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Good Luck with your event.
We have lots of customers in the UK.
Great customers who love the business doing everything they can to create a whole new entertainment industry over there. Tulley's Farm for one.

And by the way. I regularly have tea and crumpets in the morning. What most people don't realize is over here they are called "English muffins". hahaha

KroneDaddy
09-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Good Luck to our brother and sister haunters in the UK, by the way, who is the dealer over there that sells all those funny teeth?

;^P

just a bit of a giggle mates.

Timmy
KroneDaddy

MDKing
09-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Very funny low blow Timmy!

Seriously, best of luck to you guys there Michael. With such an amazing wealth of History over there and atmosphere I'm sure there is huge potential.

Allan

Haunted Illinois
09-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Sounds great to me! I am in full support of each and every gathering that promotes the Haunted Attraction Industry. Best of luck to you!

Whatever, it's not like it's going to be in competition to anything over here.
Especially since it's taking place in late September. Whats up with that?
Wow, Jordan. Why do you feel the need to be rude about this? A group of Haunt owners are getting together to share ideas. Whatís wrong with that? This gathering is all about promoting the Haunted Attraction Industry and nothing more. Itís not like everything is a competition. This event can only help the Industry.

Jonathan
09-22-2008, 03:43 AM
Good luck with the event. We have had many Haunters from the UK on the show.

I think it is long overdue you get a Con going.

Haunt On - if you want contact me and we can get you on RFR to discuss how it went.

Haunted Attractions Uk
09-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the kind words. But what is it with you Americans and our teeth?

First there was Austin Powers and then Family Guy always seems to rag on us (still find it hilarious when the Drunken Clam was rethemed into an English bar and after Peter goes in and speaks to one of the English guys he spouts out "Holy Crap they turned it into a gay bar!")

ScareCon has over 60 attendees, representing EVERY major haunt in the UK from the big corporates through to local farms.

I have spoken to many US manufacturers who are interested in our market and have had some very welcome support in the form of brochures, sample props etc

Once it's all over we will post more details on our site and let you all know here

Toodle Pip!

Michael

Grimley
09-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Lord Grimley and his Goons wish you good luck Michael and I hope everything goes well.

KroneDaddy
09-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Just kiddin about the teeth Michael.

Cheers

Timmy
KroneDaddy

Haunted Attractions Uk
09-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey no problem Krone - I find it really funny!

Well I'm pleased to say that ScareCon was a massive success. A full room, an attentive audience and positive feedback all round. Discussions and networking went on well past 2 am this morning for about 30 of us so yes we all have very sore heads today

Will do a full update tomorrow but US Suppliers be warned. The Brits want to see your stuff over here - a LOT more, and ScareCon 09 will be the place to show it!

Michael
www.scarecon.co.uk

drfrightner
09-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Post some pics... glad to hear it was a success!

Larry

brad
09-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah man. Post some pics if you can.

I'd like to see how it all went too.

Congrats on your success, and I wish ya'll good luck for next year.

Phoenix
09-26-2008, 02:17 AM
I distribute SkullTroniX here in Europe and firstly Ive got to thank Michael and the guys at Haunted Attractions for giving me the opportunity to steal their show :).

Here is a heads up for traders who may have an interest in what has to be the worlds fastest growing Halloween market, despite it being a week away from opening day for many attractions (many are actually 365 day operations too) and despite me being forced to tell everyone that there is absolutely no way we could supply anything for this year, Im still getting plenty of enquiries FOR THIS YEAR!!!!

The thought that occurs to me is that there may be value in doing a seminar or article somewhere aimed at US vendors regarding trading in Europe, a lot of people I spoke to yesterday have had some pretty bad experiences with US suppliers, and indeed over the years I've had some pretty shabby responses from certain US vendors.

The thing is there are pitfalls beyond the way we spell colour, as ScareCON found out, things like customs can be a royal pain in the arse, then there are technical issues like Europe's ZERO lead in electronics policy, our different voltages, the wisdom in using metric fasteners, and not to forget.... do we really want to send an engineer halfway round the world to fix our HorrorFactory monster animatronic winged harbinger of doom that has just stopped working.

It can be something of a minefield and as I've already said these issues can and have turned whats a relatively simple sale and installation in the US into a huge disappointment here in the UK (and rest of Europe)

Haunted Attractions Uk
09-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Bryan has a very good point here. Many of the attendees had horror stories about bad service from the US or items getting delayed or lost in transit

Its something that we would like to address as part of a UK based association and to promote awareness of the problem. And this is not a slight on the existing US based associations but consensus of opinion is that the issues in regards to health and safety, working conditions, insurance etc etc are WIDELY different between markets

We would therefore want to work closely with you guys to improve things and get the working relationship between us all running as smoothly and efficiently as possible

Am out at a wedding all day today but we aim to get the ScareCon site updated with pics and news over the weekend

Thanks again for all the interest!

Michael

And Ps - yes Skulltronix DID steal the show. Despite the many brochures and on screen adverts we ran for other companies, everyone loved being able to see/interact with and most of all talk to an expert about the product

Jim Warfield
09-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Sounds like the guy who invented "BOO! " wasn't there!
Massive egos ruin good communicating especially when all those guys show up, you know, those 25 guys who all invented "BOO!", although some have changed their invention to the polka-dottted room now.
Tell us all one more time, how many years ago did you do this?
"15 years ago!"
"I've been doing that for 20 years!"
"I got you all beat, I've been doing that for 27 years now!"
"Well my greatgrandpa was doing that 150 years ago, here Grandad, you tellem! You have to put your ear right up to the jar of ashes to hear him, listen real close now,...... see?"

Haunted Attractions Uk
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Guys

We loaded a write up and some pictures onto the ScareCon site (www.scarecon.co.uk)

We were more of a talky event this year but all customer surveys have said they want to see more props and things to buy next year!

We are working on the 09 dates at the moment but we are looking at Spring to ensure any orders are achievable before Halloween

In the mean time - I hope to keep you guys updated of everything we are doing over here so you get to see just how much stuff there is in Europe and how we are crying out for good suppliers!

Michael