PDA

View Full Version : My update, just fricking baked!!

xxxdirk
09-06-2008, 03:27 PM
God am I getting old or what? Yesterday was packing day at the haunt. We can not move into our location til Tuesday so I rented one of those 40' pod things that they drop off, you load and they come and move it where you want it. We moved about 175 walls into the move container, and of those 175, another guy I did about 50 by ourselves of those before reinforcements came. We also loaded some props and a few odds and ends into that too. So after moving all the walls yesterday, I thought, Saturday is gonna be a day of rest. Then today, I wake up at 7:30 and decide I should mow my lawn cause lord knows when I am gonna do that again? As I am riding I look at or "front hedge" which normally I trim but this year I did not and now these bushes are 6-8' high. hmmm So I run over to a rental place and rent a chain saw. Now chain saws are sposed to be light, right? I mean we use em all the time at the haunt, but have you ever tried holding a chainsaw at shoulder height as you cut through a big ass shrub let aloone about 35 shrubs???!!!! After I get all the shrubs cut I decide that seeing how I have the saw for 4 hrs I would also trim a few dead trees around my yard.

Now my arms are more tired than they have been in a LONG time, I am hurting more than back in my martial arts days. We used to do work on the heavy bags and do 5-3-1's. What are those? Well, you punch and kick a bag for 5 straight minuets, take about a 5 minute break, punch and kick again for three, take a 3 minute break and then do it for one minute. Then you take a 10 minute and do it all over again and do it again and again all the while a crazy Korean Master is yelling at you ":faster harder faster!!!!!!!!!" Then we would do about 30 squat jumps. This is where you start squating on the ground, hands behind your back and then the crazy Korean would yell and you jump up in the air as high as you can. After 3 you think you are gonna die. After ten your mind is screaming in pain, by 20 you wanna die and when he yells thirty, you got about a 2 minute break before more 531's!! Yeah, I am way more tired than that!!!! I am an entertainer!! I am not used to this much physical work. For Gods sake I make fricking balloon animals and walk around on stage making people do crazy skits after I hypnotize em!! What kind of a crazy hobby am I into??????LOL

So anyway, I am hoping I can relax Sunday, maybe watch the MNF game with the Packers, and have a VERY smooth build starting Tuesday.....Will post em when I can, If I can lift my camera.....lol

Jim Warfield
09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Now that your arms are all limbered up, you can pat yourself on the back and say,"Keep at it Dirk, you know most elderly men near your age are already dead.
Looking good for 85 years -young! Keep it up!

shawnc
09-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds like you are having a busy weekend, and it's just getting started! But think about all you got done.

Your post helps demonstrate the point I have tried to make before about certain actor stunts/effects. Sure, you may be able to jump/slide/pop out of something for great effect a few times. But can you do that all night long for a couple of weeks?

Unless you are 18 and in great shape, few people have the strength and endurance for much sustained physical exertion these days. The movies aren't real life, as Dirk has demonstrated.

Greg Chrise
09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
My one young black helper is wandering around on the job listening to rap music and singing, What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. He says Kanya West is SO creative. You mean because he saw the Conan the Barbarian movie and put it in a song he's a genius? What's Conan the Barbarian?

This 531 thing sounds to me just like our day job working on pool decks. A few years ago an 80 year old woman was our customer and for excersize she walks around her pool 50 times and that is one mile. It is indeed a small one but measured 100 lineal feet. While we had already done OUR more than 50 trips around the pool and went to lunch she folded up all of our texture drop cloths that usually take two people as they have about 75 pounds of texture already on them and we use the same ones repeatedly so they don't blow away.

These days to make ends meat the pool decks are 2 to 3 times that size. Getting up and down and walking a few miles every day bringing in hundreds of things and getting down on the deck has literally killed a few people. Add 105 degree temperatures and wala, your brain is screaming. It has taken months for me to develop two popped out arms which I feel are close to being considered detatchable. When someone askes how I am I either respond that I'm not sure yet or It feels like I justy flew in from Las vegas. The past two days have diminished my brain capacity down to only 8% usable as the wind wasn't going the right way clear coating 3600sf.

I'm afraid any Korean guy would have to be left off somewhere. I have my own yelling in my own head. But, now I'm thinking future employees might have to be at least a brown belt? At least some kind of belt so their pants don't fall down or look too hip while they are singing along with the rap music?

Over the years, my chiropractor bills are totally scalable to how big someone's haunt was and wether they were double sided or single sided walls. You could do a power point presentation of here is the spike in the bills as I got and increased the size of my own haunt.

So, now if I could find that special someone that will take my arms off, slide on a new shirt and put my arms back on things would be looking up. Things are already mostly looking up as I keep falling down.

xxxdirk
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Ya know, I am very proud of myself and know in the back of my mind that we are so much further ahead than other years and then I see pics of Larry haunt and some of the others and I just wanna scream!!
Oh yes, young grasshopper, the great wall was not built in 1 day. Patience....

FearSeeker
09-06-2008, 09:14 PM
You're showing your age when you start quoting from Kung Fu, Grasshopper. LOL

Keep up the good work! It's really paying off!!!

Greg Chrise
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
You can not leave the haunt, until you can walk the toilet paper with out leaving a foot print.

xxxdirk
09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Greg, you made me laugh out loud, however it should read, You can not leave the haunt until you can walk on toilet paper from the portapottie without leaving a wrinkle....