PDA

View Full Version : Visit to the Darkness

damon carson
09-14-2008, 11:32 PM
We made a trip to St. Louis to checkout the Darkness Saturday night. We had a pretty good time. The detail and sets were all pretty top notch. The only complaint and Im not really complaining it was just more disappointing was alot of the animations and some cgi wasnt working. But Jim told us of the problem before we went through so that was cool. I was hoping to see what the swamp house did but nothing really did. Some of the pics online looked different in the swamp house. I dont remember seeing the large werewolves. Unless those are costumes and that wasnt in there. We got to go through twice so that was fun as well. Opening weekend so I understand you got to get all the bugs out. There were a few actors that were really on top of there game. Some really good scarers! The young lady in the nursery really fooled us we thought she was a prop and I actually touched her. And then she moved. That was a surprise! LOL! Thanks for showing us a good time! I got to talk and meet Patty she was very friendly and helpful. We had a great night checking everything out at the new Darkness.
Damon

Nightgore
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Awesome stuff! I'll be making my way out there soon... I'm very excited! -Tyler

drfrightner
09-15-2008, 04:25 AM
Damon,

What CGI and what ANIMATIONS wasn't working?

It was my understanding all of them where working so I'd like to know from you which ones where not working. Also a lot of time and effort went into trying to open Creepyworld with inspections the day of opening so some things did get overlooked at the Darkness but I was under the impression they still got them all working. So I would be interested to know which ones where not working.

Did you come on Friday or Saturday? If you came on Friday I know the swamp house wasn't working because had to get yet another air compressor to run it and it was supposed to be hooked up for Saturday.

Yeah a lot of bugs that is for sure!

Larry

Jim Warfield
09-15-2008, 04:31 AM
"Someday, right over there, I'm going to have this big...."
Yes, you are getting a "Someday", behind-the-scenes tour", not everyone gets one of these, so be gratefull for this opportunity.
I did these for years. (as I worked night & day) here it is 4:39 am, I'm just waiting for my wife to wake up so I can start working again, since we do live in the "Haunted House". No, the realistic-looking "Sleeping Wife" display will not be a part of your tour!
(Her guard dog wouldn't allow it!)

kpolley
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Larry,

The same CGI's that you know about weren't working and your new compressor runs so hot it melted holes in our air lines so we couldn't use it. The air was bad all night. We have a plan to fix it for next weekend. Don't worry.

damon carson
09-15-2008, 07:06 PM
OOPPS! Didnt mean to open a can of worms. But if you want to know the one round gallery room where all the cgi portraits where there were cgi here and there that wasnt working. And the one in the que line. And thats all that I remember. And we came down on Saturday night. The swamp house is what I really wanted to see. Usually you let us all go through and I really appreciate that over all the years. But this year only I got to go for free and my 4 other people in my group we paid for. Plus with the long drive it was disappointing not to see animations going and espessicially the swamp house. Oh and the Slayer, Large Troll, and the Scarefactory tombstone all in the que line area were'nt working either. Not trying to get anyone in trouble hopefully. I would like to see it all when its all fixed. It was still alot of fun. And the place looked great! Damon

dr0zombie
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I was down Saturday as well. Not my best makeup work but I got 8 or 10 done in about 1:30 with no clue as to what the event was like. I hit the makeup room and then two hours later actually got to see the event... :)

As for the props I was through several times checking to see if I had even got a clue with the actors and I didn't notice anything not working. Everything in the queue line room was not running, but I figured that was just it being the first weekend. The CGI portraits were working when I went through, as were the ghosts. CGI wise I was impressed with the flame eyeball things on the walls in the library. I really have no idea what the show looks like when it runs since this was my first time seeing it in operation. Maybe I didn't know what I missed in the swamp house or the other items I should have been looking for? It sounds like there was something cool in the swamp house I wanted to see....

... and the sets a very nice. Some very impressive scenes in there.....

Jim Warfield
09-16-2008, 02:56 AM
The cure for those non-working things. A haunted graveyard!
Look, nothing is working.
It's a graveyard, they are all dead!
Oh?
Then those darn Zombies wake up and spoil it all!
(And they don't work too well, they are zombies! By nature limping, gimping around.)

damon carson
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I guess the werewolves in the swamphouse are Scarefactory animations. No wonder I didnt see them they werent working. Duh! See what one year of not making it to Transworld will do. Make you sound like an idiot! LOL! I was thinking they were costumes from the pics Larry had posted. But I saw the new Darkness commercial on scarefest.com and saw they were animations. Really kickass ones!
I've got to go back and see those again! And Im definately not missing Transworld this year.
Damon

damon carson
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I stand corrected. Those arent Scarefactory werewolves in the swamp house?! Who makes these they are awesome! Like I said I should have made it to Transworld last year!!!
Damon