PDA

View Full Version : Fuming Mad!

Haunting Copy
09-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Hey, All

We got another Halloween Hater to deal with. Seems the Harlem School District
has determined Halloween costume parties "dangerous."

Here's the article I read: http://www.rrstar.com/communities/x810459448/Costumes-banned-for-Harlem-school-Halloween-parties

You might already be able to see my comments below the Halloween-Haters cheerleader.

For so many, many reasons this pisses me off.

When I was a kid, growing up in Northern Colorado (Greeley, to be exact),
Halloween costume parties were the absolute most exciting time of the
year for me - and many others, too!

Unless someone tells me differently, I have no noticeable scars from the
sweets, puzzles, and games I enjoyed.

Hell, even the ELEMENTARY SCHOOL operated a haunted house!!

Then I moved to the - ta dah - South. :(

Party over, as they say.

All the religious nuts in the South had put the kabash on Halloween
long before I got there. Check this out: in schools (any of them!),
we were not allowed to even ACKNOWLEDGE Halloween.

Teachers had to disguise their seasonal fun as learning lessons,
so now the South is inundated with experts on bats and pumpkins.

If we so much as dared to wear orange and black, we had to be VERY
careful, for we would be scrutinized by the God Police.

CUSS WORDS, CUSS WORDS, CUSS WORDS!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!:mad:

Sarah, and that's madder 'n hell Sarah this time!

Haunting Copy
09-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Oh yeah, and ya know what else pisses me off about this?

Guys and gals, the young people at those schools ARE OUR HAUNTERS OF THE FUTURE!!

(Or at the least, our patrons of the future!)

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

Jim Warfield
09-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Maybe "God Police" is too strong, how about "The God Squad"?
Tim Booth of "James" has a line in a song something like:"My god is bigger than your God!"
The bottom line should be, are those people happy?
Can they be happy when not coming down on the rest of us like a biblical plague?
Many local god-squaders around here are simply desperately substituting "god" for a chemical additiction problem, and they slide back and forth from radically preaching butt-painers to a miserable helpless bum every couple of months or years.
"To thyne own self be true."
"Who are you? Who-who, who, who?
The Old Testament fuels their damnation aggressiveness, then they ignore the New Testament forgiveness and Christ-like possibiltys.
Some people just like being aggressive with or without any book to base it upon.
Hiding behind religion to be a nasty person has always really got me.
Can you say, "Hypocrite?"

kpolley
09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I read that entire article and I really don't see how you are blaming this on Christians. It has nothing to do with Christians. Some Christians might not like Halloween, but plenty do. I bet if you polled this forum you'd be shocked to find out how many of us are Christians. I am. Look at what I do for a living. You are painting with too broad a stroke and in this case you are just grasping at straws. I'd bet that this school doesn't have Christmas parties either and I'd bet it wasn't the "God Police" that did that.

The fact is, Halloween is fun and all that and it sucks for the kids that want to dress up but this isn't going to kill the Holiday. They banned prayer in school and prayer still exists. So will Halloween.

My point is, don't go blaming Christians for the fact that your school has stupid policies. And, for the record, I don't think I would call extreme up-state Illinois the south. You're practically in Wisconsin.

Haunted Illinois
09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I’m all for keeping people safe, but isn’t this going a little overboard? Do we really need to make all of these rules to ban completely harmless activities, just because some paranoid alarmist thinks there is a remote chance that something bad may happen?

It is this very mindset that causes cities to have their official trick-or-treating hours during daylight hours, while others have trick-or-treating at the local mall and some want to ban the activity altogether.

I really feel sorry for kids these days. Between towns banning trick-or-treating and not allowing costumes at Halloween Parties.. I mean “Fall Parties”, the fun is being completely sucked out of Halloween. Thank goodness they still have haunted houses to go to!

Whatever happened to the days when people could use sound judgement and common sense to handle this situations, instead of creating ridiculous rules that just ruin things for everyone? Speaking of common sense.. http://infohost.nmt.edu/~armiller/commonsen.htm

Haunting Copy
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I read that entire article and I really don't see how you are blaming this on Christians. It has nothing to do with Christians. Some Christians might not like Halloween, but plenty do. I bet if you polled this forum you'd be shocked to find out how many of us are Christians. I am. Look at what I do for a living. You are painting with too broad a stroke and in this case you are just grasping at straws.

Can you show me where I said I blamed it on "Christians," please?

I said "religious nuts." Are *you* a religious nut? No? Then I suppose I
wasn't talking about YOU or other moderate Christians.

The people I'm referring to are the fundamentalists who believe Halloween
to be "evil." They're the same ones who want Harry Potter books out of
public school libraries.

The fact is, Halloween is fun and all that and it sucks for the kids that want to dress up but this isn't going to kill the Holiday.

Nope, it won't kill the holiday. But I don't remember that being one of the
points I was making.

They banned prayer in school and prayer still exists.

Yes, they banned prayer. And in the SOUTH, where I have lived for 31
years of my life, school-sponsored prayer is not only condoned,
but REQUIRED.

The folks demanding prayer from the students are the same ones who
are demanding Halloween not be recognized.

My point is, don't go blaming Christians for the fact that your school has stupid policies.

Let me gently reiterate for those who were unable to catch on:
*Christians*, per se, are not the problem. Radicalism, extremism is the
problem.

And, for the record, I don't think I would call extreme up-state Illinois the south. You're practically in Wisconsin.

This statement explains a lot. Thank you.

Sarah, who was born in and now lives in South and Central TEXAS,
which is smack dab in the Bible Belt.

Jim Warfield
09-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Jim Warfield lives in Mount Carroll, Illinois which is located in northwestern Illinois, "almost Wisconsin!".
I never hinted that I had anything to do with "the south"??
I have lived here all but maybe a year of my 59 and that was when I think I was being held as a sexual prisoner on the planet of Z*r$++!
They do good brainwashing, love that spin cycle!

Haunting Copy
09-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Good to see you!

Sarah

virgil
09-25-2008, 07:09 AM
As a Christian Haunter who composes shpooky music AND teaches
music/ band K-12 I'm truly saddened.

In the article regarding Halloween costume parties it says, and I quote, “It’s unsafe because students are
wearing costumes and you don’t know who it is, and who should or shouldn’t be in the buildings,” Morris said.

There's your reason. Student safety is at the top of the list with these officials.

I hate it too but this is what I deal with every single day of the work week.

This is post-Columbine world we live in and we do a lot of things differently
nowadays that are no fun for anyone. Those things are done in the hopes that
kids will be safe.

Political correctness has a hand in this as well I'm afraid.

Let's not even touch on the fact that we live in a sue-happy society and, God forbid, a child get injured at a
school sponsored Halloween party! Can you say "lawyer up"??

No easy answer here....

MDKing
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I myself am a devout Roman Catholic, I was even an alter boy for years as a kid. I talk to people about how Halloween pre-dates Christianity, and that this is a mainstream "Holiday" celebrated by everyone now. It's funny that some of the haters who are critical and act "holier than thou" used to be junkies, abusers, anything but Holy but now that they have seen the light they forget their past and go head hunting for anything they percieve as evil, even though it pales in comparison to what they themselves have done....Sweep in front of your own porch before you go sweep someone else's.

Allan

Jim Warfield
09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Walks in and begins shooting, people know who they are, usually, so hiding in a costume really doesn't matter, they walk in as a familair face, the student, the bus driver, the janitor....
In a perfect world there would be enough funding to give every ten students a teacher who would really "know" those ten kids and problems would decrease and education would flourish.
Shimer College did this right here in Mount Carroll, Ill. for many years .

virgil
09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Amen, Jim.

I wish it were so.

I teach at two schools and see almost 500 students
in 32 class periods in the run of a work week.

It is almost impossible to really know them all but I do
my best.

What I do is make sure they know me and that I care.

Haunting Copy
09-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Virgil, thank you so much for your input. It's good to have an "in the trenches" opinion.

Yeah, I know about the issue of "dangers" and all that; it just seems like they could have instituted some rules, like disallowing anything being worn on the head, including makeup, and things like that.

The photos of the parents showed them wearing no costuming or makeup of any sort. If there were some doing so, all the school had to do was say "stop."

In the follow-up article to that story, what came out was that some admin person made each teacher come up with a safety mechanism - whether it was needed or not.

I have two girls in public schools. I'd rather they live in a free (and yes, riskier) America than a police state. But that's me. I'm one of those who likes the saying "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Guess I'm weird that way.

Also, I only have a problem with discontinuing Halloween celebrations when there are other celebrations that are allowed to continue. Halloween is largely considered secular. But those who consider it holy are the same ones the fundamentalists detest: Wiccans.

I'm simply alert to the hypocrisy, that's all. It makes me sad and angry. :(

Haunting Copy
09-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Allan, yes, you're right about Halloween history. It only "changed" to an "evil" thing when certain parties wanted political power. They actually changed perceptions so successfully that now many Christians believe that Halloween is "anti-bible," for lack of a better word.

Sarah

Haunting Copy
09-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Amen, Jim.

I wish it were so.

I teach at two schools and see almost 500 students
in 32 class periods in the run of a work week.

It is almost impossible to really know them all but I do
my best.

What I do is make sure they know me and that I care.

And thank you for that, Virgil. :)

Sarah

FearSeeker
09-29-2008, 07:25 AM
When I was growing up, we did get to dress up for Halloween parties at school, even during the school day. In first grade, my mother dressed me up and sent me off to school. She did such a great job that nobody, including the teachers or principal, could figure out who I was.

I was a very shy quiet kid who hated attention so I wouldn't say anything. The reason they couldn't tell who I was is that I was very blonde, and my mother had put a black wig and big bushy black eyebrows on me, and that just threw everybody off. It was actually very funny. They finally gave up trying to figure it out and just called roll so that they would know who I was. LOL

Now why can't we go back to harmless days like that? What first graders carry around weapons? Not too many that I know.

Jim Warfield
09-29-2008, 07:46 AM
I wonder if some of those radical thinking government types ever realised they were training Halloween costumed kids to be spies and behind the lines operatives?
Then they lost these valuable training exercises!
"Threw the" baby" out with the bathwater!"

virgil
09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
You're very welcomed!

Personally, I'm drafting two of my "kids"
later next month to help hand out holiday
treats....
dressed up in Creature Reachers from
The Frighteners!! :)

Keep the faith!! ;)

Jim Warfield
09-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Virgil is reaching out to his kids, with reachers!

Haunting Copy
09-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey, Jim, that was pretty good, LMAO!! :)

Virgil, have your kids passed that age where they still can't decide
whether to trick-or-treat?

My girls are 11 and 14. My 14yo is very small in stature, so she can easily
get away with trick-or-treating, but she can't decide what she wants, LOL.

Sarah

Greg Chrise
09-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Maybe at older ages there is an economics lesson in Halloween. A financial mission standing at the candy isle in the grocery store. Look at how much this stuff costs kids. You need to get out in the streets and bring in the bucks!

You don't have to eat it all in one night, it will last for weeks and that's all you get to eat over the winter!

virgil
10-01-2008, 06:16 AM
My son is 16 and works the haunt with me.

We're taking this year off to visit haunts instead.

As fate would have it, I recently ran into a Halloween roadblock at school.

Long story. Suffice it to say my ulcer has the better of me this morning! :P

Haunting Copy
10-01-2008, 08:09 AM
My son is 16 and works the haunt with me.

We're taking this year off to visit haunts instead.

As fate would have it, I recently ran into a Halloween roadblock at school.

Long story. Suffice it to say my ulcer has the better of me this morning! :P

Someone needs to put one of those conical hats on my head and make me sit in the corner, because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Did you mean the school where you teach is doing the No-Halloween Disco?

:confused:

virgil
10-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Not in as many words but there was a suggestion to
be "sensitive" with the subject. Some parents complained.

That said, every room has Halloween decor and we have
a bucky dressed as a witch at the front door.

I'll be adding a sound player to the old girl next week
for effect! :)