PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Users...WHY???

drfrightner
09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Why do we delete so many people who attempt to join this board? Several reasons... one I have to GUESS who is real and who isn't. I use to have the board on AUTO sign up, and we got tons of spammers didn't we. So I had no choice but to change the board so I have to approve them.

I typically erase all users with hotmail or gmail accounts because those emails have the most spammers, I erase users with weird user names, and well people who have the same IP address. Take for example somebody who posted today, who complained that I erased 30 people yesterday, yes because every single one had the same IP address so they all got deleted. Then as it turns out the person doing the complaining shared that IP.

Someone was trying to have multiple accounts. Look I just have to guess at this so if someone doesn't make it through just email me and I will approve you a second go around. Its nothing personal its just an attempt to keep out spam.

Nothing more nothing less.

Sometimes I might delete someone who is legit but I promise you it isn't often, I usually get it right, but when I don't just email me.

ALL SPAMMERS or people who try to create multiple accounts will get deleted.

Larry

ForbiddenFruit
09-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Dear Dr. Frightner,

I have never spoken on the forum before, but I think that you are unaware of something that you should be aware of. The wireless routers that I am aware of have the same default IP address. That may be why you are seeing people applying with the same IP address (they all begin 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1).

Therefore, it's not really fair to say that this person or people are applying for multiple accounts. They are likely just using wireless routers, which I am using now. In my opinion, it's really not fair to disqualify everyone for membership for using wireless routers. Please give them a chance before disqualifying them. They are not all spammers. I have only seen maybe 4 of those on your forum. One has supposedly been banned permanently. You let the other 3 or so repeatedly spam us and don't seem to care, so why should anybody else be treated any differently?

With all due respect,
Carmen

ForbiddenFruit
09-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Dear Dr. Frightner,

I just googled those 2 IP addresses above and discovered that they are actually the default IP addresses for many more wireless routers than I was aware of, and it is all over the US, not in any specific area. I just wanted to share the information. Thank you for listening.

With all due respect,
Carmen

drfrightner
09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Carmen,

You don't know what you are talking about... you are not in the back end looking at the IP address. It is IMPOSSIBLE for TEN people to sign up all with the same IP, and when I see that its delete, delete, delete, delete!

It will always be delete. I've been doing this for 10 years now, and multiple IP means same person multiple accounts.

Larry

ForbiddenFruit
09-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Dear Dr. Frightner,

Please use your search engine to look up the IP addresses 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. All you have to do is type in the numbers in two separate searches. You will find the same information I did. I discovered this when I had problems with my wireless router. The default IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway all begin the same for many routers, and many families are using these now because they have multiple devices that utilize them (extra computers or laptops, cell phones, etc.). The IP addresses will change by one digit for each new device that is accessing the wireless router. And some schools and coffee houses use them as well so you can imagine that they will have many users with the same IP address (with only a single digit or two difference, again depending on how many devices are using the router). As one example, these people that you thought were the same user trying to get multiple accounts could have all been at the same school in the same computer room, each trying to join your forum.

It is also true that AOL has limited IP addresses for its users, which means people signed into AOL often appear to be using the same IP address. You can also do a search on this. It is possible that other internet providers that charge a fee for their service have the same issue.

I promise that I know what I am talking about and I am not trying to mislead you. I am trying to help you understand.

Please if any computer experts can expand on this, will you please help out here? Thanks!

With all due respect,
Carmen

Jim Warfield
09-25-2008, 11:30 PM
The avid poster who was from some small island and his on-line tag included his dog's name? He had many big ideas for some big city foreign haunted house his Daddy's millions was about to put together?
His command of the English lanuage seemed to show a foreign way of looking at English as we write it and say it, he was supposed to be of multiple citizenship?
Then someone saw his IP address and it matched a haunter we all know, he protested saying it wasn't him.
I don't think it was the haunter we all know, simply because of the amount of pure fantasy involved in the stories told, I couldn't see someone giving such a hoax that much time for the results in the end, which were nil as far as anyone could tell?
The foreign guy was supposed to have been in the haunter's part of town that day, therein the shared IP.
Some of the stuff this mystery poster had told about did seem to check out as checked out by an on-line "detective" who has alot of smarts in this stuff.
(And that person, the smarts one, is Certainly Not Me!)
Life is full of mysteries, ain't it?
"Woof!"

Greg Chrise
09-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Is that McGruff the crime dog?

Jim Warfield
09-26-2008, 07:10 AM
When doggie poops in his own yard...if he's on the end of a chain.
My dog struggled and tried butt just couldn't successfully load his feces onto the small poop-catapult I made for him.
Of course the one time he got it loaded, then wouldn't you know it, the cat was on his break. Then the target moved away, out of range.

Haunted Illinois
09-26-2008, 07:30 AM
...It is also true that AOL has limited IP addresses for its users, which means people signed into AOL often appear to be using the same IP address. You can also do a search on this. It is possible that other internet providers that charge a fee for their service have the same issue.

That is quite true. Actually, ANY dial-up service provider is that way (AOL, NetZero, etc). When someone using a dial-up service logs into the internet, they are temporarily assigned an IP address from the available block of ID's the service provider uses. When the person logs-off, they lose that IP and it is reassigned to someone else when they log on. Given that information, technically, a person could have a hundred different IP addresses in a single day if they logged on that many times. Conversely, several different people who use AOL could appear to be the same person trying to register multiple times on the Hauntworld board.

So really, going by IP address isn't aways the best security method.

I typically erase all users with hotmail or gmail accounts because those emails have the most spammers,

Larry, a lot of people I know use hotmail and gmail... as well as Yahoo and other free email services on the web. Actually, Dream Reapers currently uses a Hotmail address. LOL. So in an effort to keep your board clean, you are probably depriving a lot of Haunters accounts, thinking they are spam.

As for the same person applying for multiple accounts... perhaps some of them are just frustrated Haunters who have been denied accounts time and time again, because they use hotmail and are hoping that if they give you a more appropriate username, you will grant them an account.

Just my two cents...

Nightgore
09-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I use hotmail! -Tyler

Haunted Illinois
09-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh, another point about Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo email accounts. A LOT of people use one of the above types of free email accounts as a secondary, not their primary email accounts. They use them to sign up for online offers and yes, message boards like this one. The reason being, they are afraid to sign up for anything online, for fear of having their INBOX flooded with spam emails.

Some less-reputable websites use scams to entice people to reveal their email addresses, then sell it to people who send spam emails. Either that or the site owners themselves send the spam.

I learned this mistake the hard way. Now I keep a Hotmail address for that very purpose... to sign up for message boards and practically ANYTHING online.

So, Larry, by filtering out these types of email addresses, you are probably filtering out a LOT of Haunters who would have something great to contribute on this forum. Just my two... well, now I guess that makes it, three cents. LOL.

drfrightner
09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Its not automatic that I refuse a gmail or hotmail, but typically with a gmail you see more spammers than another other... when you see a user name like jflkdjfdlksjf or touchmybody or something like that over and over again you know they are spammers.

Larry

TheRupert
09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Doh! I use Gmail as my primary email, because I travel a lot and it allows me to always have access to my email!

Please don't delete me! :shock:

ForbiddenFruit
09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Dear Dr. Frightner and others who have helped clarify,

I want to thank you all for your helpful information and support, and I do have something else to say. I regularly watch the names of the people applying to be new members because I am often so impressed by how creative they are, and almost all of them are somehow haunt or halloween related. I haven't seen any "touchmybody" or other suggestive ones but you are correct that there have been some that look like random strokes on the keyboard. However, to my recollection, many that were recently deleted had perfectly decent names, something like gruesome fields, haunt shrew, the phantom, psycho monster, and haunted gully.

I also want to make one more point. My job requires me to travel extensively, and I take my laptop wherever I go. I log into public wireless routers wherever I happen to be, and that includes coffee houses and schools. I have an icon on my laptop so that I can view my IP address at any time. My IP address changes according to which router I am using, but sometimes it is the same as my home IP address, even if I am in a totally different city or state. Sometimes it just varies by a digit or two, and sometimes it will be the same in two totally different locations but that same IP address will be very different from my home IP address. It all depends on the router.

One other thing to note is that because of all of my travels, I clear my cookies on my laptop regularly. Even though I clear cookies every time I exit, the cookie for your forum varies between hauntworld[1], hauntworld[2], hauntworld[3], etc. I am assuming that since I clear the cookies after every visit to your forum, the number at the end of hauntworld must indicate how many users are currently in your forum with the same IP address. I cannot imagine why else that number would differ. Thank you for your consideration.

With all due respect,
Carmen

drfrightner
09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't not take someone because they have gmail or hotmail, and I'm not deleting existing users because of their email... I'm talking about why I don't accept new users when they subscribe.

You can NOT automatically join this forum because we don't want spammers.

I'm trying to keep out the spammers... I'm saying some times I might delete errr not accept a member and they are a legit person. I didn't do it on purpose and I don't do it to keep someone off and its nothing personal.

I'm doing the best I can which is GUESS who is real and who isn't... typically its the GMAIL accounts that are FAKE... most of the fakes come through GMAIL, so its an instant strike when I look at someone to accept them or decline them. Again I'm only guessing when I do this there is no other method other than accept everyone then every five minutes you have a zillion spam messages everywhere.

I'm only saying I'm doing the best I can by guessing, and if I delete someone legit try again its nothing person I promise you!

Larry

Barry
09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
he IPs you quote for routers are what the end user would use to access the router itself not what IP is actually used to surf the internet. Each user has a unique IP. The only time this is not the case is if two people are surfing from the same network (ie same house, workplace, etc...).

Mistress DeSade
09-26-2008, 10:07 PM
geez-I thought everyone loved gmail as much as Me :)

My primary personal and business emails are gmail (most of my buds at the federal reserve IT dept too). Always there when you travel-stores for the innumerable hard drive/server crashes....(yes, I know I should back up...)

Kathryn

Greg Chrise
09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Unique IP addresses? Maybe for those accessing on a phone line but, once you are into Broadband entire portions of grids are one IP address. It could be that new activity surrounding a larger haunted house would bring in wanna be forum posters and they would all have the same IP address in the new digital age.

These are tracking mainly which network gets credit for advertiser clicks, not secret service level stuff.

How excited these deleted people would be to reapply is another thing. Not being a member the only thing you can't access is the pictures? Information about other members?

I don't know why someone would want multiple memberships? I just use the same name my mother dreamed up and exhibit multiple personalities.

ForbiddenFruit
09-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Dear Barry,

I respectfully disagree. Like I said before, I use my laptop with public wireless routers everywhere I travel. I also have an icon which has a pop-up window that immediately shows me my new IP address each time I access a wireless router. That IP address changes according to where I happen to be, but many times that IP address is the same as others I have seen in totally different locations but it is usually different from my home IP address. Once in a blue moon, it happens to be the same as my home IP address.

Almost all of these IP addresses usually begin with 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. By doing the internet search that I did, I discovered that these are default IP addresses for many wireless routers. Sometimes on occasion, I will see a different IP address that begins with 10.10.10.1 or 10.0.0.1 or even something that begins with a different number altogether, but this is very rare. Times have changed since we have gone wireless and I think that is where the confusion has arisen.

I also think it explains why the hauntworld cookie number [1], [2], [3], etc., changes even though I delete my cookies every time I exit the forum. I truly believe that this number indicates how many users (members and guests) are logged into the forum at the same time with the same IP address because I know for a fact that the same IP address is being used in many places that I travel, due to wireless router default IP addresses.

With all due respect,
Carmen

ForbiddenFruit
09-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Dear All,

I also agree with Adam and Greg that if people applying for membership were accepted in a timely manner, there likely would not be an issue with anyone reapplying. I know it took me several attempts to get accepted back in July, and I've seen an entire thread on that very issue.

And as I tried to say before, I also believe that it is very possible that students at a college (for example, in a dormitory) have been getting together in their student lounge or computer room and taking turns applying for membership. They may be trying to put together their own haunt this season and want some input from the pros on the forum.

With all due respect,
Carmen

Barry
09-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Carmen,
The IP you are seeing is the number assigned by the router to your computer NOT the IP the the router has gotten from the provider. The only people that would have the same IP as you (as seen by Hauntworld or any other website) would be anyone using that same router at the same time.

If Larry is seeing multiple accounts created from the same IP the chances are pretty slim that all of those people are using the same hotspot in an Airport, Starbucks, etc...