PDA

View Full Version : HauntWorld Banner Ads

graystone
09-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Larry its come to my attention that the banner ads are all cluttered. When I purchased from HauntWorld I was told that Alabama had 4 spots. I was told Tennessee had 6 ( I got the last one there I was told anyway) and Mississippi had 4. So why was I lied to Paul from Atrox has noticed this as well.

Alabama now has 9 and only 3 are in Bama 1 in Tenn and 1 in Ga the rest is not within even reasonable driving distance from the South ( Darkness and CreepWorld to name 2) Same goes for Tenn and Miss. So can you please explain why you have did this other than for the money. I always thought thats why we buy banner ads so we are noticed and not in the clutter of 10 million listings. Now from what I can see its all just a cluttered mess that makes me say this is to much junk here!!!! We paid good money to be noticed here as you say this is the place go get noticed ( yeah ok) but whats up with this? When does this stop by the way its looking is you can keep adding them one right after the other.

I suggest everyone thats bought banner ads to go look at your state right now mine is just a cluttered mess. I know Larry don't want some people to see this but I want a dang answer! Shane and its what did you do with my money Larry Shane this time!!

Grimley
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
How did the darkness get a link in Alabama? Talk about hell and gone from the area.

Haunted Illinois
09-29-2008, 03:36 PM
That's the same with the Illinois banners. There are 9 banners in the Illinois section and only 3 of the events are actually located in Illinois. I think this will be VERY confusing to potential customers only looking for events in their state.

I guess any event can list in any state, as long as they fork over the $$$. How sad.

graystone
09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
It was an out right lie looks like. Larry has been on line ever since this thread was started and he has yet to answer me. Shane and its I am still waiting Shane this time.

Patti Ludwinski
09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Shane,
I personally handled your account. I personally handled the sale of your 2008 banner ads. I am your personal sales representative, and I never told you anything of the sort.

---Patti
blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net

graystone
09-29-2008, 05:18 PM
In another world. What did you tell me then about the banner ads? I do know they were limited and I know you never mentioned 9 spots so can you please remind me what you said.

Also can you tell me what the point is to buy a banner ad and have so many others cluttered and stuffed on top of each other? whats the difference now? Please explain. I think Paul misunderstood too. So are we the only two? Shane and its I still don't get the point of the banner ads now Shane this time.

Patti Ludwinski
09-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Shane,
I just forwarded to your email the original message that was sent to you back in February 2008 for your re-review. Hope that helps clear it up. (Thank God for good record-keeping, and thank you Microsoft for Outlook folders...lol.)

---Patti

Email: blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net

FearSeeker
09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
This is just another good example of why it needs to be much easier to locate every haunt. I saw a later post in the newest poll about haunt finder that said that it would be helpful to type in a haunt's name and locate it that way. I think that's a fantastic idea!

It would also be very nice to type in your zip code and find all of the haunts within a reasonable distance of your location. My state is so cluttered with banners and listings in such a random order that I can't find any haunt, much less haunts in my area.

And I agree 100% that the states are already so cluttered with banners and listings that they should not have anything (banners or listings) from other states. I also think that each listing ought to say what state it is for because even though they have the city, I'm not always sure what state that city is in. I saw one recently from Italy, and I was thinking "Is that the country or a city in my state or some other state?" I regularly wonder where the heck these haunts are because the city often tells me nothing. I need to know what state it is in.

Thanks for helping out with all of this.

UndeadProd
09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I just happened to look at my traffic from the last 13 months.

I paid a local tv station several thousand dollars for ad placement on their halloween page, and it led to 9,000 unique visitors in the last 12 months....

I've paid hauntworld roughly $400 a year for a featured banner listing in PA and it's led to more visitors than the tv station.

Who would possibly question the awesome effectiveness of such a low-cost investment?

I do think that the system could use some enhancements (the zip code tracking sounds like a great idea) -- particularly for those of us who live in gigantic states like PA -- but you'll never hear me complain about banner advertising, It's a bargain at 3x the price.

As for state to state, I can only speak to my experience. A significant amount of our business comes from West Virginia (Morgantown, Wheeling, and Weirton are all less than 90 minutes from here) so it only made sense for me to buy a banner ad in WV.

I'll agree that it gets tricky when you're dealing with a large state. Philly and Pittsburgh are both in PA -- but they are nearly 5 hours apart - so it would be nice if there was a way to break it up by region or zip or something ... but I'm certainly not complaining about my investment.

Shane - can you think of one form of advertising that costs less than a banner ad that will deliver 9,000 people to your website? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

Nightgore
09-29-2008, 07:29 PM
I think haunts should ONLY be able to buy banners in bordering states... not something like Netherworld banner in Kentucky? WTF? I mean really, NO ONE is driving from KY to Atlanta for a haunt? -Tyler

PS: That's JUST an example, I have NO IDEA if Netherworld has a banner in KY or not!

graystone
09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
And I was wrong there is no mention to limits. Where and who told me that I don't know but it was not her. However with this being said and there is no limits to cluttered banner ads. I myself am pretty sure I will pass on banner ads. I agree with Tyler I can see bording states but cluttering up the ads with Larrys haunt or his friends haunts is just plain stupid no one is going to drive 12, 14, 20 hours for 30 minutes of fun! It want and is not gonna happen.

Again sorry Patti I was wrong and when I am I admit it. But that don't change the fact that I still think its worthless. Shane and its does anyone wanna buy my spots for 2009 contact Patti Shane this time!!!

Haunted Illinois
09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
ÖI paid a local tv station several thousand dollars for ad placement on their halloween page, and it led to 9,000 unique visitors in the last 12 months....

I've paid hauntworld roughly $400 a year for a featured banner listing in PA and it's led to more visitors than the tv station.

Who would possibly question the awesome effectiveness of such a low-cost investment?

I totally agree!!! Iíve had many local radio stations approach me, wanting to sell ad space in their Halloween directory section. LOL. Making such an online investment rarely works out.

Hitting your target market directly is the way to go. Where do you think you would get the most click-throughs.. in an online Haunt directory where people come to find Haunted House listings or some radio/tv stationís website, where people are most likely coming to find other info. Itís a no-brainer.

I recently had a haunted house tell me that they had ten times more unique visitors from their featured banner on my site than they did a prominent radio stationís website ad. Just my two cents.

Speculo
09-29-2008, 09:36 PM
And his friends haunts? Huh?

To whom are you refering to pray tell? Some one from GA who bought an Alabamba banner maybe?

I know I paid for a banner in Alabamba just like Atrox paid for one in GA..
Just like you paid for one in Tennessee... It sounds like you are complaining about something you did as well!

We bought banners in all surrounding states, and we bought low banners because we felt the local haunts should get first crack at the top spots.

Nothing wrong with what we did or what Atrox did..there is a lot of traffic between states.

If you want to argue with Larry about his Darkness/Creepyworld banners everywhere that is one thing...

But I think his "friends" paid like everyone else, and you might have to look pretty hard to find anyone beyond Larry with banners all over the US.

And even if you did find someone, why can't they?

The real question will be when the dust settles will the $$$ you spend on Hauntworld banner ads be worth the money, and if last year is any indication the answer will be yes!

I am thinking we are all going into great seasons... It is already looking good!

I for one am ready to enjoy this month of fun, and hopefully pay for all the new toys we bought and built!

Thanks!

mindtumor
09-30-2008, 06:37 AM
I think haunts should ONLY be able to buy banners in bordering states... not something like Netherworld banner in Kentucky? WTF? I mean really, NO ONE is driving from KY to Atlanta for a haunt? -Tyler

PS: That's JUST an example, I have NO IDEA if Netherworld has a banner in KY or not!

Tyler,

I plan on driving to Netherworld from Michigan in a couple of weeks.

Jim Warfield
09-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Because someone will, some do drive very long distances to see a particulair haunted house or roadside attraction.
Of course spending say $300.oo JUST to get 4 people would be stupid for most businesses! But you never really know who and what is happening in people's lives (Planning to be traveling to that area anyhow, sort of thing happens)
A boy from Arizona happened to see The ravens Grin on the cover of National Geographic World, was visiting his Grandfather in Chicago and convinced gramps to bring him the last 3 hours here to see my house.
The other night a girl from Germany was here for her 5th time!
I try to determine where customers are coming from, and how they found out about my house, I have been surprised many times from what I find out.

colwood56
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
My Wife And I With A Couple Of Friends Are Traveling 6 Hours This Oct. To See 7 Gatesofhell. Saginaw To Cleavland.
So People Will Travel.
Jim

hauntedhousenut
09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Is it people that are in the industry will travel or is anyone?

colwood56
09-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I Had People From Canada Come Every Other Year To See Our Haunt. A Few 90 Miles Away. I Think It Is People Who Just Love Halloween And Maybe A Few Who Own A Haunt Or Would Like To.
Jim@colwood

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Yes, but that is still a bordering state... But NO NORMAL CUSTOMER will travel across several states to see a haunt! The ONLY places that this can happen to is theme parks: Knott's, Universal, etc. etc. ... that's it! -Tyler

MMManiac
09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
I dont see it as being wrong that a haunt can by a banner in another state but i think it should be ran a little better. Say limit the feature banners to 6 per state for instate huants then 4 for out of state haunts. First come first serve.

Just a thought. Im sure Larry and the HW team will come up with a better way to handle this next year.

(I think part of whats goin on here is that Larry is trying to do TOO much. TWO major haunts, a #1 haunt website and a leader megazein all by himself not to mention building attractions for other companies. Larry their comes a time you have to bite the bullet and come up with a management team. Someone to strickly be in chare of the meg, someone the hauntworld site, ect... You can still be the top dog of it all just delegate some of the responsbilities. Alot less stress on you and im sure your family. Just a thought)

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I think haunt banners should be limited to the state they are in and bordering states... that's it! No going a few states aways or anything, it's all about protecting a market! -Tyler

mindtumor
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Is it people that are in the industry will travel or is anyone?

I doubt many people outside the industry travel REALLY far to see a show but I think there probably is a few. I have had other owners tell me people have driven hundreds of miles to come and see them and they aren't in the industry. I don't think it is very many people but I think it is starting to pick up. I can't imagine haunts pulling in thousands from states far away, but maybe a few people. I think they may have some luck with surrounding states. At 15-20 a ticket how many people do you need to get to buy a low ranking banner? I highly doubt Netherworld will get many more people other than myself and who is going with me from Michigan but maybe some states a little closer to them.

It would be interesting to have some of these haunt owners share their out of town data with us to see if long distance advertising is working for them.

I don't really like the thought of some Ohio or whatever other states haunts being able to purchase higher Michigan banners then me but it is a free market society so I would fight for their right to do so even though I may not like it.

mindtumor
09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
If you are so interested in protecing a market then would you refuse admittance to your haunt if they were from a few states away. After all I wouldn't want you having my Michigan guests going to your haunt and maybe not mine. I would only want Michigan people going to Michigan haunts that way I have a better chance of getting visitors because they are chained to only being able to go in state. If you want to stop the producers from spending money outside their states then you should be all for stopping consumers from spending money outside their states.

Are you also saying that if Larry decides there is only going to be 10 banners per state yet only 6 will sell to in state haunts because no one else in that state wants one, than he should just sit on those empty banners?

If someone wants to buy a banner in every friggin state and they are available what do you care? Why would you care what someone spends their advertising dollars on? Is your argument that advertising elsewhere doesn't work so therefore you shouldn't be allowed to do so? And what do you personally care for anyway did you try and buy a banner and get denied?

Bottom line is if you think you will get some sort of attendance out of state by spending some advertising money in that state then you should be allowed to.

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
You also have to remember that haunt owners tend to exagerate (spelling?) the number of people they do and then where they come from. I bet that no more than 1% of ANY haunts attendance comes from more than 300 miles away. So, it's not enough to justify having a banner that far away!

If a site, like Hauntworld, it going to offer banners for sale in my state... and I plan to purchase one, I EXPECT market caps on that state. It's like when you buy a TV commercial from Elswarro... once you buy one, that market is DONE... no one else can get an ad for your market.

As a business, do I want other haunt banners from other states on the page I paid for you? HELL NO!!! I barely want haunts that are IN my state, much less others! Remember, this is BUSINESS... I think this is one area Larry could make extra money in to help pay for this site... market caps.

I don't know the price of a banner but let's say it's $300. Well, ok... but this also puts a BUNCH of other banners on the same page and some from out of state. Well, that hurts my business... now, lets say that for the price of ALL the banners and an extra $200... my banner would be the ONLY banner on that page or the only "premium" banner on that page. Now, that is something I'm willing to pay for.

I want something that helps my business... not mine and everyone elses! -Tyler

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Jared,

Look... don't get confused between sales and advertising. I'm not saying turn away guest from other states... what I'm saying is that ads need to be protected. Now, it's not my problem if someone from Michigan gets on HW.com and LOOKS for haunts here in KY.

You keep bringing up the "free market", which is good... but:

1. Advertising in EVERY state is a waste of money. Studies prove that targeted advertising works WAY better!

2. Almost every media outlet I know of, or at least here in KY, OFFERS a cap on the market if enough money is paid. So, if I advertised on EVERY radio station under one company... like, Cumulus Radio actually broadcasts 4-5 different stations, then I will be the ONLY haunt ad played on ALL those stations. They will not allow any other haunt to advertise.

It's all about survival... Also, since your pushing free market... who's to say I couldn't buy EVERY banner in KY and all it's surrounding states? This would also give me a market control of almost the entire midwest! Free market baby! -Tyler

Haunted Illinois
09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
How about this... Take Illinois, for instance. Only 3 out of the 9 Featured Banners are events within the state of Illinois. On top of that, all of those banners reside underneath a header that reads "Haunted Houses And Halloween Attractions in Illinois". Isn't that a little misleading? Also, with so many out-of-state events listed in the Illinois section, that takes away advertising opportunities for events that actually are in the state. Valid points, don't you think?

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree... But I think haunts should be limited to the state they are in AND bordering states.... that's it! -Tyler

mindtumor
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I couldn't care less if you bought every banner in Kentucky or Michigan that is your right. If you have the money then buy them . I may not like that you did it but I like that you had the right to do so.

As far as your argument about putting a cap on advertising in a market that is different then not allowing someone to advertise in a market at all.

Also, leave it up to individual haunts to decide what works for them. If Netherworld decides they want to buy a banner in Michigan for say 200.00, well at $20.00 a ticket they only need 11 people for it to have been worth it. If they don't get 11 people and decide not to try it again because it didn't work for them that is one thing. Telling them right of the bat that they have no right to try it because YOU think it won't work is unfair.

Cleveland, Ohio bought a bunch of air time with a Detroit station last year to try and get people in Michigan to come and visit their city. Are you saying they shouldn't have been allowed because that is trying to get people to spend their money in Cleveland instead of spending it all in Detroit?

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Look, what I'm saying... is yes every haunt has every right to do as they please and buy what they want. BUT! If a site like this wants to try and bring this industry together and allow advertising on this site... than the haunt buying the space needs a little protection.

You think if Unit70 bought a two page ad in HW Mag., and then Scarefactory bought another two page ad back-to-back to Unit70... and Unit70 didn't get pissed! HELL NO!!! I bet Unit70 wouldn't advertise in the mag anymore, which is a loss of revenue! It's only in the best interest of this site that there should be market limits for advertising.

It's like some seminars are popping up for TW'09 that are market controlled. I've already got my space reserved for it and that means NO OTHER haunt within 300 miles of me can attend this seminar, no matter what.

If I spend $8K for HW.com banner space... then there BETTER be NO OTHER haunts from any other state in KY!!! Now, if I advertise in Ohio... then I can't "cap" that page because my haunt isn't located there, but I can advertise there.

OK.. my idea:

-Haunts should only be allowed to advertise in the state they are in and bordering states

-Haunts should only be able to "cap" the state they are in. Meaning that a haunt in KY will have the ONLY banners for KY. There can be other listings, but NO OTHER BANNERS!!!

-A fixed number of banners should be sold per state... no more, no less.

-Different "listings" should be available with different features and different costs.

-Market protection should be enforced to help protect haunts... it is a business.

Just my idea... -Tyler

drfrightner
09-30-2008, 12:25 PM
This whole thing is pretty funny... now let me say this. Universal Studios is marketing NATIONWIDE, why don't you tell them to stay in Florida? People are traveling to these big haunted attractions, hence they spend money in all states.

Secondly, lets consider this for a second a state like PA, if you have a haunt in Philadelphia just as an example, you are like an hour from New York City, minutes from New Jersey border, couple hours from DC, Baltimore and the list goes on an on. In other words if you have a haunt in Philadelphia you are within a 2 hour drive from 20 million plus people. Why would that haunt limit itself to just customers within their city?

Lets go one further you say keep the marketing just in your own state... well a haunt in Philadelphia is closer to DC, New York City, Baltimore, Atlantic City, Newark, and TONS of other cities than it to the second biggest city in its own state (Pittsburgh).

Last year we collected address's if you wanted a coupon, and 6% of EVERYONE who requested those coupons was from a state other than Illinois or Missouri.

I do not agree with those who say you should limit your marketing to your city only your state only, because people will drive to these attractions from as far as you can imagine. Who cares where someone comes from as long as they do?

Lastly, let me say this... this site costs a lot of money to create and keep running...and the majority of the support is coming from very few, meaning if it wasn't for the Bates Motels we wouldn't even be able to stay online unless it al comes out of my pocket.

Maybe more haunts should follow the leads of the aggressive attractions and do the same exact thing because it works!!!

Don't limit you creativity within your haunted house, and don't limit the limits to which you will reach out to find customers to your haunted house. You might have a great haunt, but do you have a great website, logos, and a marketing plan? All of those things go hand and hand to making a very successful business.

Don't knock the process or the guys who realize this better than most and take advantage of what is right in front of them the tools to be successful!

Larry

mindtumor
09-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Asking whether it is fair to buy up all of the banners or all of the ads in a magazine is a completely different arguement then what we are talking about. Mentioning that does not validate your point on haunts only being allowed to buy banners within their states.

You don't KNOW if it is worth buying banners in other states. If you came to find out that you could get people from Michigan to come to Kentucky if you bought a Michigan banner you would be STUPID not to because you thought it was unfair to the market here. If I could get people from some remote island in the pacific if I bought a banner I wouldn't give a f@ck if you thought it would be unfair to the market there to do so.

Terror_Field
09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I think many are missing the point from my thread and poll. I can understand why events would advertise in a diffrent state, the whole point was to bring up how cluttered the page is, to help Larry rethink of how it should be put together not to put Larry down.

A good Idea would be this:

All Banners at the top however seperating those from that state to those who are not by wording of "Other Haunts close to your state"

where the real work is needed is for those haunts not advertised and even those who did but have a normal listing, that part is very complicated and several pages away do to all the banners.

Lets put a-b-c up at the top so you can jump to a town, or allow a search by town, or zipcode and miles from zipcode.

NOw Larry I also understand the funding part, but don't think it is fare for you to push that on us. I say this because the advertisment money does help, your site promotes your haunts too and I did mention it is "Your site" There are a few choices here as well 1.)Sell it (im sure you would ask a very high prices for just the domain names) 2.) just let things go dead let your domain expire and let someone else try to do what you have done or 3.) The best choice if you don't want to fund it is Sell it to The Haunt Assotiation once it becomes Incorperated and let the Dues and fundraisers pay for it.

Yeah I know you have a lot to do with the Association too and Im sorry Im not that big of a haunt to help contribute I have many ideas that just can't be funded but would help the industry, however your the man becuase you did it, you did it good and you helped this industry come a long ways.

drfrightner
09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I might change it next year I have an idea, any changes made would be made before we start to sell banner for the following season. Actually I have a REALLY good idea on how to do it.

It would be a major change but I might do it.

Going back to the funding part, I'm here to sell banners to whomever wants to pay for them... if every haunt in a certain state stepped up and bought them we wouldn't even be talking about this. Its unfortunate after all the articles I have written and many others that some haunts still don't see why some haunts turn MEGA, with lines wrapped around give city blocks and others continue to drag and drag and never grow.

You have to have a complete package and that includes logos, website, and marketing... I will say this a thousand times it is NOT all about the haunt not at all. Let me also throw in GREAT PR!

All cylinders must be clicking otherwise you just do what you do.

As for how do you know if they come ... well let me say this I know they come but how many people do you really need to pay for a $400.00 banner? NOT MANY... at $20.00 per person you need 20 people to buy a ticket from how many click through 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000 whatever you need 20 people c'mon.

Use cost vs. return and you are robbing a little kids piggy bank.

Larry

drfrightner
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
I might change it next year I have an idea, any changes made would be made before we start to sell banner for the following season. Actually I have a REALLY good idea on how to do it.

It would be a major change but I might do it.

Going back to the funding part, I'm here to sell banners to whomever wants to pay for them... if every haunt in a certain state stepped up and bought them we wouldn't even be talking about this. Its unfortunate after all the articles I have written and many others that some haunts still don't see why some haunts turn MEGA, with lines wrapped around give city blocks and others continue to drag and drag and never grow.

You have to have a complete package and that includes logos, website, and marketing... I will say this a thousand times it is NOT all about the haunt not at all. Let me also throw in GREAT PR!

All cylinders must be clicking otherwise you just do what you do.

As for how do you know if they come ... well let me say this I know they come but how many people do you really need to pay for a $400.00 banner? NOT MANY... at $20.00 per person you need 20 people to buy a ticket from how many click through 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000 whatever you need 20 people c'mon.

Use cost vs. return and you are robbing a little kids piggy bank.

Larry

Terror_Field
09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
what do you have in mind Larry? I get your concept and it is greate buisness practice to get as much for your $$$$ I understand the business side but we do need to concider the customer side and that is why I started the poll. A few days ago I went on to try finding some good haunts to go to and had a heck of a time searching through all the information. I didn't really think it would bring all of this on.

Also I sent you a PM I hope maybe you could check it out and pm me back.

Thanks again Larry for helping to make the industry better.

Speculo
09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
People DO travel -

Heck I Travel!

This year incuding last haunt season I went to Pennsylvaina and saw Eastern State, Bates Motel, Shocktoberfest, Fright Factory, Scare House and Ghostwood estates.

I went to Baton Rouge and saw 13th Gate, and then to New Orleans and saw The House of Shock, Chambers of Horror and The Mortuary.

In Houston I saw Nightmare on the Bayou, Screamworld and Phobia.

I went to Ohio and saw The House Of Nightmares, Dead Acres, and The Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory.

I went to St. Louis and saw The Darkness and Creepyworld.

I went to Las Vegas and saw The Haunted Enterprises Trailer Haunts.

I went to Orlando and saw Terror in Orlando. Universal Horror Nights, and in Tampa HalloScream.

In Atlanta I saw Creepers, Psychoshack and 13 Stories.

Most of these I saw off season, or at special convention events, but it was a great year of Haunts!

Don't kid yourself - People will travel to see YOU! Haunters are a tough crowd, but at the same time a very amazing crowd because they see the work beyond the scare.

Heck yes advertise regionally, even nationally, if the ads are inexpensive enough.

And as Frank would say... This year visit your local Haunted Houses!

Thanks!

Nightgore
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't count haunters in with the "normal customer"... of course we'll travel to see haunts; but the average customer... HELL NO!!! -Tyler

Speculo
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I guess we are just going to have to disagree... We have the online ticket sales sorted to zip codes, guest comments (filled out in the gift shop) and conversations with travellers that say otherwise. Who knows, it could be related to national and regional advertising - if so I am glad we do it. Haunters or not, they do come from far away.

Thanks

drfrightner
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Tyler,

Did you ever see the movie Field of Dreams...build it and they will come?

If you build a great haunted house, better than anything in the region, or lets just say more different than anything in the region, something new, someone original people will come.

How many people come to St. Louis to watch the St. Louis Cardinals play? I read somewhere that almost 40% of all their business comes from more than 100 miles away. What percentage of people do you think visit the Arch... I would bet you anything its over 80% from outside of St. Louis.

Tourism is a big part of every cities economy, what do people come to your city to see? Hmmm a football game, a baseball game, family, friends, who knows who cares, but why not a haunted house.

Tyler tell me something... Halloween is now a near 6 billion dollar industry, that tells me there are a lot of fans out there of Halloween and things that are haunted. There are a lot of haunted fans out there Tyler and they do travel far and wide.

You are wrong but that is okay because eventually when you get your haunted house where you want it, and you branch out your marketing, when you built up a national awareness, a buzz about your creation, you will learn the GREAT way you are wrong!

Being a fan of Halloween or haunted houses is not reserved for haunt owners... long before we came along they made movies about haunted houses, wrote comic books, haunted house albums, toys and games.

Haunted houses have had fans before us, and long after us.

Larry

mindtumor
10-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Tyler I know for a fact that non-haunt owners travel far just to see haunts. I KNOW people that have flown to universal horror nights, or driven to Cedar point, or wherever. And guess what they don't just visit those places when they get there, they go to surrounding haunts as well.

You should work to get your haunt known nationally not just locally. The more I can afford to do the more I will.

I plan on taking a 3 day travel trip in the middle of the week this October to visit long distance haunts and yeah I am an owner but I am going with people that aren't and it was their idea.

MMManiac
10-01-2008, 07:11 AM
I received a phone call from a group in ohio (im in Green Bay, WI) calling themselves the "scared shitless group" and wanted to come up for a tour of haunts in my neck of the woods. Thats a 9 hour drive. People do travel to see haunts. Tyler might be right MOST people wouldnt but SOME indeed do so the more national advertising you can do the better. If you got the $$ to do so, then do it. I also agree though that the HW site needs to be less cluttered and look better.

Jim Warfield
10-01-2008, 07:24 AM
People on a tourism weekend usually plan ahead because time and money might be precious.
People would accidently find my house BUT since they just happened to find my place, I was not on their schedule, = No tickets bought from Jim.
A year or two later I might be on their schedule but they had to find out about me before they got into their car for it to have a chance most of the time.
As Larry said my house fit the need for entertainment by being "Different".
Creating that "Different" is where it can become very difficult for many.
For me it was a compulsion to not be the same as anything I had ever seen or heard of before and I had already spent most of my life being somewhat creatively "different" than most others , at least by their common standards.
"Different" but still able to live and even thrive within a community and NOT ever see the world through steel bars or concertina wire.
(Not yet, anyway!)