PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Tombstones and Headstones?

31Halloween31
09-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I had to add to my cemetery for the front porch, but instead of with more flat tombstones and headstones. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good material to crave some headstones out of something? Like the angels and figures in a real-life cemetery? Also, maybe make a cemetery arch, you know?

This is for an example of cemetery arch image below:

http://www.cemeteryworks.com/fam_estes/pccc_arch.jpg

Any hints will be very appreciated! ;)

BrainDonor13
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
It'll have to be secured, but foam insulation board is one of the best mediums for carving - especially if you're on a tight budget.

31Halloween31
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Ok, I heard that styrofoam is great to make upright gravestones. And, you can crave and connect parts together to create a stone looking arch. A little paint, and some wooden stakes (for supporting and to mount into the ground) and you can have the perfec arch, right?

Killer Katie
10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Sorry to be off topic, but Brain Donor - I love your quote from Fido - that movie rocked hard!

Back on topic - the foam used to make the cemetary crosses carves nicely and is stiff. You can find it in most craft stores.

KroneDaddy
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Man that Confederate Dead cemetery arch you made was awesome, and that's a huge graveyard for a yard haunt! You keep on brother! :^{P (guy with mustache sticking out tongue)

OK

Oli Holler uses the white beaded styrofoam for his sculptures. Big blocks like marinas use for flotation. He uses a combination of carving tools including rasps, saws, etc.

KDaddy

BrainDonor13
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM
LOL! Thanks. Not too many people I know have seen Fido. It's seriously underrated.

Let us know how the foam works out (assuming that's what you'll try using, 31...) I have some work to do this year myself with some foam core. I'm not sure if foam core is any cheaper.

31Halloween31
10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
You can make the gravestone or headstone with the styrofoam. I o buy more designed ones too. But they aren't as fun... LOL! Also, you may want to put a protective seal on the "stones" just to make it last longer and be stronger. ;)

Foam core? I'll see when I ask someone else if he knows how to do it and more familiar with this. I will let you know more about it later. Thanks for asking! :p

TheCareTaker
10-05-2008, 03:25 AM
here is my house this is the first year. next wil be the crypt and that will start thewalk through.
hope you al like it.

have a great night

31Halloween31
10-05-2008, 09:55 PM
LOL! Thanks. Not too many people I know have seen Fido. It's seriously underrated.

Let us know how the foam works out (assuming that's what you'll try using, 31...) I have some work to do this year myself with some foam core. I'm not sure if foam core is any cheaper.

Foam core? It works well just takes a little longer time than going to the store and picking one out then paying for it... Gosh, so much time! LOL!

BrainDonor13
10-06-2008, 08:26 AM
If you plan on playing after Halloween with some styrofoam stuffs, go to your local fish store and ask them to save you the styrofoam containers. They're about 3 feet square (at our store at least) and they usually don't mind. They're a free way to start playing around with new props. (They don't smell like fish either, as the fish are contained in plastic inside the styro...although a fishy smell would add to the haunt atmosphere. LOL!)

31Halloween31
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
And, I'm very interested building my own cemetery fence and gate so anyone knows how to do it?

I like something old and rust fence around the cemetery with a good large creepy gate with an old sign board on it. If anyone makes like that, please tell me where I can find some fences or how to make them. How to make a large gate? Thanks!