PDA

View Full Version : Off-Topic Computer Question

Haunting Copy
10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Do any of y'all know why it could be that my computer will play an MP3 CD for only a couple minutes, and then the sound goes out? It's mystifying to me. :(

Each time I try, it will play, like, two extra minutes than the time before, and then it'll quit again. Grrr!

I'm running Vista.

BTW, Adobe gives me trouble, too, when reading from data CDs.

This is a brand new computer!!

Thanks so much,
Sarah

Jonathan
10-06-2008, 09:32 AM
It could be a variety of things.

What program are you using to listen to an MP3 CD.

Also, it can be how fast the CD was burned. Many people love to burn a CD at super high speeds and sometimes that will cause an audio CD to error out, skip, or not read at all.

For audio type CDs you should burn no more than 4x..best would be 2x as slow as that sounds and for Data CDs same rule of thumb. You usually don't want to burn faster than 8x because the faster you burn the CD the more information is lost over a period of time and during the burn.

Hope that helps a bit.

Haunting Copy
10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Jonathan, for tackling this. I sure appreciate it!

Um, I've tried Windows Media Player, QuickTime, iTunes, you name it, LOL.

Sometimes I get the message "cannot read source" or it'll tell me "insert disk."

Whatever player I use, they seem to shut down, too. I'll get the "not responding" message frequently.

Ugh.

As for the recording rate, I'm not sure what it was done at. The CD came from a fellow copywriter who is teaching a class. The CD contains the lessons, which are comprised of recordings that were done as a "teleclass."

Thanks again, Jon. I super appreciate your help - even if we don't find a solution. :)

Sarah

Haunting Copy
10-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Got a new special message:

"Windows Media Player encountered an error when reading the CD drive in digital mode. Click OK to switch to analog mode. Click cancel to retry playing in digital mode."

I pushed OK for the hell of it. It locked up again.

Sarah

Jonathan
10-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Sounds like it was burned too fast of a speed and your harddrive does not want to read it. THat may be because your Reader spped is too slow or loss of data on the CD.

I would request it be re-burned at a slwer speed and it should fix it hopefully.

Haunting Copy
10-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Okay. Thanks, I'll try it.

Sarah

Haunting Copy
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I was laughing my arse off watching this one. Talk about watching my own nightmare...

http://blip.tv/file/340692/

Thanks again, Jon.

Sarah

Haunted Illinois
10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
OMG! That is TOO FUNNY!!!