PDA

View Full Version : Check out this ... Haunted House Fire

drfrightner
10-09-2008, 12:55 AM
I found this link to the full blown history of the fire in Six Flags...it tells how how people where charged with murder and everything. This is a great history lesson for all haunters to run a safe haunt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Castle_at_Six_Flags_Great_Adventure

Larry

MMManiac
10-09-2008, 08:51 AM
great article Larry, thanks for sharing...

Even though I am not required to have sprinkler systems in my attraction I thik i might invest in one next year just as added extra safty.

beardedbil
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Here is the documentary video on the fire that happened at six flags

http://www.popartpete.com/page12.html

Jim Warfield
10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
From the account I once read somewhere else, many years ago.
The way I remember it the dead customers were thought to have accidently set the fire with a Bic? (Lighter not pen)
Wikkapedia(sp?) can be changed by contributors? Right or wrong information?

Barry
10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
How about something more current:

Guess we should be thankful that it was not open but there are a few
things in the article that should concern all of us:

"sparks ignited flammable wall decorations such as burlap, flossy
cotton-like artificial cobwebs and plastic wall backdrops"

"Garcia said electricians who were working in the building told fire
marshals that on Tuesday, they were unable to find their way out of
the building because of the haunted house decorations."

Full article:

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/fire_90655___article.html/haunted_house.html

Barry

drfrightner
10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Dwayne from 13th Gate told me about this fire yesterday but couldn't find it on the net... good job Barry.

I'll tell you what...this is scary and a reminder that things like Burlap must be drenched in fire retard because this is exactly what can and will happen if you don't. Hopefully this is another lesson to either not have flamable materials in your haunt or to treat them.

Larry

dshaunt
10-09-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks for sharing guys.

does anybody know of a flame retardant that i can spray onto burlap and plastic used as roofs in a few of our rooms?

bhays
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
thanks for sharing guys.

does anybody know of a flame retardant that i can spray onto burlap and plastic used as roofs in a few of our rooms?

If it's the non fire retardent black plastic, there is nothing you can use on it. And, it makes very dangerous fumes when it burns... americover.com has flame retardant black plastic.

On any other fabrics, a borax/boric acid solution is NFPA approved.

Boni
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Any Fire safety store would have flame-retardant sold by the gallon.

Where I live, Nowak Supply is the closest place in Ft. Wayne, IN. I think its about 45 dollars a gallon (wife bought it this year, she hasn't given me the receipt yet). To get our entertainment permit, we have to have the empty jugs of commercial flame retardant as evidence that we sprayed the cloth or other flamable materials. It only took us 2 gallons to do our whole haunt and we doused the stuff on. Used a one gallon fertilizer sprayer to do it. Fire Marshall was pleased.

Killer Katie
10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
This kind of incident is why I have no problem with the fire marshals inspections. I could never live with any death I could've prevented.

Monster-Tronics
10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh that sucks!!! John is a super nice guy and a good customer of mine. I just talked to him I think last week. I hope he is ok and can get things worked out so he can reopen again.

I don’t pretend to be an expert on flame retardant but not all products work on all materials. Rose Brand has a great chart in their catalog that shows what products work best on different materials. I don’t see the chart on their website but it might be there somewhere.

http://www.rosebrand.com/category16/flame-retardant.aspx

As far as black plastic… this comes up every year, americover.com plastic is only rated for a few months. I have not tried it but I’ve heard it burns the same as regular plastic. Maybe the fumes are not as bad???

I personally hate black plastic and have used Duvetyn instead. Duvetyn is also sold by Rose Brand and comes flame retardant. One of its best properties is that it does not reflect light unlike plastic and can also be sprayed with more flame retardant next year.

Just because you sprayed something once with flame retardant does not mean it good forever. Most good haunts I know go through each year and spray everything down.

31Halloween31
10-10-2008, 10:37 PM
A terrible tragedy to be sure. There have been many haunts everywhere have been delayed or prevented from opening the years due to requirements/violations from the fire marshal. As much as they seem arbitrary and punitive at times it's good that the inspections take place, so nothing like this happens. ;)

Barry
10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Here is a follow-up to the story:

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/fire_90732___article.html/cook_year.html

Front Yard Fright
11-17-2008, 02:15 AM
This is a big wakeup call for me...

We of course are always consious of saftey and we do as much as we can to make sure if anything were to happen, there's an emergency exit near you. However I'm definately going to contact the local fire marshall and have him look everything over to make sure we are nice and safe!