http://www.inelegantsolutions.com/2008/10/top-5-haunted-house-cliches/

I really enjoyed this.

Raycliff Manor
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks Barry. Great article!

Kel

shawnc
10-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Who wrote that? I'm having trouble finding a name on the site.

Killer Katie
10-13-2008, 07:00 PM
This article hits home hard for a lot of the haunts I have worked for. Sometimes there is a mentality of "one is good, 2 is better, 1400 is freakinn awesome!"
SOOOO not the case!
Applause for the author!

Barry
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
The author's name is Jonathan and he has a small neighborhood haunt in New Orleans - berniebaxter.com (http://berniebaxter.com/)

skullman
10-13-2008, 08:27 PM
And this "home Haunt" guy is an expert?

Killer Katie
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I am a professional Haunter and he makes some damn good observations. Just because he does home haunts, doesn't mean he doesn't observe other haunts. He could have an extensive background in haunts and now just keeps himself to his haunt. Do you disagree with any of his points?

Barry
10-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Skullman,
I never called him an expert and I don't think he considers himself one either. I, like Katie, agree with him. I think my business partner Kelly Collins summed it up very succinctly:

"I agree with most of what he is saying. Haunters donít want to hear it, but heís right"

Haunting Copy
10-14-2008, 10:29 AM
It's like in sports. The best coaches were not always the best players, and vice versa.

Same thing with critics - and writers, bwa-ha-ha-ha! ;)

Sarah

Nightgore
10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
It is a great article, his observations are dead-on! Thanks Barry! -Tyler

berniehaunter
10-14-2008, 01:37 PM
My name is Jonathan and I'm the author of the article that was linked. I just wanted to say thanks to Barry for the post and that I'm glad everyone, for the most part, liked it.

Just to be clear though, I don't claim to be an expert on haunted houses. I've been a home haunter for over ten years now, I've worked in professional haunts and I've been through dozens of haunts in Louisiana and South Carolina. Still, I know nothing about the business of running a haunted house, I'm a plagiarism/copyright consultant by trade, and certainly don't want anyone to think that I am trying to sound as such.

I wrote this as an overjoyed ticket-buying haunt fan who, every once in a while, gets hit with a moment that makes me roll my eyes. I was hoping that this article might open the eyes of a few haunt operators and I'm glad that it is getting to the right audience.

Thank you again Barry for the link!

gadget-evilusions
10-14-2008, 01:39 PM
your article sounds 100% true to me.

Dr. Giggles
10-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I actually have to dissagree. Well with the chainsaw portion because it has become apparent to me from observing the chainsaw fellow from our haunt that it does terrify people. The thing is that its well known to other haunt owners and haunt actors its not so well known to the patrons that the blade has been removed. I know this because i conducted a survey on about 300 people who left the trails. They all said that they had no idea and that they were terrifed..but of course i made 300 people wiser to that fact.

Nightgore
10-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Wait! Your supposed to take tha chains off those things? Oooppss! ;) -Tyler

PS: I too think the chainsaws are getting old, when used too much! I went to a haunt where, in the ONE haunt, a chainsaw was used around 4-5 times before it was over? Overuse? Maybe it's time to find some other heart-stopping power tools! A weed-whacker is my favorite!

Dr. Giggles
10-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah our guy is only seen once and at the end to hurry them out of the meat market.

berniehaunter
10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
That's interesting. Maybe there are some haunt goers that aren't aware. It's become something of a joke among my friends and family but I do tend to hang around a rather morbid and haunt-savvy bunch. My numbers may be skewed.

That being said, I do agree with Nightgore that they do suffer from overuse. I haven't seen a haunt THAT bad yet, but one did use it twice, an electric one inside and a gas one outside. Neither worked well.

If I get to toss out a suggestion for new power tool. I'm fond of the lawn mower as from Dead Alive...

"Party's Over..."

skullman
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
It's like in sports. The best coaches were not always the best players, and vice versa.

Same thing with critics - and writers, bwa-ha-ha-ha! ;)

Sarah

You put it in very good prespective Sarah!

Thank you.

drfrightner
10-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I found a lot of truth in this article myself! Great job!

Larry

shawnc
10-14-2008, 04:35 PM
There are a couple of other interesting Halloween articles on the same site.

I agree with the part about spending more at the hardware store than at the Halloween store. That probably applies almost everywhere, from the smallest yard decorations to the largest commercial haunt.

There is also an interesting observation about people laughing right after being scared. That was also in a psychology book I read a while back.

berniehaunter
10-14-2008, 05:05 PM
There are a couple of other interesting Halloween articles on the same site.

I agree with the part about spending more at the hardware store than at the Halloween store. That probably applies almost everywhere, from the smallest yard decorations to the largest commercial haunt.

There is also an interesting observation about people laughing right after being scared. That was also in a psychology book I read a while back.

I agree, it definitely applies everywhere. It was actually my father that got me started on that when I was younger. My first experience scaring people was rigging a five dollar ghost to drop down suddenly using PVC pipe, fishing line and pulleys. Good times.

Glad you liked the articles! I'm probably going to break those off into a new blog soon though, one my wife and I work on together.

Killer Katie
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
One year our boss went and bought a cheap hedge trimmer instead of a chainsaw for a Texas Chainsaw scene. It became the Texas landscaper, and it was scary and funny for all of us and the customers.

Barry
10-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the board Jonathan. It is fun to discuss things like this.

One thing I will say is that customers have come to expect chainsaws. If you don't have them then they are dissapointed. The funniest ting I have seen is when we first used them in the middle of the haunt instead of at the end. Patrons thought that was the end of the haunt! We have conditioned them to expect it at the end. LOL

Killer Katie
10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
As cliche as they may be, like stated before, one good chainsaw scare works. It a "cheap" scare. I will always love it!