PDA

View Full Version : The Legend Lives... when will this ever die?

drfrightner
10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I got this email today...

Hello. I had searched on your website hauntedhousesonline.com in search for a haunted house thats either in Richmond or Roanoke, Virginia. I haven't had any luck on my search either as I'm looking for a haunted house where the admission is about $50 to $60 and if you make it through, you get your money back. I've heard things such as people grabbing you from your group and throwing you in dark rooms by yourself and just scare the holy hell out of you. They also said there was exits throughout the house in case people can't make it through. I don't know if you've heard anything like this, but if you have, please provide me with some information. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

When will this ever die?

Larry

Smiley
10-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Roanoke, Virginia?

I live in Roanoke and there's no such haunt around here! As for neighboring county of Richmond, can't say I've ever heard a haunt of that calibur there either!

Where did this person get their info? :confused:

brad
10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow, thats awesome!

And a coincidence...... cause ther's one of those in Dallas too!

And come to think of it, theres one in Austin, and Houston. Oh, and in Pheonix too!!!!!!!!!

WOW, THESE THINGS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!

But the funny thing is, everyone I talk to has not been to it yet. But all of thier friends have!

-I'm so tired of hearing about these things. I wish people would shut up about these places! It seems like every teenager I talk to, is gonna go to one of these.
And when I try to tell them they dont exist, they get all defensive, and say their friend just went to it.
And then, when I ask them where it's at, they never can give me a straight answer.

Haunted Illinois
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure that urban legend will ever die. I got so many people emailing me that I created a page on my website about it:

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/hoax1.php

Blacksmith
10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
It's an urban legend.
Even here in Winnipeg we have the same sort of story floating around. It's about a family that puts on a haunted house out of an old, abandoned home they bought and the proceeds go to charity.
Funny thing is, I've met people who claim to know people who have gone. They'll swear blind that it's real...

drfrightner
10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Adam,

That was pretty smart on your part... great job!

This story will NEVER end...

Larry

shawnc
10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
That's the great thing about urban legends - they never die because people won't stop talking about them.

I will say that this one seems to be much closer to those who talk about it than most. It's always a friend who claims to have gone to it. With most urban legends it's a college roommate's cousin's friend, or your aunt's next door neighbor's sister.

Haunting Copy
10-15-2008, 06:24 PM
We should make up a non-existent city, give impossible-to-follow directions to the place . . . and see what happens. :cool:

Sarah

dr0zombie
10-15-2008, 06:30 PM
What I don't understand is why no one has built this event. Really, a maze with some weird test to pass from level to level. Eat a cockroach or worms or something for one trial, in the US sing the Canadian National Anthem, or whatever and move on. It would seem you would have the word of mouth traffic almost instantly. Granted, I am not sure it would be all that great of a haunt... but, you would think someone would have given this one a go.....

Darkblood
10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
One of my actors last weekend was telling a few other actors about this haunt...he said he heard it was in Pittsburgh and it was 50 bucks and it's like a ton of floors and too scary and you get your money back if you make it all the way through...
I let them know it's a hoax. I even gave them the website snopes.com...
They were like "oh..."
My old boss in the late nineties kept talking about the same thing...in Pittsburgh...
hehehe...

Barry
10-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I get a few of those emails every year. I think there was the "Urban Legand" haunted house last year or the year before that tried to capitalize on this. I don't know if they are still around or not.

Haunted Illinois
10-16-2008, 04:53 AM
http://www.moneybackhauntedhouse.com/ (Detroit, MI)

Unfortunately this event doesn't really match the Urban Legend. It isn't multiple levels and you don't get your money back if you make it all the way through.

You get your money back if you find a hidden room in the maze, which I was told was about impossible to find, since it was hidden behind a latched door.

Haunting Copy
10-16-2008, 06:26 AM
You get your money back if you find a hidden room in the maze, which I was told was about impossible to find, since it was hidden behind a latched door.

Oh man, that's not even fair, LOL!

Sarah

Haunting Copy
10-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Adam, I went to the Web site for that "get your money back" haunt, but I don't see anywhere on the site where it explains about the hidden room.

Do customers have to go there first to find out what they have to do to get their money back?

Sarah

BruiseMuse
10-16-2008, 07:14 AM
I teach makeup classes, and I always get participants insisting that these houses exist and often claim its a local venue that gives your money back when you make it all the way through (for some reason they keep naming Seven Floors of Hell and the Akron Schoolhouse and Laboratory).

When I mention that it's an urban myth and those haunts don't do that, they insist that their friends went the other night and got their money back or got $50 for making it all the way through.

Howie Slobber Erlich
10-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I started the original money back haunt back in 2000 in Michigan. It was loosely based on the rumored haunt. You had to find the secret hidden room. Once you found it, the actor inside would take a Polaroid of your group. You then took the pic back to the ticket office and received your money back. We would then place the pic on a wall of fame. I did this for two seasons then split from my partner. After seeing our success, many haunts in the area copied us or did a variation of the idea. No one ever recaptured our success.

Now there are three haunts still doing a money back promotion. All of them are just scamming their customers. I have actors working for me that worked at 2 of the other haunts in the past couple years. They all said that there is no hidden room and it's just a scam. None of these haunts post any proof that customers are getting their money back. One of them claims that over 500 customers got their money back last year. In the two years I was involved with the real money back haunted house, over 4000 customers received their money back.

I would be leery of any haunt using this gimmick to attract customers. Most do not receive enough customers to even pull this off without losing their butts.

There are many variations of the story. It has 13 level or 10. You get so much back for completing each level. It's too scary for anyone to make it all the way through. They have live animals you have to walk through. And so on. The first year we did the haunt, we advertised "are you afraid of snakes, rats and spider?" We didn't actually have any in the house but it was a clever catch to link it with the fabled haunt. We also advertised "multiple levels of fear." We were only one story but we scared you on so many levels. Again a clever way to link it as the fabled haunt. We saw 45,000 customers in two years. In this area, that is a lot of customers.

Hopefully, this clears some of this up.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House
DeadlyIntentionshaunt.com

Jonathan
10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I love reading how this topic comes up every year. Great back story Slobber. Would have liked to see that one in the works.

But funny how any board you go to has someone with a variation of the story. but hey, deep down we all love the rumor and breaking the news to someone. hahaha.

DarkTikiEntertainment
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I don't know about the "money back" aspect, but as for the haunted house you can't make it through, I've been hearing about this one (apparently open again this year):

http://www.zioptis.com/not_in_FF_HG/body_not_in_ff_hg.html

"Oct. 12, 2008: More questions are coming in about DEMONIC DEMONS in DETROIT which we VISITED recently but did NOT actually go thru this time. I only went thru ONCE in 1999, alone because my companion could NOT make it past the first grueling obstacle! (see "not in FF/HG" or "Wayne Cty cities A-S") But the owner assured me their dark tunnels are intact for you to CRAWL thru if you're brave enough to try this!"

:confused:

Mike Honcho
10-16-2008, 04:41 PM
There is a haunt right across the Niagra falls on the Canada side and they do this. I have been thru this haunt and made it very easy. The cool thing is that if your too scared you have to scream nightmare and the y let you out . The whole line of customers can hear you and see some scenes of you getting scared . They do give your money back tho

Killer Katie
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
7 Floors of Hell did run a "scam" about getting your money back if you got through the house and made it out a secret door. This was about 3 - 4 yrs ago.
I've always heard of this elusive outdoor haunt that someone's cousin's friend went to in the woods and the trapped them in holes in the ground for hours.
I think if anyone actually did a haunt like this, it would totally blow the myth. Like if someone actually caught a bigfoot or chupacabra, or a clear picture of Loch ness. It would also probably cost millions in liability. (but I would have to go heh heh heh)
And Mike Honcho... your name is just sooooo wrong.... LOL

BruiseMuse
10-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I've been through Nightmares Fear Factory in Niagara Falls several times, and I've never seen them use the money back gimmick. If you get all the way through, they give you a little card that says "I survived Nightmares," but they don't give you your money back. They do keep a "chicken count" tally of all the people that scream "nightmares" and leave before the end.