PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jensen Now Promoting Politics, Not Haunting???

Haunted Illinois
10-19-2008, 11:54 PM
I was suprised to find this:

http://www.joejensenstudio.com/

HauntedPhantom
10-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't know who Joe Jensen is but I'm guessing this is somebody who normally has their website devoted to haunting. Is this correct?

spookologist
10-20-2008, 02:23 AM
He's a guy who ripped off a bunch of haunters a few years back with a sponsorship deal.

Jim Warfield
10-20-2008, 05:15 AM
If a deal looks too good to be true, it usually is. I could never see how that sponsership program could ever work in the first place so no surprise to me when it didn't live up to it's advanced billing.
Didn't some people get paid with the limited funds available but most did not?

JamBam
10-21-2008, 11:55 AM
My issue with the AOL Haunt deal years ago is that we spent a ton of time to prove our impression count based on the strict criteria and didn't expect much other than participation.

But, Joe Jensen went into hiding after claiming that he was ripped off of the $ 50,000 he had received from AOL. And didn't even come clean on that. Hope he stays out of anything I am associated with unless he makes good on the failure he created.

drfrightner
10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
They got paid WAY MORE THAN $50,000.00 FYI... you think those guys did that program for free? They only claimed they would pay YOU from a pool of $50,000.00 they charged AOL a TON MORE!

The whole thing was a rip off from day one... I'm proud of the fact that I helped unravel their lies, along with several other haunters who helped me get to the bottom of their endless lies.

As for Joe Jenson he had a great haunt I visited the place back when it was still Hades, and he's a very creative person but not so great or should I said ethical business man.

Joe was a central figure in everything that was going on when the haunt industry was really forming... thankfully Hauntworld was around back then so people couldn't be snowballed on their website.

If you think things are nasty now you should have been around back when HauntedAmerica and Hauntworld coexisted. WOW...

Haunted America would fade away, Leonard was their main forum guy, but he would later start his own site, and in the end after their last failed attempt to run a haunt they would fade away forever.

Joe was in my opinion a very interesting person and a very creative person... I would welcome him back to the industry, if he'd repay all the money he still owes haunters nationwide.

Larry

Haunting Copy
10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Sooo . . .

AOL paid this Joe guy a bunch of money - more than $50k - to . . . create a program?

Joe promised haunters a cut of $50k, but did not make good on the deal.

That's all I can gather from this thread. :(

Please explain?

Sarah

Infoamtek
10-21-2008, 10:20 PM
This is based on memories, so forgive me if I get details wrong. Joe Jenson and Sharon Marzano worked out a banner deal with AOL to haunters. You put the AOL logo on your ads, flyers, website etc... you would be paid a percentage of the AOL money put up. The more logos, the more money. Unfortunately, Joe got this (ahem) bright idea of first using the money to restart his Hades haunt. He figured that he could pay the money back from the profits. One major problem, the year was 2001. Planes crashed into the World Trade Center, people stayed away from where people would normally gather, Hades tanked. A lot of haunts tanked that year. Joe lost all that AOL money. This became the biggest scandal on the boards for a while.

Jim Warfield
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Joe taking over the microphone at the first Transworld seminar (where everybody just walked in without paying) and said that he took in a million dollars that October?
I thought he was long gone from haunting well before 9-11 happened? Maybe not?
How many Goat-Glue masks would a million dollars buy?
Wow!??
You could put goat glue masks on almost half the population of Chicago! Wouldn't that be something weird and wonderfull?

Haunted Illinois
10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, you have a good memory. Joe Jensenís attraction was indeed held in 2001 at the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park, Illinois. And it was called "Hades' Revenge". I did some digging and found some old info about it.

I remember it being quite an interesting attraction and you could probably describe it as somewhat of a unique haunted house, with a dazzling light show and music soundtracks being the main features of the attraction. As I recall, you walked around on scaffolding, while actors attacked you from various angles, above and below. Quite unique for its time.

And yes, I heard that he took the money from the AOL thing to put into his attraction, hoping the profits would allow him to pay that money back, which turned out to be a dismal failure. Itís a shame, because he was a very creative man. Unfortunately, he made a risky bet with other peopleís money and lost, big time!

drfrightner
10-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Joes event was originally in the Odium or something like that then it moved to the Museum of Science or something... The Odium wanted him back but he didn't pay his bills according to them, after it failed inside the Museum he tried to reorganize at some park. Larry

Ken Spriggs
10-22-2008, 10:41 AM
No Larry, that is only part true....but who cares

This stuff happened years ago..........

Let it die already......

Slain
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Larry's just beating that dead horse he's always talking about...

Ken Spriggs
10-22-2008, 02:43 PM
But the damn horse is already done at the glue factory.

I just know Joe.....and he isn't the scum people make him out to be.
People make mistakes.....boy oh boy do people make mistakes...arrrr

I am sure if we all look at ourselves....there is something we all wish we did different!

drfrightner
10-22-2008, 05:22 PM
First and foremost I didn't bring it up, people are asking questions... follow the thread from start to finish before you claim I'm beating a dead horse. If you follow it from the start people bring it up and several ask questions, I'm trying to answer them.

Secondly, yes people do make mistakes, and several people who rob and steal from people go to jail, just look at people who took peoples savings, or wall street or whatever else...they get prosecuted. The only reason Joe was NEVER prosecuted is because its the haunt industry and no one reported him to the authorities. If we followed the law he would have been prosecuted, it should have been a felony offense and he should have been called to the carpet and paid all those people back. He didn't.

He does not have my respect and neither does he have anyone elses who was taken to the farm by this outfit and since Joe hasn't showed his face a haunt show since all this stuff happened.

If he was a stand up guy he would pay all those people their money.

Either way I'm not beating a dead horse, I'm only answering questions and clearing up facts. And lastly I don't agree with your whole assessment that he just simply made a mistake... no a mistake is something you regret and try to make up for! That didn't happen in this case.

Lastly, who is Paul/Slain to say anything about beating a dead horse, if this was about Keith he'd be up and down and all over it... you want to talk about beating a dead horse that horse was kicked, beaten, sliced, diced, minced, rolled, pounded, scratchd, clawed, scraped, and anything you can think about. What a double standard for sure!

Larry

Greg Chrise
10-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Every haunt I went to had a big AOL banner. It could have been an every year great promotion. It would have had haunt customers every year getting on AOL to see where the haunts are and every year haunts getting money to promote AOL. But, no, the money did not trickle down. either not fast enough or not at all.

Haunting Copy
10-22-2008, 11:03 PM
It sounds like Joe is quite bad with money in general. He probably has trouble with his personal finances, as well.

What would y'all estimate was the greatest amount any one haunter lost?

Sarah

Jim Warfield
10-22-2008, 11:44 PM
but nobody ever gave anyone any money that was to be returned or invested did they?
Put AOL on your tickets and newspaper ads and tell them how many 1,000's of copies were put out there and get a fraction of a cent from each example?
Wasn't this it?

Ken Spriggs
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Ok Jim.......let's ask a few more questions?

How many haunts were involved?
How much did you spend adding AOL on your stuff?
Did you really think money for nothing?
Yes internet deals to make money for nothing are out there.....but come on

$50,000 split by how many haunts?
The most you were going to get was $2000?
Yes it is money.....but none of us went broke because of it did we?

If $2000 is enough to make you broke......maybe your business plan was done by a 2nd grader? Maybe you shouldn't be doing this?

Haunting Copy
10-23-2008, 01:04 PM
No Larry, that is only part true....but who cares

This stuff happened years ago..........

Let it die already......

Lots of things happened years ago. That doesn't mean people can't learn from them now.

Whatever this was, it *happened*. It's not going to go away. Perhaps the best thing for Joe is to have it all on the table. There are always people who are willing to give second chances. Leave it in the dark, though, only for the "scandal" to be discovered later, maybe at a time when he was getting back on his feet, and what person, generous or not, would want to work with him?

Everyone does make mistakes, but those mistakes have to be dealt with, and rarely is it a pleasant feeling.

Sarah

drfrightner
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Ken,

Don't fall into the trap that I was accused of... don't defend someone who clearly stole peoples money, never gave it back, and hasn't showed his face since. As you said what is the point in beating a dead horse. This isn't even an issue... bu as Sarah pointed out people want to learn from the past.

I've been in this industry now for 20 years...wow am I really that old no? Ouch!

I was at the very first industry seminar, went to the tradeshow when there wasn't any haunt vendors, and I've watched it all change.

I think its all changed for the better and that is a good thing. We all learn from the past and in this case people are trying to learn from the past and that is all that is going on here.

Again I think we've done that and lets stop beating this dead horse.

I hope your haunt season is going well.

Larry

Scaren Karen
10-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Please can you tell me why Joe Jensen is being treated harsher than a vendor that we have seen mentioned many times on this board. What this vendor has done is far worse than what Joe did. This vendor took peoples money for product and shipping charges and did not deliver peoples stuff. He says he has made things right with all that were wronged. I know at least 4 individuals that have not been made right. He hasn't taken care of people's interest charges or the fact that people's show were hurt by his actions. Some of these people have been without their money and goods for several years. How long does it take to do the right thing?

The individuals that participated in the AOL program just didn't get money for their impressions, so what? They didn't take money out of there pockets to be in the program, did they? No. So how were they ripped off? They just weren't rewarded for their efforts. Is it a shame that it happened, yes, but not on the same level as a vendor taking peoples money for product not delivered. Fortunately or unfortunately the days of making money off internet impressions is long gone. The fad lasted about 2 years. To those that didn't get your money, and like Ken said best case scenerio the best of the best would have made $2,000, get over it, let it go!!! You are not owed anything, because you were not out anything.

It seems hypocritical to treat one person so badly when anothers behavior has been so much worse.

Scaren Karen