PDA

View Full Version : Scare Factory Gothic Chamber

SinisterControls
10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Anybody familiar with Scare Factory's Deluxe Gothic Chamber? Basically a raised bridge like what you would find in a spinning tunnel but the room rocks back and forth. As it does, various props come at the customer from the side and from zip lines above. All static props, they get their motion from the room rocking. I have an opportunity to buy one brand new still in the shipping crates. I believe they discontinued this item. Anybody have personal experience with one? Quality? Is it effective? Any idea what one of these would go for? I want to do my homework before approaching the seller and have no idea what one is worth. The limited photos I've seen don't show detail very well.

icarian
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
while i don't have experience with this specific prop, i do have experience with several scarefactory items, and EVERY animated item i have worked with from this company has broken down its first season in use, requiring an off season overhaul.

From refurbishing and rebuilding this company's work, i can tell you that most of their effects are rather simple, many are extremely creative, but still simple in their makeup.

hope this helps ;)

HouseOfHorrors
10-28-2008, 05:52 PM
I have had a Gothic Chamber for several years...and it is awesome! It only has 2 pistons that move the chamber from side to side, so as far as problems I really havent had much...other scarefactory props..no comment! lol...

-Tim

SinisterControls
10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
I have had a Gothic Chamber for several years...and it is awesome! It only has 2 pistons that move the chamber from side to side, so as far as problems I really havent had much...other scarefactory props..no comment! lol...

-Tim

Tim,
Any chance you have some pictures handy? Can you hazard a guess at what one might be worth or at least a ball park figure? Appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Scott

UnDeRTaKer313
10-28-2008, 08:03 PM
um wasnt this on one of the tv shows about haunted houses resently? if so it looked amazing

beardedbil
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Not sure if you have seen the video, but here it is:

eytAuM4dfig

Jim Warfield
10-29-2008, 12:04 AM
When I saw one of these in action at Transworld many years ago.
I was also impressed by the price at that time.
I thought that there didn't seem to me to have been much money to go towards a profit, but of course I could be mistaken. Maybe it was a "Show Price" special?
Was it $10,000?

UnDeRTaKer313
10-29-2008, 05:06 AM
just couple thoughts.
personally dosent seam like it would last very long..
also if you had some good lighting and fog in there you could really accent the effect.
i say buy it lol

craigsrobotics
10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
years of maintenance experience with this prop...while it has a well-built frame, there is routine maintenance to be done on this guy...there are poppy characters that fly overhead on a metal track which must be greased regularly. There are 2 pop-up poppys that are activated by infrared signal, and there are poppy's hanging from the walls which spring back and forth with the chamber's rocking movement (patrons tend to pull the arms off them, and you're left with steel rods sticking out). The entire chamber frame pivots on one long shaft and the collars need to be greased at regular intervals. The rocking is controlled with a DL05 PLC for the timing and valve control. There are sensors on each side of the frame which cause the chamber to rock in the opposite direction when activated so as to not have the cylinders bottom-out, or overextend. If the sensors are knocked out of line just slightly by accident or on purpose, the entire chamber will LOCK to one side as the cylinder bottoms out, and you'll need some hefty dudes to unstick it (withe the air off and lines bled). It is a cool effect, and Scarefactory actually had to come and install it...It like putting together a giant erector set. The cylinders are HUGE ( I believe they are approx 3 feet with a 5 inch bore and 2 inch shaft). The unit needs to be bolted to the floor. Oh, and whatever you do MAKE SURE YOU KEEP CONDENSATION OUT OF THE PNEUMATIC SYSTEM!!! Or you'll be pulling apart the valves to clean them, and your chamber will come to a screeching halt...other than that, enjoy...I believe at the time it was purchased (about 6 years ago), it was about $18 G's with the labor to install it...;) Oh, and it doesn't come with a roof...you need to use your own material to cover it. It has one entrance facade and one exit facade and two walls...The whole unit was sold about 3 years ago, and was still working fine.

SinisterControls
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=craigsrobotics;49689]years of maintenance experience with this prop...QUOTE]

Couldn't have asked for a better analysis. Little details like the roof not being included and the air consumption of the massive cylinders are easily overlooked. Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Sounds like its worth looking at but the price will have to be right.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I'll let you all know how it goes.