PDA

View Full Version : How many Hauntworld DVD's are there?

brad
11-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm just now getting to where I'm gonna start buying some DVd's, and wanted to find out how many there were.

Also, besides the Hauntworld dvd's, are there any other dvd's out there that are similar?

Root of Evil
11-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Check out Haunted House Supplies. I am working my way through all the collections, lots of great information in each and I have found they are great poeple to work with.

brad
11-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info.

Uptown Haunts
11-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Howdy,

I bought DVDs a while back. Tons of great information in them. You'll see various "How to" segments, walk throughs of various haunts, interviews and lots more. The DVDs are also tax deductible because they are a legitimate business expense.

Also, check out HauntedAttraction.com. There are DVDs available there too. The more you see, the more you'll learn. If you're a new haunter, this is a great way to develop ideas for your project. I've watched them dozens of times. The detail and illusions you'll see in many of the haunts is phenomenal.

If you're going for 'classic' horror, buy a set of horror DVDs from mail order houses like "Things You Never Knew Existed". You'll get a dozen DVDs in the set which contains about 50 classic movies. A good source for ideas in room/scene design, costuming, characters, etc. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much they will stimulate your mind which makes them worth every penny.

Haunting Copy
11-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Some more . . . :)

http://terrorsyndicate.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=11

Sarah

Lord Barnabus
11-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I believe HauntWorld has 17 videos out. I bought the first 14 and absolutely love them. These videos are worth their weight in gold. You'll want to watch them every so often, as you will notice things you did not see before. I've actually been watching mine since Halloween got over, and I am still learning new things that I did not absorb from the last time I watched them.

brad
11-08-2008, 12:16 AM
OK.

I'm mainly looking for some behind-the-scenes stuff, and some walk-throughs of some of the big haunts. Just to give me some ideas, and get my creative juices flowing.

Uptown Haunts
11-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Brad,

I'm not aware of any videos dedicated specifically to walk throughs or behind the scenes although they may exist. I just haven't seen anything like that as of yet. If you purchase the videos mentioned above, you'll have walk throughs and behind the scenes footage of various haunted attractions as mentioned earlier in this thread with the added feature of haunt professionals explaining tips and tricks of the industry. You'll also see night vision video footage of patrons actually going through several haunts which is a great way to see reactions to scares in various markets. It's also much cheaper than physically going around the country, buying a ticket and going through in person even though the actual experience of walking through would obviously be much more effective.

Everything in haunting begins with a basic idea. What you do with that idea or where you go with it is entirely up to you. Leonard Pickel of Haunted Attraction Magazine has 3 books, which sketch out in basic form, room designs and number of actors needed to do the scares. Philip Morris of Morris Costumes wrote a book which explains how to setup and operate a profitable haunted house. Neither of these books include high tech scares but, both are good, basic idea books.

The bigger haunts are definitely featured in these videos as well as some smaller haunts. Many of the ideas shared also include: building foam walls, marketing, sponsorships, detailing, building props, distractions, mobile haunts, themes, celebrity interviews, haunt actor interviews, etc. No matter what you're looking for in the video lineup, you'll get that and more if you purchase the videos recommended above. I also recommend Leonard Pickel and Philip Morris' books and any others you can get your hands on. You definitely can't go wrong with them.

Nightgore
11-08-2008, 07:35 AM
I personally would not suggest the Pickel books... from my take, not worth the investment. The only thing worth having from Leonard is, well... let's see... it's on the tip of my tongue... oh... OH! The faux painting dvd... that's it. -Tyler

Uptown Haunts
11-08-2008, 08:06 AM
I did mention that they were basic....

brad
11-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I've never really been too fond of Leonard's stuff.

Thanks for the info, Uptown.

Lord Barnabus
11-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree that the Phillip Morris book is basic. I purchased this book and used some of the room designs in my first year, and boy did we get the scares from the patrons. As stated, you can take any idea and grow it into something much more. When I go shopping places, I don't wonder if I need something I see; I look at it and visualize what I could possible make out of it. A lot of ideas are also trial and error. We've tried making various things or scares, and finally had to just do with what we had. Once opening day comes, there isn't much time to fiddle faddle with stuff.

I recommend purchasing any and all things that are haunted house related (videos, magazines, catalogs, etc), plus, these are all tax deductible if you run a haunt business. You can always look at these items over again when you have time, and you will have even more ideas of things to do.

Uptown Haunts
11-08-2008, 01:33 PM
L.B.,

It all adds up to one, great idea after another. Even if Leonard's books are sub par for most people, that doesn't mean they're absolutely worthless. Just the room ideas alone can help to add or replace rooms in your haunt for next year. Let's face it, scaring people is rehashed over and over again. How you set the tone and deliver the scare will vary from one haunt to another. That will depend heavily on your scene, actors, annimatronics, effects, lighting, sound, costumes, makeup, etc.

I guess it's all about "layering". You can layer materials in a haunt (detailed stuff up front, less detailed in the rear) to give the illusion of an actual place and time so why not layer the ideas? All ideas can be mixed with another to give a double or triple scare in one room if you want. Or, it could make that room a little more interesting by not focusing on just one idea. It's really up to our imaginations as to what we do with this information. Even if the basic idea doesn't seem like much in the beginning.

brad
11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I looked around for the Morris Costumes book, and all I found was that the Morris website is under construction.

Uptown or L.B., do either of yall know where else I can get one of these books?

shawnc
11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ2905160QQcpidZ1169642341

Raycliff Manor
11-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Steven said, "I recommend purchasing any and all things that are haunted house related (videos, magazines, catalogs, etc), "

I totally agree! I believe I have just about every DVD I could find, including the HauntWorld videos. It's been said here before, if you use just one idea you get from the video, magazine or book, it's paid for itself, in most cases many-fold! As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to spending the winter going through the videos yet again!

Kel

Uptown Haunts
11-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Ever since I decided to do haunting, I've been researching everything haunt related from numerous sources. Books, magazines, message boards such as this one, DVDs/videos, audio, networking with other haunters, trade shows, etc. I leave no tomb stone unturned.

Reviewing the above sources of information throughout the week has become standard routine. I honestly couldn't tell you how many times I've watched the videos or read the magazines. Too many times to count. Does this make me an expert? Well, I did stay at a Horror Day Inn Express last night.....

Basically, the idea of setting up and operating a haunted house, hay ride, asylum or any other attraction in our market is nothing new. It's the same thing done different ways from one attraction to another. We're all doing the same scares. If you take the basic ideas (like in Leonard's books for example) mentioned earlier in this thread, you'll probably find that they are being used in attractions all over the planet but tweaked to the haunt owner/operator's standards and adjusted to their themes.

The argument that an idea is either good or bad in this particular industry really depends on how it's delivered to your target audience. Look at the information found in books, videos or at other haunts and ask yourself; "What's missing here?" or "How can I effectively work this scare into my attraction?" Hay rides are pretty similar to each other with very few exceptions. One also has to wonder how long it will be before the chainsaw will no longer be scary because it's used just about everywhere. It's expected.....