PDA

View Full Version : HHA member benefits

rwrussom
11-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I realize and appreciate the important role industry associations have in promoting the common and important causes to the group, but going beyond that, are there other member only benefits to the HHA?

With the historically secret nature of the industry I am wondering what other information, not commonly available, a member has access to. Detailed surveys in the past have been tainted at best. Many sites quote the same attendance statistics but never reference the source or date. Open polls on this site are either stayed away from or are simply skewed by the small cross section of the industry that participate on these boards.

I guess what I am getting at it seems almost impossible to get reliable information about the industry. That is surprising and somewhat short sighted which ultimately will do more harm than protecting "trade secrets".

Nightgore
11-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Well... there is a "club" of major money making haunts in this industry that seems to make the decisions for everybody... go to americahaunts.com to view said haunts. Those haunts can't stay on top forever! ;)

But, I think more info about the HHA will be released soon... I think Larry said early 2009 we could expect all the details!

See you at Transworld! -Tyler

rwrussom
11-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Hey Tyler, Im surprised that this did not get more input. Even for vendors, how do they judge the marketplace?

drfrightner
11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I can't answer your question right now because there is another entity that has basically failed to do what should be done for a 500 million dollar industry, which if you add in all these Halloween attractions we're talking about a 1 billion dollar industry. We do not want any of those people who would like to see us fail trying to sabatoge anything we are going to do. So hold onto your horses but...

We need a real association no doubt, but I'm not tipping all the cards, because I'm working with some SERIOUS haunters to get this set up RIGHT the first time, then everything will be layed on the table.

I can tell you we are working on SOME SERIOUS benefits here, but we need bylaws, to incorperate and a few other things first. You can mark my words our goal is to have an association that does what as Tyler put it things that America Haunts has been doing solo.

We have showed you can accomplish many great thigns when you WORK TOGETHER, when everyone involved are on the same page, have the same goals, and objectives. Yes you disagree but the end goal is the same... make our business more successful.

We will have all this together before MARCH, and we'll have a ROLL out event in MARCH at TRANSWORLD for this new association. The associaton itself will probably take over the national PR, and other things but you will still need haunts to sponsor these activities to raise the money to enable the assocation to even do them in the first place.

You will always have sponsoring haunts, but it can be opened up to more haunts or simply members of the association. Once this is together the members can vote for the board, but the board will and must meet a certain level of experience to serve this industry, not just any person who raises their hand.

You want forward thinkers people down in the trenches to dig us out of a deep hole ... we should have done this 5 years ago maybe 10 years ago but we're doing it now and we'll make the best association we can with everyones support.

I PERSONALLY am investing THOUSANDS of dollars of MY OWN money into the creation of this... you will see soon a new logo, new website, goals, objectives, plans, industry directory, vendor discounts all coming soon!

Roll out March 2009... but don't let that stop you JOIN NOW!

www.HauntedHouseAssociation.org (http://www.HauntedHouseAssociation.org)

Larry

MDKing
11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
How about we all work towards setting up some health insurance program for pro haunters, even dental, the works.

Allan

drfrightner
11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Allan I have everything from insurance companies that want to bid on this to group insurance to national PR to safety programs to having a voice in what happens in our industry.

We need people like you ALLEN sitting on the boards and making this stuff happen...

Let me say this folks as we go forward... if this industry truly wants a REAL trade association for our industry, (WHICH NEED FOR SURE) then it takes an effort on everyones part. All the awesome things we've done with America Haunts, or work here on Hauntworld or the just producing the magazine for example aren't things that just happen.

You can't just pay some money and then point fingers you have to jump in and make some magic happen...I can tell you I'm not going to do all the work and neither is Ben Armstrong or anyone else.

We have to set some goals, some objectives and people have to step up to the plate to make them happen otherwise we'll fail like the other group.

This group can't be mandated by one person, it has to be a GROUP effort for a general cause that advances our industry and our business.

Larry

MDKing
11-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Larry, I'm on board let's make it all happen!

Insurance is very essential. I'm sure there are quite a few haunters who are in the position to do haunting full time but have to work regular jobs to maintain the benefits they get there....

See you soon Larry,

Allan

Nightgore
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Along those same lines how about that Haunter Emergency Fund that Rich Hanf has been preaching we do for years? I'd love to see something like that come to the light... I mean darkness! ;)

National PR? How about this... GET YOUTUBE ENVOLVED!!!! Remember how they had the whole election pages where you could check out each candidate... what if we had a youtube set-up page where people could check out haunt videos/commercials... totally sponsored, sat-up, ran, etc. etc. by YOUTUBE.COM!!!! I think that'd be pretty awesome.

Also, I'd love to see a national PR program geared at the online communities like Facebook, Myspace, 2nd Life, etc. etc.

Just a thought or two! -Tyler

stafford
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Excellent point Allen, I hear ya loud and clear on that one. If you need help working on that, I'm game.

Chris

rwrussom
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Tyler, great idea. There's one that can serve a variety of levels of haunt attraction. I know you are hope to be running with the big dogs after not too many seasons. The HHA needs to embrace the variety that exist in the industry, not only cater to the top.

Nightgore
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Exactly my objective of it... BUT... there must be standards for haunts to be featured, both pro and home. To attract customers on a national level, the HHA would have to display simply the best LOOKING haunts... not the scariest, not the biggest, but just the best LOOKING!!! Something a normal person would see and say.. "HOLY CRAP!! I WANT TO GO"... then they are more likely to go to a local haunt! -Tyler

Nightgore
11-22-2008, 09:22 AM
So.... I paid the membership and joined... and I got:

-NO EMAILS
-NO NEWS
-NO CONFIRMATIONS
-NOTHING!!!

So far, NOT SO GOOD! Hmmmm..... -Tyler

rwrussom
11-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Same for me. I thought there would be access to members only content etc. Not even an email.

Nightgore
11-24-2008, 08:11 PM
BUMP!

Hopefully Larry see's this! :( -Tyler

drfrightner
11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Tyler,

You got a magazine subscription, and the industry got a very successful PR program, which I tirelessly worked on for two months while my haunt was open.

Put all of that aside here... I have things in the oven. I don't want to start this like IAHA got started, where a bunch of people just raised their hand and said 'we're in'. I want to do this right and the right rollout will be at Transworld Show in March.

I'm working on ALL OF IT... a new website, a haunted house directory JUST FOR HHA members on the site, meaning not the hauntworld directory, a buyers guide, a board, bylaws, a game plan to make our industry better, stronger and more successful.

I'm recruiting help on this as we speak... trust me it is all going!

Updates will start coming in in the month of December.

Larry

PS: How about this as a sign things are moving? This association can't have any Hauntworld pumpkin man, hauntworld data bases nothing. This has to be for the industry, run by the industry, for the industry, so everything has to be redone.

That starts with logos, and everything else.

Nightgore
11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the clue in Larry, at least it's somewhat comforting to know what's going on!

Transworld eh... is this the big HHA meeting during TW? Good... Keep us up on when and where! -Tyler

drfrightner
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
What did you think of the basic logo...there is a bigger one but not showing that one yet. I'm doing all of this right now all the basic things that must be done to get this off the ground. Once its really going I would assume a membership might cost $200.00 or more.

Some of the plans include national heath care, national PR, education committees, annual meetings, haunt directory, to maybe all sorts of other things like producing national television shows to who knows what.

Its all being debated. It will all play out soon.

Larry

Nightgore
11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Sounds good to me! So, is the $50 join in like a discount now... like an early bird type thing?

Starting to get excited! -Tyler

drfrightner
11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
The $50.00 was more of a fee trying to figure out who really wants to get this going... I gave the subscription which is $30.00 of it, and I plan on printing a phone directory as well. The reality is I'm putting a lot of money into this now creating a new website, logos and everything else.

There will be fees paid to attorneys and other stuff to incorporate, blah, blah.

Its all costing money more than we've taken in thats for sure! LOL

So yes to answer your question... once the real association takes off it will cost a lot more because of the benefits and the things that will attempted and taken over by this association.

America Haunts showed the way, it showed how it can and should be done, and what could be accomplished if you put your money into something, supported it, and well created by a group of like minded people. Now its time for the industry of owners and operators to take this to the next level.

Larry

Nightgore
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Sweet... then let's do it! Let's take it to the NEXT level! Can't wait for TW! -Tyler