PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Coil or something of the like?

NightmareAftershockLLC
11-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Has anyone played with high voltage (low amps) and actually pulled it off in a haunt? I know that I've seen coil to coil electricity that makes an unbelievable noise, not only scary as hell, but it certainly puts you in your place quickly... Now granted, I KNOW it's nothing to mess around with unless you're a professional electrician, but I'm sure someone is around that has pulled it off, even with a few engineers' help....

I'm certainly not even remotely considering this near patrons, I'm taking above their heads, we're talking 15 feet above them....

Eh, just rambling.. but if anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it...

-Keegan

Jim Warfield
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
One was for sale years ago at Transworld, pretty expensive, very impressive. The main drawback I thought was that it required a 220/50 amp breaker to operate.
Do most of us have an extra 50 amps in our electrical box just for one item?

shawnc
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I always thought they were kind of cool but never looked at building one.

Here is a link to a haunt that has one, with some questions and answeres that mention it.

http://www.findhauntedhouses.com/featured_artical/Feature_the_legendary_haunted_schoolhouse.cfm

NightmareAftershockLLC
11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I kinda got the idea from that article, and I have worked with a faraday cage before as well, as far as protecting those who are near the voltage...

Thanks for the input Jim and Shawn...

I'm just tossing this around... Still reading up on it.. and I don't want to steal Haunted school house's idea.... just wanted to see what kind of market was out there for setting that up... As far as Western PA, I have yet to see a house with this idea...

-K

NightmareAftershockLLC
11-13-2008, 08:21 PM
http://www.hauntedschoolhouse.com/images/LAB/sm_elect_3.jpg
This is their setup here... Photo taken from HauntedSchoolHouse.com

Kinda what I'm looking at... =)

bhays
11-13-2008, 08:54 PM
We've run a very large coil at our haunt for three years now in our Frankenstein scene. It does tend to get quite a reaction, it's about the same size at the Studio Tek model they were selling at Transworld a few years ago. Jim Upchurch had one installed at his Eleventh Hour in Chicago as well.

Here's a picture of our coil in operation.

NightmareAftershockLLC
11-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Brett, I am really impressed! Looks amazing... what kind of cost are we talking here? I'm kind of naive on prices of larger electronics, so pardon my ignorance....

Also, who installed it (i.e. professional electricians)? Any risks involved?

Sorry to ask so many questions.. but I love the idea...

And do you have it set on a pressure pad or something of the sort in a dark room to scare the pants off of people?

Thanks!

-Keegan

Jim Warfield
11-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Some of the pieces thast were used to make the one I saw looked like about 8inch sheet metal adjustable elbows, like you might find on your basement ductwork with copper tubing wrapped around some of it.
They could send a bolt of electricity across the room and penetrate a piece of paper without setting it on fire.
Cut out a jagged lightning bolt from junk plexiglass and hit it with a strobe and lightning sound effect and fool everyone in a dark room.
This would keep your electric bill down versus a real one.

shawnc
11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Seeing the photos brings up a question: Does anyone know how to fake one, or a company that makes something that has the same effect without the cost, danger, and ongoing costs?

Greg Chrise
11-13-2008, 11:02 PM
A guy named Bob jumping around jiggling Christmas tinsel, making crackling noises?

Nightgore
11-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow... I never thought of adding one of these to a haunt! This is a very cool idea! Hmmm..... must research! -Tyler

Jolly Pumpkin
11-13-2008, 11:23 PM
You can check out the video I took while at The Haunted Laboratory this year in Akron, OH. Now this is one of the most amazing Tesla Coils you will ever see and the one they have on top of their building is pretty impressive also. But they only use the one on top of The Haunted Laboratory when the weather is near perfect. Any little bit of moisture will ruin the effect.

nhlnuDKmGh0

http://ohioshaunted.com/?v_action=hlvideo

Monster-Tronics
11-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Love those big Tesla Coils!!!! We were hoping to make it to the The Haunted Laboratory this season but didnít get a chance to go. Now Iím really peeved.

Brett, does your Tesla Coil cause electrical interference with other props, sound or security radios? I had a haunt talk to me about having such problems with theirs but I didnít get a chance to look at it. Without seeing it I suggested shield wiring and a few other things.

If this is a common problem the correct placement in a haunt would be critical and something to be considered.

Regards,
Jeff Londos
Monster-Tronics
Innovators in Haunt Technologies
www.Monster-Tronics.com
Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
www.halloweenhauntvendors.com
www.youtube.com/MonsterTronics

bhays
11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Brett, does your Tesla Coil cause electrical interference with other props, sound or security radios? I had a haunt talk to me about having such problems with theirs but I didnít get a chance to look at it. Without seeing it I suggested shield wiring and a few other things.

If this is a common problem the correct placement in a haunt would be critical and something to be considered.

It doesn't affect any of the other prop controllers, cell phones are fine... two way radio... fugettaboutit... In fact we are located in an industrial park around the city airport.. I have always wondered if we cause problems with avionics... <grin>