PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKING, SAD, UNREAL... Haunt Actor Killed in hautned house

drfrightner
11-13-2008, 10:18 PM
This is very sad especially if you watch the video...

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7840755&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

drfrightner
11-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Here is a link to the haunted house in Atlanta...

http://psychoshack.com/

Killer Katie
11-13-2008, 10:36 PM
It's this exact kind of freak accident that warrants my "safety monitor" ways and why I get pissed if the staff paid to walk through and check on the actors doesn't do their job. My heart bleeds for this family, my thoughts and prayers are with her.

xxxdirk
11-13-2008, 11:29 PM
This hits on so many levels, being a haunt owner you never want to see anyone get hurt or injured at your haunt both for legal reasons as well as because we try to design things so they are safe.
Then as a parent, and how you worry about your own kids when they are out.

My heart goes out to all concerned...

spookologist
11-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Hey Larry,

Maybe this is a good time for our haunt community to come together and do something for the family. $50 from each haunt would go a long way. Maybe Ben can find out more information since its in his neck of the woods.

Wayne
www.trailofterror.com

drfrightner
11-14-2008, 02:53 AM
What is totally upsetting to me is that this haunt on the front page of their site says something about thanks for a great year check back for info on 2009.

Where is the dedication to this kid, their actor, some mothers child?

If this happened to me, which I hope it NEVER happens, I would personally be devestated, and would reach out to the family, and at the very least a dedication would be listed on the front page of my website.

I have two kid, and the mere thought of losing my ONLY SON while working on the job might cause me to jump off a cliff, I doubt I could ever sleep, I'd probably throw up each day, and cry 10 times a day.

I'd be heartbroken! I really feel sorry for this mother who must go on without her baby! I would love for someone to get in touch with the mother and let me know if you can get a number anything.

I want to run a dedication for this HAUNT ACTOR and I'm sure he was one of the best, in the next magazine! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Will the owners of this attraction STAND UP and dedicate your website to YOUR OWN ACTOR? Come on!

Larry

BruiseMuse
11-14-2008, 07:41 AM
That's just tragic and sad. I can't beleive the haunt doesn't have some sort of "In Memory" mention to him.

Safety is one of the most important aspects of a haunt, and I understand accidents happen, but for a young actor to lose his life is devastating.

Larry, I like your idea of running a dedication to him. I couldn't imagine the pain the mother is going through and I wish there was a way we could help.

Howie Slobber Erlich
11-14-2008, 09:03 AM
This is indeed very sad. Things like this should not happen. I was shocked as well that there is no mention of this tragic incident on their web site. It is possible that their lawyer told them not to post anything at this point. I am sure there will be law suits stemming from this. But they could have at least put up some sort of memorial.

We had a customer die in our haunt a few years ago. He had a heart attack. His family later explained that he had a very serious heart condition and should have never gone through the haunt in the first place. I still feel bad to this day about it. We offered the family a dollar from every ticket sold that year. They refused the money, stating they did not blame us for what happened. I still keep in touch with his wife from time to time. This haunt should at least offer to pay for funeral expenses. It's the least they can do.

I don't know if I could live with myself if this had been one of my actors. I think of them as my kids and they call me dad. How horrible.

My thoughts are with his family.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

shawnc
11-14-2008, 09:09 AM
The video on the front page of someone being executed seems in poor taste right now.

SomeThingInTheIce
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Ya I saw that too. They should pull it for awhile a least.

What is totally upsetting to me is that this haunt on the front page of their site says something about thanks for a great year check back for info on 2009.

Where is the dedication to this kid, their actor, some mothers child?

If this happened to me, which I hope it NEVER happens, I would personally be devestated, and would reach out to the family, and at the very least a dedication would be listed on the front page of my website.

I have two kid, and the mere thought of losing my ONLY SON while working on the job might cause me to jump off a cliff, I doubt I could ever sleep, I'd probably throw up each day, and cry 10 times a day.

I'd be heartbroken! I really feel sorry for this mother who must go on without her baby! I would love for someone to get in touch with the mother and let me know if you can get a number anything.

I want to run a dedication for this HAUNT ACTOR and I'm sure he was one of the best, in the next magazine! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Will the owners of this attraction STAND UP and dedicate your website to YOUR OWN ACTOR? Come on!

Larry

drfrightner
11-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Ya I agree with Thin Ice or something... don't just leave that website up with 'Thanks for a great year see you in 2009'. How great was the year, when one of your actors was killed inside your haunt?

Larry

Jim Warfield
11-14-2008, 01:30 PM
I was told a story about a haunted house, as in haunted by the supernatural, where a man fell part way down the basement stairs when the locked basement door suddenly opened, his neck got tangled in a drooping electrical wire and he was killed.
Was it a freak accident? Or did some customer take things too far?
A dark place where numerous loud noises and screams fill the air and fake blood is everywhere sounds like a real murderer's dream location.
I noticed their employment ad said you had to be 18 , didn't they say the victim was only 17?

SomeThingInTheIce
11-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Recignition from Ceasar

DarkTikiEntertainment
11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I can understand from a business standpoint that they might not want to advertise that someone was killed inside their attraction, but I agree that "Thanks for a great season" is in poor taste. I hope that in-private they are doing all they can for the boy's mother. This is such a sad situation.

I agree with Jim too... the circumstances make you wonder if it was strictly an accident.

drfrightner
11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I will say this much and that is there is no way everyone doesn't already know about it so why hide it on your website? I agree with you that no you don't want your business ruined over what was an accident but really we don't know if it was or wasn't yet because they are still investigating.

Why was something hanging in the first place that could hurt someone ... this could have happened to a customer or an actor. I really don't know what happened so I really shouldn't say but I'm sure it will all come out in the end.

I hope that on the part of the haunt itself they did nothing wrong, and it was just an accident that no one could have expected, I really do, not only for their sake, but for this boys mothers sake. You don't want to go on the rest of your life thinking about how someone did something unsafe that caused your son to die, you'd much rather know it was something like a freak accident.

I wish NO ill will onto the haunt itself, but to say thanks for a great season come back and see us in 2009 is totally heartless. If one of your actors died of a heart attack or in a car accident you know you'd put something up, so I guess because you want to look out for your own ass you dont...

If anyone knows how to contact the mother please let me know.

Larry

Jim Warfield
11-14-2008, 06:39 PM
If I needed to change anything on my website right now, it would not happen because I know almost nothing about building or modifying websites, my Wife does these things.
If she was unavailable I too would look uncaring because of my lack of web skills.
Unfortunately I think there would be a large number of shallow young people who would attend the Psycho Shack next October BECAUSE someone actually died in it.
Morbid thrill-sekers?

One Memorial Day, 1961?, TWO men drowned in Timber Lake!
The owner said he thought, :There just went my whole summer swimming season, no one will want to come here!"
WRONG! The place was mobbed after that over and beyond normal numbers BECAUSE they all wanted to see where those guys died.
A sad but common failing of the human species, maybe.
The blood and gore can be dripping off our elbows, as long as it's not our blood, everything is just "entertainment"! Something to talk about.

REDRUM
11-14-2008, 08:00 PM
I feel so bad for the family and friends of this poor kid....

Hey Larry,

Maybe this is a good time for our haunt community to come together and do something for the family. $50 from each haunt would go a long way. Maybe Ben can find out more information since its in his neck of the woods.

Wayne
www.trailofterror.com

Great idea Wanye.

Those of us that can should make a donation for a memorial and/or for the family of this actor.

If anyone finds any type of existing memorial fund for this kid before we do please let us know.

REDRUM
11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I was able to find his obituary here:

http://www.memorialsolutions.com/sitemaker/sites/highto1/obit.cgi?user=christopher-lumpkin

It indicated that in leu of flowers donations could be made to Turner Job Corps. Let me know if anyone wants to pool some money together and make a donation from the haunt community.

drfrightner
11-15-2008, 04:25 AM
I encourage EVERYONE to sign the guestbook on this site, and help this greiving mother feel better. I did I saw that Tim Dunne also signed the guest book.

Please sign the guest book!

This situation is just very depressing!

Larry

drfrightner
11-15-2008, 04:48 AM
Notice to everyone... I was contacted by the owner of Psycho Shack and they want everyone to know they did nothing wrong, and due to the investigation they don't want to comment about the situation which I can FULLY understand.

I will not repeat what they said really happened, I think what is important is to allow the investigation play out and that will tell the tale.

Either way I informed the owners of the Psycho Shack if I was them, I would remove all the sexy photos of girls, that pounding rock music, and the statement about how great the season was, and put up some kind of statement and for them to offer their support to the family.

I also can understand they don't want to comment, do interviews and all the rest but they will be presumed guilty or even seem uncaring by not offering something. If I was in their shoes I would be signing the guest book, I would be offering support, and I would put up some kind of statement of support to the family on the website.

Their website will be visited RIGHT now by people who might never have gone to the attraction and what they will see is NOTHING but whats there, and this will make them look like they don't care.

Hey this is something you can never expect to happen to you, and we don't always know what to do in these situations and this is why you need advice from the community.

Larry

fearfaktor
11-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Just in case nobody has noticed, they did change some things on their website. It appears that they took some of Larry's advice.

brad
11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Yep, they now have a little picture of Christopher in character, and it says "In memory of..."

Also. I already went and signed the guestbook.

If there is a memorial fund set up for him, someone please PM me so I can make a donation.

screamline studios
11-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Some things in life are never fair and in this case is just plain bullshit!!!! For the life of me i still cannot figure how he died in some sheets?? was he off the ground??? did he do something he shouldnt have OR and i hate to say it did he commit suicide??? this is so fucked up i just cannot believe it....

Jason Blaszczak

Boni
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Now they have a picture of the young man in costume and then the caption "forever in our hearts" underneath.

I think this is very well done. No need to mention how he passed away, no standard head and shoulder shot, but instead a photo of him in costume having fun.

Speculo
11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
This is all so sad, and tough for the haunt as well. I know them they are good guys...I am sure this is just some sort of terrible fluke accident.

damon carson
11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I agree with Larry fully on this matter they need to get alot of things straight with this website ect. They need to show some respect for this tragedy.
Damon

Gahaunter
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't post that much around here anymore but I feel like it's my time to jump and say something. I've read just about as much of this as I can take and after reading Damon Carson's last remark (being just a day ago) makes me sick!

It is a horrible thing that has happened, but it could have just as easily happened at any of the big haunts like The Darkness, Netherworld, Spooky Woods, or even any other small town local haunt. So consider yourselves all lucky that not many of us has had to deal with a tragedy of this magnitude.

First and foremost, HOW DARE ANY OF YOU, insinuate that this TRAGEDY is being taken lightly by the owners of this attraction! Ben is right. The owners are upstanding people and one of the owners happens to be a friend of mine. As a matter of fact, as Larry even stated, he went out of his way to personally to speak with him about what happened. I think that shows upstanding character and wanting the truth to be out. Apparently, that still isn't good enough for some of you who'd love nothing more that tear down one of your own! Some industry!

When this young man passed the very FIRST thing they did was put up a tribute to him on their myspace page, which anyone can up date. Obviously, it would be the fastest. It was immediate. Not one of you mentioned that! Convenient! Everyone was too busy throwing stones and looking to place blame. Did this show they didn't care? I think it showed just the opposite.

Then there was more outcry for them not updating their main website fast enough. We all know sometimes it takes longer to get your web people to pull stuff together fast enough. This can be witnessed by the years old glut of old haunt websites that were no longer in existance that Larry just removed this year!
Not to mention the fact that they had to seek legal counsel on what should and should not be discussed, said, or publicized!

Then there was flack about them having loud music, sexy girls, and staging an execution (with the help of a local radio station publicity stunt) being in horrible taste. News flash- This was on the before this young man lost his life. Nothing wrong with it when everythings hunkey-dorey the other 365 days of the year ,but let something occur like this and then everyone turns on them and they are suddenly villified! Unbelievable.

Then at Larry's good advice, they remove most of the content that could be misconstrued as obejectionable and post a picture tribute to this young man on their front page and Damon you still bitch! Really?!? What further expression do they need to present to show that their GRIEF is real?

I was fortunate enough to go through this haunt several times during the season and guest act Halloween night becuase I did not get to open this year. They had to pass inspections like everyone else, they train their actors in safety like everyone else (and believe me they are sticklers for this), they had to obtain insurance like everyone else. They are just like you and me. They were dealt a devestating hand their second year in operation but as I have stated above things like this do happen and they could happen to you.

Put yourselves in their shoes for a minute. They foster an intense group of commraderie in the cast. It's like many of you do. Basically, a 'haunt family'. Do you not think this affects them both personally and professionally? They are greiving as well but pending an outcome are not legally allowed to speak freely about it. Do you not think they lose on both ends? This weekend is their wrap-party and you can be assured there will be an out-pouring of love for this young man, killed so tragically in his youth. How about a show of support for both this young man, his family and one of our own "haunt family", namely PsychoShack. Stop making them sound like evil unfeeling bastards and realize they are hurting as well!

How well would you have handled this? What proceedures does your haunt have in place in case some dies tragically? Never thought of adding that to your employee handbook or Standard Operating Proceedures manual, did you?

Gahaunter

xxxdirk
11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I have been following this post and I agree with gahaunter. Seems in this day and age, it is way too easy to read about something on a board and respond without thinking things trough. Many times, because you do not know a person or situation, you can respond at the comfort of your keyboard, knowing you are to a certain extent not known.

I can not imagine losing one of my actors and it would be tough to handle. My love and support goes out to the cast, the haunt owners and the family of this kid.

Jim Warfield
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
At making fun of death and life-threatening situations. Maybe it's reality is kept at bay this way for many of us.
It is inevitable for us all, our final day, hour, moment ...not something most of us wish to dwell upon.....
I don't think anyone here really , down deep thought there was any calousness of heartlessness on the part of the haunt owners, people most of us have never met and probably will never know...but as haunters we do "know" the type of a person it takes to work and struggle long, long hours to be doing this thing we do and the bad apples found doing this , I believe are really pretty rare and rot up and dissappear quickly.....
Keyboards can make us seem abrupt and blaming, when if it was a person to person, in person exchange, the tone of the voices and the expressions of body language and facial expressions might more bridge such a gap of misunderstandings.
The slim chance that the deceased young man or his memory was somehow neglected or abused by others is what I think might have raised the concerns here as so many of us do care alot about others , especially those we work with ,doing this thing we all do.

Raycliff Manor
11-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I've been looking at this thread periodically and I've just not known how to respond. It's so easy to be misunderstood on a forum, and especially when addressing such a sensitive issue. Like many of the other haunt ownersmentioned, it would kill me to have an Actor killed in our attraction.

Ben wrote: "This is all so sad, and tough for the haunt as well. I know them they are good guys...I am sure this is just some sort of terrible fluke accident."Ben is so right. This is also sad for the attraction owners.

Ron said it so well, "My love and support goes out to the cast, the haunt owners and the family of this kid." Having had an Actor assaulted and seriously injured our first year, I can only say that I empathize and send my thoughts and prayers to the haunt owners, fellow Actors, and the family as well. I almost shut down Raycliff Manor after the incident we had the first year. Wow, I really do feel deeply for all involved and I would hope that my industry would hold me up in such a situation.

Larry, thanks for working with the owners of Psycho Shack and for offering to assist. Please let them know that there are a lot of haunted attraction owners standing behind them as industry brothers and sisters and that they have the prayers and support, as well as shoulders and ears, available.

Kel

damon carson
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Ga,
I was only agreeing on Larry saying to the owners about removing unsuitable material on there website ect. Im sorry if you feel you must attack me for agreeing with someone who knows way more on how to run a haunted house than you. Why you got to attack me and not Larry.?! No balls! Im not bitching! Im sorry you think that! Im sorry this happened I dont think any, customer, actor, owner or anyone else for that matter should die in a haunted house. Its very unfortunate that this did happen to this individual though. Thats all I have to say.
Damon

drfrightner
11-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Let me respond here to GaHaunter.

Thanks for your update on this matter.

I would have to agree with you 110% when something like this happens you have no clue what to do, you are in SHOCK! Hey a couple years ago I had something bad happen at the Darkness something I never in a million years thought would ever happen, and I wasn't sure exactly what to do myself.

Now having gone through an ordeal I know what I would do different. I'm sure this experience has educated all haunters including yourself. So I 110% understand you situation and I'm sure the first thing you think about is everyone is going to blame you, maybe someone sues you, you never know and to some degree you can be scared.

I think ALL haunters could have the same exact thing happen to them, just like any and all haunted houses could have a fight outside their doors, get robbed, or whatever. You are 110% correct!

Now that I know more of the facts I think you guys have nothing to worry about but you still have to worry about how the media and a sad mother will spin this on you even though you didn't do anything wrong. The public is always quick to judge you, by the actions you take, or don't take.

In this case and I hope it was a lesson learned for everyone, what should have been done the minute you closed was at the very least put up some sort of announcement that one you will always miss your one of your very own crew mates.

The media is not fair my friend, they love these type of stories, and to be honest I think you did the BEST THING by NOT speaking on camera, giving ANY interivews, and simply let the investigation play out and let the media follow up on the facts once they are presented.

You did the right thing here.

But knowing the media was going to do a story, you should simply issue a statement of remorse, and support for the family so you can't be misquoted or taken out of context. Your website is the perfect place for this statement.

In the end you did was was right by removing those remarks about a great season, and adding some images of the boy, your support for his family.

While the investigation is going on and until its over more stories can and probably will appear, so keep those comments up and tone down gore photos and things like that so no one thinks you are being anything but supportive. That is my advice.

Listen my friend I back you guys 110%. I'm so HAPPY you sent me an email to inform me of what happened, and I hope this will all play out and media reports will be corrected. And yes I agree this could have happened to anyone but as an industry I hope we all learned how best to handle it.

Larry

drfrightner
11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
One last thing... I'm very proud of the haunt industry adding their thoughts and prayers to the guest book! I read them all! I'm sure this will make the mother and father feel a lot better! Larry

Gahaunter
11-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Damon,

I did not "attack" anyone, as you say. My thoughts were to everyone on the board, Larry included! The fact of the matter is, you were the person who after everything was said and done, after the owners took everyone's advice, after they removed all the offending material from their website and even after the thread died down and Ben posted a nice remark, had to go and add "fuel to the fire". So why did you have to go and agree with Larry AFTER the fact? It was stated by Larry and others that is was settled and they did everything asked of them. Needed someone's words to hide behind?

It seems to me you just had to create more negativity! Why nothing POSITIVE to say about the way the owners handled the changes to the site or a nice remark about the young man who had died? No! You had to start it up again so, I responded to you personally. Can't take the heat? Stay out of the kitchen!

If Larry had made more disparaging remarks, or reopend the wound as you did, I would have said the same thing to him as well. The difference between you and Larry is that HE could see that everyone was being too harsh without knowing THE FACTS and was finally satisfied with the owners handling of this and the outcome. He stopped to inform the thread that he had been in contact with the owners and was convinenced of their sincerity. YOU just wanted to pour lemon jucie on an opened wound again. Larry has way more tact and diplomacy than you, obviously.

I don't know you from Adam, Damon but you seem to be someone who is not happy unless you're stirring the pot. Point in case, your current reply. You didn't work at this haunted house, you still DON'T KNOW what happened, and after the thread settled down you just wouldn't let it go, even now. Uninformed, ignorant, opinions are the worst kind! That makes you no better than the news media.

Now you've waited days after my post to respond again. Did it take you that long to think of what to say or get the courage to write it out? I'm just asking becuase you've been on Hauntworld several times commenting on other threads and posts since then, yet nothing on this one till now. Then you have the nerve to say I have "no balls". Interesting. Childish, but interesting.

While I'm on your "no balls" remark, I'm going to take the high road as this is an industry forum, but if you'd like, you're welcome to PM me and we can talk about my "set" (LOL) in private or maybe you'd rather make that remark FACE To FACE sometime like St. Louis or Hauntcon?

I simply came here as a friend of one of the owners to try and clear the air. Your post was HIGHLY INFLAMMATORY after the fact, and I responded to you. Sorry if you feel singled out! Maybe in the future, you should watch what you write if you can't take listening to other people's replies. You're weren't afraid to chime in with you .02 but you sure don't want to hear anyone else's either. Nice double standard.

Btw, Larry-

You keep addressing me by saying "you", confusing me with the owners of the haunt in question, in your last comments. I am not the owner of Psycho Shack just a friend of theirs. Easy mistake though. Just thought you would like to know.

Gahaunter

damon carson
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Well I dont wish to make this a long drawn out thing. I dont ever post anything negative. Im always joking or have something I try to type to either help or make someone have a laugh reading. Im sorry you dont see what Im really typing. Maybe we should just drop this because this is really ridiculous. I will be at Transworld. But I dont go to fight someone who wants to act inmature or just go off on anyone they possibly can over a typed post. Im man enough to say Im sorry if what I typed upset you. In the future dont worry about what I type if what you think or say on here is negative. Because it isnt! Your the only one to ever say that. Im not gonna post on this thread anymore either. Like I said it was unfortunate this happened. I said I felt for the owners of the haunt, and the boys family. I dont think this young actor mother or family would approve of anything thats going on with this particular thread the way it is now.
Damon