PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned this year

Boni
11-14-2008, 12:00 AM
What lessons did you learn this year?

What improvements do you plan for next year?

Front Yard Fright
11-14-2008, 12:32 AM
One really important lesson I learned this year is that there ARE jerks out there and THEY WILL try to steal stuff! Next year I'm definately going to make sure I have more security!

I also learned that the art if distraction is an amazing tool! We had a couple parts in our haunt where we had something cool to look at on the right, and from the left came the scare. We also had a black hallway full of smoke with a laser shining down the hallway casting a lightshow through the fog, the out of no where a switch is flipped and you're right in front of a prison cell with an actor running a metal rod up and down the bars of the cell... Got countless screams and compliments from this simple scare! I'm definately going to utilize more distraction scares for 09!

phreakout
11-14-2008, 01:05 AM
to make sure ythe chainsaw has enough gas before the haunt starts :P

its not easy trying to fire up a chainsaw with no gas. i was so embarressed!

Boni
11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Hey Larry, I'm curious what someone like you, an experienced haunted house owner, learns on a yearly basis. What was something you noticed this year that you are going to fine tune for next year.

Help us new guys move up the learning curve.

Boni
11-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I am sure this is obvious to more experienced guys, but something I learned this year is to keep my scene's small. I had a huge warehouse to use, we used a hospital theme. One of my surgical rooms was nearly as big as a real surgical room, I did not have enough props to fill the space, next year my surgical room will barely be bigger than the gurney the patient is laying on. I want to make the guest up close and personal with the actor, and then bring in the Dr. from a small hiding spot behind them, or above the patient, but very close.

So my biggest lesson learned this year is, keep things tight.

hoffie08
11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
i had a gravestong out the night before and i work up the next day and it was gone. it was tied around my mail box so i know the wind did not do it i was so mad.

bhays
11-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I am sure this is obvious to more experienced guys, but something I learned this year is to keep my scene's small. I had a huge warehouse to use, we used a hospital theme. One of my surgical rooms was nearly as big as a real surgical room, I did not have enough props to fill the space, next year my surgical room will barely be bigger than the gurney the patient is laying on. I want to make the guest up close and personal with the actor, and then bring in the Dr. from a small hiding spot behind them, or above the patient, but very close.

So my biggest lesson learned this year is, keep things tight.

I learned that lesson a couple of years ago myself. We moved into our current building (a warehouse) and I went wild with big rooms....

Of course, our scenes are all small now and we are still running out of room ;)

UnDeRTaKer313
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
we learned that the green wick burns a lot faster than the red wick. =)