PDA

View Full Version : Godfather Interview...Check this out!

drfrightner
12-11-2006, 11:20 AM
The 'Godfather' of our industry was interviewed recently...see what he has to say about Transworld. I personally don't think 'Transworld' is a 'retail' show in regards to the Haunted House industry. He says in the interview that Transworld is just a retail show, and his is the haunted house show.
Not trying to pick a fight with anyone, but this is false information big time...Hauntcon has like ONE row of vendors, and they don't have the mega vendors like Scarefactory, Unit 70, and so forth. What does he mean by Transworld is not a haunted house show.

Transworld has more haunted stuff to buy than anywhere in the entire WORLD...maybe a pumpkin fell out of the sky in October and hit him on the head. I also still love how he refers to himself as the 'Godfather' of our industry, or should I say have 'OTHERS' refer to him as the 'Godfather'.

Funny interview check it out...

http://leon.magnify.net/item/CVNZVGH0XYPPN47K

mindtumor
12-12-2006, 11:02 AM
He does make some odd comments in this interview. I like Transworld and don't really see where it is only a retail convention.

SSP
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Sounds like Hauntworld vs. Haunted Attraction. Alright boys, sharpen them battle axes, we're headed to HAUNTCON! haha

I have yet to experience either event, but I do think each are respectable in their own rights. Mr. Pickel does seem to have a strong bias, which is not exactly fair to Transworld, but it's just an interview, and people say things that they don't fully mean.

But, home is here at Hauntworld :twisted:

drfrightner
12-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Strong bias is an understatement... How can he tell someone that Transworld is a RETAIL SHOW and that his show is the haunted house show? Would you call that a lie, a fib, or just ignoring the facts?

Personally I wouldn't let him exhibit at TW if I was making the call...for that matter why would a haunted house magazine, haunted godfather expert want to display at a 'RETAIL' show?

He should back up his claims and not exhibit at a RETAIL SHOW.

I love the Godfather crack and the bible of the industry refering to his magazine...LOL

Larry

NightMareManor
12-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I love the Godfather crack and the bible of the industry refering to his magazine...LOL

Larry

Haunted attraction magazine is more like a quarterly pamphlet! :? Hardly a bible!
AND, every issue is like 45 pages or something! LOL :lol:

HauntWorld is the REAL bible of the haunted house industry!!!

-Sean

MDKing
12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Larry,

I like the way you used those smiley faces in your last post! It really captures the mood!

Allan

drfrightner
12-13-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm laughing...I know some people are thinking there you go again beating up on the poor pickel, but someone has to keep his ego and facts in check. The guy is like a run away freight train...

Last I heard Scarefactory, Unit 70, Ghost Ride, blah, blah where not exhibitors last year. From what I understand some vendors have done so poorly selling at his show that they won't give it another go next year.

Setting the record straight, I wish no ill on his show, in fact I hear its a fun time, but if he only was nicer, and kept his facts straight more people could buy into what he's trying to do. When EVERYONE in the haunted world knows for a fact the only place on the planet to see Scarefactory's 20 whatever booths and Unit 70's 10 or whatever booths, and Ghost Rides newest stuff, or Distortions newest stuff, and 50 other vendors on top of 100,000's of thousands of square feet of Halloween junk downstairs...I mean who does he think he's fooling the newbie?

Yes the newbie, so if we allow him to go around citing he's the "Godfather" or he's the bible of the industry, or that his show is the only haunted house show, then people who try and get their start listening to him are totally doomed.

Kinda like the haunted event he consulted, and which they bought his old modular shows, it bombed, now all for sale after one year! This guy makes a living going around telling people who don't know any better he's the Godfather, the only game in town, and he actually believes it.

I'm still scratching my head...

Seriously who does he think he's fooling...

I loved the crack he made about him being transworlds red headed step child...that was funny!

I was reading in his lastest magazine a big event at TW is getting to eat dinner with him instead of touring the Frozen Tundra you can eat dinner with the Pickel! LOL

I love this guy! I really do! What would I do without him?

Larry

mindtumor
12-13-2006, 06:12 AM
I watched the interview but must have missed the bible of the industry remark. Overall the interview does come across like he has the only haunted attraction trade show. I mean no offense to Leonard because I have never met him, but he may be better off if he starts telling people to stop calling him the godfather of the industry. And did anyone notice if the interview was done at hauntcon or was it a different convention.

Ken Spriggs
12-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Larry, you never give up do you?

Look, you know my issues with a certain person in the industry RIGHT?
Do you see me bashing him just for the hell of it, everytime I can? NO

I have no ties to Leonard.....I have no ties to anyone.....this is not damage control and he hasn't sent me to your website to help him....so please don't say that.

All this shows is that the industry is once again split......your either with Larry or with Leonard....BS...I stand in the middle where we all should.

I don't want to start a fight or anything but why resort to this?

Let it go.....hold your arms out to the side....touch your index finger to your thumb and go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

12-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Well said Ken!

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

drfrightner
12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Hey Ken,

I hear what you're saying and I do not disagree with you. And yes I know who you're talking about...LOL.

I'm really not trying to beat up on him, but gee whiz man, telling people Transworld is a RETAIL show and its not for haunted house owners.

He's the one who said not me...he's even proud of it promoting the link on his own website. My only thing here Ken is that people who are getting into the business can't really believe this stuff. Someone has to let them know this just isn't true...when someone claims to be the bible of the industry, the Godfather, and you don't know any better, you just might tend to believe it.

I feel I'm only pointing out he's not correct.

I think you would have to agree he's not correct, correct? LOL

Larry

PumpkinHead
12-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Transworld Exhibits is a company that puts on retail shows. The Halloween and Costume show was originally a retail show. Over the past few years with the addition of more and more Haunter show's into the national haunter scene Transworld shifted it's Chicago Halloween show to cater to haunters.

HauntWorld or Haunted Attraction, the more info out there , the better... I subscribe to both and enjoy them for what they are.

Ken Spriggs
12-14-2006, 07:45 AM
No Larry you are kind of wrong.

The show (for the last 10 years that i know of) has been a retail show.
People in suits....people with big money....people with huge business.
Yes it is still there but look around this year.
Haunts bring 10-20 people with them....most have no reason to be there.

The people in charge of TW did nothing but try to keep the haunters out of the show. All of a sudden Greg comes along and wants to change the world of TW. Great...but I think it is a little too late. Watch the attendance this year...it will be down and the vendors will be complaining.

Leonards show Hauntcon.....is for haunters...he welcomes them .....bring your entire crew.....let them all do a seminar. Yes it is smaller....but really take a look at vendor space in the isolated HAUNT section.

Larry as to your comment about letting people know......Why?
He has done enough work in the industry for people to know what he has done and can do.

Do I go around telling people of my bad experiance? I used to....I was the bad guy for doing it. Notice I don't concern myself with others anymore....I have a business to run...a life to live and a family to support, that takes way to much time to do these days.

Get back on the floor cross your legs arms out to the side....HMMMMMMMMMM...or OMMMMMMM whichever you prefer.

Chris
12-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Calling TW a retail show seems like an accuratre description to me, but why would anyone consider this an insult? What's wrong with retail?

As for Pickle, after reading him running down the Haunt Industry I don't have a whole lot of respect for him -- that certainly isn't helpful or accurate.

xxxdirk
12-14-2006, 09:59 AM
For my 2 cents, Transworld is a retail convention that happens to have a pretty good haunt convention within it. I mean, the majority of Transworld is lots of "people in suits" going around dropping tens of thousands at several booths as well as people with smaller shops like me, walking around in our jeans dropping maybe $15-40K total at the costume part.

The haunt show, maybe you have a few people dropping some serious change, but the majority are people that spend under $10k and then a lot of haunters there to network, learn and drool. Is Transworld a haunt convention? NO. Could Transworld exist without the costume portion. NO. Could Transworld survive ok if there was no haunters there? I bet yes. It would be a boring convention, but yes. IMHO Haunters are what brings the fun to the conventiion. Here you have these crazy people wearing these crazy costumes and bloody make up wandering the center. Where else can you see a skinny dude with a hairy belly and moustache wearing a mini skirt? Where else can you see a guy named Sheldon in a wheel chair chasing a playboy bunny? And thats not even to mention the bar at the Crowne and the craziness that happens there. Transworld without haunters? SHUDDER. I have been to those kind of tradeshows. Hell, I have to man a booth at one in Des Moines this Friday- Sunday.

So in closing, Len wsa partially right in his interview. Is he right calling himself the "Ggodfather" Well, he never did call himself that, the interviewer did. OF course Len never stopped stopped him, and that was Lens own PR machine that made the interviewer think that, but I digress. TW is a retail show. Where he went wrong was not stating that it has also a haunt convention & coming across that his is the only haunt convention.
That was his choice to make and decide if he wants to come across as a proponent of the haunt industry or a proponent of himself. I mean what about Barry and his MW haunt convention? I went to that last year and had a blast and learned a lot. Did Barry have the huge floor of exhibitors? No. Does Len? From what I hear, No. Did I care at Barrys convention that I had not seen the huge exhibits? No because I had seen a lot at Transworld. Perhaps what I am trying to say in this long winded post is that each convention compliments eachother and "can't we all just get along?" :oops:

Anyhow, I will be at TW again this year, and have made plans to go to Lens convention in May. If everything works out, I would love to go to Barrys convention again, but will have to see what this Summer brings.

Peace out and sorry for rambling on.... Ron

Chris
12-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Another random thought... I have decided to start calling myself the Great-Grandfather--

No....

The Emperor of Haunting.

In the future please preceed all comments to me with "Your Majesty" or "Your Holyness".

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Emperor of China

drfrightner
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Two things...

First Dirk,

As for the 'Godfather' crack, yes you're correct the Vampire guy is the one who said it, however that guy didn't know Leonard from adam. If he did he wouldn't have ever asked Leonard about Transworld, rather just Hauntcon. Prior to the Interview clearly Leonard tells the guy who he is, what he does, and that his magazine is refered to as the bible of the industry and that he's known as the Godfather.

Otherwise how do you think that goofball knows any of that stuff? LOL So Clearly Leonard didn't say it but he told the guy thats who he is so technically he did say it. Leonard as we all know is not any Godfather, and his magazine is clearly nothing close to a bible. What I love about this guy is that whenever he goes for a description of something he does its the all the way to the MOON...Haunted Attractions Magazine and the Bible wow the most read book ever and HAM. LOL

Ken,

No matter what I said or anyone said I think you'd always try to disagree but thats okay. So I'm going to take a stab here and disagree with you.

Transworld IS NOT a Retail Show...let me say that again one time for you NOT a retail show. Wait a minute NOT a retail show...did I say it enough?

I've been going to this show now for 13 or 14 years now and from day one I said non-retail items at this show. Transworld has always and probably will always sell booths to whomever wanted one. Yes its MOSTLY retail but hardly all retail. I wouldn't call Scarefactory retail, or Distortions Retail, even 10 years ago when Distortions had the alligator, electric chair, and VP had multi motion talking animations, or Boneyard had multi motion talking animations, to people who sold haunted houses like Leonard Pickel I would harldy call that a retail show.

In New York City they have a Halloween ONLY retail show and Walmart shows up, Target shows up, have you ever seen Walmart at Transworld? No because first off its NOT retail only, and second they already put their orders in at the retail only show.

But this is all beside the point...fact is if TW was a quote unquote retail show as PICKEL puts in then tell me why did he once say he has to have a booth at TW because there is where he renews most of his subscriptions every year?

If Hauntcon was a haunters only show you'd think every haunter on earth would go, as would ever vendor but they do not do they? As for TW allowing or not allowing every tom dick and harry into their show, they shouldn't to be honest with you. Its a show for professional business people, not a party for everyone to come to and grab brochures. People are trying to do business not entertain you.

What Transworld really is a business to business show.

Another GLARING difference is sure Hauntcon will let anyone in...and they also charge you a fee at the door $35.00 per person. I'm sure if drunks from every corner of the city came to the door with $35.00 he'd let them in. Transworld is a show for professional business owners be it Halloween retail or haunted house owners, amusement park operators, or whatever.

Arguing with you over these issues is a mute point...

Leoanards comments are wrong period! You know what he said was untrue, and that most professional haunt owners do not attend Hauntcon and most vendors and I mean MOST vendors don't exhibit...they exhibit at Transworld your RETAIL SHOW. LOL.

Facts are this Vampire guy asked about Transworld and Leonard basically lied...you call call TW a retail show if you want but atleast tell the truth that Haunted House do call TW home as do all the vendors.

Would you go and make another post and say to me that this industry doesn't call TW home both vendor and buyer? If someone was to get into the business should they go to Hauntcon or TW. Sure you can say both, but if they really was getting started which show is the must attend?

Enough said.

Larry

Ken Spriggs
12-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Gee Larry bottom line......who really cares!

The rip in the industry gets larger every time you open your mouth about him.

Let it go.

I am not going to argue...you think you know me....you don't

drfrightner
12-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Ken,

Have a great Holiday Ken. I hope down the road I can say something else that will give you a reason to gripe! You love it baby! LOL

Larry

Jim Warfield
12-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Larry, Quit tapdancing around, just say it, get it off your chest, Leonard IS the Anti-Christ!!!

Nightmaretony
12-14-2006, 09:24 PM
That and ten cents gets you a cup of coffee....

Greg Chrise
12-14-2006, 09:45 PM
is it Folger's.

lurker
12-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Okay, I have to jump in here. I can’t let you guys get away with referring to Count Gore DeVol as that “vampire guy” and “goof ball”. Have you no respect? He is like…..the godfather of horror hosting in the DC/Baltimore area.
As a young ghoul obsessed boy I loved watching the Count and his Creature Feature show. That guy has been putting on that make-up and doing that shtick for over 30 years. He helped make me the man I am today.
So, say what you will about any one else, but don’t go disrespecting the Count.

I will now remove my tongue from cheek, but in all honesty I thought he was very cool when I was a kid. It's great that he is still doing his thing.

Greg Chrise
12-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Where was this interview supposed to air? on the Count's show between movie breaks?

lurker
12-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm not sure his show is on tv any more. It maybe on public access in the DC area. I think he has turned his attentions mainly to his web show, and doing conventions.
http://www.countgore.com/

Jim Warfield
12-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Mr. Tuxedo saw him at the Geneava Convention weighing pieces of illegal shrapnel.
Shrapnel with Mexican jumping beans inside of it to make even more hideous wounds for days later as the metal wiggles around inside the victim's body.

drfrightner
12-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Lurker,

Well I only meant it in jest, however it was pretty corny that he messed up then did a retake without cutting out the bad take...that was goofy! LOL

I does look pretty goofy though wouldn't you agree...he's a goofy Bela Lugosi! LOL

Larry

Greg Chrise
12-16-2006, 01:26 AM
The counts website has so many rooms I guess it would show in the "vault" if it isn't on the cutting room floor or with discs these days I guess there is some kind of catipult involved?

If it does get seen, I doubt it would lead many horror fans to go to Michigan for HauntCon that already didn't know about it and have a specific interest? But, it looks like the Count does still have something going on in the maryland market.

My horror host became a travel agency, that's no fun. If he's still alive?

lurker
12-16-2006, 08:46 AM
I was just being facetious It was an attempt to redirect the discussion elsewhere with a little levity.
He is goofy, but I guess that is what horror host are suppose to be. I'm thinking about having him out to our haunt next year. I think he would be a bit of nostalgia for my age bracket.

Jim Warfield
12-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Yes! Scary! Most of the 14 yr. old girls going through the haunt would find him very scary, creepy, simply because he is older than 18!
Ever think when you were much younger, "How do people ever get SO OLD?, I mean , that guy must be at least 40!

FrightProps
12-17-2006, 06:10 AM
I liked the interview. Totally goofy host, but worth watching.
I won't get into the specifics about how Leonard portrayed himself and HauntCon because I don't care about that.

What I wanted to bring up was the terms "retail" and "wholesale" because I am a bit confused (or maybe other's are a bit confused).

To me, the Haunt section (upstairs) at Transworld is mostly a "retail" show. Because most of the vendors sell to "end-users" of product. Downstairs is a "wholesale" show because most of those vendors sell to customers who "resell" the product to their end-users.

HauntCon is 95% a "retail" show: vendors sell to end-users not re-sellers ("wholesalers").

I consider haunted houses end-users because they do not resell my products. They are the end-user of my product. If someone sells haunted-houses something for them to resell to their public (like t-shirts, glow necklaces, etc) then that's different, they then become retail outlets for products purchased wholesale.

Right?

Dan Faupel
12-17-2006, 08:55 AM
That was a great interview...I loved the host!...thanks Larry!

drfrightner
12-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Retail vs. Wholesale

If you made a case that Transworld is RETAIL as Leonard puts it then you'd have to say Hauntcon or any tradeshow for that matter is retail.

Even IAAPA is retail I guess...you go there you buy pretzels, nachos or whatever to use and resell in your amusement park. You buy rides, you buy games, again to resell or upsell to your customers.

Wholesale means that you are buying from the supplier and then you would then in turn resell that item again, making it retail.

The bottom line is ANYTHING is retail then, even if you go to a convention for funeral directors, yes its a show for their industry, and then I guess they buy those items and then resell to you when you're DEAD! LOL

Some items from the haunted section do end up in retail stores and then resold to people decorating their yard or whatever. But the bottom line is simple...

Transworld's Haunted House show is the ONLY SHOW any real haunted house owner goes to period! They DO NOT go to Hauntcon to buy haunted house stuff, there just isn't much to buy because they don't have many vendors. People go to TRANSWORLD to buy their haunted house props.

So when you look at the interview, even if Leoanrd is telling the truth that Transworld is retail, it doesn't matter...the Vamp guy asked doesn't your industry go to a Transworld Halloween to buy all their stuff...and he said NO!

Period!

Retail, Wholesale, whatever...Transworld is where I'm going to buy my new Haunted Junk...how about everyone else?

Thats what I thought...no matter how you twist it he was basically telling a lie to benefit himself and his show. Considering the guy wrote a letter from the editor in his last magazine about how everyone should get along, and everyone should stop fighting, and everyone should go to seminars, and he names them all off BUT TRANSWORLD, then his clear grudge against them leads him to snub them once again in this interview, the fact is he didn't read his own letter from the editor.

Larry

mindtumor
12-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Transworld also has seminars and stuff. I watched the interview and I also thought Leonard tried to make out like Transworld was only a retail seminar that wasn't really worth going to and that Hauntcon was THE HAUNT CONVENTION. I mean there are vendors selling stuff at Transworld but there is also other stuff that goes on.

Jim Warfield
12-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Most competitors don't spend much time talking about the competition,(in a positive way) or hasn't anyone ever noticed this before?
"What do you think about the new Chevy Mr. Ford?"
"Those Chevys are fantastic cars! You have to drive one to believe it, they have great features, incredible gas mileage, low payments!"
In 1963 Chevy wanted to give Louis Chevrolet's widow a new car for a promotional ad, she said , No thanks, I just bought a new Ford!" And she had! Of course her husband had been totally screwed out of the company that bore his name many years previously.......

Dan Faupel
12-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Transworld is where I'm going to buy my new Haunted Junk...how about everyone else?

Larry

Now there's a Transworld testimonial if I've ever heard one!...hehehehehe...

Larry, maybe you should buy more from Creative Visions, so you won't have to call your stuff "junk"...hehehe...sorry, couldn't resist...

drfrightner
12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Dan,

I didn't mean it like that...meaning JUNK. You know what I meant sonny boy! LOL

Jim,

Yes I agree with you most people don't speak highly of the competition, however Leoanrd runs a magazine, and if its truely a bible of the industry, then he should be more of an unbiased person. He's constantly trashing and running down Transworld. He shouldn't get a booth then because if we listen to his garbage none of us should go to Transworld this year.

When you run a magazine, and you're being paid to give people information, then you shouldn't hold back information because you don't like someone, or want to hurt their business. You also should blackball people or refuse people advertisement, or subscriptions because you feel they're in competition with you or that you dont' like them. And when you run a tradeshow you should ban people you don't like...all of these things add up to one thing and thats a bad source of information.

Can you imagine what our industry would be like if this guy was truely the only haunted seminar, haunted house tradeshow...can you imagine the dictorship we'd be under? Thankfully we don't live under a one person knows everything, my way or the highway, if i don't like you can't come play type of industry. Because I firmly believe thats what it would be like!

I have a magazine, and inside my magazine I will cover Hauntcon as a legit haunted event, and have done so TWICE! On my website we have links to Haunted Attraction Magazine, we listed his magazine in our videos and we've printed his press releases.

Would he ever do the same? No he wouldn't...but I don't care. But atleast he can follow his own advice and stop the fighting and start working together which as you can see he failed to do.

He has a disease...the disease of 'ME'. If you run a magazine you can't turn a BLIND EYE to real news, real happenings, or for that matter the industries ONLY real haunted house show can you? I guess you can if your name is Leonard Pickel.

Sorry for the rant, gotta go, I'm hungry, think I'll grab some Godfather Pizza! Love that brand!

Larry

Ken Spriggs
12-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Um....Larry?

When you were younger.....did you like to take a stick and poke at roadkill?

SomeThingInTheIce
12-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Um....Larry?

When you were younger.....did you like to take a stick and poke at roadkill?
How do you think it ended up dead.lol.

drfrightner
12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Ken,

Please excuse me!

Now Ken, can you send me a press release for your dates you will be open. I'm starting to work on the magazine.

Let me know

Larry

Jim Warfield
12-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Ken, I videoed roadkill, actually interveiwed it with my Pizza Oui-Ja board, ask a question , spin the pizza cardboard and see what the response was to be.
Everyone thinks these roadkill are just dead possuums and racoons, no, they are the world's best haunt actors as far as remaining "in-character" goes. I tried numerous times to bait or bribe them into breaking character by offering them pieces of cheese, no go!
They could work in my place any night , if it wasn't for the smell!
I never figured out if I only had to pay the racoon or if I also had to pay each of clinging maggots too? (Busy little guys in the hot summer sun!)