PDA

View Full Version : Dark Maze

Boni
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
How many of you do a complete or almost complete dark maze and what are some of the obstacles or things that should be considered when building a dark maze.

Some background, last year I used a 40,000 square foot building and had one attraction going through the whole thing, now there was about 50% dead space throughout for actors to move in and out. It was Dr. Buzzsaw's Haunted Hospital. This year I want to condense the hospital to about 10,000 square feet including dead space and add a 10,000 square foot dark maze called Buzzsaw's Basement.

monsterwax
12-30-2008, 09:40 PM
We put shock pads and pointed spikes in ours, just to keep people on their toes.

No wait, that the proposed improvements if the Bureau of Fair Rides doesn't object (heh heh heh). As it stands now, it's just a regular maze with eight foot high walls and no props in it at all, but several actors who stalk the guests. We like to use a couple of twins to really confuse them, though they can only be seen in the few places where there are strobe lights.

The maze can be one of the most dangerous places because people crowd in there and form human trains. If one person falls over, the entire line can fall. So those actors also have to manage the crowd and if it gets too full, send them out an exit. (Ours is just before the outside door.)

Quite honestly, I thought the maze was dead space at first and only planned on using it temporarily until we filled up that wing with other scenes, but the guests loved it as a maze and didn't want to see it changed. So we've since expanded outside instead. You have to listen to your customers to find out what they like, instead of imposing your own feedback onto them. A maze in the light is completely different from one in the dark filled with stalking maniacs!

Jim Warfield
12-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Loops back upon it's previously covered ground it forces customers to wish that they hadn't farted a short while ago, which is a valuable lesson in life.
I am speaking from experience. It wasn't in my maze, the other JCs I was with didn't like the effect that was released fom my internals.
"Kan't put the Gymie back in the borttle!"

Nightgore
12-31-2008, 09:15 AM
This might help, a thread for a while back!

http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_house_forums/showthread.php?t=6234&highlight=Black+maze

-Tyler