PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your Opinion On Transworld Moving

graystone
01-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Around to a different host city each year? Yes I know some says St. Louis is in the center fine. But why not have a different city host the show each year. I attend several shows each year (not all haunted related) and many of them move around. Here is why I think it would be good.
1. You get to visit a new and exciting city each year.
2. You could get to visit a new haunt or 2 or 3 that you would never get to see before.
3. As a Haunt Owner you could try to add some added revenue or if nothing more than to help on your renovations by having some off season attendance.
4. By moving around to a different city each year. This would offer other cities to see what the Haunt Indusrty has to offer through TV and New Press. And we all know what good PR is!

These are just a few of my thoughts. Now I will wait for the attack from the St. Louis boys lol. Shane and its give me your thoughts agree or not Shane this time.

Darkblood
01-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I'll see if I can get the Titusville, Pa Chamber of Commerce to put in a bid for here... ;)

Shane-I see pros and cons to this (hey I'd love it to come to Pittsburgh (biggest city closest to me) but only in nice weather...hehehe.
But then if it went to California I'd be like "Wow, the other side of the country..."
I know the people out there would think the same if it moved to say Philly or something...
Interesting topic to say the least!

Kirk

swampboy
01-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Would love to see it in a different city each year. See different cities, experience different atmosphere, etc. Great idea!

damon carson
01-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Transworlds not Hauntcon. If you want a different city every year then thats the show you need to go to. Personally I dont see too many more Hauntcons happening. Unless Transworld does go somewhere else after St. Louis this year. Leonard had his chance to bring hauntcon to Missouri but he claimed no haunts would open for him and I told him personally that was crap. I told him that Larry and the Darkness would open for him more than likely. I know Larry loves showing off his place. Damn I would too if I owned the Darkness its friggin awesome! But far as Transworld I think it would be a big mistake for them if they do go somewhere else. Chicago was a big mainstay for them. I will miss it not being in Chicago. Ive had alot of goodtime up there. Ya Rosemont isnt Chicago but dang it was only 15 mins away. It might as well be. I wont miss the drive to Chicago, nor the wind or the cold weather. But for that time of year you better expect that there. But Im hoping St. Louis becomes the new home for the Halloween show personally. It doesnt sound from what I heard Vegas was all that for most haunters and vendors.
Damon

Haunted Illinois
01-03-2009, 02:35 PM
1. You get to visit a new and exciting city each year.

I think keeping things fresh like that is a good idea; however, by not having the show centrally located consistently, that can make it cost-prohibitive for attendees, not to mention the haunt vendors. More people would have to fly to the show, instead of drive, thus making the trip more expensive. Vendors would also have higher expenses related to getting their products there, perhaps having to have them shipped, instead of boxing them up in a truck and driving there. Two words… Transworld Vegas. Need I say more? LOL.

2. You could get to visit a new haunt or 2 or 3 that you would never get to see before.

That would definitely be a nice benefit. A lot of haunts do change their shows on a regular basis, but seeing the same attraction year-after-year isn’t nearly as exciting as seeing something completely different.

3. As a Haunt Owner you could try to add some added revenue or if nothing more than to help on your renovations by having some off season attendance.

This really wouldn’t benefit the Industry; it would be a personal benefit for the select few attraction owners lucky enough to be opening their show during the convention.

Overall, I have mixed thoughts about this. Personally, I think it would benefit the Industry the most to keep the show centrally located (near the highest concentration of haunters), thus making it cost effective for the most people (both haunt owners and vendors). As I see it, the biggest real benefit of moving the show around would be giving people a fresh/new haunt tour every year. I guess the big question is, is having a new haunt tour every year really that important or would it benefit more people to keep the show centrally located?

damon carson
01-03-2009, 02:46 PM
There are plenty of haunts in Missouri, Illinois, that are within a 3 to 3 1/2 hour driving distance from St. Louis. Personally I would be willing to see certain haunts and make the drive if I had never been to them before. Im surprised Monty didnt open The Edge of Hell or The Beast for the show. But then again Ive heard he doesnt open his doors to haunters for free tours ect. But this he could have just actors and show going and made cash off it. Maybe next year if its in St. Louis because he really has some great haunts. But there are plenty haunts to last many years if it stays in St. Louis. And if people dont want to drive they can maybe go on a bus tour like Necropolis and Fearfest are doing. I really want to see this show do well if you cant tell. LOL! Plus you know the Darkness is going be a out of the ballpark tour. And they plan on Creepy World next year. Which is just kickass. So I think this area has enough haunts to support it for many years at least.
Damon

drfrightner
01-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Shane,

WHen you are trying to market to a massive buyers market it costs a lot of money and takes a long time to establish. If you go moving it around every single year you'll lose people all the time. You have to establish something in an area and a show with buyers before you going moving it around all over.

Hauntcon first off already does this, and this show becomes more of a regional show because of it, which isn't good for vendors. MHC sems to keep growing attendance because people know where it is.

One of a half dozen of the other.

Larry

Nightgore
01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it'd be best to keep it centrally located... I mean, it's the industry show, like IAAPA... and normally IAAPA is held in Orlando, sometimes going to Vegas. I honestly think this is the downfall of Hauntcon... I mean constant moves makes it harder to market, harder to travel, etc. etc. etc.

I like having a show that's easy to depend on; meaning I know WHEN it is, and WHERE it is! IDK... good idea, I'm sure this will spark alot of creative thinking about the shows. We'll see... -Tyler

graystone
01-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Well if you want to take the location into play. Then lets look at Ohio there are many vendors from that state. I am sure they would love to see it in their city. Heck and we could even see some haunts and then the vendor factories. And if you get more cities bidding on us coming WHO IS MAKING JUDGEMENT IT WILL COST MORE. Heck want a cheap place then try Mississippi hell they will pay you to come LOL. Also this in not a question about Hauntcon so don't swing it to a Hauntcon discussion. Its about changing the cities for TransWorld.

I say lets look at Atlanta for 2010. Ben what can you do? Me and Paul will do what we can to help you. I am sure Slaughter House in Nashville and Deamons Den will throw in help too. I see Larrys and Damons point why would they want it moved. But lets see others views thats not in their front door.

On a side note just for mental note if it continues in St. Louis which I am sure it will then will the Darkness still stick with the 50.00-250.00 charge? Shane.

P.S. Ben hope I did not put ya on the spot here.

robos99
01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I could see benefits for it being moved around...I'd certainly like to see it in Chicago, would make it a lot easier for me having it in my backyard. But realistically, just like everyone else is saying, you'd serve less people with it moving around. Because I can say for one, if it's in Chicago and I attend, I wouldnt attend if it moves to California the next year. St Louis truly is centrally located, and will serve more people that way. Or just move it to Chicago, that's ok with me. haha.

drfrightner
01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah lets put the show in Ohio to try to hurt MHC...bad idea, that would cause so much fighting I can't even imagine

As for Atlanta, this is the MOST EXPENSIVE city in America to hold a tradeshow from what I'm told by tradeshow companies. I doubt you'll see that happen although the major plus is Netherworld. I did tradeshows in Atlanta three times and I can tell you buyers and vendors did not like it much (IAAPA). From my understand IAAPA will not go back to IAAPA because Atlanta doesn't work for the show.

I think Atlanta is a cool city but not really set up so good for a tradeshow on this small of scale.

Orlando is the best city but its in the far end of the country but Orlando I really like but IAAPA is already there and now they are in Vegas as well.

This show needs to stay in the Midwest in my veiw.

Larry

graystone
01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
A few facts.
1. Robs99... The show was in Chicago for years lol where were you at?
2. Ok Las Vegas.. too high been there done that I suppose.
3. Larry says Atlanta is to high. ( Hummm)
4. If MHC is totally different than Transworld why would it hurt it? Many says it attracts different people, different buyers, different vendors. You have said that same thing many times Larry yourself. So how would it hurt it?
5.. What do you mean a small show? This is supposed to become the biggest show from here on out. What happened to that?

Ok lets Try Nashville then...The Country Music Capitol of the World! You could still do a bus trips to NetherWorld I would think and hell its not but what a 6 or 7 hour drive from Ohio and St. Louis areas.

Also Larry you did not answer the question about the price of the Darkness. Will the same ticket prices continue in the future as long as the show stays in St. Louis. Shane and its were still on the move Shane this time.

****** LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LARRY OR ST. LOUIS!! I HAVE NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE DARKNESS WILL NOT BE A GOOD HAUNT TOUR OR THAT ST. LOUIS WANT HAVE A GOOD SHOW. ( AFTER HAVING DINNER WITH BEN ARMSTRONG HE CONVINCED ME OF THAT) BUT I AM JUST LOOKING FOR NEW HAUNTS AND SITES I MIGHT NOT GET TO SEE ANYOTHER TIME OF THE YEAR!

drfrightner
01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Price of the Darkness tour... OMG here we go again.

I can't predict the future this is what I do know and you will soon understand because the show was coming here, I wanted to GO ALL OUT. I don't know if I'm offended or just laughing at the people who keep saying 'they don't want to pay for my renovations'.

If you haven't been to the Darkness in the past and you are saying these comments all I can say is they don't know jack. People shouldn't talk about stuff which they know nothing about ...

If we sell 1,000 tickets we'll gross 50,000.00. We'll pay something in the area of 15,000 between insurance, actors, and all other related labor to open the haunted house so that leaves $35,000.00. WOW... that will pay for my renovations won't they?

I would agree that would pay for a lot of peoples renovations and then some but not ours... Right now we have about 10 people working everyday on the Darkness and have been at it for almost two months.

We have already spent more than $35,000.00 on labor alone. I spent over $50,000.0 on new products custom stuff I'm having made from several vendors...hoping to pick some of it up over the next couple of weeks. We are building custom animations as well we figured that cost was around $20,000.00.

Labor wise we'll need another 2 months to get everything done and it still will probably not get ALL DONE. Eventually we'll need to bring in all the painters I'm sure getting all of that done will cost around $10,000 more.

Plus lets not forget all the materials we've been buying LIKE MAD... that figure has to be around another $50,000.00 or so.

All together this renovation will cost us about $150,000.00 to $175,000.00.

MY GOAL HERE IS REALLY SIMPLE: To BLOW YOU ALL AWAY NOT TO SIMPLY OPEN UP and throw actors inside. Once you go through the haunt and see it you can tell me if we charged too much or too little!

So to answer your question about next year...it really depends on if we go alllllllllllll out to redo it again or if we just open it. It really depends on how many projects we have going at the time, how much time is available to us to work on it, how good the 2009 season goes, and well alot of things.

My goal isn't to get rich here, my goal is to INSPIRE YOU! That isn't free!

Just trust me...

My reputation is on the line here, you should realize I realize this so with that said you should know I will do everything I can to make the haunt the best it can possibly be.

If ANYONE saw the haunted house last year or any year before THEY WON'T EVEN BELIEVE WHAT THEY'LL see during this tour. We will blow you away I promise.

I figure the money we'll take it will only offset what we are spending at about hmmm 25% if that. Yes the Darkness will be ready to go for the most part but we'll be out all of that money for 6 months.

NO HAUNT IN THE NATION does that... no one. Thanks to a really good year last season we can afford but maybe next year maybe we won't.

Who knows.

Larry

Speculo
01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Hey Shane If you want to see Haunts go to all the shows! I have seen SO many cool haunts at HAUNTCON over the years including many I had wanted to see for years. You just need to watch his site, and see if they are the ones you want to see. Last year at Hauntcon was EPIC.. I saw House Of Shock, 13th Gate, The Mortuary, The Chamber Of Horrors, Nightmare on the Bayou, Phobia, and Screamworld -

Most of these were Full shows with actors - good stuff!

The show that is near Philly, Eastern Haunters, that is so near tons of great Haunts I would think you can get to some good ones there, Philly area probably has the tightest packed grouping of really BIG events, but perhaps Texas and Detroit might disagree. I didn't get to that show but I actually travelled up that way three times last year, and saw many amazing events.

MHC is in the same town every year, but they make an effort to do tours to haunts all over the area. I didn't get on that tour but some of my group did and they are still talking about the Dent Schoolhouse. I always go pay Tim May at Dead Acres a visit his place is very very cool! Also you need to see Dave at the House of Nightmares and of course Unit 70 and Scarefactory...

The thing about moving Transworld around is that the vendors don't like to move it..Since it is the show where the companies like Scarefactory roll out massive new products, they like to know the hall, the city etc. or so I am told. Also most important is seeing the BUYERS and everytime you move a show that gets screwed up they say...I remember the days of moving my haunt around so I understand!

What I have discovered over the years is Transworld is THE big Vendor show, and all of the others I find more the Haunt tours, the fun parties, etc. ALSO on occasion you might find start up vendors or very regional vendors with COOL new stuff that you might never see anywhere else, but that is really a side item for me.

Transworld is always a must, and the other shows I try to see if it works out for me.

I guess in a perfect world we would have the old Transworld with Halloween inculded landing every year next door to epic haunted houses, It doesn't seem it work that way normally but It will this year!

We get Three Haunts, The Darkness, Necropolis and Fear Fest!

A few years ago that worked out with Dreamreapers, Burial Chamber and Terror on the Fox - Three haunts is an omen!

Maybe next year we can get to go to KC for those haunts...THAT would ROCK!

For me I will follow and support our vendors, and after that I will follow the Haunt tours and fun if my build out allows. I want to do em all, but there are so many shows now...

We shall see.

Thanks!

stafford
01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't think Transworld should be a travelling show, however, perhaps they could do a couple years in St. Louis, then a couple in Chicago, maybe back and forth. I think this also keeps it a little interesting for attendees, it changes it up a bit.

This keeps it in the midwest and reasonable for most vendors, and centrally located for the attendees. It also keeps the convention centers on their toes, so that they don't get too comfortable and take advantage that the show is going to be there every year. IAAPA uses a similar format, couple years in Orlando, then Atlanta, then Orlando, now Vegas.

I think Hauntcon has got the travelling show covered, which allows the ability to see different haunts across the country out of season.

Chris

Jim Warfield
01-04-2009, 08:48 AM
...so that must mean that it still is alive!
Quick! Pull it out of that coffin!

Boni
01-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Couple questions:

Are the majority of the people flying in anyways? I would think if you live more than 8 hours from St. Louis, you are flying. So maybe 10 to 15 percent of the people drive in. The rest will fly regardless of where it is.

Where are the majority of the vendors who must drive because they are hauling product? Granted, most vendors will go wherever they need to for the show, but if you can make it closer for them to drive, this makes sense, so take your top 20 vendors and find out where they are.

There are plenty of mid-west cities to use, Chicago, Indy, St. Louis, Detroit, that would all draw in new people.

The same old same old vendors and haunt owners will be there every year, by moving, I could see the influx of new blood that would benefit the vendors.

If Transworld were in Indy or Chicago, I would be there. If it is Vegas I would be there, but only for the poker. If its in Boston, not going. St. Louis is on the fringe for me.

Barry
01-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah lets put the show in Ohio to try to hurt MHC...bad idea, that would cause so much fighting I can't even imagine

Thank you Larry. I could not have said it better myself. I think other shows should stay 8 hours outside of Columbus. LOL

Nightgore
01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
How about here in Lexington, KY.? We're right at the intersection of I-75 (Cincy to Orlando) and I-64 (Huntington to St. Louis)... we have a very nicely sized convention center with 3 hotels within ONE block... PLENTY of places to eat, shop, and entertainment... and gives oppurtunity for some cool, NEW haunt tours! Just a thought! -Tyler

MDKing
01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm in favor of the show moving! Not locaton so much as when it's held in the month. I'll be missing way too much March Madness that late in March! :D

Seriously, I think it might take a couple years in St Louis to see if its the right fit. Also, haunt tours are really great and a big part of it all but I go primarilty for the convention and to see and buy new product. If there wasn't a haunt tour I could find something else to do as long as the convention was new and beneficial to me. Haunt tours are just icing on the cake for me though and a great opportunity to see other haunts.

Allan

robos99
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
1. Robs99... The show was in Chicago for years lol where were you at?

Haha, unfortunately I first heard about it just months after it was done in Chicago for the last time. I was really kicking myself there.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it moving out of Chicago has anything to do with how much it costs in Chicago. Granted, for attendees it's not that bad, and there are plenty of hotels. But conventions here are so unionized that you need an electrician just to plug something in.

maliciousstudios
01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Just waiting for Transworld to find a home... I used to attend the Chicago show, but with it moving around all the time I feel like waiting untill it gets closer to home. Feels like everyones running around in the water trying to grab one illusive fish. I have to admit attending a convention like MHC is more appealing to someone like myself because I know where it is and can plan on it returning to Columbus again next year. Not worth much - but just my 2 cents...

drfrightner
01-04-2009, 04:00 PM
IF the show was moved out of St. Louis after one year I think it would kill the show... you are trying to establish a BUYERS SELLER show and you are going to what keep confusing everyone like Transworld did last year? Look where that has got them every buyer is so confused they don't know if they are coming or going.

A buyer seller show doesn't need haunt tours it doesn't need anything but buyers showing up with money and vendors showing up with cool stuff to buy. I can tell you again everyone keeps saying THE DARKNESS is the main reason people are coming and I realize its a HUGE reason. The reason is there are so many people confused about Houston, Chicago (TW advertised it was going back), Vegas, one show, split show, then you throw into the mix Hauntcon, MHC and now EHC there is just to much t choose from. So by having it in St. Louis this year with so many people wanting to see haunt tours The Darkness is a good one to have. Huh.

So yeah the Darkness is going to help Transworld this year, but with that being said a real buyer/seller show doesn't need ANY tours of ANY kind.

The reason for having the show is for the ideas the education the business that you can conduct during the event. That supercedes everything by a MILE!

THIS IS THE TIME FOR VENDORS TO SHINE so you don't want a haunt tour to be the reason you go to these things.

Moving the show next year is a bad idea, you just can't get much better than St. Louis. If the show does move I'd vote for Orlando I love Orlando.

Larry

spookologist
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I think the key thing for The Haunt Show is to establish itself before moving anywhere, just like others have done in the past. Look at the success of MHC over the last few years, they have grown so much and it seems like EHC is doing the same. Hauntcon does move around and is a great option for people to see other haunts.

In my opinion, keep it in St Louis for a couple of year then evaluate.

I would also keep it somewhat convenient for most major vendors. Chicago in late March would be ok, other options, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Greensboro or Charlotte, Atlanta, as well as others mentioned in other posts. New England would be cool but not feasible though.

Maybe a poll to see what haunts would be the willing to open for this type of tour could help too.

Wayne
www.trailofterror.com

MDKing
01-05-2009, 06:56 AM
New Orleans would be a fun option. I've never been but they are sometimes referred to as the most Haunted City in America....

Allan

HauntedMemphis
01-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I personally would prefer it not move every year. However, if it were to rotate, I think the key would be to have locations picked two years in advance. Doing this could avoid confusion, allow haunts to plan tours, and allow both vendors and buyers plenty of time to be on top of logistics.

I know other industries that have national conventions that move around the country often plan that far in advance to keep things going smooth.

On another note, I know that one of the National Hobby Store conventions is in Chicago, and Chicago is terrible to deal with due to expenses, especially with the unions.

maliciousstudios
01-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Transworld Haunt Show 2010 - U.S. TOUR
-------------------------------------------------------

North American Dates 2008/2009

* All shows and ticket availability subject to change

Date Location Venue Tix
01/12/2009 Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center Info
01/13/2009 Detroit, MI Joe Louis Arena Info
01/15/2009 Washington, DC Verizon Center SOLD OUT
01/17/2009 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center SOLD OUT
01/18/2009 Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden SOLD OUT
01/26/2009 Chicago, IL Allstate Arena Info
01/27/2009 Chicago, IL Allstate Arena Info
01/29/2009 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum SOLD OUT
01/31/2009 Newark, NJ Prudential Center SOLD OUT
02/01/2009 Newark, NJ Prudential Center SOLD OUT

Yeah I heard Transworld kicks ass in concert....lol

** Please lets keep it somewhere for a bit, Its starting to feel like I need to visit Ticket Master to get tickets. **

robos99
01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow, 2 shows at the Allstate? If the first two sell out will they add a third? Personally I'd rather see it at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater, and then at Alpine Valley the very next day....Allstate is just a terrible venue.

maliciousstudios
01-05-2009, 12:09 PM
wher do I purchase my Transworld WORLD TOUR T-SHIRT? ....lol