PDA

View Full Version : OUR HAUNT HISTORY REVEALED... Check it out!!!

drfrightner
01-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Now let the discussion rage... how did this industry get started? Who did more to get the industry started and how did it all happen. Clearly this image proves there was a book, a group, that had a major hand in getting this industry started. By no means do I think the JC's started the industry, clearly it was there in some form and the JC took the idea to be a major fund raiser. But this group saw the nationwide potential in it and probably wrote the first manual, book or something to promote the idea of people building them.

Check it out...

THANKS ROBERT!!!!

Larry

mikeq91
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I think that this is a very interesting topic simply because theres so little information out there about it. I did a small presentation last year on the origins of haunted houses, but it was very difficult to find sources on it (granted I did it on sort of short notice).

But in my minimal research, it seems like our industry sort of sprouted from the amusement industry. There were the "tunnels of love" which were primitive dark rides that started in the late 1800's, which eventually became more like what we think of as a dark ride. But when and how did the traditional haunted houses begin? I'd be very interested to hear more about this.

Jim Warfield
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
The "Tunnel of Love" became a scary dark ride when Mary Ann brought Billy along and Bobby found out they were going there , after Mary Ann first had taken Bobby there last week.
Bobby hid in the tunnel and waited.....
insert evil laugh NOW~

JamBam
01-12-2009, 06:50 AM
I have feelers out on a couple of different threads on the Jaycees interest in this. I did find out that the Louisville Jaycees may have done a haunt in 1965. Our haunt started in 1968, but the chairman doesn't remember where they got the idea.