PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard walls

Floor8Horror
01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I have 8' by 8' wooden frames and I want to cover them with STURDY cardboard and then paint a scene on the cardboard. Does anyone know where I can order big sheets of STURDY cardboard. Or any other ideas to make these scenes.

asanve
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
I have 8' by 8' wooden frames and I want to cover them with STURDY cardboard and then paint a scene on the cardboard. Does anyone know where I can order big sheets of STURDY cardboard. Or any other ideas to make these scenes.

I have a friend whose husband works for an elevator company and she brings us HUGE cardboard boxes and they're fairly sturdy. Try an elevator company. Hope it pans out for you.

Jim Warfield
01-16-2009, 05:17 PM
If anyone finds some of that big cardboard i'm looking for some too! I want to build a full-sized replica of a 1940 P-40 Warhawk fighter plane and fly it to the Oshkosh fly in next year.
Anybody have a really good Allison V-12 engine for one of these too?
Anybody have alot of really strong glue?
I can't even force myself to absent-mindedly eat any more white paste.
I need better glue.
Anybody have any 50 cal. machine guns?
Ammo?
Fighter pilot helmet?
Goggles?
Parachute?
Tail wheel?

monsterwax
01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a P-40 tail wheel you could use, but I would need it back when you're done (if you survive). I'm not positive it's 1940 either, it could be 1944 vintage, but I think it was the same design. I might also have the engine around here as well, but I'm pretty sure that it has frozen up.

monsterwax
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey, good news, I found it! But unfortunately, I was right about it being frozen up. So I'm not sure it will help much. But if you want to pick it up, it's yours.

Maybe you should start a new thread on this project, Jim, cause you're still going to need a bunch more stuff to make it work, and you wouldn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

Greg Chrise
01-16-2009, 08:45 PM
You will need to find a box factory. The kind that custom makes boxes, has the machines that cut them, fold them and print things onto card board. They have 4x8 stacks of any thickness or number of wall thicknesses you could dream of. Before they are made into something.

But, I have no idea if you are located near a factory I know about or if you are in the middle of the desert. If so ask some homeless people where the good cardboard is.

So let me get this right, cardboard to be used outdoors? Is it just a few hours performance ending in a firey climax? Will there be video? Or is it going to be the very first recyclable haunted house? After the event making the walls into a compressed bail and selling it for $4 a bail?

I once made a big puppet theater out of cardboard and latex paint. I was 8 years old though. It lasted a few years. I never hit the pro circuit with it.

Jim Warfield
01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Nice to see that you've got my tail..wheeel!
I have some hot rod additive for engines to free up that frozen situation ("Frozen" and you live in Florida!? It was --30 here yesterday)
If the engine doesn't do so well I might be able to hitch a ride, have it towed to the fly-in by one of those big jets that pass over every night at midnight full of UPS packages I'll just put a big UPS sticker on a wing.
I'm saving empty plastic gallon milk jugs for my haunted house walls. Fill them with sand and pile them up, on their side of course.
I'll need everyone to send me some sand, the amount of naturally ocurring "sand" I dump out of my underware once a week won't stack up too high, too quickly.

oscodatownship
01-18-2009, 10:17 AM
If I understand correctly, one of the things that you needed was some strong glue for cardboard. Here in Oscoda, Michigan, we have an annual Snowbox Derby, in which contestants make a "sled" out of cardboard and race down a hill. I have found that drywall adhesive works very well with carboard. It comes in a large caulking tube, and can be spread with a scrap piece of cardboard. The only downside that we have noticed is that it puts out some nasty fumes, so it may be best to use in an open area. It can be found at most harware stores. Good luck!