PDA

View Full Version : Best way to present yourself to sponsors

NateTheGreat
01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what all of you think (or have experience) is the best way to approach a potential sponsor. Is e-mail, a letter, or walking in to the company in tuxes the best way to present yourself? Also what information would you think vital to include for a first year large professional haunt in Northern California?
Any advise whatsoever would be much appreciated on this subject =).

~NatetheGreat
Fearoverload.com

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-20-2009, 01:14 AM
This questions been asked SO many times in SO many different ways. It all boils down to the same thing. You either want to impress them with having a THOROUGH knowledge of EVERY aspect of you business and the SUCCESS you plan to have. OR impress them with a amazing sense of passion. Neither seem to work unless you've already been open for a few years and have a large tunrout. Plus the first one is a safer bet with more money based sponsors. You just got be an actor and read the up coming meat.

Jim Warfield
01-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Then a gasoline bomb tied to my chest won't work?
"Anybody got a light?"
I tend to think if you were a well known chronic gambler that you would have better odds of getting sponser money or a loan than if you told them you wanted that help for a haunted attraction.
We get no respect!
Until a few successful seasons down the road when you can wave real money in their face, so don't spend it all on toys in the meantime! (or bubble gum!)

mikeq91
01-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I saw tatoo give a presentation on this subject over the summer, so heres a few points i picked up. A letter or email are generally the best because you don't want to put them on the spot. This also allows you to completely put your thoughts together in a way that will impress the potential sponsor. He also stressed the importance of doing your homework on it. Has the company had any previous sponsorships and what sort of organizations do they tend to sponsor? Try and find some connection between your event and the potential sponsor (like similar target group, some connection to halloween, etc.). And most importantly, think of it from the point of view of the potential sponsor- what are THEY getting out of it? Why should they sponsor you? Also try and assign a dollar value to what you are giving them (like for example, how much is having their logo on all your flyers worth to you?).

Again this was all from tatoo's presentation at the new england haunt club gathering, it was fantastic.

hope that helps,
mike

Haunts of Richmond
01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I was wondering what all of you think (or have experience) is the best way to approach a potential sponsor. Is e-mail, a letter, or walking in to the company in tuxes the best way to present yourself?

1.) Pick businesses you think would be best to sponsor your haunt.
2.) Call them first. Ask to speak with the person in charge of marketing and advertising. Tell the marketing person/owner who you are representing ("Hi, I'm John Johnson calling from Jim Bob's Haunted Barn.") Schedule a time to come in and talk to the business about sponsorship opportunities and how you feel it would benefit THEM.
3.) Create a proposal with sponsorship levels. Bronze Level would be for $300 and include a link/logo on your website... signage at your haunt... and tickets, etc. Then just step up the sponsorships from there. Maybe a Silver Level for $600 and a Gold Level for $1,000. Gold Level can get them a logo on your t-shirt or something really valuable.
4.) No tux is needed (unless your haunt has a James Bond theme), but still dress nice... it's a business meeting! Bring your proposal sheet, as well as information on your haunt... including expected number of people, how long you've been running the haunt, etc. etc. ... and be sure to show how you're giving their business VALUE for their MONEY.

At least that's how we approach sponsorships. Any other ideas?