PDA

View Full Version : Hey Rusty! (From the CFX guys)

CFX
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
They say that imitation is one of the best forms of flattery . . . . and if you type the URL "CFXMASKS.com" you will be re-directed to SPFX masks’ website. Rusty, as much as we appreciate your faith in our products, we think that attempting to steer CFX customers to your website is taking that saying a bit too far. Is there a reason why you feel the need to lean on CFX’s reputation of quality in order to sell masks? We Apologize in advance for the public nature of our query, but we are left with no choice as you don’t reliably answer your phone or return e-mails.

Ken Decker & Wes Branton Owners and managers of Composite Effects LLC.
www.CompositeEffects.com
E-Mail: Info@CompositeEffects.com
office: (225) 756 - 7875
Fax: (225) 756 - 7843

So long as we are posting (typically were too busy being the global leader of silicone masks to post as often as we’d like in forums) We’d like to take this opportunity to clarify a rumor that several of our customers have brought to our attention. Apparently the rumor goes that we, (Ken and Wes) were at one point partners with or sculptors for SPFX, and that we got upset with Rusty and formed our own company.
This could not be further from the truth. Fact is that I (Ken) a native of Baton Rouge made my first silicone mask the same year that SPFX launched their original line. (At the time I was working for the 13th Gate as a makeup FX artist) after seeing the strengths and weaknesses of silicone and how it performed in a professional haunt setting I partnered up with a fellow classmate and monster enthusiast of mine (Wes, also a Baton Rouge native) to form CFX in August of 2006. Both Wes and I had extensive mold making and sculptural experience and were able to adapt my 5 Years of experiences with the 13th Gate to develop a foam latex and silicone mask product line which continues to set the industry standards for haunt makeup FX. In short the guys at CFX have never, nor will we ever have any affiliation with Rusty Slusser, SPFX masks, REAL-U masks, or any of its subsidiaries

Nightgore
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
LOVE... you guys! We plan on buying a mask or two from you all... see you at TW! -Tyler

mindtumor
01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
What is the CFX web URL? I haven't been able to find their site.

Nightgore
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.compositeeffects.com

-Tyler

mindtumor
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks! I was having a hard time finding it on google for some reason.

CFX
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey mindtumor, thanks for the heads up on that, Ive edited the post to reflect your question.

graystone
01-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Your reputation stands on its own! For someone to do this is just out right fourm of theft. It seems to me that they feel the need to use your good name to gain customers! It also seems these new customers were looking for you when he felt the need to steal them away. Best thing to do is make him make a statement to the Industry on why he felt the need to do this. I know now why he wants to post all the mask pics here. He knows he would get very few orders if he were at Transworld.

Larry is going to say I am sticking my nose in to cause drama but let me tell you first hand these guys and this company CFX is another one of the great honest and up front vendors out there. SOMETHING WE NEED!!!!

Rusty loose the URL and let your name stand alone! How would you feel if someone did this to you? Your butt would be right here doing the same thing. Man play ball and play fair!

Ken, Wes my advice to you guys my friends!!!! Post this on the fright fourms. New people are coming there all the time and should be made aware of how some people need to use your name. Shane and its I have never had a CFX mask to tear and I cant say that for the knock off company. Shane this time!!!

P.S. Ken, Wes when will the new Insane Shane mask and the Loony Larry mask be coming out will they be ready for Transworld?

The Head Cracker
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
CFX does have some good products, but silicone masks is not one of them. The eye holes are way too big and the neck buckles when you turn your head.

I own two spfxmasks and was expecting the same quality when i got my freddy kruger mask in the mail from CFX - but when i opened the box my face actually felt blood rush to it - its that feeling of embarrasment as a collector when we've bought a piece that looked great in the pictures but looked no way near as good as you expected when you opened the box you were so excited to get in the mail.

People posting here must not have owned a spfx mask before. How can you even try to dis this quality?

http://www.fxmasks.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1798

You can talk about who came first, it really doesn't matter but no one comes close to that realism.

My advice is both cfx and spfx should play nice with each other. Rusty should probably not redirect any URLs and CFX should probably not slander SPFX on their site and on obviously biased youtube videos like kinghumans SPFX vs CFX rant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbuu3O9luM

There must be enough room in this market for both companies to do well.

graystone
01-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Whats ole Rusty gonna give you for that shameless plug? As you can see hes always posting mask pics here. CFX on the other hand don't have time to play here they are actually busy! Anyway Cracker enjoy your free mask. Rusty were still waiting for a statement from you!!!Shane and its sure is funny to me ole Cracker has made a whopping 16 post in # years Shane this time!

N2SPOOKINU
01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey Rusty, speaking of waiting. I'm still waiting for the e-mail you said I would get to send my vampire mask back to you for the repairs. Please pm me/ e-mail me or call me Thanks, Greg (573)881-7061

The Head Cracker
01-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Whats ole Rusty gonna give you for that shameless plug? As you can see hes always posting mask pics here. CFX on the other hand don't have time to play here they are actually busy! Anyway Cracker enjoy your free mask. Rusty were still waiting for a statement from you!!!Shane and its sure is funny to me ole Cracker has made a whopping 16 post in # years Shane this time!

What is wrong with SPFX posting pics here? At least he doesn't photoshop his mask pictures to hide the seams like all the pics on CFX site. I WISH I could get a free $700 mask just for typing a paragraph in a thread. I haven't gotten anything free unlike KingHuman has from CFX for posting biased reviews and youtube contests.

This thread is bullshit and I would guess that rusty won't even stoop to this level to post anything in this thread - buy whatever you want from whoever you want - end of story - you don't even deserve to be enlightened - you're right CFX is the best - good luck winning the prize at that costume contest.

Speculo
01-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Aw man...Is this going to be another "Haunted Portraits" type deal? I hope not! I can say I buy from both, and have had good customer service from both and will buy from both again. The real battle is never on these boards, it is in the product. The one who makes the coolest stuff for the best value will always do well.

In most cases I think haunters will fall for the MASK they like or need and that is the one they will buy no matter who makes it. Its like those changing portraits, I have both Haunted Memories and Ghoulish Gallery, we picked the paintings we liked from BOTH vendors.

These masks companies really do have a different style from each other and I think they will both do well until the market for these things gets saturated - and as long as they produce NEW designs that will be a long time before that happens.

Oh well I got nothing more to say. It seems like there is a lot going on under the surface here we don't know about, I just hope they get it worked out - we need em both!

Thanks!

drfrightner
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
I think its great that SPFX is promoting their new masks and I think 99.9% of the people I've seen love seeing the new stuff. I hope they continue to show us whats in the cooker! That is what the net is for.

I also hope that CFX when they are ready will unleash their lineup on Hauntworld. I can't wait.

Speaking for myself our haunts have not bought ANY silicone masks from anyone until NOW! We bought masks from CFX and SPFX masks. I think both companies have an amazing product and hope both continue on into the future.

As for the issue of cfxmasks.com pointed to spfx site this is nothing new we've seen this dozens of times, one company just trying to get the edge over another, happen in all industies. However that doesn't mean its the right thing to do, because yeah I'd be miffed as well. I like Ben hope that everyone can simply come to an agreement and move on.

Unlike the portrait fight that ended up in court costing both sides thousands of dollars, lets be honest those portraits are just one time buys, and once you bought them you probably will never go back to the well... these two companies here are both paving the way for a new future for haunted house owners to put their actors in top notch masks only seen in Hollywood.

I hope the url stops pointing to the one site and everyone just get back to making the best new products that can be offered at Transworld St. Louis.

There is a BIG FUTURE for these two companies in our industry and I like Ben hope it stays that way!!!

Larry

PS: I can't wait to see my new masks from both companies!!!

mindtumor
01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
CFX does have some good products, but silicone masks is not one of them. The eye holes are way too big and the neck buckles when you turn your head.

I own two spfxmasks and was expecting the same quality when i got my freddy kruger mask in the mail from CFX - but when i opened the box my face actually felt blood rush to it - its that feeling of embarrasment as a collector when we've bought a piece that looked great in the pictures but looked no way near as good as you expected when you opened the box you were so excited to get in the mail.

People posting here must not have owned a spfx mask before. How can you even try to dis this quality?

You can talk about who came first, it really doesn't matter but no one comes close to that realism.

My advice is both cfx and spfx should play nice with each other. Rusty should probably not redirect any URLs and CFX should probably not slander SPFX on their site and on obviously biased youtube videos like kinghumans SPFX vs CFX rant.

There must be enough room in this market for both companies to do well.

I bought a CFX mask last year and I thought it was great. The eyeholes on the one I have are just fine and I don't have any neck buckling. Both companies look like they have good masks.

CFX
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
First off I’d like to say that my intentions for this thread is not to start a “Bash Rusty”, or a "whose mask is better" thread, that’s for the customer to decide for their own. It is simply one business owner publicly calling another owner out on what I regard as shady and unethical business practices. (A topic which has yet to be answered by the person to whom it was addressed, and judging by how quickly the link was removed I know that he has read the original post, but opted not to comment)

Secondly the eyes . . . OH the eyes . . . . As I said in my original post all of our masks are made with the professional haunter in mind. No other mask making company knows what haunters want better than we do. Why is that you may ask?? Well from mid September through about the first weekend in November I’ll shut my shop down around 3:00 pm and head on over to the 13th Gate Haunted house, I get there around 3:30 and for the next hour and a half prep the makeup room. The rest of the makeup staff (9 more artists) and first volley of actors show up around 5:00 pm, and for the next two hours Wes and myself head up the makeup department and get about 80 – 90 actors into makeup and ready to open the show by 7:00. Once makeup is on I’ll change into a 13th Gate “STAFF” shirt and join the security team to assist with removal of trouble patrons, Frightened children, or handicap follows. During this time I constantly keep an eye on our makeups, as well as costumes and silicone masks. I get to see exactly how our products (and our competitors products) are holding up. Which is great because there is no better way to check on the durability of a product than to physically witness it in action, in the actual environment for which it is built. We also get to see how our products stack up against our competition. When the lights go up at the end of a show I head back to the makeup room to remove makeup, and stick around for the end of show meeting where the actors tell the maintenance staff what broke, and share with the rest of the cast funny stories, or security issues that happened that night. It has been this way for the last EIGHT years, and will be the same this year, and how ever many more years Dwayne feels like keeping us around.

During the time I spend helping out with security I personally witness actors being swung at ALL night long , in fact I get clocked in the face at least once a night just going in and out of security doors. (all of you haunters know exactly what I am talking about) I have helped actors to the cast room during the middle of a show many times to nurse a bloody nose because they couldn’t move out of the way fast enough. Truth is that whether a patron is intentionally trying to hurt an actor, or are just swatting as a reaction to the intensity of the environment, actors take allot of abuse and so does the makeup/masks. It is for this reason that our eye holes are the way they are. An actor needs to look scary, but above all they need to be able to react to the patrons in the room and move out of the way if necessary to protect their safety. They can’t do that if they can’t see out of the mask. It is for this reason that I will NEVER apologize for the way we cut our eye holes. Further more all of our masks are pictured on our website both on a person in an action shot, and on a black head form so the buyer can see exactly what they are buying. (The only photo shop that has ever happened on the display pics is to adjust the color of the iris to match contacts that are available)

In closing I’d like to go on record saying what I have openly said to my customers including Larry, Ben and Dwayne , “ The masks made by Rusty and his crew are on the surface beautiful masks, they really are! *”

Rusty, you can quote me on that if you like, in fact print it on a vinyl poster ship it to me and I will personally sign it with a wide tipped Sharpie!

I don’t mind the competition, in fact I welcome it, I love making masks, and I love pushing the envelope. As more silicone mask companies come into play we are bound to see new advances in the silicone arena, this is an eventuality that I welcome and embrace with open arms. But if one company is going to have an edge over the other, lets be professional about it.

Ken Decker CFX

P.S. Sorry this was so long.
*If this quote is used it must be used in its entirety and without alteration.

Nightgore
01-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow...

Well I can't wait to see your guys new stuff at TW! We plan on buying one while we are there! SO EXCITED! -Tyler

The Head Cracker
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Well, I'm glad to see things getting a little more civil...there is plenty of room in the market for two companies to make silicone masks.

Regarding the eye holes, I don't work at a haunted house - I like to wear realistic masks and play pranks on people. When you look at pictures like this you can see how important it is to the realism to not have huge gaping eyeholes as it would ruin the whole illusion

I don't want to have to put makeup around my eyes every time i want to slide on my mask and play a quick prank. Also makeup getting in your eyes is not good for your eyes so I'd rather avoid having to do that at all.

Maybe your company is more geared toward haunts and rustys is more geared towards pranksters which actually makes sense because he has more realistic line while you have more creature line of products.

CFX
01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Cracker, I think you hit the nail on the head! To be honest I wish there were a way for us to cut our eyes closer and still have the mask fit such a wide range of faces safely. But in this case we need to sacrifice a bit of "WOW" for the practicality of a mask being worn over the 5 - 6 hour span that an actor is asked to wear it on a given night.

-Ken-

CFX
01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
looking forward to it Tyler.
-K-

graystone
01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I am hurt but I will get over it!! Here you looking forward to meeting Tyler but you say nothing about the Famous Mouth Of The South!!!! I am hurt!!!!!! Tyler you may have to come up missing!!!! Also Tyler be sure to pick up the Insane Shane mask and the Loony Larry one!!!! Shane and its pass the tissue Shane this time.

Nightgore
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Shane, I'm sure he didn't mean to pick favorites! ;)... And if such a masks were to be produced I'd get them! And they'd better be sold in pairs! hahahaha... -Tyler

The Head Cracker
01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Both companies seem like cool guys to me, and like i said there is more than enough room in the silicone masks market to accomodate (sp?) both - so i wish both companies the best of luck!!!

Silicone masks are definitely the way to go, anyone who is into latex masks and has not made the leap into buying a silicone mask really doesn't know what they are missing!

graystone
01-23-2009, 07:24 PM
I think the "cracker" part means Crack Head! Why would you be so disrespectful to CFX and place the website to SPFX in your post? This is rude and disrespectful to them. Cut out the free ads everyone sees where your going with this! Shane and its thats a low blow. Not to have posted many post you sure all about posting about them. Go collect your free mask or call Rusty and tell him to send you your pay check! Shane this time!!

http://www.compositeeffects.com

The Head Cracker
01-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey Greystone, get back to me when you see some peachfuzz appearing. Shane Shane Shane. Buy what you want. I'll buy Shane what i want Shane WTF.

You obviously are flaming and aren't representing CFX because they seem cool to me, unlike shane you shane. Shane did i mention shane?

stafford
01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Allright, lets try to turn this into something positive, I seriously have a question for either company, about their products.

We own an SPFX zombie mask, one of the best looking masks I have ever seen. We purchased it with one actor in mind, our Acting Director, to wear (and by the way, the customer service was just fine). Opening night, he attempted to wear the mask. About half way through the night, he asked me if he could take it off, and go with makeup, because he was having a hard time seeing through the eye holes. That combined with the contact lenses he was wearing just wasn't going to work. I tried the mask on it didn't fit well around my eyes (I pride myself in not being a "dummy" head, but more on that later).

Fast forward to the following year at Transworld, where the very same actor tried on a couple of Composite Effects products. The very first words out of his mouth were that he could see fine, and it fit his face better, and it was lighter/more comfortable.

So I can understand the posts and opinions about the eye holes.

However, unless either one of the companies masks were made to fit a cast of the head of the actual actor that will be wearing it, you could potentially have this problem with either company, right? So, how do you remedy this? Can you stuff the back or top of the mask with something to make it fit better? I have some ideas on this, but let's hear what the companies that make them have to say about it. Lets hear the tips and tricks. Give a solution to a potential problem in advance. I understand that they are making these to fit onto some manequin head or mask armature, so unless you are a "dummy" head, it's probably not gonna fit you perfectly.

Or as an alternative, will either company, for an addtional cost of course, make a mask to fit the lifecast of an actor?

My take on the products, visually is that they are both absolutely fantastic!, but different (as with a lot of products, including haunted houses that I have visited). SPFX masks look so real, especially with the new custom hair that they have added to some of their designs. When you are up close looking at them, they look real, the paint, skin texture, everything. Composite Effects is the way to go if you want a more fantasy/creature looking character, and I think they are absolutely stunning.

But going back to my questions, we will probably buy more of these masks, but my decision may be made in part by how the questions are answered.

There is room for both of these companies, and many more. Competition will improve the products even more right? I wish them both the best, and have been thoroughly impressed with their products so far. I look forward to seeing how their products become even better over time.

Chris

graystone
01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
And Crack Head I mean Cracker thanks for removing the ad. That is in much better taste. Guys I may come off a lil strong but these guys have awsome mask and do great work!!!!! Shane and its I cant wait to see the new mask as TW. Shane this time!

drfrightner
01-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Shane,

Are you suggesting one of these companies make a 'Larry Mask'... LOL

That would be funny! One famous company once wanted to mold me for an electric chair...now that would have been funny huh? Pull the switch on Larry nightly! LOL

I should have done it it would have been a riot! I think people would like to see me turned into a fried sizzled Larry or a dead Larry mask. LOL

Larry

CFX
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Chris,

There are a couple of solutions to your “loose mask” problem. What we commonly recommend is that you go to a paint store and purchase a “head sock” this is just basically a thin cotton ski mask which has the face cut out. Then glue enough upholstery foam to the back of it to make the mask fit a bit tighter. In addition to snugging up the mask, the sock will also help to wick sweat away from your skin. The second option is to eat a bunch of Twinkies.

Regarding custom masks, Sure we can build you a custom mask, we do it all the time. Pending on how close your head is to the head form we already use we can either modify it a bit to better suite you (I’m not sure if you have tried on our “year two” masks, but they are all made on a Joe form which is slightly smaller than the Zombie we had the first year, we made a smaller Joe because everyone said that they would like the mask to fit more snug. That whole “listen to your customers” thing in action. The inside of the new masks measured around the brow is 21.5”) . Or you can fly over to Baton Rouge where we will sit you down in front of a laser, and take a 3-D scan of your head and shoulders. Then alter it a bit in a few key spots to ensure a snug fit. Once we have a viable virtual copy of your head the file moves on over to a 3-D printer where we get a life size copy of your altered head. From there the sculpting and molding process are the same as all of our other masks. (while this process sounds expensive it is actually faster, and cheaper than a standard life cast, plus there is no mess)

This 3-D printing method is how we came up with our “Average Joe ” sculpting form, only instead of using one person, it is an average of multiple peoples dimensions, that way we have the most versatile fit. Gotta love technology!!!
Give me a call for further information. I’ll be in the shop all weekend.

Ken
Office : 225 756 7875

Rusty, were still waiting to hear from you, your customers are vouching for your integrity. I think that you owe them an explanation just as much as you owe Wes and I one.

The Head Cracker
01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
What is it you are waiting for Rusty to say, his webmaster or whoever obviously removed the cfxmasks.com link for you guys which was cool if him to do, he didn't have to do that - that's an ethical decision not a legal one. He's got a forum www.fxmasks.com where people vouch for his integrity and the quality of his products everyday so anyone looking for more information can go there.

Quick question, not trying to stir up the pot or anything, but did you guys put king human up to making that biased cfx vs spfx video? Kinghuman is still making videos to this day with his old man mask so obviously he likes spfx too. It's just that he has one video where he's flashing cash for a contest for CFX and then makes another video where he's obviously slamming SPFX saying outrageous things like "it takes 10 minutes to put a spfx mask on" and doesn't even put the proper website address on the video which was of course intentional. The guy bought 5 or 6 spfx masks, of course he knows the name of the website.

I would like to think that he did that garbage on his own and its not something you guys put him up to. That to me is just as unethical as pointing the competitions domain name to your own because thousands of people see that video and legally it probably is worse than pointing a domain name because its could be considered slander - in this case i think it really backfired because its so over the top biased and you can tell by the user comments that no one is buying it.

I think Rusty and you guys should all play nice, I'd like to see that! Maybe its a good think this thread was made.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
First of all do you have a link to this video that you are talking about so I can see it for myself. I happen to know a thing or too about that kind of legality.

Second, both parties are stupid. Believe me it will all make sense at the end. I love both products. The CFX masks look amazing and I plan on buying all of em. Same goes for the SPFX masks. Look amazing and I plan to buy the ones that dont look stupid to me. All of the noses look the same but thats a different topic.

CFX was extremely stupid for bringing up this thread. You dumbasses tried to sling mud and didnt expect to get dirty. They did something wrong and now everyone who reads this thread is gonna either take CFX side or try to find some dirt of CFX to vouch for SPFX. Very not smart on your part. SPFX did something wrong, not illegal, but wrong. They did use a url name that is very similar to CFX. Because whos gonna remember Composite whatever. I cant even remember the website name and ive been to it about a thousand times. CFX sticks in the brain. SPFX was relying on that to somewhat "borrow" potential customers. I use borrow because its not illegal its strategy but still immoral.

So both of you are wrong. And no you should definately not play nice. Its better for us consumers. We get bettter deals that way.

MUAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Jim Warfield
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
You can turn up that measuring laser and peel off some "tissue" to make the mask fit, send the tissue to Shane, he requested some a few posts ago.
What!? Posting the word "Tissue" on a haunt forum meant Kleenex?

The Head Cracker
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
First of all do you have a link to this video that you are talking about so I can see it for myself. I happen to know a thing or too about that kind of legality.

Second, both parties are stupid. Believe me it will all make sense at the end. I love both products. The CFX masks look amazing and I plan on buying all of em. Same goes for the SPFX masks. Look amazing and I plan to buy the ones that dont look stupid to me. All of the noses look the same but thats a different topic.

CFX was extremely stupid for bringing up this thread. You dumbasses tried to sling mud and didnt expect to get dirty. They did something wrong and now everyone who reads this thread is gonna either take CFX side or try to find some dirt of CFX to vouch for SPFX. Very not smart on your part. SPFX did something wrong, not illegal, but wrong. They did use a url name that is very similar to CFX. Because whos gonna remember Composite whatever. I cant even remember the website name and ive been to it about a thousand times. CFX sticks in the brain. SPFX was relying on that to somewhat "borrow" potential customers. I use borrow because its not illegal its strategy but still immoral.

Sorry, heres the video of kinghuman sponsoring the CFXmasks costume contest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RKbqkfKSxM&feature=channel_page

And here's the shameless B.S. biased review:

Here's a video of kinghuman he made two weeks ago where he is wearing his spfx oldman mask (he's made dozens of videos with the spfx oldman under a different youtube name) - personally i think he stretched out the vampire mask because it's the same size as the oldman mask which fits him perfectly. I can't say that for a fact though, but i own 4 spfxmasks and all fit the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoGdPqScM0c&feature=channel_page

drfrightner
01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
If you ask me he made that video to personally go out of his way to trash one company over the other. The whole thing looked like a set up to me... what a bonehead!

It came across as a personal grudge or something. I wouldn't pay two seconds of time listening to what that guy said. Look here is the deal...

There is no reason to be trashing one company because you like them while playing up the other, or vice versa. Both companies make great products.

How about this ... both companies should simply allow YOU to wear these masks at the show and be your own judge.

I say look at the lineups and buy the masks YOU think fit the best, and look the best based on what YOU ARE DOING!

That is the ONLY way to judge what is best for you... I wouldn't run over to SPFX booth and buy something before seeing what both have to offer then making your choices.

I think CFX has more monster masks than SPFX, which is what I want MONSTER MASKS! Seems like SPFX masks will alter their lineup some based on the photos I've seen posted.

Last year CPFX masks won our user poll just barely over SPFX it was close and I mean real close... which tells me about 50% like one while the other 50% like the other. However with anything what have you done for me lately is the key...

Everything can switch around on a dime based on what these two companies bring to the table this year... CPFX could blow out everyone if they have the best stuff, and vice versa for anyone else selling these types of products. Its a game every year to come up with the best new products, out do your competition, and then market your products to the consumer.

I will say again the future is bright for both companies as more and more haunts look for this sort of HIGH END product.

The future of vending will be for companies who can help haunted houses make their actors MORE REAL!!!! This is the future!

Larry

hauntedhousenut
01-24-2009, 03:51 PM
If you ask me he made that video to personally go out of his way to trash one company over the other. The whole thing looked like a set up to me... what a bonehead!

It came across as a personal grudge or something. I wouldn't pay two seconds of time listening to what that guy said. Look here is the deal...

There is no reason to be trashing one company because you like them while playing up the other, or vice versa. Both companies make great products.

How about this ... both companies should simply allow YOU to wear these masks at the show and be your own judge.

I say look at the lineups and buy the masks YOU think fit the best, and look the best based on what YOU ARE DOING!

That is the ONLY way to judge what is best for you... I wouldn't run over to SPFX booth and buy something before seeing what both have to offer then making your choices.

I think CFX has more monster masks than SPFX, which is what I want MONSTER MASKS! Seems like SPFX masks will alter their lineup some based on the photos I've seen posted.

Last year CPFX masks won our user poll just barely over SPFX it was close and I mean real close... which tells me about 50% like one while the other 50% like the other. However with anything what have you done for me lately is the key...

Everything can switch around on a dime based on what these two companies bring to the table this year... CPFX could blow out everyone if they have the best stuff, and vice versa for anyone else selling these types of products. Its a game every year to come up with the best new products, out do your competition, and then market your products to the consumer.

I will say again the future is bright for both companies as more and more haunts look for this sort of HIGH END product.

The future of vending will be for companies who can help haunted houses make their actors MORE REAL!!!! This is the future!

Larry

I agree, the video was definitley low class, who is this guy, is he a friend of CFX or an enemy of SPFX?

drfrightner
01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
All of the most recent post were deleted because of the foul words, threats and whatever else. It was funny to read Shane ask me to remove posts because someone called him a name... I thought that is censorship? Maybe its not when you don't like what was said but when its you doing the tongue lashing its A-OKAY.

This type of posting is uncalled for by anyone's standards and it was deleted and that doesn't make me a censor. Shane this kind of stuff happens when we constantly fan the flames people go over the edge even though it was wrong and uncalled for.

I agree with you it was uncalled for and it was deleted and hopefully no one calls you those types of names again, and when or if they do I will again erase them no matter if I love you or don't. Wrong is wrong.

Now with all of that being said... STOP FIGHTING!

We have a show coming up soon...can't we focus on something positive???

Larry

PS: I think enough has been said let CFX and SPFX work it out for God sakes.

graystone
01-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Repost what I asked. I asked you to remove it because he jumped CFX, and Nut and Tyler I said and I quote I can hang with the best of them but him jumping them was uncalled for!! He jumped them because they stood up for me. Larry again I can stand alone! And on cencorship I guess its hit and miss huh. Shane and its read the whole post next time. Shane

Jim Warfield
01-25-2009, 02:34 AM
To build a good reputation and mere seconds to see it destroyed. Maybe this is the sort of logic that gets some people so immeadiately wound up and aggressive?
"Reputation" can be a very valuable thing when it comes to sales and sales is what pays those bills...so...?
....and then some people just like to fight..but is it your fight?
Simple questions only need simple answers ..until emotions get involved.

The Head Cracker
01-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Good call by the moderators - this is not censorship, it's maturity - that stuff deserved to get deleted. My apologies for being disrespectful to the board. It might even be a good idea to lock this thread.

N2SPOOKINU
01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
This is an update to the mask I purchased a few years ago and was torn. Rusty from spfx contacted me and took care of the issue. Thanks Rusty for your help. See you at the show!

evilmanor
10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm confused about the allegations made that Rusty Slusser had anything to do with CFXMASKS.com visitors being re-directed to spfxmasks.com

If you do a who-is lookup on the domain name cfxmasks.com (the domain name in question) the owner is Wes Branton (as stated in your original post one of "Owners and managers of Composite Effects LLC.") and the domain name was registered on April 22, 2008.

The original post on this thread was on January 22, 2009?!?

If Wes Branton is the registered owner of the domain name how did Rusty Slusser have anything to do with the re-diretion of web traffic to his site?

Smells fishy to me!

freak 'n' stein
10-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm confused about the allegations made that Rusty Slusser had anything to do with CFXMASKS.com visitors being re-directed to spfxmasks.com

If you do a who-is lookup on the domain name cfxmasks.com (the domain name in question) the owner is Wes Branton (as stated in your original post one of "Owners and managers of Composite Effects LLC.") and the domain name was registered on April 22, 2008.

The original post on this thread was on January 22, 2009?!?

If Wes Branton is the registered owner of the domain name how did Rusty Slusser have anything to do with the re-diretion of web traffic to his site?

Smells fishy to me!

First off, way to beat a dead horse

Second, it's OBVIOUS there has been a change in ownership of the site. That domain registration date isn't April 22, 2008...do a search for another site and you'll see what I mean. I assume you used Network Solutions to do your search...but either way, our site was registered in 2000, has changed owners multiple times since. the "date as of: April 22, 2008" is not the date the site was created...the CURRENT owner of a site is listed under WHOIS

...what a lame for bringing up a resolved issue :/

evilmanor
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
First off, way to beat a dead horse

Second, it's OBVIOUS there has been a change in ownership of the site. That domain registration date isn't April 22, 2008...do a search for another site and you'll see what I mean. I assume you used Network Solutions to do your search...but either way, our site was registered in 2000, has changed owners multiple times since. the "date as of: April 22, 2008" is not the date the site was created...the CURRENT owner of a site is listed under WHOIS

...what a lame for bringing up a resolved issue :/

I found this post from another forum and your right I didn't notice the post prior to mine was almost as old as the original post, but how is it obvious that the domain has changed owners multiple times?

If it was resolved then why wasn't that added to this thread, this thread deleted or at the very least locked?

SPFX (Rusty) was publicly called out on this issue so when I or others read it regardless how old the thread is how are we to know it was resolved?

Matt Marich
10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Once apon a time, there was a mask company called Don Post Studios, they made and sold the most realistic latex mask ever sculpted, Thor Johnson. That was until Rusty came along and blew that out of the water with his realistic human silicone masks. It was a marvel to our industry, but one that had been known about in the Film Industry for years. Most masks were used for stunt characters to double for an actor, these went from low quality latex pours to Foam Masks to high end silicones for full body burns.

Both companies should be commended for excellent product line-up, they offer diversity and choices as Larry said. CFX has amazing Characters while Rusty focuses on more human subjects. Either way, your gonna buy what you think will fit your theme.

I suggested to Rusty years ago that he sell a repair kit for buyers of his masks he was far from receptive in this matter, at that time he felt he was the original guy, silicone and all, a very egotistical stand.

CFX is by far the more friendly and creative team here, Rusty hires celeb sculptures. CFX has range, hands, and now great silicone body parts.

I just hope both companies take care of their health around the raw material, silicosis is a terrible cancer to get.

Matt

freak 'n' stein
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I found this post from another forum and your right I didn't notice the post prior to mine was almost as old as the original post, but how is it obvious that the domain has changed owners multiple times?

If it was resolved then why wasn't that added to this thread, this thread deleted or at the very least locked?

SPFX (Rusty) was publicly called out on this issue so when I or others read it regardless how old the thread is how are we to know it was resolved?

I apologize for using the term "obvious"...I just figured anyone reading would have the "common sense" to use context clues. If the threads have died down since January and here it is the end of the year, one would just assume everything is copacetic or at least both parties are able to be civil at this point. People move on so there is just an understood closure. What good would it do for them to come on here and let the likes of us know their beef is resolved? It wasn't so much as you or others knowing its resolved as it is you trying to continually fan the flames by making a statement like "If Wes Branton is the registered owner of the domain name how did Rusty Slusser have anything to do with the re-diretion of web traffic to his site? Smells fishy to me!" rather than "hey, did everything work out fine?"

...I digress

evilmanor
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I apologize for using the term "obvious"...I just figured anyone reading would have the "common sense" to use context clues. If the threads have died down since January and here it is the end of the year, one would just assume everything is copacetic or at least both parties are able to be civil at this point. People move on so there is just an understood closure. What good would it do for them to come on here and let the likes of us know their beef is resolved? It wasn't so much as you or others knowing its resolved as it is you trying to continually fan the flames by making a statement like "If Wes Branton is the registered owner of the domain name how did Rusty Slusser have anything to do with the re-diretion of web traffic to his site? Smells fishy to me!" rather than "hey, did everything work out fine?"

...I digress

I wasn't trying to fan the flames and I apologized for not realizing this wasn't a current topic. A new post on another forum pointed this thread out and I honestly thought the 4 pages of posts had been going on since January. Like I said I didn't realize it was over/resolved.

I did a who-is and saw the domain name registered to Wes and the record showed created before the original post being started.

Again my apologies as I meant no harm nor was I trying to fan any flames and start any trouble for any involved. There was no resolution posted so how was I to know it had been resolved.

If I had enough issue with someone that I called them out on a public forum and the issue was resolved to my satisfaction wouldn't I have some responsibility to either edit/delete or update the thread?