PDA

View Full Version : Houston Halloween Expo Review

Grimley
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
We finally got back from the Houston show. I have to say that if I didn't know this was a different show I would have sworn I was at Transworld. Everything down to the signage, floor layout, and colors seemed to be almost the same. I would have never known the difference. There was the usual 1/3 paper and party section, 1/3 Major Vendors, and 1/3 smaller vendors breakdown.

There were early bird seminars which I did not attend as most dealt with actual stores and were of no interest. There were the usual fashion shows with lots of scantly clad ladies running amok. There were several bar setups around the floor which was pretty cool so you could get lit while spending your money.

I saw two new companies that interested me. One was Arrival Mask Inc which was a foam latex mask line owned and operated by a set of brothers here in the US. Wholesale prices started around $50-60. Good molds and paint jobs. There was also Stage Frights which makes a line of tombstones and unpainted full face prosthetic which were also very cool. Both of these companies I believe were started by others but then bought by the new owners to keep the lines from dying but I could be wrong.

Distortions new Granny prop was cool you just have to supply the chair and amp. One of the Chinese companies ripped off Distortions Scary Carrie really bad. I could swear it was the exact same mold. Bump in the Night has some new cool masks and props and some really big pig boots. You would have to see the pics I can't really describe them.

There were also the usual Chinese companies dotting the floor. It looks as though Sunstar will take Fitco's place as the mass market mass produced cheap Halloween prop company. I had seen them in the past but this year with a much bigger booth and a fitco vibe.

I took the time to speak to all of my reps from all of the major lines...Rubies, Funworld, PMG, Incharacter and so forth about their feelings on the show and the coming shows this season.
About 9 out of 10 agreed that they liked this show better than any of the Transworld shows. It was cheaper in every respect and the dates allowed them to get their orders to the factories earlier for better arrival dates instead of the late ones we are so use to. Most of the smaller independent vendors said they won't attend any of the other shows and some hoped the Vegas show fails miserably. I talked to some about St Louis but I got a lot of indecision. Every vendor I talked to had very strong opinions one way or the other and openly talked about it.

I personally thought the venue and dates were great and hope this becomes the new buyer show. It all depends on how well they did this year despite the big banner by the doors that already has the dates for next year. Traffic felt really lite like it did in Vegas last year if you went. Many thought it was lite because it was a new show and no one was sure how it would turn out.

Sorry for the pic quality.

Dr Spooktakular
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Good show overall, I'm from Dallas, so it was easy to go to for me. I thought the new clown stuff from Ghoulish Productions was nice, and the new masks from Zagone Studios were very nice. Zagone studios makes some decent masks that require little maintenance and look good to. The Arrival mask guy bought out Scarecrow masks company and is adding a few new things. The one thing I found funny was that Loftus Intl., set up near Zagone's booth, sells Zagones masks for cheaper than Zagone sells at wholesale, and Forum doesn't require you to buy in bulk. They also had this company there selling sound devices that had infrared sensors on them and plyed anywhere from 20s - 10 minute sound bites, depending on the device. The guy said they do IAAPA and sell alot to amusement parks.

stonegate
01-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I was there too....my 1st halloween convention. I enjoyed watching all the girls during the fashion show, but overall the show offered me some areas to expand my home business on. Just wished I could have stayed longer.

I almost bought that rocking chair granny prop--that was a pretty sweet prop. Seen one exhibitor crash their display while they were doing last second setting up Sunday morning---they were right behind Midnight Syndicate. There was also another halloween music group there whose music was pretty good.

Those foam masks were pretty decent, but there was a $500 min order for them, or at least I was told that. The guy at that booth seemed pretty annoyed that Minions Web was casting a web across the isle.

I have some pics, but mostly of the girls from Leg Aveue. :p

Grimley
01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Call the companies back that had min orders. If it was a little slow they may change their mind. The minions web guys asked if they were cool with the webs floating overhead and they said they were ok with it so they should have spoken up.

drfrightner
01-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Did vendors say sales are good or bad? Did vendors say they will also attend the vegas show or if that was it?

Larry

Grimley
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Most vendors said traffic was light but I was there the first day and the beginning of the second day. Most said the busier days are during the week and not the weekend. A few said they were going to Vegas but everyone that did say they were going to Vegas were going to have much smaller booths.

drfrightner
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Post more pictures and send some to me for a tradeshow story follow up.

Did you see many haunt vendors?

Larry

Jim Warfield
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
..and how about the price of the food?
As expensive as the Rosemont?
One post said someone said the show was cheaper? How much? By the booth? Hotels?
whooqures? (just asking for a friend.) hahahaha!

Grimley
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
The only "Haunt" vendors I really saw were companies like Froggys Fog, Midnight Syndicate, Scarecrow, Bloody Mary, and a few Morris items. These were the closest to haunt that were there.

As far as prices we stayed at the Marriot 5 miles away and paid $89/night which was $30 cheaper than the Special rate one that was close by. Food was easy to find from local to fast food it was close and cheap. We walked to a famous seafood restaurant by our hotel. Booth and labor prices for the show I am unfamiliar with. Everyone just kept saying it was cheaper. It's probably listed on their site.

drfrightner
01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
That is the benefit of having a convention center that isn't say a CONVENTION only town like Rosemont. Houston's convention center is part of the city, so I'm sure there are many things nearby. Rosemont is unique in the the whole little community is only about that convention center. Thats it so things are more expensive.

Anyway the bottom line is did people write the orders they had hoped. Did you hear about that? Was the show sold out booths wise...didn't look like it from their floor plan.

Larry

HauntedMemphis
01-27-2009, 12:20 AM
I have a question on one of the pictures. Who was the vendor with the skeleton band, and was it static, or animated?

stonegate
01-27-2009, 04:27 AM
The vendor was Big Stuff Inc and they were static. The only animated props I remember seeing from them were 7 foot x-mas nut crackers.

Dr Spooktakular
01-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Larry,

I would have to say that the show floor was at least 95% full, the only few empty booths were little 10x10's that were near the end and near all the exotic clothing/costume people. The several people I talked to said that it was slower than expected and about 1/2 of those said they will not be attending TW.

Dr Spooktakular
01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Those Big Stuff Inc. guys had some cool stuff, I do have to say that it was very expensive stuff. Everything they had was truly BIG stuff. They had not only Halloween stuff but also Christmas stuff.

drfrightner
01-27-2009, 03:06 PM
I talked to some sources and found that the show is NOT a success for vendors. What they expected traffic wise didn't show up not even close. This could be a case of the bad economy, or that this show is not needed, or wanted to everyone. I think its a combination of many things such as the fact that many of the main buyers now are so few from Walmart to Spirits. The big retailers know the buyers and vice versa and many do business in private showings now.

I'm not so sure Halloween can afford 10 million events and shows.

The people I talked to also said they don't think Vegas will be much better but it might be better than Houston, but only time will tell.

But as of right now I don't think from a buying standpoint the show is a huge success not atleast from what I'm hearing.

Larry

Grimley
01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Larry most of the people I talked to you agreed there are too many shows and were pretty sure Transworld would be forced to put the two shows back together. Especially if Vegas failed miserably. As it was the Houston show had 315+ vendors while Vegas so far has less than 150(including the party and paper section...NOT GOOD) and St Louis which only has 65 vendors listed last time I looked. Transworld better hit the phones and convince some more vendors to show. As far as how well they did today is the last day of the Houston show so in a week or so I will call around and see.

drfrightner
01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Houston and Vegas plus the shows they already have in New York in December there are way too many. The only way you are going to be able to put the Houston and Vegas show back together is if somehow Transworld and Rubies can mend the fence.

There is a lot of fence mending that nees to take place to make that happen I suppose... I think if Houston/Vegas can merge back together that would help the haunt show because more retail vendors could afford a second show for Haunts.

There are TOO MANY SHOWS... what you have is way to much greed, or power struggle stuff going on in the retail side.

I heard Transworld is workng with Chicago again so they could bring them back there in January next year... and try to squash the show. I think its really the only way to make it happen just put them head to head and make people pick the one they trust the most. That will settle it!

Larry

Grimley
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I will let the TW people know in Vegas that there is No way we will go to the frozen wastes in January. They need to open their eyes.

stonegate
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Just a couple pics I took from the show.

drfrightner
01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Lets see some more pics of the show with the girls... LOL

Anyway the show looks DEAD!

Larry

stonegate
01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I have plenty of girly pics. :)

I should have added that those two upper level pics of the show were before opening sunday morning---that's why it looks dead, doors didn't open till 8:30. There were plenty of people there by noon and they were all on the halloween vendors side---the party vendors side was dead.

damon carson
01-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Was those top pics while it was going on or before or after. The girl at the bottom looks pretty lively to me. If ya know what I mean. Nuk Nuk Nuk!
Damon

P.S You must have just replied before I asked if it was a before or after pic of the showroom floor.
thanks

drfrightner
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I agree a tradeshow in Rosemont in the middle of the winter is not my idea of a fun time either. I would not be in favor if myself other than the fact I don't like Rosemont even a little but its just soooo cold there.

I don't know when they are planning but I know they are planning to go back to Rosemont. If I was them I would stay in Vegas to me that is the perfect place for a retail Halloween show because it just gives people all the extra reasons to go.

Haunts with big heavy stuff located mostly on the east coast not so much... but retail sure why not. All of their stuff comes in from China anyway... just across the pond! LOL

Larry

Killer Katie
01-28-2009, 04:07 PM
WHo made those pig boots? They caught my attention right away!

TheNightMare
01-28-2009, 06:36 PM
WHo made those pig boots? They caught my attention right away!

Those were in the Morris Booth

Grimley
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Pig boots are Bump in the Night. You can't see it but on the back side all of the nipples are pierced.

Killer Katie
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Pig boots with peirced nipples?? That is freaking sweet!.... I love them......

drfrightner
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
This just in... I talked to some major RETAILERS who attended the Houston show and it seems the overwhelming opinion is this show was not successful. Turns out now that this show was not as successful as promised everyone is now going to end up going to Vegas.

I doubt that Rubies still goes but who knows. At this point I would say another big production (Houston Show) is very iffy at best. They must NOT have spent nearly enough money on advertisement because this show is looking like a bust.

Is it the economy? Not enough advertisement? Too eary in the year...maybe buyers don't want a show this early after all. Who knows!

Looks like VEGAS here those retailers come after all... what really remains to be seen is did HALF the people go to one and the other half will go to the other and the two shows just hurt each other? Will Vegas show get half of their attendance, did the buyers who showed up in Houston do most of their buying there... don't know yet. Will find out in about 6 weeks when we get a report on Vegas.

Maybe Vegas does the same in attendance as Houston, or maybe everyone goes now. Who knows but this I know for SURE... HALLOWEEN RETAIL DOES NOT NEED TWO SHOWS!

Tradeshows cost way to much money and there is just NO need to get greedy so hopefully Houston thing will just fall flat on its face and won't come back next year. I know the Vegas show isn't sold out more than likey due to the Houston thing.

We'll see how it all plays out! One last thing as well... when will all these retail vendors realize just how important Haunts are to this industry? When? Ever?

Larry

Grimley
01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I have to admit that I placed few orders in Houston and told the Vendors going to Vegas I would order there. My partners are going to Vegas so I would have more input.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I thought Vegas Transworld already passed. Holy tolito maybe I can get into that one. Its only a two hour drive.
Then I can get the pierced nippled pig pumps. What you guys think can I get in there bein a newbie an all?

xxxdirk
01-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Move Haunt & Costume BACK to Chicago in 2010 and have it in Feb or early March!!! Thats my vote!!! If it does happen, you will see me do my happy dance!!

Darkangel
01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Dirk,

No one wants to go back to Chicago except for you and a few others, thousands want it elsewhere. Not trying to be rude but based on the comments I've read the past year or two that seems to be what everyone is saying.

I do agree with you though the Halloween and costume should be together with the haunt, it's all so close ad the haunt section will be too small honestly. Even if the haunt section from last year was 3-4 times bigger, it's still pretty small overall...I say rejoin them I think most people think that's a good idea...

Darkangel

xxxdirk
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Darkangel,

All I know is that they had a good thing going in Chicago. They had good attendence etc. Then they moved to Vegas and it flopped. Houson, from reports here, flopped. Vegas this year will flop again if the early reports are right. St Louis will be sucessful to the extent that many HAUNTERS will go, but I predict that TW will look at the cost of having a seperate show and say its not worth it. I had prediced on this board last year that Tworld was making a huge mistake by splitting up the venue and then deciding to move. Yes, weather in Chicago in March is not Vegas or Orlando, but it is reasonable. The average temp is almost 50. You park your car and walk into the tradeshow. You have the Crowne to hang out at if you want. As far as all the EXTRA things St Louis has to offer, Chicago never had all the extra things, because no one bothered to put anything together. If it does move back to Chicago, and I would be willing to BET it does, almost all of the things St Louis is offering can be done there:

-Thursday night get together at at steak place, done.
-Thursday night tour with lights on of Dreamreapers for $125, mmmm Ken, you want to do that? DONE!! LOL
-Friday night bus tour of a couple of great haunts within 1.5 hours of the Rosemone? Mr Tuxedo and a few other haunts are easily within that drive time.
-Saturday night lights off tour of Dreamreapers followed by party? Yeah I am sure Ken would throw a hell of a party.

As far as hotels, I am paying $102 for the Holiday Inn across the street in St Louis. Pretty sure, that there are hotels fairly close to the Rosemont at the same range. When I attended TW in years past I stayed at a hotel about 15 min away for $80 a night.

The one wild card is the cost of the booths that exhibitors have to pay and all the union crap. But if you are an exhibitor and have a choice between a dead show and not paying as much for a booth, compared to paying a bit more but having the show rock, I know what my choice would be.....

Anyway, again, if I were a betting man, my bet would be Chicago in 2010. The great and powerful evil genius Rondini has spoken!!! LOL

Nightgore
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I'll bet too that TW moves back to Chicago... but not the HAUNT SHOW!!! I mean, we need our own professional show! It'd be a dream come true if MHC could pull the vendors that TW has and be a VENDOR show... that's the ideal situation.

If the HAUNT SHOW moves again, it better not be anywhere NORTH! I've always thought it'd be cool to move TW to Atlanta... then we could get a Netherworld tour! Or how about Kansas City? Or right here in Lexington or Louisville?

Just my .666 cents. -Tyler

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I've been known by many as a Nostra Damus kinda guy.

Heres my prediction......

TRANSWORLD 20-10 WILL BE IN O-A-K H-I-L-L-S.

NOSTRA DAMUS THIS TIME!!!!

damon carson
01-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Not to be bias since I live in Missouri but why not bring the whole thing to St. Louis. We already have the haunt show. The convention center there already said they can hold it. St. Louis is a more central location and the weather is better. Just my thought on the whole thing. Dont get me wrong I like Chicago but driving 4 or 5 hours in bad weather really sucked at times.
Damon

Blank
01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Any pictures of new Bump in the night Killer Klowns?

drfrightner
01-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Ron (Dirk)

Rosemont SUCKS... I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks, although its your opinion, and you are totally entitled to it but ROSEMONT SUCKS!!! The hotels are OUTRAGOUS, you pay a toll to enter the street, NO PLACES TO EAT, BORING, COLD AS HELL, very very very rude union people, and as for you saying hooked up with the retail, most of those so called retail vendors won't give you a catalog, complain about you being there, and 90+% of everyone is someone you'd never buy anything from.

If you want to talk whats best to co-locate with it would be IAAPA PLAIN AND SIMPLE AS THAT... a Halloween retail and attractions do not jive.

Amusement show and Halloween does... too bad IAAPA is in November otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Why you love Rosemont I'll never understand.

Why don't you cool your engines until after you experience something new?

As for your so called claim Vegas FLOPPED... you are dead wrong there because it wasn't a flop at all. It was successful for everyone the problem is it added a termendous amount of cost to vendors because of travel.

One last thing you keep harping on which is totally wrong... you talk about lack of haunt tours. Hmmm... there is MORE haunt tours going on in St. Louis than ever before in Chicago so what are you talking about? There are more haunted events, tours, and gatherings than ANY Rosemont show EVER. Lastly nothing against Dreamreapers but what you are suggesting is go back to Chicago and be stuck on one haunt tour year after year, when in another post you say the opposite that you want more haunt tours.

Based on what you are saying we should move the show to Detroit or Philadelphia where there are tons of haunts not ROSEMONT. Seriously make up your mind is the city, haunt tours, haunted events what you are saying what are you suggesting because you seem to be all over the board.

Again just cool your jets and see how this all plays out then make a judgement... you haven't even given this one a chance!

Larry

xxxdirk
01-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Larry, buddy, RE READ my post! I said that YES, St Louis is offering more to do and more haunts to visit, but I also said that the EXACT same thing COULD be done in Chicago. I am paying $65 to do the Coumbia tour and that tour is about a 2 hour trip. I know there are a lot of good haunts within 2 hours of the Rosemont. Yes I like the Rosemont, and it has a great place in mine and many other haunts. I do hope that St Louis is a success, but WHEN TW moves back to CHICAGO, I am sure people will love it and have tours all over the place.

graystone
01-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Put the Halloween and Haunt Show back together its a win win for everyone!!!!!!! I think after the Haunt Show they will sit down and say boy did we f**k up! XXXDirk! Amen Brother! Shane and its Halloween & Haunt Show for 2010!

Nightgore
01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
IDK... I still say this hauntshow will be a HUGE success!!! Maybe the retail shows can get back together, but the hauntshow needs to STAY apart from those shows! -Tyler

Grimley
01-31-2009, 06:41 PM
I agree with Larry there is NOTHING good about Chicago and I will talk to every TW person I come across and tell them so. I'm all for joining the show back together as long as its in the South. I don't care where.

PS There are no new BITN Killer Klowns this year.

xxxdirk
01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
LOL, Shane I just had this image of you in a blue Babtist Choir robe saying TESTIFY BROTHER!!!! LOL, well, I do want to make it clear that I am going to St Louis, and plan on buying stuff. I am also going to the Fri & Saturday tours and look VERY much forward to meeting all of you and most of all I want the convention to be a success!

drfrightner
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Put haunt show together with an AMUSEMENT SHOW and then you'd hit a homerun because you are an ATTRACTION... DUH! LOL

Halloween retail and Halloween Attractions have little to nothing in common. Retail is just that RETAIL and ATTRACTIONS are just that ATTRACTIONS. One group sells batman costumes while the other sells tickets for a PRODUCTION no different than opening a Six Flags or producing a broadway play.

TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT ANIMALS!

TOTALLY!

We need to grow an attraction show with MORE vendors including RETAIL vendors who WANT to sell to haunts if they want our business make them come to us!

Larry

Darkangel
02-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Ron,

You say Transworld IS moving back to Chicago, how can you be so certain? Do you have insider info or is it wishful thinking? To all these people complaining about not being able to simply load up your cars and drive in, you won't get much sympathy from the rest of us who has been flying in for years. It's time YOU all fly in and maybe we drive for a few years. The south should be the future location!:)

As for joining the Hauntshow with IAAPA or an amusement show it sounds like fun but not many people will not get anything from it. Those amusement vendors are used to dealing with amusement parks who have bug bucks and big budgets and can afford the $30,000 facades and sculptures and technolog they all sell at...Most if any of us cannot afford the things they sell at. We want to pay $5k for a Scarefactory animation, not $40k on a Lifeformations one, $5k-$10k for a full facade not $35k for a facade component....We're just not in that league yet as a whole...It would be far more fun, but we'd be gawkers not buyers in most cases...

Darkangel

xxxdirk
02-01-2009, 11:35 AM
NO inside info from me Angel, just my wishful thinking and what I would do if I was TW. Don't take me wrong, I am actually looking forward to going to St Louis and seeing the haunts in March and most of all looking forward to meeting all of you!!

drfrightner
02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I can honestly tell you that you are 110% dead wrong about IAAPA... have you ever been? If not you don't know what you are talking about. Talk to someone who ows an attraction who has been to IAAPA.

Yes you are correct that no haunted house is going to buy a 1 million dollor ride or some 30 million dollar roller coaster but 90% of all the vendors there are 4 booths or less. Yep that is right!

What do they sell? They sell flame machines cheap ones too, they sell foliage for theming, they sell vac form, they sell foam and fiberglass rocks, they offer insurance companies galor, they have ticket booth companies, they have companies who sell pistons, control systems, and yes haunt vendors like Scarefactory, Gore Galor, Creative Visions and so many more.

IAAPA is the PERFECT place for both vendors and haunt owners to locate. For vendors think about bringing all the new stuff to IAAPA and exposing the products to not only haunt owners but amusement parks, and places all over the world. YES IT TRUELY WOULD BE THE PERFECT FIT NOT SOME HALLOWEEN RETAIL SHOW SELLING BATMAN COSTUMES!

Here is the problem with IAAPA... the problem is that the show is like 3 weeks after all haunts close for the season. That is the problem and why it will NEVER work! Vendors would not have enough time to develope new product, and haunt owners most of which are temporary are taking down attractions, storing them, or just burnt out.

That is why IAAPA won't work not because of the show itself. That is why we need our own show and introduce more buyer and more vendors to selling specifically what they want to haunt attraction. Lastly, let me say not haunter should miss IAAPA, haunt owners should attend this show and many do just not the numbers like they do Transworld.

Larry

Darkangel
02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
I have been to IAAPA before, and while many vendors do cross over into haunt the market like some vendors you mentioned, but many there are too expensive for haunters and they do not focus on our smaller budgets. Look at Little Spider for example, they used to be a haunt company they left us in the dust for greener pastures selling to parks and big FEC's etc. Most haunts can't afford the sets and scenery that the IAAPA vendors provide. Don't believe me? Price out comapnies like Pizzazz scenic contractors, Studio Y, LifeFormations and all those companies and ask them what a facade would cost you, or an animation! Yeah, its better but 25k-50k better????

Darkangel

drfrightner
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
You don't have to buy from Lifeformations, although many haunts have invested in talking singing animations to entertain their guests. Lets think about this for just a second here...

Scarefactory sold an attacking T-Rex it was like $14,000.00 all said and done. How many haunts can afford that... so would you say don't go to this show unless you are a big haunt because they have stuff you can't afford? No not at all... same with IAAPA. As I said before 90% of IAAPA's vendors are small business owners with unquie products. If you want to start a concession stand what is better a retail show at Transworld or IAAPA??? You tell me?

If you needed theming supplies, high tech paint supplies, insurance companies, ticketing companies, to animations to pretty much everything between whats better a BATMAN and ROBIN RETAIL SHOW or IAAPA?

If you needed affordable foilage or even say a palm tree, or what about every sound and lighting company, piston maker and everything between SPIDERMAN AND WOLVERINE RETAIL SHOW or IAAPA?

You tell me!

If we can't make IAAPA THE SHOW... we need to create our own SHOW for attraction OWNERS not people who sell Cinderalla costumes.

Larry

drfrightner
02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
One last thought on this subject...

Yes if you go to Houston or Vegas you will find some cool stuff like the pig feat you keep talking about or something else. Yeah yeah yeah...

But I'm starting to see something here, that even in our own industry we have several groups of people. There are a group of people trying to make this industry their living, their only jobs, what they do, while others are just part time players happy to make enough money to make it to the next season who have real jobs.

Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want to do... Kurt Warner who will play for another Super Bowl title today said ... when he worked stocking shelves at a grocery store, some peoples goals where to become the night manager, or eventually the store manager. His dream, his goal was going to the NFL... he said he told people 'hey I'm just doing this until the NFL calls again...".

If your goal is to be the night manager of a grocery store while doing a haunt on the side, you have different needs, different goals and a whole different line of thinking than another group.

Your ways of thinking and mine will NEVER jive...EVER. Although I can understand your goals, understand your passion, and appreciate it those are not my goals nor my dreams.

If you want or if you do own a haunt and your goal is to have the biggest in your town, your city, your state, your region, this country or the whole world then what I'm saying is RIGHT! No bones about it!

If you want to impress yourself, your family, your friends, your community, amuse yourself, or just explore your passion to the fullest without leaving your real job, putting your nuts on the line, without basically ruining the fun in it all then I would agree that many of the points I've read or better served for you.

AN ATTRACTION HAS NOTHING IN COMMON WITH RETAIL NOTHING... two totally different animals all together. You can have retail at an attraction but it takes another type of skill to operate one, to manage one, and to be successful, which is why 99% of all haunts I've ever seen have no retail at all. We don't see many haunt owners start Halloween retail stores, and we have seen retail stores open haunts and they ALMOST ALL HAVE FAILED HORRIBLY!

WHY?

BECAUSE RETAIL AND ATTRACTIONS ARE DIFFERENT!

We need to create an attraction show and make it better this will better serve your future, your business and your industry. I AM RIGHT 110% because I'm thinking about this from the attractions point of view not the passion player.

I'm not saying all of this to prove a point but help you and the industry.

I hope you see what I'm saying... will those pig shoes help your attraction NO 110% NO FREAKIN WAY! Would you like to have a pair sure for FUN!

See the point?

Larry

Nightgore
02-01-2009, 02:12 PM
^ That's what I think is the difference between a haunter and a business person. Larry, your a very, VERY good business man... sounds like your goal is to make as much money as possible! But, and no offense, but that doesn't make you a good 'haunter'.

IDK... I hope we can have this show be successful and we can finally have our own attractions show... more like IAAPA! But I can promise you that NO HAUNT will EVER have the budget of a theme parks... that's what makes us unique. We do ATTRACTIONS with BETTER quality than MOST theme parks on a fraction of the cost! Wow... -Tyler

RJ Productions
02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Another possible solution is a marriage between the Haunt Show and Fun Expo. FE just relocated to the first part of March. It had been in the fall and like IAAPA a problem for haunters to attend. As has been explained before FE is almost like a mini-IAAPA. It focuses on the Fun Event Centers which is more in line with Haunt shows. You do not have the large ride vendors like IAAPA, but you do have vendors and suppliers that are appropriate.

Like IAAPA, they have a very intense educational program, again a lot that can be usable to the haunters.

I have made arrangements with FE and will be writing an in-depth article about the show for Hauntworld! I will try and cover every aspect of the show from a haunter's perspective. Even if it doesn't become the main show, I do think it can become a very important addition for us.

Nightgore
02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
That would be awesome... I can't wait to read that article! -Tyler

MidnightEvil
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm going to check out the Fun Expo

drfrightner
02-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Tyler,

No you are wrong my friend... before I was ever a good business man I was a good 'haunter' and still am. See if you know my life story or should I say in this industry, I started off just like everyone else doing haunts in the basement, building the first professional haunted house with a budget of $1000.00. For the first 10 years of being in this industry I had TWO jobs, just like everyone else.

I think you missed the point all together...

You can be a great haunter and a great business man, and have a successful haunted attraction. But you have to strive to be professional and take things to the next level, and take risks.

When you say I'm not a good haunter or being a good business man doesn't make you a good haunter confuses the hell out of me. If you start a small business no matter what it is you want to make it the best it can be and if you do you'll make money. GOOD BUSINESS people are the best haunters because they understand what it takes to be successful. No successful person becomes successful because they aren't good at what they do...

I think I strive to be successful on all levels not just making money.

If I was concerned with only making money I wouldn't invest so much into our magazine, this website or our attractions. We always invest and it always pays you back because you know what you are doing!

This whole topic is just downright silly...

If your goal isn't to be the best you can be, become successful then go to those fan shows, hang out at retail shows and size yourself up for the new Transformer costumes coming out, get you a pair of those pig shoes and you'll just be happy as a peach!

Me I'll go to shows where I know I can learn something, where I know I can find products and services that can grow or expand my business.

I go to IAAPA, Netherworld goes to IAAPA, Headless goes to IAAPA, and the list goes on and on... if you asked any very successful haunted owner if they pick two shows they'd pick Transworld and IAAPA. If you can combine the haunt side with an amusement show NOT a retail show you'd have the perfect show.

You say we don't have the budgets of Six Flags, but yeah you do, in proportion to the overall income yes you do. You are no different than a six flags... you must manage workers, you must hire staff, manage staff, you must improve the product, you must market your product, you must deal with customer satisfaction, blah, blah.

Same problems face one as the other just YOU are the ONLY person dealing with most of the problems while they have many... they are on a bigger scale but still everything is more or less the same.

Larry