PDA

View Full Version : What Lighting Do You Use? Please Help =)

NateTheGreat
01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone!

My haunt this year is going to be anywhere between 13,000 - 15,000 square feet and I was wondering what I should use for lighting?

I want a cheap way to light up my haunt with dim lights or lights that are appropriate for a haunt. I know some haunts just use black lights to light up their haunt, but I was wondering where the best place is to buy semi-high quality black lights in mass quantities for cheap and any other lighting you may suggest. Any price ranges would be much appreciated as well. =)

Thanks so much!

~NatetheGreat
Fearoverload.com

Motograter
01-28-2009, 07:56 PM
We use Mini spotlights in our haunt. They come in many different colors and they give off just enough light. They use low voltage an they don't over heat. here is there website https://www.minispotlight.com

spookhaven
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
We use minispotlights as well. They have many different colors and two different whites. They are great and easy to hide.

imax
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
We build LED lights ourselves for *most* of our show, but have some areas where we use intelligent DMX lights and long throw UV cannons.

Allen H
01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I repurpose led christmas lights by cutting the tube from a bic pen as the tube and electrical tape floral wire to the tube (with an individual led inside). then put a screw in where you want the light to be and use the floral wire to wrap around the screw and aim the light.
the downside is the least I could find them was 50 on a strand but that way you can aim different colored lights at the same target.
Allen H

Kingsbury Cemetery
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I use a combination of MiniSpotlights, intelligent DMX lights and a recently purchased quantity of screw in multiple LED bulbs that I plan to use in my par-can fixtures. The screw in LED lights throw more than enough light, and if you buy them in white you can use the traditional color gel papers with the par-can fixtures. I also purchased black light LED screw in bulbs, as well as some slow color changing RGB LED screw in bulbs. You need to make sure you get the slow changing LED lights so that you haunt does not have that "disco" look.

LED's have the advantage of being cool to the touch, NO heat generated, make your fire marshall happy, and they are easier on your wallet in the long run as they consume less energy and last longer. Most regular incandescent bulbs need to be very low wattage or need a dimmer to be effective for haunting.

Some sources for various LED lights are Chauvetlighting.com (http://chauvetlighting.com), Minispotlight.com (http://minispotlight.com), Minionsweb.com (http://minionsweb.com), and SuperbrightLEDs.com (http://superbrightleds.com)

Jim Warfield
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I do really like the option of the dimmer switch light. Adjusting the light made easy for a scene or roll it up for a brighter work light or to look for that dropped cell phone or ear rings, ring...

Floor8Horror
02-14-2009, 08:29 AM
I am very cheap in this area but it works pretty well. I have A TON of flashlights. Between 30-40. My lighting consists of strategically placed flashlights light what I need (rooms, hallways etc). I put the flashlights on the floor, the wall, and sometimes the ceiling. I usually angle them too. Its cheap but it works.

tchaunt
02-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Are the flash lights battery powered? That would be a pain in the butt trying to manage all of those!

Floor8Horror
02-14-2009, 08:53 AM
haha, they are. My flash lights are battery powered and we put batteries in at the beginning of the night and then we take a break half way in to check them. Batteries for flashlights last an amazing long time.

tchaunt
02-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I must have bad flashlights then. The batteries in mine are usually gone within two or three hours. (I read a lot at night)

Floor8Horror
02-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Yea I have invested in very good flash lights that can last over four hours at least. That was the only expense I had with them but now I have great flashlights that will last a long time.
This year I had a couple of flashlights use one set of batteries for two nights (about 8 hours). Don't mean to brag though. haha

tchaunt
02-14-2009, 09:35 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get them from?

Floor8Horror
02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
the best one I have my dad got from Lowes, it is a RYOBI flashlight that has a rechargeable battery. I've also gotten some big ones from Rayovac. You can buy these at Kmart or lowes, you can get them at a whole bunch of places. They are huge flashlights. The run on 6 volt batteries and the light is about 4 inches in diameter. Those are the good ones.

tchaunt
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Hm...I need to look into getting some of those.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
02-14-2009, 10:15 AM
If you want to see the best lighting system in my opinion its the one that Disneyland uses on the Indiana jones ride. NOT the ride itslef but in the que line. Its great! Thats how I want my setup to endup looking. Vincent This Time!

wdd8sEYk0gU&feature

The first part is the line outside. The scenic props really set the mood. Everything is really detailed and interesting. The lights that I'm talkin bout actually start at about 2:29 if you wanna fast forward.

tchaunt
02-14-2009, 10:17 AM
The first part is the line outside. The scenic props really set the mood. Everything is really detailed and interesting. The lights that I'm talkin bout actually start at about 2:29 if you wanna fast forward.
Can you please describe the lighting? I can't watch too many vids on you tube without having to restart. I have a crappy PC.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Basically the lights aren't just there to light the pathway they are decorated as props. There are metal casings around the lightbulbs to look like underground construction lights. The bulbs are also set on a flicker to make it seem dangerous and brown outs(when the power supply fluctuates). Vincent This Time!

tchaunt
02-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh. Okay. I see what you're saying. I do believe that mixing lighting with props makes the experience all the more believable.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
And whats the deal with cielings. I can't tell you how many times I've walked through a haunt and there were no cielings. It ruins the whole experience! Vincent This Time!

Brandon_K
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
the best one I have my dad got from Lowes, it is a RYOBI flashlight that has a rechargeable battery. I've also gotten some big ones from Rayovac. You can buy these at Kmart or lowes, you can get them at a whole bunch of places. They are huge flashlights. The run on 6 volt batteries and the light is about 4 inches in diameter. Those are the good ones.

Just curious.. Are you running just a few nights or the entire month?

Last I checked, those 6v batteries were at least 6 bucks a pop, if not more. If they last for 8 hours, that would get us 2 night of use. We run 28 nights. Over 20 flashlights, thats..

20 lights * 28 nights / 2 nights per battery * $6 per battery = $1680.

Thats a signifacant battery budget.

As for us, we us a huge mix. PAR cans (38's, 46's, 64's, etc) with CFFL, LED or incan's, PAR 36 pin spots, strobes, UV washs, lots of flourescent blacklights, clamp lights, etc. I'm hoping this year to re-light the new facade with RGB LED DMX panels.

thrilltainment
02-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi everyone!

My haunt this year is going to be anywhere between 13,000 - 15,000 square feet and I was wondering what I should use for lighting?

I want a cheap way to light up my haunt with dim lights or lights that are appropriate for a haunt. I know some haunts just use black lights to light up their haunt, but I was wondering where the best place is to buy semi-high quality black lights in mass quantities for cheap and any other lighting you may suggest. Any price ranges would be much appreciated as well. =)

Thanks so much!

~NatetheGreat
Fearoverload.com
we developed our own LED lighting system last year for Shanghai Nightmare and are making it available to the public summer 2010. our LEDs use 12V, very little heat, and we have different models, ranging from the small close range spots to bright high power spots. what lights you need will greatly depend on room size and setup. small rooms can use our smallest model (similar to min spots) about $12 to light up close range, highlight props, or give some small background color, medium rooms should use medium sized flood lights for ambiance while the high power LED spotlights can be used for large rooms such as grave yards for both spotlighting and ambiance, these are in the range $20-$40.

http://darklight.e5design.com

Quan
E5 Design Inc.

Dreamreaper
02-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I fricken hate battery power. pain in the butt. no time to change when im trying to open each day.

thrilltainment
03-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I fricken hate battery power. pain in the butt. no time to change when im trying to open each day.

ya, i can imagine even with 20 lights, that must be a real pain.

the only time we use battery is to test our light fixtures before mounting. we developed a portable rechargeable 12V battery pack that allows you to test your LED spotlights as you install them. this way it'll save time in terms of going back to rewire your work...

Quan
E5 Design Inc.

hauntpro
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Go to www.springtree.net
They have some awsome blacklight panels for only $125 and thay cover a 20x20ft area. They also have the same panels that change many different colors for $125 too.
Very great company, just pick out what you want and send them a email. the price is usually about 10% -20% less than whats on most websites

hauntedghost
03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
there is this lighting that i have found on the net. it's called el light?? i think but I have the site if you want to go to it.

www.elbestbuy.com

some cool stuff there

HG

damon carson
03-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey Hauntpro, (Kenny) welcome back to Haunt World. Things too dead on Haunted Attraction for you?! Im sure Larry will be glad to know your back on here!
Take care buddy,
Damon

Dreamreaper
03-04-2010, 08:37 PM
ya, i can imagine even with 20 lights, that must be a real pain.

the only time we use battery is to test our light fixtures before mounting. we developed a portable rechargeable 12V battery pack that allows you to test your LED spotlights as you install them. this way it'll save time in terms of going back to rewire your work...

Quan
E5 Design Inc.

That is a great idea about the 12v battery pac to test leds. I can see where that would save alot of time.

hauntpro
03-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Go with the led blacklights. they cover a big area and use little power!

damon carson
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Do you have some yourself Hauntpro?
Damon

sophisticatedterror
03-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Im not a fan of the led blacklight panels...they are not as effective from when we used them..

The Nightmare Factory
03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Mini spots, strobe lights, black lights, strobing black lights, flash ropes, led pars from Oak Island (love these little guys), police beacons, christmas lights, you name it we use it, or have used it.

You have to design the light to make your scene work, too many people put together fantastic sets and the lighting kills your efforts. alsolighting will change the way your make up looks, you should think about having a color chaning led can in your makeup room and a black light so you can see how the lighting is going to effect your makeup.

Ed Roberts
www.westcosthauntersconvention.com

thrilltainment
04-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Do you have some yourself Hauntpro?
Damon

We offer some high power LED blacklight spotlights.

http://darklight.e5design.com/images/precisionz.jpg
We use these to light up our haunt's fluorescent paint (http://darklight.e5design.com/Precision-Z-High-Power-Spotlight-20100128000006.htm)