PDA

View Full Version : The All New Hauntworld.com ... Need advice

drfrightner
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Is coming. I hope it will be only by Transworld. But the whole site is changing from the front page to how you list your attraction.

I will have screen shots for you within days. I could show you today but its not the way it will be in the end so whats the point. I will have it later today or by weeks end.

Now here is the question... should I delete all accounts from the whole system and then make everyone rejoin the syste?

The way you create accounts is totally different now.

Larry

Darkangel
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Here is the best advice I can offer about the new site. PLEASE discontue the feature where people can rate and review haunts. I have heard horror stories about this as other haunts in competition post negative reviews and rate the hauts low on purpose. Let the public decide, it should not be on the listings. These reviews come during our season when we are too busy to check and delete them and it could hurt us immensely. It's not an important feature to have the reviews and ratings anayway. If someone pays good money to advertise on your site some immature person from the haunt down the road should not be able to trash and rate low your haunt, it really serves no purpose!!!

Darkangel

tchaunt
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
When you say the users would have to re-register, do you mean just on the website, just on the boards, or on both?

Jordan24
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I say the listings should be swept clean, and that the attractions should have to re-list themselves after every season. I notice plenty of attractions no longer in existence or with information not up to date and inaccurate.

I also agree that the rating system should be removed, or at least modified a bit. Maybe make it so the rating is not displayed until 'x' number of votes have been placed, or have it displayed inside the attraction's profile only.

Just my opinion.

mindtumor
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Why a new hauntworld? What is wrong with this one?

spookhaven
02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Clean sweep. It will be easier and everything will be fresh.

oakhillshaunterTHEFEAR
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
i don't care either way. I think it looks great as is. But hey what do I know right? So all I'm concerned about is are the forums being changed? Vincent This Time!

tchaunt
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm with Vincent. As long as the forums don't change, I'll be fine. There's lots of good information on here.

Front Yard Fright
02-11-2009, 07:32 PM
It may be a good idea to get a fresh start with the haunts.

And I think that since there is a problem with out of date haunt info, there should be an e-mail that gets sent out if you don't update your post or something like that. And all of those who do not update, will get deleted. Also there are sites that have something like "Entry last edited 09/26/08" to show if the entry hasn't been updated in a long time.

Can't wait to see the screen caps... I'm excited for the new site!
:).

Haunted Illinois
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
I say the listings should be swept clean, and that the attractions should have to re-list themselves after every season. I notice plenty of attractions no longer in existence or with information not up to date and inaccurate.

Amen to that! Erasing the directory and having Haunts relist their information every season is THE ONLY way to guarantee the information is up-to-date. HauntedIllinois.com, HauntedWisconsin.com and ScaryOhio.com all do this every year. Having the most haunt listings is worthless if the general public canít trust the information.

Nightgore
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
^ Agreed! -Tyler

Smiley
02-12-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm with Vincent. As long as the forums don't change, I'll be fine. There's lots of good information on here.

I agree with that.

damon carson
02-12-2009, 08:35 AM
The haunts need to be swiped every year and start with a new slate. I hope we dont have to rejoin to be a member on hauntworld. Do the vendor or yellowpages as they used to be called work any better. I put in a request for that to be worked on and I havent even tried it lately to see. I work at a snails pace sometimes.
Damon

badlander2000
02-12-2009, 09:07 AM
I think a reminder should be added at the top of each full state page not just the first featured page that says "Consider finding all local haunts before deciding which ones to go to".

Motograter
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't want to rejoin as a member on the forums. I've started since 2003 and I want to keep that going. BUT I do agree with starting over with all the haunted houses.

imax
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
My biggest peice of advice for hauntworld.com is to clean up the clutter. I hope you have addressed that in the new version. I can't even go to the main page without nearly having a heart attack from all the words and data on the screen. It's completely impossible to find anything on the site, I use the "search on page" feature of my web browser if I ever have to go to hauntworld.com to find the link I'm looking for.

Look around and you will notice that the current design trend for nearly everything is a very clear, clean, open interface and design.

Make information searchable and easy to find. This will help with bandwidth costs, too, and since HauntWorld.com tries to position itself as a resource to both haunters and the genral public, the data specific to each should be clearly seperated.

As far as haunt listings go, kill 'em all. If your development team was worth thier weight in salt, they could import all the existing listings, but refuse to display them until they have been updated this year, but I understand that it's easier to put that responsibility on the haunt owners. It would just suck to lose a customer database like that, though....

I hope you don't plan on wiping forum users.

I also hope you realize that I'm not being mean or disrespectful, these are just my opinions and you are free to take them to heart or not. No skin off my back ;-) I'd just be more likely to use the site if it wasn't so cluttered.

Honestly, from the deep dark crevices of my heart, I DO NOT visit hauntworld.com's main site, simply because of the clutter. I hope the new one is better for all!

-- I

JamBam
02-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Keep the info, data, whatever hidden until the haunt/user logs in and revises their listings/ profiles.

Again,
Clean off all the haunts and users, but leave what they have unseen until they update it.

A little simpler is a suggestion, too.