PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best lightning and thunder machine?

N2SPOOKINU
02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Just out of curiosity who do you think makes the best thunder and lightning machine and why? I want to modify an area of Fearfest and want your opinion on who makes the best and why. Their diffrences , Pros and cons.
Thanks, Greg

graystone
02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Fright Props carries them. Shane and its a bad storm going on. Shane this time!

HouseOfHorrors
02-23-2009, 09:41 PM
I've got quite a few different makes, but got one of the frightprops ones last year and it kicks Ass!

-Tim

creep house
02-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I used the 4 channel.....I-zombie..............

it`s the only one that i`ve used....great price , easy to use

the guys at i-zombie more than happy to help !!!

i used this product outside and it worked great!

damon carson
02-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Personally I use a light mixer for d.j. lighting. I can create the same effect. And I dont know if they are the best but I kinda like the firefly thunder and lightening machine.
Damon

Motograter
02-24-2009, 08:31 AM
We use the I-Zombie 4 channel one from Frightprops and it's awesome!

icandrawem2
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Personally I think God makes the best thunder and lighting machine...but thats just my opinion! :-D

Loud &twisted
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
For thunder I would use 8- 12" subs and 8- 6.5" mids with a lot of power. Set the image right and you will scare the sh_t out of people. You can use prebuilt processors to run your lightning strobes from your audio signal.

drfrightner
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm not taking sides but in the magazine a company called Lights Alive claims to have the best lightning machine called the 'Fire Fly'.

www.lights-alive.com (http://www.lights-alive.com)

I have already seen some others listed but not this company so I thought I would throw it out there.

Larry

mindtumor
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I like the fright props one. The box is great, the problem is finding actual lights that are good. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

N2SPOOKINU
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the information. We decided on the Firefly ff-501 it had alot of good thing about it the others didnt.
The firefly works on LED lights to eliminate the orangish glow of an incandescent light going out. Also it has a dimmer channel so the lights will dim when the thunder hits hard and the lightning flashes imitating a power outage.
I talked to Ron for over an hour about the pros and cons of the machines I inquired about. This machine sounded like the best one for our needs and being able to use LED lighting was a plus for me.
These guys are bringing a bunch of cool products to the show so make sure you stop by their booth at Twansworld and check them out! Just my two cents.
Greg

LightsAlive
03-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Greg. We try to make FireFly the best lightning simulators available. We much prefer the effect of LED's for lightning, although incandescents can be used. (Multiple small bulbs work better than a couple of huge ones, if you go incandescent.)

We also have one and two-channel FireFlys in addition to the microprocessor-controlled 501 that has four channels plus a dedicated dimming channel. And all the controls are accessible from the outside... you don't have to open our boxes to make adjustments.

Steve Peterka
Lights Alive

www.lights-alive.com
www.myspace.com/lights_alive

Booth 815, 14th annual Haunt and Attractions Show

gregsalyers
03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I use large blue incandescent bulbs and they work great as long as they are not directly visible

Mike Honcho
03-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Greg. We try to make FireFly the best lightning simulators available. We much prefer the effect of LED's for lightning, although incandescents can be used. (Multiple small bulbs work better than a couple of huge ones, if you go incandescent.)

We also have one and two-channel FireFlys in addition to the microprocessor-controlled 501 that has four channels plus a dedicated dimming channel. And all the controls are accessible from the outside... you don't have to open our boxes to make adjustments.

Steve Peterka
Lights Alive

www.lights-alive.com

Steve, will you be attending transworld I'm curious about your products

LightsAlive
03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi, Mike

Yes, we absolutely will be at Transworld. Booth #815.

We'll have the FireFly family, the 101, 201, and 501. Plus, we'll be unveiling some new products at the show. We'll have our new Mantis line of prop controllers, triggers, and sensors. And we'll have a new stereo amplifier, the Cicada, in a case that is stackable with our FireFly lightning simulators.

See you there.

Steve Peterka
Lights Alive

www.lights-alive.com

March 27-29, St. Louis

N2SPOOKINU
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I just got my new firefly delivered 5 minutes ago. If the packaging is any indication of how this thing works it's going to be an impressive light show at fearfest! This is a very impressive machine! I cant wait until Transworld to see what else they have in store for us. Thanks LIGHTS ALIVE!
Greg

damon carson
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Let us know how it works Greg. Im considering one. It looks like a nice lighting system.
Damon

Mike Honcho
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
yes greg do tell all

N2SPOOKINU
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Ok heres the 411 on my firefly 501.......ITS AWSOME!!!! When you buy one make sure it is the 501. it has 5 channels. 4 lightning and one channel to put house, street, or porch lights on. When the thunder claps the street light dims and flickers like there's going to be a power outage. I LOVE this feature.

The four channels allow you to put seprate lights on all four and they go off at diffrent times to make it look like the lightning is rolling all over the sky following the stereo sound track.

I installed it tonite and I think it is GREAT!!! I give them 5 stars for this product.

There is ONE little thing I wish they could change. While playing the sound track I noticed the loud claps of thunder come about a minute apart. If you keep customers moving they may miss the spectacular thunder clap light show and just see the rolling lighting light display instead.

I wish the loud claps would be timed more frequently but I am not complaining. It is a great system and i am glad Damon said something about it which is why I checked out their website.

It's installed and working great. The instructions were very clear and easy to understand. I highly recommend one for EVERY haunt out there!!!!

damon carson
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey Greg thanks for telling us how it works. I thought it would be good. Wow the feature for street lights ect sounds awesome. So it really looks like its messing with the power or electricity that is really a neat feature! Why cant you take your cd or thunder cd and remix it or burn the parts where thunder claps or louder and more frequent? At least thats what I would do or is this a track thats built in? If it isnt I dont see why you couldnt put something together. If you need any help let me know. Ive d.jayed long enough I could do it for you if you need me to. Have fun with it! How much does that model you have go for? If its not too high I may just have to get one it sounds awesome!
Damon

N2SPOOKINU
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Damon, they axplain in the instruction manual that it has more than just the thunder laid on the track and thats why it looks so awsome I guess.
It picks up things on the track to activate the lights seconds before the clap of thunder and allows it to "flutter" like a real lightning storm does when it is just rolling instead of loud claps if that makes any sense to anyone. LOL.
Anyway, i dont know if it would work or not to burn another copy and modify it. It comes with 2 cds and 4 diffrent tracks on each cd. 1 with thunder only for incandescent bulbs and 1 thunder only for LED bulbs. it also has 1 for thunder/wind/rain for incandescent bulbs and the same for LED bulbs. These 4 are in stereo. They also have the mono 4 tracks on a seperate cd.
I think you have to get the 501 toget the stereo 5 channel system.
I probably confused you guys more than helped clear it up for you. You guys at Lights alive. If I am incorrect on any of this please correct me. This is a great product and i am glad to have it at Fearfest!
Greg

damon carson
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Hmm sounds like you could probably look at a timer on the cd player and time where the most effective parts are on the tracks and just time them closer or mix them so they are more frequent. But it is kinda confusing what your saying.? Im not sure maybe we can figure out something if you want just let me know.
Damon

beardedbil
03-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Here is a suggestion and something I have implemented in the past at different attractions... Copy whatever track you like to a Gilderfluke SD-10, then trigger that with a step mat, or sensor and there you go... Thunder and Lighting ON CUE.

LightsAlive
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the good words, Greg. Glad you like the unit. Here's the lowdown on the audio.

There are two audio thunder CD's included with the unit, a stereo CD and mono CD. (Only the mono CD ships with the mono FF-101.) Virgil (Master of the Ethermuse) created the tracks for us. Some tracks have the dynamic range compressed to match the dynamic response of LED lights. On the mono CD, there's an audio channel, and a control channel that triggers the lights. The control signal leads the audio signal based on the "distance" of the thunder. As in nature, the flash comes before the sound. Distant lightning is seen before the thunder. Close strikes are virtually simultaneous.

As far as re-recording, or using other audio goes... it will work. It won't be optimized for various lights, so it won't work as well as our CD's, but it will work. In fact, there's a sound-to-light mode that responds to the full range of audio, rather than just to thunder. it can be used to control props with music. We're still tweaking this, so it hasn't made it to YouTube yet, but here's a demo video of FireFly controlling lights in a prop. http://www.lights-alive.com/video/FireFly-Welcome.mp4

Steve Peterka
Lights Alive
www.lights-alive.com

March 27-29, St. Louis

Loud &twisted
03-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the good words, Greg. Glad you like the unit. Here's the lowdown on the audio.

There are two audio thunder CD's included with the unit, a stereo CD and mono CD. (Only the mono CD ships with the mono FF-101.) Virgil (Master of the Ethermuse) created the tracks for us. Some tracks have the dynamic range compressed to match the dynamic response of LED lights. On the mono CD, there's an audio channel, and a control channel that triggers the lights. The control signal leads the audio signal based on the "distance" of the thunder. As in nature, the flash comes before the sound. Distant lightning is seen before the thunder. Close strikes are virtually simultaneous.

As far as re-recording, or using other audio goes... it will work. It won't be optimized for various lights, so it won't work as well as our CD's, but it will work. In fact, there's a sound-to-light mode that responds to the full range of audio, rather than just to thunder. it can be used to control props with music. We're still tweaking this, so it hasn't made it to YouTube yet, but here's a demo video of FireFly controlling lights in a prop. http://www.lights-alive.com/video/FireFly-Welcome.mp4

Steve Peterka
Lights Alive
www.lights-alive.com

March 27-29, St. Louis

I look foward to checking your creations out in St. Louis.

LightsAlive
09-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Ok heres the 411 on my firefly 501.......ITS AWSOME!!!! When you buy one make sure it is the 501. it has 5 channels. 4 lightning and one channel to put house, street, or porch lights on. When the thunder claps the street light dims and flickers like there's going to be a power outage. I LOVE this feature.

The four channels allow you to put seprate lights on all four and they go off at diffrent times to make it look like the lightning is rolling all over the sky following the stereo sound track.

I installed it tonite and I think it is GREAT!!! I give them 5 stars for this product.

There is ONE little thing I wish they could change. While playing the sound track I noticed the loud claps of thunder come about a minute apart. If you keep customers moving they may miss the spectacular thunder clap light show and just see the rolling lighting light display instead.

I wish the loud claps would be timed more frequently but I am not complaining. It is a great system and i am glad Damon said something about it which is why I checked out their website.

It's installed and working great. The instructions were very clear and easy to understand. I highly recommend one for EVERY haunt out there!!!!

We took note of your suggestion. In the interest of delivering the best products to our customers, we asked Virgil to update our thunder CD's. FireFlys shipped since mid-August have included our revised CD's, with more thunder.

Enjoy!

Steve
Lights Alive
www.lights-alive.com

N2SPOOKINU
09-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Steve, in the intrest of being a fan and a customer of the firefly and since I was the one to suggest the modification. How about sending me a copy of the updated CD for my customers to enjoy this season????? Just thought I would ask.......
Thanks,
Greg
Fearfest

LightsAlive
09-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Greg,

Check your e-mail.

Steve
Lights Alive

N2SPOOKINU
09-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks Steve for the info.
Greg
Fearfest

Nightgore
09-28-2009, 08:02 AM
I do know this... we've went through 2 of the Frightprops machines because the lightning/lighting triggers keep shorting out and now, I'm left without any lightning!

Sad. -Tyler

N2SPOOKINU
09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Tyler, do yourself a favor and get a firefly asap! Make sure its the 501 it has ambient lighting controls that you can dim down for your scene like street lights for instance. this in itself makes it worth the money in my opinion.
Try one and let me know what you think.
Greg
Fearfest

Nightgore
09-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Greg,

Thanks for the advice... I'm def. looking into this RIGHT NOW!!! Hahahaha... I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks. -Tyler