PDA

View Full Version : Haunt Seminars

Terror_Field
03-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Many of us have Day Jobs to support are haunt Habbits, now I have been a Home haunt for 7 Years, I plan on going pro, would love Halloween productions to set it up but can afford that kind of $$$ without them having a pmt plan of some sort, so I have to see what the main stream wants.

How do you find that out? Go to conventions, check out the seminars, buy videos including "how to" talk to other owners etc, However most of us can't attend of of the shows and we want to watch the seminars, so here is the big question.

WHY does NO one record these seminars?

Allen H
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Every time I speak at Hauntcon, I am miked and often video taped. I dont know what Leonard does with teh footage and audio, but he does take it. Id love to buy a good DVD of the seminars at almost any show, there is always good stuff there.
Allen H

UndeadProd
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
There is a tremendous amount of invaluable information in the Hauntworld and Kevin McCurdy dvds as well. Every spring, we make it a point of reviewing some of our favorite and most informative segments from both series.

http://www.hauntedhousesupplies.com/HauntWorld_Movies.htm

There are lots of discounts for bulk orders through the web site, which makes it even more of a great deal.

BruiseMuse
03-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I know several of my MHC seminars were recorded, but I have no idea who has the footage or what became of it.

I do think it would be great if the conventions released DVD copies of each year's seminars.

Terror_Field
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
There is a tremendous amount of invaluable information in the Hauntworld and Kevin McCurdy dvds as well. Every spring, we make it a point of reviewing some of our favorite and most informative segments from both series.

http://www.hauntedhousesupplies.com/HauntWorld_Movies.htm

There are lots of discounts for bulk orders through the web site, which makes it even more of a great deal.

We all know there is much information just no seminars, well haunted attractions does have hauntcon 2006 seminars...But anyways kind of sound like larry (not dissing) however one things with Hauntworld tapes is the show haunts which is sweet but when I buy a DVD called "how to build a haunted House" it is 1hr long 20-30min of it was talking domain name and the rest was showing the darkness and silo-X, then promoted two other DVDs. When I ask about the two other DVDs to that series I get "Just buy them all" errrg I wanted "how to build a haunted attraction" not a tour. TIPS, TRICKS, TECHNIQUES to go from a 7yr home haunt to pro.....

I love seminars and think they are a greate asset to any haunt home or pro, 1yr to 100yrs everyone can take things from them.

drfrightner
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I would. I think they should film them and sell them but they need the speakers permission to do so. Larry

Barry
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I know several of my MHC seminars were recorded, but I have no idea who has the footage or what became of it.

I do think it would be great if the conventions released DVD copies of each year's seminars.

Woah! We did not have any official videoing of any seminars. THere may have been some private individuals who were doing so but I leave that up to the instructors as to whether they will allow it. We had a few photographers and news crews around but nothing that would have been a full length video.

Now, on to the topic. Many people have approached us about this and many have requested that we do it. The problem is that the companies that do this type of work want a large purchase commitment up front. We have looked into it and we do not seeing ever being able to sell enough copies to offset the money to make them. The problem with MHC specifically is that we have six classes going on at one time so that would mean six different cameras and operators to cover everyhting.

brad
03-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Terror Field- check your PM's

MidnightEvil
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Barry you hit the nail on the head.

The problem is that the companies that do this type of work want a large purchase commitment up front. We have looked into it and we do not seeing ever being able to sell enough copies to offset the money to make them. The problem with MHC specifically is that we have six classes going on at one time so that would mean six different cameras and operators to cover everyhting.

I did the DVDs for HauntX for two years on speculation.
1st year was just one room, 2 cameras, 2 cameramen, 14 hours of seminars
2nd year it was 2 rooms, 4 cameras, 4 cameramen, 28 hours of seminars
To this day I have yet to cover my cost. People say they want them, but when it
comes down to parting with there cash, it's a hole different story.

Terror_Field
03-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Berry do you put together the widwest show?

Barry
03-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes, I am one of the four producers of MHC. It is my wife Kathy and myself, as well as Kelly and Neena Collins.

Kevin Dells
03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Not sure who the video was done by but our crew just watched an acying video put on by another group of haunt actors last season.

It showed different types of scares done the right and the wrong way which to the rookies coming in made for great examples.

Man i thought there would be buttloads of video out there on this.

I have 7 years of actor training under my belt in all types of scares, will work for free just to visit but you pick up the airfaire or gas and hotel room. I also do make up traing as well.

Hell tape me and sell it and offer me 50 cents a copy for all i care, i love what i do and can offer and am more then willing to share.

Terror_Field
03-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Keven love the enthusiasm, I just might take you up on that, pm me some time.

Kevin Dells
03-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Terrorfeild,
No problem and i did answer your PM.

I really feel it dosen't matter how many dollars you spend on al the gadgetry and decor IF there isn't a good scare involved! Iv'e gone to very impressivley decorated haunts only to walk out in awe but not happy with the lackluster performances. A great haunt in my book is an owner that develpos his haunt on both feilds not just prettyness.

Personally i would take a 10 dollar haunt with a 20 dollar performance by the crew anyday, it's all about scaring the crap out of people and what they leave with for that ride home to chat about! People leaving your venue won't talk about layers upon layers of props and pretty's but more about the guy that got them good!

Props don't scare people, people scare people! I don't care how good that prop works!LOL

Haunting Copy
03-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Kevin, you are soooooo right. I've just returned from House of Torment's "Dark Stalkers," and even with all their incredible sets, it was their dedicated - and once again, amazing - actors who had my daughter and me talking all the way home.

From a mostly-customer's perspective, I would advise any haunt owner to invest in his or her actors. They are the battery that gives a haunt its charge.

Sarah

P.S. To make this post relevant to the topic, LOL . . . seminar DVDs on acting skills would be very helpful, especially to beginners.

Allen H
03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I have sold an actor training DVD for a few years and am working on a second volume now, PM me for more info if you wish. Actors truly are the heart beat of haunts, It is the thing that owners should invest the most in.
Allen H

Haunting Copy
03-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Allen, I sent you a PM. :)

Thanks,
Sarah

Killer Katie
09-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I was approached and signed a release for both of my classes at MHC this year, and they video-taped the whole time.
I was contacted before hand and brought the release form with me. And was all official MHC communication, I beleive from Neena.
I was told I'd get a copy, so I'll have to find the guy's address again.
Just thought I would toss that out there!

Killer Katie
09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I found, as a makeup artist, that Dvd's helped me tremendously to get motivated and try out new techniques.
(Insert horn blow here LOL)
I've done 2 beginner makeup dvd's with Evilusions, because I thought it could really get someone jumpstarted into doing good makeup.

BruiseMuse
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Katie: I believe that the recordings were being done in conjunction with John Kennedy (Haunted Attraction). I know my classes were recorded as well.

Terror_Field
09-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Well I have purchased a few websites to promote seminars for the haunt industry and am In the process of putting together the site along with a few of my own videos however I would love to make it a much larger of a venue and would love to work with others for material rights or something where I would package/market (including making the video look better and burning) so if any one is interested please PM me.

Barry
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Katie,

My first reply was made back in March and referred to the 2008 show.

In 2009 we were approached John who offered to record select classes and provide them on his website. We agreed with a few conditions: 1. The instructor had to agree and sign off on it. 2. There would be NO CHARGE for viewing them. 3. Provide a DVD to the instructor.

I would assume that, with the launch of his new site, they will be available in the near future.

Killer Katie
09-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Sorry Barry, maybe I should pay attention to dates before I jump on my keyboard...

I really like the conditions that you set, who wants someone else making moola off of our hard work, right? :)

Look forward to coming back iin 2010!!

elswarro
09-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Barry you hit the nail on the head.

I did the DVDs for HauntX for two years on speculation.
1st year was just one room, 2 cameras, 2 cameramen, 14 hours of seminars
2nd year it was 2 rooms, 4 cameras, 4 cameramen, 28 hours of seminars
To this day I have yet to cover my cost. People say they want them, but when it
comes down to parting with there cash, it's a hole different story.

i remember editing a series of these dvds for Gary along time ago. it was good practice for us starting out in the video biz. not being a haunt owner.....i still found it very informative and interesting. I'm really surprised i havent seen more of these seminar recordings sold on the market. But if you are not making any money on them.....i see were you have to move on!

Terror_Field
09-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Just for thought What would attract those who have taped seminars to partisipate with a 3rd party.

For those looking for videos what are you looking for and would any Haunt owner be interested.

KroneDaddy
09-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey don't forget books. Tim Harkleroad's new book is really informative, I hear, plus Tim's a handsome devil.

http://www.kronehouse.net/booksales.html

KroneDaddy

DarkTikiEntertainment
09-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm guessing that the DVDs would appeal to those who couldn't be at the show, but wished they could be, and want the information?

Terror_Field
09-21-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm guessing that the DVDs would appeal to those who couldn't be at the show, but wished they could be, and want the information?

That is correct

MidnightEvil
09-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey don't forget books. Tim Harkleroad's new book is really informative, I hear, plus Tim's a handsome devil.

http://www.kronehouse.net/booksales.html

KroneDaddy

Well Tim, I don't know about the "handsome devil" part. LOL
But you do have one hell of a good book. If anyone is going
to build a pro haunt you need this book, it will save you time
and money. This is a must have book.

Hey Tim we should make your book into a DVD
How cool would that be

Terror_Field
03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
We are in production of some videos, the website for the seminars is under development.

For Anyone that already has some video taped and those with books who would like us to sell them PM me and we can work out a deal.

here is some things to know on videos

1. we would edit, enhance and produce it to get the best looking video
2. We will do all the converting for the website
3. Free videos on site but also we plan to sell videos as well
4. Let us know, becuase if you want to sell we will do everything and work a % out