PDA

View Full Version : IAHA @ Transworld?

xxxdirk
12-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Anyone know if IAHA will have a booth? I might be interested in joining...

Empressnightshade
12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Ditto!

Mike Bizub
12-26-2006, 09:27 PM
IAHA is on the Transworld list of vendors. The booth is usually maned by current members who can answer any of your questions.

Jim Warfield
12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
. and I heard they raise money at the booth by selling kisses..

Haunted Illinois
12-26-2006, 11:40 PM
But who will be doing the kissing? :shock:

Nightmaretony
12-27-2006, 12:02 AM
usually maned? what is this, lions and Christians out there?

BrettBertolino
12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
IAHA will indeed have a booth at Transworld, is sponsoring the Frozen Tundra Fright Tour and will be having a casket basket auction, but you should NOT wait until Transworld to join.

The deadline to join and be listed in the IAHA Directory (which is distributed at TW) is January 31st. You can join online at www.HauntedHouseAssociation.org or by emailing Jim Smith at treasurer@hauntedhouseassociation.org

Oh yeah, and if there are kisses to be sold they will most likely be from our lovely secretary Deanna Roberts Morton. I'll let her know there might be a line this year!

BB

Empressnightshade
12-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Oh yeah, and if there are kisses to be sold they will most likely be from our lovely secretary Deanna Roberts Morton. I'll let her know there might be a line this year!

BB
Uh....
Ms. Morton doesn't exactly float my boat, if you know what I mean. Sorry, Deanna. No offense. :wink: Any chance lips from the male persuasion can be available as well? :twisted:

xxxdirk
12-28-2006, 01:14 AM
If I recall they used to offer a book on haunting and haunt ideas with a membership. Do they still offer that?

drfrightner
12-28-2006, 03:07 AM
IAHA is really trying to turn things around to benefit the industry. What IAHA really needs more than ANYTHING is new and dedicated haunters to run for its board. Several board members will be stepping down this year, and haunters will have to step up and help.

Larry

PumpkinHead
12-29-2006, 03:56 PM
What benefits does joining IAHA get you, other than being able to say you are a member?
Thanks,
PH

xxxdirk
12-31-2006, 08:50 PM
On the 29th, the question was posed as to what the benefits are of joining. No one has given an answer to that question, or are your lack of answers my answer?

MidnightEvil
01-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey XXXdirk

The reason your not getting a response is, only you can answer that
question, "Is IAHA worth joining"

What my be a benefit to some my not be for you and a benefit for you,
may not be for me. One other thing to think about, how much do you
want to get involved. Do you want to help build and shape the association
or just kick back and let others do everything.

In the past IAHA was like a social club, but now it's working on becoming
a real trade association. Who's main goal is to promote and educate.

The best thing to do is to stop by the IAHA booth at TW so you can ask all
your questions and make an informed decision.

PS
Don't forget to meet me for that drink.

Greg Chrise
01-01-2007, 08:16 PM
This is just my opinion, which you all know by now is probably wrong and misguided.

The IAHA has a lofty goal which depends entirely on support from haunters at all levels. It isn't distributing government funds or working from the budget of a foundation of money put up by the Industrial age, so, it must constantly solicit for any project it intends to follow up.

I would liken this to an organization similar to the local chamber of commerce only you would be expected to travel a few times a year half way across the country and inter those expenses usually at another large event such as Transworld or where ever IAAPA will be. This might be great as it coincides with major events of interest but, never the less it is a demand on the membership to devote time and resources.

Thus it becomes a personal commitment to attend and participate and discuss the eveolution over a great time of very limited resources attempting to serve a country wide industry. Further, these established goals are adopted and to be carried out by elected officials similarly with no resources dedicated, entirely on passion and committing a large portion of their own resources and fair amounts of time.

My question would be as well what would you expect? For instance Larry got nation wide articles published and ongoing lists of the top haunted houses but, I'm sure if he wanted to this could have been done with out the input of the wider populace just as easily.

I'm not sure what else could be expected of a group on a regular basis and if there is additionally no concensus of opinion it simply goes into long periods of delayed progress. It must be manned and supported by those with great resources that must somehow accept being subservient and this is not a proper match.

On the education side, there is nothing wrong with the safety books and understanding codes or providing other information or even being the network to tackel certain events. But, this puts the actual character of the leaders actually being somebody or having the posture to be someone they aren't to be effective.

The whole thing is a tough gig with as many disappointments in potential as long term possible successes. On the same token, any gathering and getting the chance to meet others may be something that no one can put a price on. To be able to in the future walk into any room at variuos parts of the country and know everyone and insome cases take those relationships out into the real world. Perhaps just walking around a show floor is not an intimate introduction or interaction.

Doesn't this sound exciting!

Sadly it is a have and have not situation. Only those that can schedule time and travel get to participate. Only those that can side track their current responsibilities or reallocate time get to make a differnence. Truely succesfull people generally already belong to organizations they belong to on a more local basis. For example, in Texas we have the TAHA which is totally free to become a member and is a consortium for those wishing to pool advertising. It has by itself a tough goal to overcome as the 50 or so haunts are of diverse income levels and are physically spread out over a 900 by 500 or more mile region. You are 5 hours from anywhere if you drive real fast.

As everyones real resources have dwindled and perhaps focused more on each event, this is a burden. Not every haunt patron population is such that you hire a manager and wander away from the on going activities or that resources would be better spent on the event. This dictates the type of people that would be the members of a country wide organization or even a larger state organization.

You end up with only successful people not willing to be subservient and those with upwardly mobile occupations that have no haunt experience as yet eager to learn by doing. The content ends up skewed as a result somehow directed by Roges Rules of Order.

I personally would rather physically travel (when feasible) to any haunt to meet first hand the individuals involved or attend regional tradeshows and gatherings meeting my core group of associates and keep the resources tight and toward ultimately the event I am sponsoring. The IAHA products might certainly be a great value from what I have seen for becoming a member and the logo certainly adds credablity to a haunts website that it conforms to perhaps a country wide vision of operations. But, that is kind of a lie for a number of start ups. There is no ability to police the quality of someone using this banner and so it has as much a risk as it does a potential benefit.

In a way IAHA has been forced to bend to the greater vision of anyone anywhere reguardless of proper funding must be educated as well as possible. It is the "no dysfunctional child left behind program" with the only regulating factor being that the price of black plastic has gone up. Then if they do aknowledge they have some bucks they need any number of consultants who have been stalking the group members list to expidite the wild ride. Sure, you can do it! We all have faith in you! You are somebody! Here's your T-shirt! That looks good on you!

It may well be something evil, the very engine of enslavement and fund reallocation created by our Godfather? Or it is the happy feel good group of a life time like the 11th step of an AAA meeting? It may work for some.

Jim Warfield
01-01-2007, 08:27 PM
11th step? I kicked inhaling fog juice many, many years ago, I don't do it now, I can't my body won't let me, but where can I get a quick gallon? ANYBODY? PLEEZE!

OK, It passed, I'm better now.

gadget-evilusions
01-02-2007, 10:25 PM
after the above posts, i am curious. What don't I know about the past of IAHA? I joined last year, and already renewed for 2007, but from what I am reading, were there some past evils of IAHA?

savage
01-03-2007, 11:34 AM
after the above posts, i am curious. What don't I know about the past of IAHA? I joined last year, and already renewed for 2007, but from what I am reading, were there some past evils of IAHA?

You have *no* idea the can of worms you're potentially opening with such a simple question.

Yes, "past evils" there were. A couple of years ago there was some serious... I can't even think of a nice way to put it. Serious BULLSHIT going on with the Head Honchos of the IAHA.

I joined in 2004 and renewed in 2005 with a credit card at TransWorld. July of 2005, I was asked to provide cover artwork for the IAHA Member Directory, which I was happy to do.

Then I became friends with several people who were either on the board, or had been on the board, and got an ear full of information that made my blood boil. Misconduct and misdeeds galore behind the scenes.

I'm old enough to know there's two sides to every story, (and I know how the rumor mill works in this industry), so I didn't take anything at face value, but it was clear to me that certain people on the board needed replacing, really badly.

So I cast my proxy vote through a friend and fellow member in autumn of 2005 at IAAPA.

Said friend was told by the then-current IAHA administration that my credit card "had never cleared" and so I "wasn't a member", and so my vote "didn't count".

I checked my bank records. My credit card was never *charged*.

A couple of months later, IAHA asked me to "renew my membership" - how do you renew something you don't have?

So, to recap: When IAHA needed artwork or money, I was a member. When I voted against those in power, I wasn't.

Needless to say, I didn't (and haven't) renewed since.

NOW!

Having said all that, the administration I was talking about was subsequently unseated, victims of their own mistakes. The current board seems genuinely sincere about turning IAHA around and making something of it, and I respect that.

The problem now, IMO, is that IAHA needs to focus and decide what it wants to be. Is it an enthusiast organization for haunt lovers and hobbyists, or is it a serious organization dedicated to helping professionals in the industry advance their businesses?

I'm sorry, folks, but it can't be both. Professionals need more support than an all-volunteer, unpaid organization can provide, and enthusiasts/hobbyists are never going to be happy with a group that is as worried about money as it is about fun.

I think subdivisions of IAHA, for professionals and for enthusiasts, would be a BIG step in the right direction...

Dan Faupel
01-04-2007, 01:58 AM
I've been really busy lately, and haven't had much of a chance to get on here in a couple of weeks...

I'm no IAHA commercial, but to give some answer as to what SPECIFIC things can you get from IAHA, here is what is on the IAHA website at http://www.hauntedhouseassociation.org/about.htm :

Benefits for Joining IAHA

-On going exchange of ideas and information with members worldwide via IAHA's automatic e-mail service, the e-list and message boards and IAHA functions.
-Special IAHA discounts for haunted house vendors and suppliers
-Official IAHA I.D. card and membership emblem
-The IAHA E-Zine newsletter and other mailings
-Access to the exclusive members only area of IAHA's website www.hauntedhouseassociation.org
-Printed Directory of IAHA members worldwide that includes names, phone numbers, email, websites and the directory also includes calendar of haunted events, discounts for vendors products and more.
-Subscription to Tourist Parks and Attractions Magazine
-Listing of your haunted house on our website
-Opportunities to serve on a variety of special interest committees
-Participation on member surveys and access to the results
-Access to valuable safety information, news and articles about our industry and much more

This list is in need of updating for 2007 because it doesn't include anything about the benefits of the National PR Campaign...

Chad...there has been no definitive chest thumping moment as far as IAHA announcing a seperation between amateurs and pros, but a while back we changed IAHA's mission statement to state that IAHA is dedicated to promoting and protecting PROFESSIONAL haunted attractions, and that's what we are...IAHA is geared towards professional haunts, not enthusiasts...

Professional attraction owners and operators are going to get the most value out of IAHA...that's not to say that there is no value to home haunts (there are special lower membership tiers for enthusiasts), because if you are a serious home haunt who aspires to be professional someday, there is value for you in being a member, and having a full membership may be a better way for you to go...

There are other benefits to being a IAHA member if you are a vendor...

IAHA would love to have you back Chad...IAHA is definitley in a better place than it was a couple of years ago...

Mr Nightmarez
01-04-2007, 06:08 AM
I joined IAHA back in 2001 or 2000... paid my dues and never received anything worth CRAP... EXCEPT the Directory Great tool!

Otherwise it was a bust for me... so I dropped in 2004. (When it still sucked)

Eddie, Rob, heck a lot of people have attempted to get me back on board... and I want to have a pow wow w/ IAHA @ TW and rejoin - :wink:

I agree it's needed for the industry, but I sent checks and never saw anything... Other than an updated directory and bill for the next year's dues...:roll: If it has changed for the better... I need to be a part of it. As well as anyone else in the industry. :twisted:

Great comments above by Chad... I had to go back and re-read that... That's what I want to know - What direction is the organization going? Or am I wasting more $$$?

xxxdirk
01-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Dan,
Do you know what vendors participate & the discounts?

Dan Faupel
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
xxxdirk...you are asking the right guy, seeing as I am the one who manages the Vendor Discount Program...

Most of the top professional industry vendors offer discounts exclusively to IAHA members...and most offer pretty sweet discounts...here's a list of some of the participants...

AEO Studios
Bloody Mary
Cain Industries, Ltd.
Counts Designs Inc.
Creative Visions
Creepy Collection
Dark Attraction Productions
Digital Sound and Lighting
Distortions Unlimited
The Ed Gein Collection
Evilusions
Full Moon Studios
GEP Productions
Gore Galore
Halloween Productions, Inc.
Hauntworld
Midwest Haunters Convention
Nightmares Inc / Sinister Scents
Oak Island Productions
The Perfect Image of St. Louis
Scareparts
Screamland Productions
Tourist Attractions and Parks Magazine
The Village of Darkness

And about 60 haunt industry vendors are members of IAHA...

Hope we can win you back over Nighmarez!...as you and many other past members know, IAHA was doing pretty well until the bottom fell out of it in the '04-'05 area, and us new people are still working hard to clean up the fall-out...

When the group of directors that is currently up for re-election (including myself, Brett, Tim, Eddie, etc.) were first voted in a year and a half ago, I don't think that any of us were totally aware of what a mess we were stepping into...it was either let IAHA die, like it was headed, or pick up the pieces and try to put the whole thing back together again, almost like starting over...we decided to try to make it the best it's ever been...I think we have done a pretty good job myself...

IAHA is a young organization, and it takes awhile to get things accomplished sometimes when you really completely on volunteers donating their own time on top of their haunts and usually other day jobs...that is one of our near future goals..to be able to afford at least a part-time paid position that handles daily mundane tasks that it takes to run an association like IAHA...that would be a big step in straightening out IAHA and making it easier to manage...

The time has flown by, and now our "draft class" has to ask ourselves if we want to make another run at the BOD...I was originally leaning towards not returning, but am feeling like not enough has been accomplished yet, and we haven't found suitable replacements for ourselves yet...I plan on making up my mind 100% after tonight's BOD phone meeting...I believe in IAHA, and I know we can make this thing work, especially if we can get more member involvement...

IAHA needs more motivated new blood...

We need ALL professional haunted attractions to join IAHA, and help keep this thing steered in the right direction...and so it will truly be a unified voice for the industry...

Anyone wanting to join should do so before the end of the month so you can be listed in the printed directory which will be available for members to pick up at TW...you can join here:

http://www.hauntedhouseassociation.org/join.htm

See you soon at TW!

Haunted Illinois
01-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Dan,

How would a guy like me benefit from joining? I already interact with all the movers and shakers at the conventions.

lurker
01-04-2007, 09:52 PM
I already interact with all the movers and shakers at the conventions.

I didn't know there were Shakers at the conventions! I've ran into a few Amish and Quakers at the conventions I've been to, but never a Shaker! Someone needs to point them out to me. Do they wear special hats?

PumpkinHead
01-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I didn't know there were Shakers at the conventions! I've ran into a few Amish and Quakers at the conventions I've been to, but never a Shaker! Someone needs to point them out to me. Do they wear special hats?

They don't wear hats, they are the ones selling the nice furniture... and apple butter.

Dan, what kinds of discounts ( % wise ) do members get, thanks!

-PH

Jim Warfield
01-04-2007, 11:48 PM
You can tell the "Movers" they wear work clothes and it says "Bowel Movers" on their shirts, nice logo too, sort of resembles a dirt-torpedo, it's sort of unclear?

Dan Faupel
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
You're right Adam...someone as popular and cool as you doesn't need the networking opportunities that IAHA presents!...hehehe...just f'ing with you...you're not that cool!...hehehehehehe...again teasing of course...

I love how I've become Mr. IAHA Cheerleader here...WOooOHoOOoo!...go team go!...hehehe...

PumpkinHead...the discounts offered typically range from 5% to 25% off of products and services...

Dan Faupel
01-05-2007, 12:01 AM
I would have to say the new number one reason to join IAHA now is so that you will be guaranteed a vote in this upcoming election which will be featuring Hauntworld's very own Kelly Allen, owner of Raycliff Manor in Eureka Springs...Kel very recently decided to step up and run for the board of directors...Kel, you rock man!...I know you will be a perfect fit!

Vote for Kelly!

Hey, this could be the next "Vote for Pedro", like in Napolean Dynamite!.....I'm having t-shirts printed!...hehehehe...

Mr Nightmarez
01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
But what is IAHA planning for 2007 that will benefit me, him, that guy and those folks!

I guess - What can IAHA do for the haunters in 2007 - 2008? Plans and goals for the group? :wink:

Raycliff Manor
01-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Ha! I knew there was a reason I identified with Pedro so much! :lol: Seriously though Dan and Mike (Tattoo), thanks for the nomination and the vote of confidence! I know how hard you both work and how dedicated you are to the industry and your endorsement means a lot to me my friends!

Like Dan pointed out in his list of IAHA benefits, there are a number of reasons to join. The greatest benenfits are mostly intangible. When I initially joined the IAHA a few years ago, it was for purely selfish reasons. The reasons were as follows:

1. Being a part of an "association" lends credibility when approaching lenders.

2. It was a great way to meet and network other people in the industry with a shared passion for haunting.

3. It was a great way to become educated on vendors/suppliers, products and services.

4. It provided quick access to industry information that would have otherwise taken me much longer to acquire

5. Discounts from IAHA Vendors

I'm not trying to put a sales pitch on the association, this is just a little background on why I joined.

Why am I a member now and why have I decided to contribute, if elected, as a board member?

My reasons for being involved in the IAHA have evolved and I feel that it is time to give back. I've benefited from the association and I feel that I should give back to the industry in any way I can. I've been in communication with a number of the board members over the past year and I've seen these individuals tirelessly work to re-organize and get the IAHA back on track. These are all volunteers taking time out of their lives to try and make a difference in an industry we are all passionate about. Some great things are taking place and they have been responsible for getting the train back on the track and fueling the steam engines. I almost feel like I'm getting off easy to jump on board and try to help now. Although, I know there is a lot of work still ahead for the industry.

At any rate, now is an exciting time to be a part of the IAHA. As an association, the IAHA organization is still relatively young. The PR Campaign that took place last year was nothing short of a miracle! I believe those of us who operate professional haunted attractions and those who aspire to "go pro" will realize the benefits of this industry exposure for some time to come! I'm excited about the opportunity, should I be elected, to contribute to the evolution and development of the association. As an association, with the support of the members, I believe we are positioned to reach new heights.

My approach to contributing in the IAHA would be a no-nonsense, no drama and no politicing, business approach. I'm not the type of person who enjoys the public eye, unless of course I'm acting in Raycliff Manor, and I enjoy working hard to achieve established goals and objectives with a clearly defined mission. I enjoy helping to establish and/or sustain a cohesive and cooperative team effort through dedication, contribution and member support. My desire, as I've mentioned previously, is to give back and to help others in the industry that has been there for me, again in mostly intangible ways. One thing I've learned in life is to never come to the table complaining about a "problem" without first investigating, listening, gathering data and producing a propsed "solution".

I have made a personal commitment, and New Year's resolution of sorts, to make a significant contribution to this industry. I realize that if I want the association to be positioned to continue to provide benefits to its' long time members, it's going to take the support and participation of the members to acieve this. There's a saying that's often used in business that is very true, "A rising tide lifts all boats". As someone who has reaped the benefits of those who have laid the foundation and sustained the industry, I know it's my karmic duty to pay it forward. The result will be a rising of the tide and more exciting times in the industry for all of us! :wink:

If you are an IAHA member, I appreciate your support so that I in turn can dedicate my time and services to returning that support.

Kel

Dan Faupel
01-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Mr. Nightmarez...come by the IAHA booth at TW...we should have a 5 year plan that you can see...

Kelly...I love your "pay it forward" attitude!...this should be IAHA's theme for TW!

Jim Warfield
01-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Why don't the former treasurers of organizations ever talk about "Giving Back?'
I'll be sending Kelly a case of fresh tangerines.
Then he can see some intangibles! In-hand!
You just make way too much sense, Kelly.
Please, I hope you know, I mean this as a compliment.

I wonder what percentage of 18 yr. olds have never been to a haunted attraction?
Ever since I opened up I have met a large number of people who seemed to have never heard of such a thing.
They didn't just tumble off the turnip truck either.
Maybe in the scheme of things we are all just small potatos?
Small potatos forgotten about in the bottom of Grandma's kitchen bin where the spiders all died from wrestling with the potato eyes as they spread circling the bin looking for some real customers, instead of those too hard to please multi-legged bug-wanna-bees, wanna be bees?

Barry
01-07-2007, 09:14 AM
MHC offers a $5 discount off of registration which amounts to about an 8% discount.

"Pay it forward"? That movie had a really sad ending. :(

ClusterOne
01-08-2007, 02:12 AM
For years I have been thinking of joining, but there always seemed to be some turmoil around the association. Stories of people sending in money, and not really getting much out of it. Or lots of he said/she said crap...

The PR campaign last year made me look up and take notice again, so I am thinking about joining once more.

Is there really any benefit for a new haunt to join right away (before Jan 31) or do you think joining at TW would be fine?

And if I might say, Kelly, that was one great campaign trail speech! If everyone on the board has that attitude and passion, I'm there!

Mr Nightmarez
01-08-2007, 06:20 AM
:shock: Agreed "Cluster" - If everyone has the passion of Kel -
Things might happen! :wink:

I will definitely drop by the booth @ TW. Why doesn't IAHA do a dinner or lunch where members can mingle?

Or if I was part of it - I would know about the one happening? :roll: :oops:

Mike Bizub
01-08-2007, 07:55 PM
If you join before the 31st you will be included in this years IAHA directory. That exposure may be valueable to you.

Raycliff Manor
01-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys, but I have to say, I only hope I can prove to be half as dedicated as the team who has endured the task of getting the IAHA re-directed and re-focused! Should the BOD decide to accept me as a candidate and should I be elected, I can guarantee that I'll do my best to support the efforts that have already been undertaken to provide a great foundation and incredible potential so that we can continue to grow and realize even greater things as an association! :wink:

Kel