PDA

View Full Version : What Food Is St Louis Known For?

Jolly Pumpkin
03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Since this will be my first time visiting St.Louis I would like to know what restaurants, attractions and events St.Louis is known for besides The Darkness. I want to experience the best St.Louis has to offer. My brother has been to St.Louis, but the only thing He really talked about was Jack In The Box. Ohio doesn't have Jack In The Box. It sounds yummy though. Wow, that sounded gay.

Boni
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Beer, the city is famous for Beer. Go to the A-B brewery tour, really interesting and 2 free drinks at the end.

I also really enjoyed the City Museum, but you need to have kids with you to really enjoy it.

Their science museum is really good too.

I think Fried Ravioli is a St. Louis original too.

Finally, and I have no idea where they are located, The Big Bang. it is a dueling piano bar, our church hires them to come to Indiana every year and do a fundraiser, it is a blast. They play all sorts of rock songs on the piano by request. They do TV theme songs, college school songs, its very audience driven.

brad
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
And there's always the St. Louis style ribs. I'm sure there will be tons of BBQ joints around town.

The Big Bang bar isnt far from the convention center. It's located at:

Laclede’s Landing
807/809 N. Second Street
St. Louis, MO, 63102

Here's a link to the map:
http://maps.google.com/?q=807%2F809+N.+Second+Street%2C+St.+Louis%2C+MO%2 C+63102%2C+us

drfrightner
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
RIBS

Toasted Ravioli (ask any place you go it was invented here)

BBQ

Italian (they have more of those places than anything)

Thin Crust Pizza

Kevin Dells
03-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Since this will be my first time visiting St.Louis I would like to know what restaurants, attractions and events St.Louis is known for besides The Darkness. I want to experience the best St.Louis has to offer. My brother has been to St.Louis, but the only thing He really talked about was Jack In The Box. Ohio doesn't have Jack In The Box. It sounds yummy though. Wow, that sounded gay.

My thought would have been "Grits" Isn't St. Louis known as the south?

Well it was south when i had lived in Illinois anyways!

Nightgore
03-16-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought it was either central U.S. or considered the "midwest"... Don't know? -Tyler

Mr. Malice
03-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Pointers Pizza and the Tin Can Bar and Grill.

Haunting Copy
03-16-2009, 10:08 AM
I would really like to go to The Big Bang and eat ribs. Can you do both there?

Sarah

damon carson
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Here are alot of the places I like to eat when I come to St. Louis. On the cheaper end White Castle, Jack in the Box. Nicer more expensive places Morgan Street Brewery and restaurant, Show Me's and Jakes Steaks all down on Lacledes Landing. Master Piece BBQ, Lemp Mansion Resturant Sunday Buffet is AWESOME! Isnt St. Louis famous for frozen custard too?!
Damon

Evilution Unlimited
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Fitz's rootbeer.
It is like an old fashion rootbeer stand with great burgers. Best of all, they make their own rootbeer!
http://www.fitzsrootbeer.com/

Davey J
03-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Ted Drewes frozen custard!

http://www.teddrewes.com/Drewes.asp

brad
03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Pointers Pizza

I'm glad you posted this!!

I remember seeing them on the Travel Channel. It was for best pizza joints in USA.

They have the Point-asaurus. It's huge! Something like 30" across. They give you a certain amount of time for 2 people to eat the whole thing.

It's one of those- no-one-can-ever-finish-it kinda things. I'm gonna have to try it.

Anyone down with this idea. I dont think my dad would be up for it, so I need a teammate!

brad
03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
HA!!!! I found it!

http://www.pointersdelivery.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26

It's only $50 to try, and you get $500 back if you finish it.

Anybody think they would wanna try this? PM me.

Mr. Malice
03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
but the fine print of the contest :

"You must make a reservation at least one day in advance and the contest is only done at 3 PM each day"

Evilution Unlimited
03-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Chuck Berry's Blueberry Hill
http://www.blueberryhill.com/
It is a fancy burger joint, but some people think it is a bit over priced. It is filled with memorabilia and has a nice beer selection. Entertainment wise it has darts, pinball, a jukebox, and music club.

Haunting Copy
03-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Where are the ribs (that are close to the conv center)? :)

Show Me's, maybe?

Haunting Copy
03-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I looked it up and they're only open at night. For myself, I doubt I'll end up going there, but if y'all are interested, here's a link:

www.thebigbangbar.com

Cheers!

damon carson
03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Go to Jakes Steaks they have some awesome ribs! And they have jalepeno corn bread muffins and you can even get a salad with a spicy southwestern ranch. Thats if you like the spice in life and your food!
Damon

Haunting Copy
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
When y'all give recommendations or ideas, can y'all post a map link with it? I'll start doing that, too. :)

MidnightEvil
03-17-2009, 06:02 PM
HA!!!! I found it!

http://www.pointersdelivery.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26

That sounds real tempting, It's only 5lb of Pizza each ;-)

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm up for going with y'all to the place, if you want to do the contest. But I would be no use as a teammate. :(

We gotta find someplace to eat, though, because the hotel is going to have only expensive food.

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Damon, I looked up Jake's Steaks, and they got some pretty bad reviews, LOL. It was on Trip Advisor that I saw the reviews.

Any other suggestions? :)

Go to Jakes Steaks they have some awesome ribs! And they have jalepeno corn bread muffins and you can even get a salad with a spicy southwestern ranch. Thats if you like the spice in life and your food!
Damon

damon carson
03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Haunted Copy Im not saying that Jakes Steaks is the best in town. Im telling you about the ribs I ate there probably 5 to 6 yrs ago. They may have changed hands in that time I dont know. I just know they had some nice ribs at the time. Seriously do you listen to reviews when you go to a movie? Most of the ones they hate are the really good ones.
Damon

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Haunted Copy Im not saying that Jakes Steaks is the best in town. Im telling you about the ribs I ate there probably 5 to 6 yrs ago. They may have changed hands in that time I dont know. I just know they had some nice ribs at the time. Seriously do you listen to reviews when you go to a movie? Most of the ones they hate are the really good ones.
Damon

I usually make a point to go to a movie if the critics hate it. But those are the "professional" critics. They have to justify their jobs somehow, LOL!

The reviews I read were from (presumably) regular people, and they all had similar complaints.

It's like Red Lobster and The Olive Garden. Both of those chains have gone down the tubes, at least in South Texas. They used to be reliable, but now I expect the meal and/or service to suck. I still go now and then to see if things have changed.

But I really do appreciate the suggestion, Damon - thank you very much. :)

brad
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
That sounds real tempting, It's only 5lb of Pizza each ;-)

Yeah man, thats not too bad! LOL.

I know they say you gotta make a reservation for it, so if you think wanna try it, we can figure out what day.

I probly dont have a chance at it, but it's the experience of it that I like. What better way to enjoy TW than to stuff yourself!

brad
03-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm up for going with y'all to the place, if you want to do the contest. But I would be no use as a teammate. :(

We gotta find someplace to eat, though, because the hotel is going to have only expensive food.

Sarah, you could be our cheerleader!

That would be cool. I've heard they have really good pizza, so you could always get one while we're there. Eat yours and then cheer us on!

What you think about that?

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm game. I love pizza! And to watch y'all stuff your faces, that's just the . . . cherry on top??? :confused:

Plus, if I don't get any other suggestions for a ribs place, I'll try out Jake's. I'll make Damon go with me! ;)

Sarah, you could be our cheerleader!

That would be cool. I've heard they have really good pizza, so you could always get one while we're there. Eat yours and then cheer us on!

What you think about that?

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I just got salsa up my nose.

It burns.

Don_OfThe_Dead
03-18-2009, 01:06 PM
HA!!!! I found it!

I, dear sir, could accomplish this. If anyone else is game let me know, I'll make the reservations if 2 people are in (we need a sub just in case)
Also we need people in the off chance we fail (which will not happen) so $50 of pizza doesn't go to waste.
Seriously though- If i know ahead of time I can demolish 6-7 pounds of pizza no problem-o. We need someone to keep time though to make sure I stay on pace.

Also since some people are posting sightseeing items, there is always the cathedral basilica which is about 3 miles away from the american center. I plan on checking it out.

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I, dear sir, could accomplish this. If anyone else is game let me know, I'll make the reservations if 2 people are in (we need a sub just in case)
Also we need people in the off chance we fail (which will not happen) so $50 of pizza doesn't go to waste.
Seriously though- If i know ahead of time I can demolish 6-7 pounds of pizza no problem-o. We need someone to keep time though to make sure I stay on pace.

<loads camera>

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Also since some people are posting sightseeing items, there is always the cathedral basilica which is about 3 miles away from the american center. I plan on checking it out.

If there's time - har har har - I'll go with you to check it out!

damon carson
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Haunted Copy, I mentioned Masterpiece BBQ as well. They have excellent ribs but ya if I will go with you to Jakes and If you dont like them I will treat you to a micro-brew across the street at the Morgan Street Brewery. If you like them you can buy me a beer. And then if your not up for that you just might have to talk Larry into fixing you some bbq. Its a little know secret he makes the best bbq around. LOL!
Damon

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Haunted Copy, I mentioned Masterpiece BBQ as well. They have excellent ribs but ya if I will go with you to Jakes and If you dont like them I will treat you to a micro-brew across the street at the Morgan Street Brewery. If you like them you can buy me a beer. And then if your not up for that you just might have to talk Larry into fixing you some bbq. Its a little know secret he makes the best bbq around. LOL!
Damon

Whoops! I didn't see the Masterpiece suggestion. Is it closer to the Ren?

Hmm, let me think about your offer. I'm all skeptical of Jake's now, plus I don't drink/like beer, LOL.

As for Larry, I'll be surprised if he has time to eat, much less cook! Sounds like he really should plan on a summer BBQ party. :D (See, Larry? I'm lookin' out for ya!)

damon carson
03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh please why dont I just give you the key to the city! LOL! Just joking! No Masterpiece is not closer. What haunter doesnt like beer??? Well some might not! But okay drink of your choice how bout that. God knows Im gonna a need a few! Ha! Anyway Masterpiece is in Chesterfield, MO the phone number is 1-636-536-3833. Website is www.masterpiece-bbq.com Hope this helps gosh! LOL! Or go to www.stlbbq.com I found another location for Masterpiece in Union Station that would be closer than Chesterfield. The number is 314-621-5028. I suppose that this stlbbq.com is kept current??? Good luck!
Damon

N2SPOOKINU
03-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey Damon, I was told that Paul pointer now owns Jakes streaks. This is the same guy that owns the Lemp Mansion dinner theatre and Bed and breakfast. Thats what I heard. I could be wrong about my information. It should be a good time.
Greg

damon carson
03-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Hmm didnt know that? If that is the case then you can expect the food to be as good as it ever was. How long have they had it?
Damon

Haunting Copy
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
You're in trouble!:mad:

damon carson
03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Ha! Ha!
Damon

brad
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
My gosh.

That's all I can say to this.

Talking about all this food.... I'm gonna be a big blob by the time i come home.

Pointers Pizza, Masterpiece BBQ, the great Italian places...etc.

Soounds like Im gonna be eating like a king all weekend long.

brad
03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I just got salsa up my nose.

It burns.

How the hell did you manage to do that? LOL!

brad
03-18-2009, 11:32 PM

You have just been recruited for the job!

What day are we gonna do this? Im game for any day.

MidnightEvil
03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey Brad
I "PM" you, guess you didn't check mail.

Don_OfThe_Dead
03-19-2009, 07:06 AM
You have just been recruited for the job!

What day are we gonna do this? Im game for any day.

Well we wont be arriving till after 4 thursday, and all my seminars last till 315. Reading this contest info now it seems I might not be able to participate. I shall call them later today and inquire about 4pm instead of 3pm(which is when it's suppose to begin) on friday. Considering they're open till 2am I doubt this will be an issue.

So Friday it is say 4is?- we got a sub in case of anything?

brad
03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry Gary, I didnt see it in my mailbox.

Um... now I'm stuck.

Gary, are you all for this idea?

In case Don drops out because of timing issues, would you do this?

I'm driving up there, so we could take my truck.

MidnightEvil
03-19-2009, 11:56 AM
If it's on Fri or Sat, I'm good to go

Haunting Copy
03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
How the hell did you manage to do that? LOL!

ALL I wanted to do was bend down to get the salt shaker, which had fallen on the floor, so I could salt my chips.

I happened to be chewing some chips and salsa at the same time.

And up went the salsa, right into my sinuses and the very top part of my nose.

So let it be a warning to all of you: SALSA IS FAST AND IT WILL BURN THE SINUSES!

brad
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
If it's on Fri or Sat, I'm good to go

OK, sorry bout that man. I dont know how I missed your PM.

It will be on Friday. Hopefully Don will find something out pretty soon, and we can figure it out from there.

brad
03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
ALL I wanted to do was bend down to get the salt shaker, which had fallen on the floor, so I could salt my chips.

I happened to be chewing some chips and salsa at the same time.

And up went the salsa, right into my sinuses and the very top part of my nose.

So let it be a warning to all of you: SALSA IS FAST AND IT WILL BURN THE SINUSES!

HAHAHAHA!!!! Now, that's a good laugh. Thanks.

brad
03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Midnight and Don, I just got some bad news. I just called Pointers Pizza and they are booked up on Thurs-Sunday next week.

He said that they will only do 1 group a day, no exceptions.

He told me to call back on Monday and see if they can change anything up.

Don, you didnt happen to make a reservation did you?

Don_OfThe_Dead
03-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Midnight and Don, I just got some bad news. I just called Pointers Pizza and they are booked up on Thurs-Sunday next week.

He said that they will only do 1 group a day, no exceptions.

He told me to call back on Monday and see if they can change anything up.

Don, you didnt happen to make a reservation did you?

Nope- I called about it an hour ago and they told me the same thing- you just beat me to the punch. Though the guy I talked to didnt give any hope- so we should call back monday to annoy.
It's too bad they're letting a bunch of losers do it rather than some winners.

scare-m
03-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Any recommendations for a good local diner for an early morning breakfast?

damon carson
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Dennys! Just joking. I have never really ate breakfast in St. Louis isnt that strange?
Damon

Haunting Copy
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
No . . . NO . . . anywhere but DENNY'S!!!!

scare_m: I really like your avatar!!

drfrightner
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
If you go to YOUTUBE and type in St. Louis Style Ribs you'll get instructions on how to cook them... best ribs in the world!!!!

St. Louis is known for a certain style ribs, and toasted Ravs try both!

Larry

damon carson
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh common Sarah whats wrong with eating at Dennys 3 to 4 days straight. Just think of all the grease you can consume. It will be just like the good old days in Chicago. LOL! To be honest that used to be the only time I would ever eat at Dennys. But I sure could use a club sandwich and some fries from there right about now. Yum!
Damon

Haunting Copy
03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Oh common Sarah whats wrong with eating at Dennys 3 to 4 days straight. Just think of all the grease you can consume. It will be just like the good old days in Chicago. LOL! To be honest that used to be the only time I would ever eat at Dennys. But I sure could use a club sandwich and some fries from there right about now. Yum!
Damon

It's not the grease that bothers me. It's the frozen peas and the 50-minute wait to get them! I hate that place!