PDA

View Full Version : disney pirate projection

wipp
12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
i rode the new redone pirate ride at disney world,they redid their flames with silk and changed a few things but does anyone know what the projection of davy jones was projected onto?you pass right through a curtain of what looks like fog but dosnt smell like fog.was this a mist curtain?i didnt at all get wet from it.

PumpkinHead
12-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey Wipp,
They are actually projecting on a curtain of atomized water molecules. Water is bombarded with ultrasonic waves that actually knock the molecules appart. two channels of air then contain the fog making a pretty cool screen to project on.
Check out the maker at : http://fogscreen.com
happy haunting,
PH

wipp
12-29-2006, 09:20 PM
thanks alot.yeah i was wonderin cause it created like a doorway about 6 inches thick and the room wasnt all filled with fog.

Jim Warfield
12-29-2006, 10:08 PM
So it wasn't much fun?
You said it didn't even get you wet!

PumpkinHead
12-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Eh... I think there is enough unwanted moisture on the ride seats at disney... Although you wouldn't need to worry where this moisture came from.
-PH

Jim Warfield
12-29-2006, 11:00 PM
So the relief valve popped open on the old Depends?
About two years ago a little girl (about 11?) wet herself, very obviously, after experiencing "The Bad Dream Bed".
She returned a week later , I recognised her and didn't want to possibly mention her previous experience here embarrassing her...then she began telling everyone in the room all about it, almost bragging about it!?

wipp
12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
can you describe this bad dream bed?

Jim Warfield
12-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Condensing the sound tracks recorded from the thousands and thousands of hours of video tape, I would describe it as follwing:"Holy Sh AHHH!!"
"AAIII! AH! "God save me!" "Whoa! AAHHAHHAH!"
Sometimes I have the opportunity to inform them that God will not be saving them because I very recently saw God taking a break in the local bar, having a beer, Sorry.
It is quite a unique, personal, unforgettable experience, that begs to actually be experienced to be fully appreciated. Right?

dr0zombie
12-30-2006, 12:06 AM
Wipp, if you have to ask you need to hit Jim's place during Transworld... it is a MUST see type item.... and bring your adult wetness protection.....

wipp
12-30-2006, 12:24 AM
yeah from what i understand he has a real original thing goin there

Nightmaretony
12-30-2006, 09:37 AM
That is most likely THE understatement of the year....

Wait till you see the chainsaw!

Raycliff Manor
12-30-2006, 10:46 AM
PH, that is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this link! I've sent them a request for information and pricing. Hopefully the cost won't make me go... :shock:

Kel

Joedog
12-30-2006, 11:05 AM
kel
The cost will make you go http://209.85.48.10/2932/36/emo/shakehead.gif

then walk away going http://209.85.48.10/2932/36/emo/nonono.gif

Raycliff Manor
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I take it you've already gotten the price from them Joe. :lol: I guess the cost of new technology is always set to help recover the R&D involved in developing the product. Maybe it'll come down in time. Hopefully before it's old news and has lost its' effectiveness in a haunted attraction. :wink:

Kel

PumpkinHead
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
I beleive it is somewhere around $100,000 for one of them .... You can talk to them about renting...
-PH

Raycliff Manor
12-30-2006, 12:25 PM
YIKES :!: :shock: :!: :shock:

Kel

PumpkinHead
12-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Kel,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=46IzFJW1Svg

You might find that interesting.
-PH

Raycliff Manor
12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Cool! Thanks PH! :D

Kel

SpFXChic
12-30-2006, 02:14 PM
That is a really nifty idea! Expensive, but nifty!

lurker
12-30-2006, 07:35 PM
There was some talk a while back on the Technical Insanity message board about the possibilities of making a home made version of the Fog Screen, but I don’t think anyone came up with a plan. It seems like something similar could be created. It wouldn’t need to be as cohesive a screen as the Fog Screen has to project a ghost for a haunted house.

Joedog
12-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I beleive it is somewhere around $100,000 for one of them ..

Told ya...

I also checked into planning a lowbudget garage built version . That was gonna run me nearly $1000 for parts not to mention the building of it with no garantee of it even working. so I just filed it under in the not on my budget file.

But dang,,, it would be an AWESOME effect

lurker
12-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Joedog
You need to take one for the team, and try to build your $1000 version :D Nothing ventured nothing gained, right?
Maybe we can raise some R&D money from all the people on the different boards to fund your experiment.

PumpkinHead
12-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Joedog,
Don't get started too soon. I think I might be able to get some reliable instructions for a cheaper version.
-PH

Hollow 3D
12-30-2006, 08:05 PM
The Fog Screen costs $98,000.00. We were going to become a distributor for this product until we heard the price. It is a great effect but unless your Disney who can afford it. We are going to work on a much more affortable version in the near future. We'll keep you posted.

David Love
Hollow 3D Productions
http://www.hollow3d.com
hollow3d@pacbell.net
805-579-0585

Raycliff Manor
12-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Definitely keep us posted David! And I'm really looking forward to checking out your Hollow 3D product at TW!!!

Kel

SomeThingInTheIce
12-31-2006, 07:50 AM
$98.000.00 but how much of that is profit? VCRs first cost over a $1,000.00 now they give them away.

Greg Chrise
12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
It's a chicken coop mister without the fan. Scary reflections of chickens if you are at the right angle. I'd say an $800 pressure washer, $300 used and the right tips on a pipe. You could do all of your R&D late at night at the $1.25 car wash, just don't use the tire cleaner or the soapy brushy thing.

Once the mist is happening right, you convert to an electric motor of the same output. Think a #25 orifice spread out into 50 micro tips adding up to the same output. Mosquito juice dispensing tips for those fancy home automated systems.

I'm afraid if there was any ionic demolecularization you would be dead. Like the Philidelphia experiment. It is just fine atomization and even the pumps shutting off before you get there. Always listen for the clicks of valves. They had this 25 years ago in what ever attraction had dinosaurs behind the mist. The most molecule spreading would maybe be a slight amount of soap or glycerine to dispel water tension.

I gotta go , I'm feeling a little water tension......

wipp
12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
yeah i cant see them selling many of those at that price.why would u buy a mist machine for 100k.it dosnt even have a bathroom or a kitchen

Jim Warfield
12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Did Benny Franklin say:"A fool and his money are soon parted?"
(Which explains government spending in a nutshell!)

There are always more than one way to achieve the same results, forget the mist, forget the fancy light bulbs and electrical circuitry, I have had the same effect here at The Ravens Grin, it's simply a real apparition!!
("God! I am SO Lazy And Cheap!" )

lurker
12-31-2006, 05:44 PM
So, Jim, you suggest that the cheapest way to get the effect would be to bump off a few annoying patrons and/or actors within the walls of our haunt, and then just wait for them to start haunting the place. That would be cheap. And, you could get a couple extra corpses out of the deal.
Do you know any way to get ghosts to appear on cue? I have a hard time just getting the living to appear on cue.

Greg Chrise
12-31-2006, 08:47 PM
How to get the ghosties to appear on cue?

Volume Volume volume.

You have 37 spirits available etherally stringed to that buiding and also be near a cemetery and rely on the show times to coincide with the wobble of the earth's magnetic grid, so twice a day there is a wave of activity. At Jims latitude the grid sweeps about 43 miles back and forth and he is in a dead zone for other interference like cell phone and radio signals.

Oh, yes and Jim is actually dead too. And he passes a lots of gas that things can be projected onto.

Jim Warfield
12-31-2006, 09:43 PM
All true Gregg and psuedo-scientifically correct. (It's my best psuet!)
Even a deadman has to run out of passable gas eventually. Come visit the Ravens Grin and watch Jim to see if you might be the extremely lucky one to be here when that happens!