PDA

View Full Version : Google SketchUp

Front Yard Fright
03-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Have any of you heard of Google SketchUp? It's a free program provided by Google that allows you to make 3D models of pretty much anything you can think of. I just recently started using it to map out my haunt for this year and it's amazing to work with! It's really simple, and you can do most anything! I figured I'd tell you about it because it could prove to be really useful to planning and building haunts.

You can get a free download of the program at http://sketchup.google.com/
:).

Speculo
03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Universal Studios uses it extensively for Halloween Horror Nights. They are doing a Transworld seminar on it...

4:45 PM - 5:45 PM Saturday Marth 28th

Designing Your Haunted Attraction In 3D With Cheap Software!

Learn how the staff of Universal Halloween Horror Nights uses SketchUp to
design their entire event. This powerful program can create 3D walk-throughs,
integrate with existing CAD programs and import photo backgrounds allowing a
complete design before building a single wall panel! BONUS See 3D
walk-throughs of Universal Horror Night mazes!

T.J. Mannarino

Universal Halloween
Horror Nights

www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com

Nightgore
03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
We've been using 3Ds Max to pre-render our haunts before a single nail is hammered. It really helps to previsualize things and solve any potential problems we may encounter.

Check out this video I uploaded... it's just a rotating overhead of one of our attractions.

e1TTnhVur3k

It's not done either... we've made a few more adjustments to it and it's really been a HUGE help to us!

I've also added some pics of the work up close... I'm excited to see what Universal has in their seminar; I'm sure it's going to be PACKED with a TON of good info. We chose to NOT use SketchUp for a few reasons, one mainly being it doesn't allow us to do everything we need it do to. But one plus it has is that the basic version is free... so that's awesome! Hahahaha... -Tyler

Motograter
03-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Have any of you heard of Google SketchUp? It's a free program provided by Google that allows you to make 3D models of pretty much anything you can think of. I just recently started using it to map out my haunt for this year and it's amazing to work with! It's really simple, and you can do most anything! I figured I'd tell you about it because it could prove to be really useful to planning and building haunts.

You can get a free download of the program at http://sketchup.google.com/
:).

Hey nice find Zach...I just finished downloading the program and I have started designing simple floor plans.

nzanesmith
03-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Ive been using it for a few months now designing our attraction at the fair this year. Its a great planning, design and presentation tool.

Front Yard Fright
03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info Ben, hopefully I'll be able to check that out at TW. I can only image what amazing stuff they make!

And thanks for sharing Tyler, you're haunt is going to be wicked!

Just thought I'd pass along some good information and talk haunt for once here on the forums.
:p.

nightowl455
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Ben,

I have been using this program to design haunts for about 4 years. I have shown it off to a few people in the last two years at conventions with lots of interest. So last year I decided to teach a class this year on Google Sketchup. I got married on the weekend of Transworld (bad planning) and recently found out about the horror nights class. I was kind of shocked! I had already designed my class and contacted Hauntcon when I found out about it.

I will be teaching a basic class on Google Sketchup 7 at Hauntcon this year (2009) and maybe if there is enough interest afterwards, then I will develope an advanced class. I love this program and have design so many different things in this program!

Did you or anyone else go to the Transworld class? I am anxious to hear a review and hear what they talked about in their class.

Jared

danglin
04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
I paid for and took the seminar at TW, however I was disappointed. The presenter had technical difficulties, and he could not show much of his slide show. For most seminars, this wouldn't be that much of a problem, but when someone is trying to show you how to use a design program, it's a different story. That was the only seminar out of the 6 that I paid for where I actually felt ripped off. However, the lecturer was very apologetic. He and the TW IT person worked on his computer for 30 minutes of the 60 minute seminar.

I was hoping to go to Hauntcon to take this class, since the one at TW didn't go so well, but my schedule isn't going to accomodate it. I have been playing with the free SketchUp download, and for me, it is taking some getting used to. The tutorial videos are great. I watched the first 5, and have started using it to do my layout. I think it will be a great tool, but I was really looking forward to watching someone who knows the program inside and out show me some tricks and shortcuts specifically for what we haunters are trying to use it for.

RJ Productions
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Ben or NightOwl...

how about an article in Hauntworld on Sketch Up??? I am sure those with experience would have a few tips more relavent to the Haunt Industry than we can get off the tutorials???

nightowl455
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Danglin,

Well, I'm sorry that the class didn't go well for you or the presenter. I hope mine is more successful! I'm even more sorry that you can't go to the class I'm going to teach. As I said, I am seriously considering an advanced class if the beginner's class goes well at Hauntcon.

If you need help feel free to ask, I will try to give you some tips. I really love the videos on Youtube. They are how I learned a lot of the little tricks that are hard to pick up on your own. There is one guy on there that I think does a real good job of walking you through the program.

RJ,
That's not a bad idea. Maybe after Hauntcon I will look into that. I've never written a magazine article before...that could be kind of hard based on how a computer program works. Are you the one that puts out Hauntworld or who am I looking for if I decide to do it?

Anyone,
What are your various experiences in using the program to get approvals or transfers to a CAD program for an architect? I am interested to see if anyone has any good/bad stories. My fire marshal and building inspector were fine with it the second year. I don't think they would have let us slide with it our first year. They were overly demanding. $5,000 just for an architect design! I won't go on...we all have our stories. >:(

drfrightner
04-21-2009, 11:47 PM
I would love to see an article on it... great idea Rich!

Larry

tchaunt
04-22-2009, 04:44 AM
I actually use this program tp design my props. You can change the style that your models are measured in a then change it to wireframe (keeps the lines but doesn't show the walls) and it makes for an easy blue-print creator. Of course, after printing out the model, I have to use the measuring tool to get the precise measures of each part.

rwrussom
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
This is an easy transfer for many architects. The CAd system I use imports Sketchup directly from the native file.

nightowl455
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Jon-Kyle Bailey,
Have you tried to use the layers feature and the dimension measuring tool? The layers feature will let you put your measurement on a seperate layer that you can turn on/off for viewing purposes. Go to 'windows > layers.' If you need more help with this let me know.

To show the measurement on your diagram, go to 'View > toolbars > construction.' This will open up the construction tool pallet on the side of your screen. Then click on the icon that has the number 3 and a little goal post looking thing under it. This is the dimension tool. If you then click on the endpoints of your lines, it will give you the exact measurement on your screen and visible during printing. If it is too close to your object just click and hold on the measurement bar and pull it out away from your object. I hope this helps you save some time.

rwrussom,
Thanks for giving me a true opinion about CAD importing. They say you can, but until I hear someone that actually has done it, I'm skeptical. That makes me very happy to hear!