PDA

View Full Version : CREATIVE and ORIGINAL SCENES

badlander2000
03-19-2006, 02:14 PM
:idea: I am the new member and I am shocked that there aren't more topics in this section that is why im starting my own!

ScarlettP
03-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Ditto Badlander.

AS for your poll question, I voted NO. Many of the gags described in that book are still viable. Many of the promotional ideas are getting outdated. Empiressnightshade already found out that getting a PSA is a lot harder than just calling up your local Radio Station and asking for one. Most cities also have strict guidlines on selling food for extra revenue.

"How to Run..." is STILL the best known book for haunters out there, and I still suggest that everyone have a copy or at least read through it. But there are better ones available now. Kel Allen - who posts here - has a very good one. As for building projects, there are LOTS of websites out there that will tell you how to build bigger and better props on a budget.

mindtumor
03-21-2006, 07:17 AM
I have three hauntworld DVD's and those have some good scare ideas in them. I have found that some of our best scares are stuff we came up with on the fly the first weekend.

badlander2000
04-01-2006, 06:00 PM
:shock: I never thought anybody would make any more replies in this section because last time I was on everybody was flocking around the professional haunting section. But now the home haunting is growing under my section. I really want more replies because I think we actually need to talk about the design of our haunts. :!:

Jim Warfield
04-22-2006, 11:21 PM
You have to design your place anticipating the clumsiest, stupidest , drunken person might get inside, then hope that he doesn't.
Of course if I could design fool-proof things I would be making big money designing nuke plants and cars.(Or like when I was a kid nuke-powered cars! Everyone was going to have one by 196-? The Walt Disney coloring book said so, I think?)

slash
05-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Even though it's outdated, it's actually one of the better books out there.

MidnightEvil
05-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Two other books you might want to check out are

Haunted House Halloween Handbook by Jerry Chavez

The Complete Haunted House Book By Tim Harkleroad

badlander2000
05-11-2006, 05:17 PM
:twisted: We should be talking about scenes not books :twisted:

AcoreMANNER
06-15-2006, 10:48 AM
I was thinking of an Indian theme. By Indian I mean tomahawk waving, scalp scraping savages. I picture a variety of lead up scenes like forests, meadows, messed up Indian villages, etc. I see bloody war scenes of rival Indian tribes, evil medicine men, arrows flying past peoples ears, and the psychadelic rattles of venomous snakes all around

Also, I was thinking a narrow really tall hallway with no cieling would look neat...allowing people to look up and out at the night sky may make a forest or dungeon scene even more realistic.

As for books - I like the ones mentioned. The books touch on a lot of stuff, and can yield many ideas for those willing to meet the books half way. A lot of ideas/ illusions/gags I found in a couple of my books (The Complete Haunted House Book- Tim Harkleroad, Give Them a Real Scare this Halloween- Pfeiffer) are painfully corny.....but by turning those ideas upside down and improvising a little...those books can still be like gold. Especially the book by Tim Harkleroad......its got a lot of scene ideas.

drfrightner
06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Who wrote the book you're talking about?

Larry

AcoreMANNER
06-21-2006, 06:23 PM
"GIVE THEM A REAL SCARE THIS HALLOWEEN" - a guide to scaring trick-or-treaters and haunting your house, yard or party
written and illustrated by JOSEPH PFEIFFER

"THE COMPLETE HAUNTED HOUSE BOOK"
written and illustrated by TIM HARKLEROAD

those are the two books i mentioned in my last post.

I also have this really killer book on animatronics. its easy to understand

Its called..... "ANIMATRONICS" - a guide to animated holiday displays
by Edwin Wise

badlander2000
07-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I love the indian idea but the only thing you can't do is the arrows.

AcoreMANNER
07-13-2006, 12:20 AM
I was thinking of another cool scene that could take up a few hallways and turns where people walk underneathe cages with monsters/prisoners/aliens. It's totally do-able. Obviously just make sure the cages your actors will be scaring from are structurally fit. Since your actors will be up there, they'll have access to things like fog machine buttons, light switches, cd players, etc. for better timing and all. Plus people never expect to be scared from above.

AcoreMANNER
07-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Wouldn't it be rad to have your very first hallway that guests enter into be a hallway of doors.....and only 1 door is unlocked. Maybe you could even put phrases on each of the doors like "brainwars", "unlived and weeded out", "hollow chest", "reality" and the one that opens might say "imagination". That could be the theme to a haunted house....IMAGINE , where trick or treators take a trip through the imagination of someone in the last few minutes of their life....then you could put anything you want in your haunted house (clowns, aliens, gory stuff, whatever) and it would fit the theme and make sense.

Accipiter
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't it be rad to have your very first hallway that guests enter into be a hallway of doors.....and only 1 door is unlocked.

You'd have to have some way to keep it from becoming a throughput killer. Maybe have an actor that stands still until they clearly can't find the right door then silently points them to the unlocked one.

Nightmaretony
07-13-2006, 09:11 PM
The JBCorn books are excellent for construction, maintainence and operation, but very little in the way of scare ideas.

07-16-2006, 06:04 PM
:P I think you should put an actor in a home-made electric chair and have him combulse, and thrash around. You could also have a strobe-light on him to add to the effet. Then the lights go off and the "Halloween" movie theme music starts playing loudly while the lights go red and fog comes from all directions. Then an actor weilding a bloody chainsaw chases them into a graveyard where zombies roam around and Micael Myers is chopping up a victim with an axe. :twisted:

AcoreMANNER
07-16-2006, 11:27 PM
michael myers is the man

I think theres a lesson to be learned from him...his subtle movements and blank stares are what give us goose bumps, and not so much some extravagant scenario...although Mike definately brings the heat :twisted:
We can apply this scaring method to our own when planning our haunts...just remember less is sometimes more...and its cheaper too.

badlander2000
07-20-2006, 08:24 PM
One of the main reasons for this topic is to not use Michael Myers because it is about outdoor haunts which is what I think nobody has picked up yet and Michael Myers is really bad outdoors. :lol:

Djcarolina
08-13-2006, 02:38 AM
I perfer not to have common characters like Michael Meyers, Jason Vorhees, Freedy Kreuger Etc in my haunt. I read an article somewhere on the internet (sry cant remember where) and totally agree with it. It stated that people get a sense of comfort from things that ae familiar. Although Halloween, Friday The 13th, Nightmare etc. represent horror and death, they have become familiar in many american households and people can relate them to being "just a movie", thus taking the fear out. I like using my own horrific creations, like they say the mind is a terrible thing to waste. Which brings me back on topic. This years theme for us is "Carn-Evil" Yes a common name but thats just the theme not the name of the attraction. Our scares will play off of ones mind rather than the fear of seeing something scary. With the exception of the graveyard, a classic and staple for any haunt, all of our rooms are very dark and use camoflague as a means of scaring. One room is a now-popular theme called the "Dot Room" Many Are Familiar, if not and you want to know more then just PM me and i'll explain. The next is one with a "mask wall" where we have 20 identical masks pinned to a wall and a live actor wearing another identical mask and in all black. The actors will not scare till the last moment in order to let the minds of guests wander "when will they get me". Next is a forest scene where the mad side-show freaks hav escaped to. One, named gorilla man blends right into the brush. Finally, something new to me and an idea i created is the stripes chamber. Pitch black at first then slowly UV spotlights come on to reveal multi colored striped walls, the stripes being new fluorescent duck tape. An actor finishes the guests off as they near the end of the hallway by jumping from his wall blended location and chasing patrons with a rattle can.

Lostsheep
08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I like all that Djcarolina.... :wink:

Xeverity
08-25-2006, 06:40 AM
I voted no as well. Still some really useful stuff in there. However I voted no for reasons already stated... better books, getting dated, promotion is way behind and the rules on selling food are much stricter now.

Plus a lot of it isn't applicable depending on where you live.

slash
08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Larry, Phillip Morris wrote the book, "How to Operate a Financially Succesfull Haunted House"

badlander2000
08-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Who are you talking to Slash?

Jim Warfield
08-26-2006, 12:51 AM
I have put sayings all over the maze doors in my backyard.
One mystical phrase turned out to be an engineering term on hydralics, for figuring ratios of something?
(Just numbers that popped into my head..maybe they fell out of someone else's head?)
"Fresh Mother-in-Laws Do Not Open"
"The Brown Door of the backward traveller" (You see this if you are going the wrong way.)
"The Illinois Tripe Council-Toys you can make from Tripe"
"Animal Bite Research-Come right In If You Are Bleeding"
"Commando Bambi"

So it goes.........Stopping to read can slow down your through put but it can also help to distract the customer so you can scare them again.

badlander2000
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I am sorry to anyone I may have offended or even confused over the last 2 years but through 3 years of haunting experiences and education I have learned the error of my ways and will no longer be the naive,rude b****** I was in my early haunting days and become a much more active contributor after my long hiatus of a little more than a year.

shawnc
03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Something that happens with most websites that have polls is that anytime someone votes on one it brings the thread to the top of the list of "New" posts, which is how I and many others check mesasage boards. I suppose a topic never really dies or loses interest but it is strange to see something from years ago pop up all of a sudden and then find no new posts at the end. Or maybe it's just the web ghosts playing tricks on me.

Feargore
04-26-2008, 12:18 PM
i luv how to oporatrte a finacially succesfull haunt!!! i m using it to go pro and rewcomend it 2 all haunters!

-Taylor

hoffie08
09-23-2009, 06:23 AM
i just built a bloody hallway that is going to have michle myers in hit.

scarygoat
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
We've designed a wide hall with bloody flaps of plastic handing down randomly. You won't know what is ahead because of all the flaps in your way. Meanwhile a chainsaw wielding maniac wearing a creepy bunny mask will be chasing you through it.

Jim Warfield
09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Built a WW2 German Pz. Mrk. 4 tank inside their house?
I had to have something to park the half-naked Nazi babes on (too many female manniquins I guess?)
I like the surprise when people walk around the corner and see this on the second floor of a house!
I guessed what people would do, they tap on the closest tank fender to see if the whole thing is real. So I made THAT fender out of steel! (Fools many people!)
I simply scaled up a 1/35 scale plastic model Panzer 4 out of plywood.
People might just be coming here to actually see something different?
"Different" is The Ravens Grin.

badlander2000
10-06-2009, 12:40 AM
I love the sense of humor Hoffie and Jake, I love the bunny...AWESOME!!