PDA

View Full Version : Transworld Show 2010 ... Your opinions

drfrightner
03-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Now you've experienced a HAUNT ONLY show broke off from the retal show... which way is better for your business?

Should the show stay on its own and pull in more retail vendors or fold it back into a retail show? Did you like the fact that it was just haunters without retailers?

Secondly, do you think the show should start on a Thursday rather than a Friday to get more order writing days?

My view:

Start the show on Thursday and end the show on Sunday at NOON! Haunters have shown year after year that they leave on Sunday so start the show on Thursday and end it on Sunday at NOON!

Keep the shows seperate... there was a bunch of retail vendors walking the floor and all saying they would exhibit next year! Let the haunt show take off and grow, learn from its mistakes and correct them, add to, enhance, blah, blah.

DO NOT re-co-locate with retail.

Larry

mindtumor
03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't care if the recombine it or not. If they do recombine don't segregate us like before. I thought there were more haunt vendors this year and I enjoyed that. I hope they make an effort to grow it more and add even more vendors next year. I thought it was hard to actually place a few orders this year and therefore didn't get to order a couple of things I wanted. Lots of people in the way. My only real complaint was that lady painting her breasts and walking around again. I had hoped I had seen the last of that in Vegas.

graystone
03-31-2009, 04:18 PM
I loved the show and said that. But I still stand behind what I have said before and from the start! I would love to see both shows back together the bigger the better!!!!! Jared brother you and me too. Its one thing to see a good looking chick with nice hooters or even a ugly chick with nice hooters hell I will take a nice looking girl with small hooters! But there is no way in Hell I want to see an ugly chick with ugly hooters!!!! Shane and its Amen Brother Shane this time!

mindtumor
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I loved the show and said that. But I still stand behind what I have said before and from the start! I would love to see both shows back together the bigger the better!!!!! Jared brother you and me too. Its one thing to see a good looking chick with nice hooters or even a ugly chick with nice hooters hell I will take a nice looking girl with small hooters! But there is no way in Hell I want to see an ugly chick with ugly hooters!!!! Shane and its Amen Brother Shane this time!

No joke. I couldn't believe it was the same lady again. Almost ruined my day.

imax
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Really, really, really missed the costume vendors. Gore Galore and a lot of the specialty costumers were there, but we still have huge demand for the regular character costumes - and no one to fill the void. Oh well, maybe next year. Everything else seemed right on, though.

maliciousstudios
03-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I decided not to go to Saint Louis, ( Stayed home worked in the shop - insulated and rewired for 220 service ) ---> economy is going to hell and gotta think of spending less for heat - air conditioning...

SO,

how was Saint Louis compared to Chicago ?? Better / Worse ??

Im very curious.... I loved the idea of going to Saint Louis... when we disscussed it I was excited to see the arch in person but chose to get stuff done in the shop instead.

I guess thats my opinion.... its based upon everyones opinion ( Since I wasnt there ) I loved it in Chicago, but I could love it in Saint Louis too.

As far as the retail show, I for one had always enjoyed seeing all there was to offer. The models in skimpy clothes helped too !! ( LMFAO )

Dr. Haunt Chamber of Fear
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
This year I was able to go through the entire exhibit hall and check out al products/services in 5 hours. My crew did the entire tradeshow floor in 4 hours. The evening events: Thursday tour; Friday Columbia haunts; and Saturday Haunts were enjoyable and would like to see as many haunted houses within a 2-3 hours radius as possible.

To attend Transworld and get the biggest bang for the buck, would like to see the retail suppliers again. Previously when attended the combined show in Chicago it took two 8-hour days to see everything and thus was worth sticking around for three to four days. In addition, save on my expenses since I could purchase gift shop items at the same show. Most haunted houses that I know of have a gift shop and can average $2 per every customer but we do not have massive halloween stores so it is hard to justify attending a sepearet retail store. It appears in Saint Louis there would be enough exhibit hall space to bring the shows back together again.

Motograter
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
I guess it wouldn't matter if the retail people came back. I'm not interested in what they sell but I know other haunters do. I really enjoyed seeing all the haunt vendors all together. I had an excellent time, better than vegas!! I think Transworld should start on Thursday and end at noon on Sunday like larry said. I didn't have time to attend the Sunday show this year because I had to check-out of the Hotel and head back home at noon. If at all possible, I would like to see Transworld stay in March! Febuary is way to cold in my book, I can deal with March weather. My 2 cents

Jim Warfield
03-31-2009, 07:21 PM
I think the only way the Haunt Show and the Halloween show should be scheduled together is if they have a nude female roller-derby going on in the middle to mark out the seperate territorys, just like previous Rosemonts did, right Dirk?
(The girls should be older than 15 though)

maliciousstudios
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Lets Be Specific.... any girls or good looking young 18 - 40 year old girls...?? If yer gonna dream be specific....MAN !

zimmerman
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Start on Thursday and end at Noon Sunday would be great!

FrightProps
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
- I wouldn't want to see the days increased... 3 full days was enough.
Yes, it was slow on Sunday but the first two days made up for that with insane traffic. I also liked the schedule Fri to Sun.

- I wouldn't want to see the two shows combined. I'd like to see the Haunt show increased in size and scope. TW now knows that they can make money off of a stand-alone show and will be focusing their attention on it. If they are combined again then our side will loose focus again.
Plus, having a retail show and a wholesale show right next to each other is confusing and not fair to vendors on both sides.

- I liked the city. St. Louis was a good city for us. The hotel being right across the street was awesome and the venue was very nice and a perfect size with room to grow into. There will need to be some changes of course (like better food court staff!)

- As a vendor it was easy to get in/out for setup/strike and the union guys were great people.

It worked... let's enhance it and move forward not backwards.

DollFacexHorror
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I really enjoyed the show in St louis compared to Chicago for the main reason that there was alot of things that were closer to the convention center. And the walk right across the street from the Renaissance was very convenient. It would have been nicer to see things spread out a little more next year especially if the retail is not go8ing to be added on. I wouldn't mind having retail there or some more makeup focused vendors. I remeber the retail area from chicago and enjoyed the better selection of makeup for purchase. :)
________
List of Ferrari engines specifications (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/List_of_Ferrari_engines)

Nightgore
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I personally would not want to see the retail side added to the show. We have our own show now, we're a REAL industry, and can survive on our own.

HOWEVER... I would like to see more make-up and effects vendors at the show. I'd also like to see Autograph Foliage at the show... I don't know if they ever attend shows, but it'd be NICE to place our plant order at the show! -Tyler

VIC
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought it was pretty good. It took us two days to get through it because we stopped and talked to alot of venders. We had to rush Sunday to order and ran out of time because we had to catch our plane. So I am saying I would like to see it start on Thursday. As far as combining it with the retail I could go either way but I say let them come to us.

Killer Katie
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM
I liked the show, pleasantly surprised!
I would like to see some retail that combines naturally with the haunt industry, like more costuming, and definatley more make up and SPFX.
I do agree about the time it took to go through the show. I could see everything 2 - 3 times in one day. So hopefully, vendors will see this success and fill that baby to capacity!
As for St louis, there was a variety of food places to go, alot to see in walking distance!
The bar, though, didn't have any real atmosphere. In Chicago, there was music and dancing, which really got people moving around. I missed that!

stafford
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
I've been one for both shows combined again, but not at the gain of the retail show, which is what it would be now.

Leave the show where it is, if retail vendors want to come great.

Start the show on Thursday, end on Saturday, or Sunday early, would be nice to have Sunday to unwind a bit, tie up loose ends, vendors and buyers could meet off the show floor if needed, and head home.

The show was successful, it will grow, more vendors will hear it went well, and will be there next year, whereas, as I've said, unless Rubies and TW patch things up the TW retail show looks dead.

I wouldn't mind seeing the show in a city for 2-3 years, then in another for 2-3 years, similar to what IAAPA does.

Do not let them move this show back to Rosemont in 2011, speak up now, I say if they do that then we should find a different show producer (industry owned show, hmmm), but then we may end up in a TW/Rubies type situation which would suck. Bottom line, don't let them tell us what they're doing, we're in the drivers seat, we need to tell them what we want, right now.

Chris

Allen H
03-31-2009, 11:14 PM
I loved the atmosphere of the haunt only show, I did miss a few vendors, but I honestly never bought their products. They are not durable enough for haunt work and the masks that are massed produced over seas are often not fit for wearing. Thin pulls, crummy hair work, and poor vision plague their products.
I also loved seeing more folks in costume, its our show and that is part of what we do.
I was thrilled with the bar's atmosphere each night I went to a full table of folks I did not know and sat and we talked shop, I learned alot each night and I hope sharing what I know helped them out. I was proud of our show and the turnout it had, it will only grow.
Allen H

brad
03-31-2009, 11:18 PM
I personally wouldnt mind seeing the shows combined again, for my ordering sake, but at the same time, I dont mind them being seperate again. I like St. Louis, and I wanna keep going there. Im not looking forward to dealing with the weather in Chicago again anytime soon.

damon carson
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I really enjoyed the show as well. I dont care if the retail side comes back or not. This is our show now! I would like to see Midnight Syndicate, maybe Morbid and few other retailers at the show. I would like to see a few larger booths from Bucky Bones and Gag Studios and Cinema Secrets hopefully. I would like to see more makeup and effect companys. Im looking forward to next year already. It can only get better folks! This is a very promising start and new direction for The Haunt and Attractions Show.
Damon

Boni
03-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I was unable to make the show, but I would think that a retail vendor that had done well with the Haunt Owners in a combined show, would be smart to exhibit at the Haunt Only show.

It might be wise to stay seperate for a year or two to see if the right retail vendors start showing up. Then you would have the best of both worlds, haunt products with a few retail products. You would not have to wade through tons of retail that does not apply to the haunt industry.

drfrightner
04-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Interesting comments...

I know TW is planning NOW. So your views and your opinions are very much needed and valued. Its interesting to see peoples opinions do a 180 now that they have experienced a haunt only show.

Many retail vendors did in fact buy booths like Cinema Secrets, Morris and Dillion Importing. I know other companies like Fun World, and others attended the show and said they will exhibit next year. They did manage to get one inflatable company oddly enough the biggest one to attend and they did well so more inflatables could be in the works next year.

So the show is going to grow for sure...

With that said here is my view...

After reading what Doug said I would say if you don't make the show 3 and a half days then do Thursday through Saturday because Sunday is totally worthless totally. It always has been because haunters leave on Sundays.

Hundreds and I mean hundreds of haunters came into the show on Wed and Thursday and will still leave on Sunday. Change the days the show is open.

Now for those who want to combine the shows again consider this... Transworld is hosting their retail show in JANUARY. Can you imagine how cold it will be? January will be hard on our vendors to make new products.

I think the shows should say apart, those who want to go retail go to Chicago this January and do haunting in March.

I also think this...

With the retail show and haunt show like 2 months apart it will be easier for retail vendors to make the show to exhibit. It was hard this year because retail and haunt was like 2 weeks apart.

Larry

JamBam
04-01-2009, 09:26 AM
The show was great. I never doubted the haunt only would not be good.

The hotel across the street was great. They need some help to make it the center of gathering of all. They could make some money if they tried. The good comments about the unions shows that the issue is Chicago's (big city).

I hope TW stays away from Chicago and reconsiders the combining. The retail show should be on its own. I would think that the advisory committee would help TW get some of those retail/wholesale vendors to do the haunt only show so the haunts with retail coud buy there. That could work if there was some research done on that by TW.

Now, if St Louis is not for 2011, then where should they go if we convince them not to return to Chicago. The new standard has been set with a nice city, close hotel, good convention center, better prices all around, and more.

My vote is Indy, Louisville, or Nashville.

Ken Spriggs
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
LARRY!!!!.....Enough about the weather
I will have my bear skin coat done by winter....so I will be warm anywhere!!!!
I listened to all of you saying.....OH ST LOUIS IS THIS AND THAT

The town is a ghost town.......it was cold IN MARCH?
People walking the streets being warned about shootings just days before the convention?
Burned out buildings EVERYWHERE? Vacant....graffitti....hmmmm were we in St louis or Detroit?
I guess the economy is effecting everything huh?

I used to love St Louis.....what happened to it?

Everyone is saying ..... the hotel being across the street is a good thing.....gee what was across the street in Rosemont? Yep....hotels
And if you book the hotels early enough.....you can get them for under $80 a night...yes in rosemont.

Now Shane showed everyone about the ren deal.....but it didn't last.....I know people ended up 3 miles away and they did the same thing everyone else did.

The hotels were not a savings.....the booths were not really a whole lot cheaper
You want to add days to the show.......If I didn't have to spend for 3-4 hotel rooms I would like it too!

Larry? Do you plan on opening again?
You can deny this all you want........it puts money in your pocket!!!

FrightProps
04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes, the hotels were "right across" the street in Rosemont but it took 20+ minutes to get to them through the BS tunnel system! And crossing the street was cold and dangerous and a long walk from the show floor to the room.

I have been to countless cities. Comparing the two, Rosemont just has a bad vibe and is cold and damp. St. Louis had a good feel to it for me. Yes, there are certainly parts that look like they had a bomb dropped on them but I only had to drive past those parts, I did not have to go into them. Downtown around the convention was very pleasant and nice. I walked several blocks in all directions and never had any problems. I liked the people and restaurants.

I hope that I never again have to go back to Rosemont. I do like Chicago a lot... but Rosemont is not Chicago. And I LOVE Dream Reapers... the best acting in any haunt I have been to. Any chance of moving that to St. Louis? Nawww... I didn't think so :)

Doug.

MMManiac
04-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I agree with ken. I am NOT for moving the show to Chicago even though it would be close to me, but at the same time didn't look like the weather in St. Louis was much better... How about (here comes the can of worms) ORLANDO. Warm year round, CHEAP year round, LOTS to do year round. And please don't say its not an option because TW wont go their.. They will go where ever we tell them to go.

All right the bullet proof vest is on. Shoot away! :)

drfrightner
04-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Ken,

Let me see if I can keep this short... yes we will open again. We will focus on trying to open the Darkness like if we were in the middle of October, with a tweaked show, seasoned, trained actors, ready to make people scream. We won't do much of any major modifications, I will wait until after the show to do that.

Between building the building, building two new attractions, all that new safety stuff, sidewalks, windows, reovating the darkness, and all that stuff I damn near burned through every dollar I have to my name. I am calling like a madman trying to secure some jobs for HPI/BLA right now because this tour was heavy on the funds.

I will NOT try to do that level of renovation ever again not in FOUR months... it almost killed us. We'll make sure we freshen up everything but that is where we'll stop.

We'll do something simple on one night. Larry

tkaska
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Ok, I'll wade into this as a newbie!
It was our first show to attend. We'd heard lots of stories of the "old days" We had been told that the haunt industry is very clique-ish and unaccepting of "outsiders" or new people. But, we made our minds up to go and learn; to hopefully meet some of the folks we admire.....

Do you know that not only did we find it to be one of the best conferences we've ever been to, but EVERYONE we met and visited with was absolutely WONDERFUL?! You guys really don't give each other enough credit. Larry, The Darkness was incredible. I would gladly stand in the rain and cold again. I'm not going to look back someday when I'm old and regret that experience.

We bought a few things, too. It's great to see up close and personal the things that you've only dreamed about incorporating into your haunt -- and to meet the brilliant artist(s) behind that magic.

There were a bunch of us (corn maze owners) who timidly attended -- not sure what to expect. Thanks so much for including us, for welcoming us and respecting what we do as an industry. We are, and will continue to be, in awe of the haunt industry, it's vendors and all that you represent to fledgings like ourselves.

toni

spookhaven
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I agree the show should open on Thursday until noon Sunday. Back to March and as for the city, we will go anywhere unless we have a bad experience. It wasn't the best of weather who can prodict the weather.

I was a bit disappointed that a few vendors we wanted to place orders with were not attending like Screamline, Smooth On, Minispot lights just to name a few. I know Unit 70's stuff is suppose to be awesome and we actually got a chance to see some of their work in Larry's haunt. They really need to attend the show.

I think we just really need to encourage some of these companies to exhibit at this haunt show. Mr. Morris walked up and introduced himself to me for no other reason but to say hello. I have to tell you guys you can buy from them just about a cheap as purchasing from the bigger companies and customer service is awesome.

I would also suggest a few other more detailed workshops like FX makeup, showing you how to do detailing to your set (Larry would be a great speaker for that), something in the actor line (more hands on). 4 hour classes and then off to the show. Maybe one a day.

Just my 2 cents.

graystone
04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
At this point if TransWorld can get the Ren Grand to offer the 70.00 dollar deal thats about what the 55.00 was with the fees that way everyone can hang at the hotel I will say keep it there. Yes Larry you read me right! I will admit I thought the area looked bad with all the empty store fronts. Hell some was just scary to look at no wonder Larry likes his haunt in St. Louis lol! NOW LET ME SAY THIS I SAY KEEP IT THERE FOR 2010!

NOW LETS MOVE TO 2011 I say find a new host town and an area where we can see more haunts within a 2-3 hour drive. Nashville is a great place lots of haunts within a 2-3 hour drive hotels are cheap and why not see if we could not get the Operyland Hotel which is the largest hotel in the country! Either way lets find a new host town where we can see other haunts so some of these other haunt owners can showcase and cash in! I am open for any town as long as we can see more haunts! Shane and its Loaded Up & Truckin! Shane this time!!!

N2SPOOKINU
04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I like that idea Shane. keep it in a host city for two years and move to another city as long as the new city is offering deals on hotels and convention booth prices are reasonable. I love to see other haunts and I have had my chance to show Fearfest so if another haunt in Mo. or another state wants to show off their haunt this would be a perfect way to do it. I loved the convention in St.Louis and it was a great show but the opportunity to see other haunts is inviting.
Greg
Fearfest

spookologist
04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Compared to Las Vegas and Chicago, we loved the St Louis location. I wasn't sure what to expect but overall it had a nice feel and was very convenient (until we missed our connecting flight in Chicago).

As others mentioned, I would also like to see it moved every two years from city to city just as long as its convenient for the vendors.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10-2:00 would be good, the extra time would allow us to finish up some last minute ordering and attend seminars. (We did not even get a chance to see many vendor booths due to lack of time) I have a feeling that in a year or two this show is going to be a lot bigger.

I think we should stay separate from the retail show and if they (the retailers) choose to attend our show that would be fine. I like the January/March separation of the 2 shows.

It was great meeting many of you.

Wayne

www.trailofterror.com
gallery.trailofterror.com

Brandon_K
04-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Seeing as how this is my first Transworld (I'm usually in the UP of Michigan snowmobiling), my opinions may not be the most valuable, but I'll toss them out anyhow.

Close the show earlier, noon Sunday sounds like a nice time. I talked to a few vendors who said that it was just dead on Sunday, the only business they got was cash & carry that would happen regardless of when the show closes. As a buyer, it sucks for us that the show closes so late. We bought a number of demo items (Mike Fox's Ghost Busts for example) and we couldn't leave until he was shut down. We ended up not getting home until 2pm Monday and incured another hotel bill (only drove halfway through) when we could have been home late Sunday, no extra night, etc if the show closed earlier.

As far as opening on Thursday.. meh, I don't know. Do you really NEED 3 days to do a show? Sorry, this isn't Comdex, the show just isn't THAT big. It gave us plenty of time to network though. That all being said, I didn't take any seminars, nothing there floated my boat, so that may have something to do with it.

No offense to anyone that calls St Louis home, but the city sucks, sorry. It seemed like it was a hole in the wall or a $80/plate resturant, didn't seem like a whole lot of in between. I'm an easy going guy, give me a freaking Fridays or something. The nightlife was a huge disappointment, thank god for the CV party! And do you know what it takes to find a liquor store on a Saturday evening, without getting shot?

I vote for moving the show every 2 years. Larry, of course you're against it, you live there, we understand that. I like to travel, I like to see different cities, I like to party in different cities. I have friends that I still talk to today from trade shows in other cities (non-haunt), it's nice to move around and see some new things.

The hotel was nice, no complaints there. The weather could have been nicer.

Regardless of all of the negatives, it's f'ing Transworld, how can you not have a good time?

Grimley
04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
South WARMMMMMMMMMMM

The Parker House
04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
My Vote for 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DALLAS TX

All you need is in the Big D baby!

Marc

Darkangel
04-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Dallas would be great, or anywhere in the South. Also, what about the east coast for a change? With so many haunts around it offers many options up and down the coast.

Darkangel

Grimley
04-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Dallas would be cool. It was 75 degrees here.

Barry
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I really have not composed my thoughts into a cohesive post so let me bullet point some things good and bad:

1. St. Louis overall was very nice. It was my first time there. The parking garages were strange though. Restaurants were good. I wish I could have visited Laclede's Landing during nicer weather. I did see a cool looking oyster bar down by the stadium that I want to visit next time.

2. Transworld put on a very good show and I congratulated Jen when I talked to her today. I was very happy to see the TW management have a very high visibility during the show. I think that type of customer service is invaluable.

3. Ren was a nice place (we stayed at the Hyatt) but it is not the Crowne. I don't think there will ever be another Crowne. The Ren is not nearly big enough and the atmosphere was not anywhere close...

trahancj
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
The general agreement among my crew (Nightmare on 19th Street) was that the show was ok. This was our third Transworld. There were enough haunt vendors in St. Louis to keep my crew entertained for a day or so, which I thought was a pretty good turn-out. I too would like to see retail there, however. Usually, most of my large purchases are made well before Transworld, so we go for the community and to see whatever haunted houses the tours allow (since we do not get to see them during the season). The favorite so far was Dreamreapers in Chicago, by a long shot. Last year in Vegas was a pretty bad tour (so bad, I forgot the name ... trailer haunts??). While we were pretty impressed with the visuals in the Darkness, the acting left us wanting and the big question of the weekend was ... why was the ticket price doubled?

St. Louis was not a bad location ... a bit warmer than Chicago. Dallas would be better!!!!

Nightgore
04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Louisville?

Just a hair more south than St. Louis... PLENTY of haunts... cheaper all around... great convention center with LOTS to do... and closer to all major vendors!

My vote... Louisville, KY. -Tyler

poison
04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I really liked Saint Louis myself. Even though VEGAS was close enough to drive for me.
The Hotel across the street is a HUGE bonus! When your done setting up your booth and being on your feet all day it was so great to just walk across the street and have a beer and take a load off! Simple, convenient.
Just easy all around. And the fact that we had a GENERAL meeting place in the HOTEL BAR AREA was great too. It was easy to meet new people.
So unless there is another Convention Center that has a Hotel and meeting place that close my vote is for Saint Louis.

Nicole
04-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Here's my 2 cents on TW in St. Louis:

- Service at badge check-in was fast and friendly
- New vendors there were the biggest +, want to see the show expand (not by consolidating retail side in again).

DISLIKES

- The Princess Leia reject (exposed breast woman), want to see NONE of that.
- Food court was extremely too small/not equipped to handle crowds booked at convention center (at least on Saturday).

WISH LIST for "TW FUTURE"

- Would like to see expanded vendors/products relating to haunt, as well as smaller amusement/entertainment venue and agritainment industry.
- Would like to see more makeup, costume, special fx vendors
- Would like to see FREE demos by vendors (like they used to provide when haunt/retail was together)

OTHER

- Location: No city is perfect. Weather: We're from the area between Chicago/Milwaukee and joked the weather followed us. It's the midwest in early spring - weather is going to be unpredictable. We had to walk 2-3 blocks down Washington for a restaurants/bar district and harassed by 2 crackheads on 2 different occasions - not to mention harassment by Baptist Youth (no offense to Baptists). :)

- Hotel: We stayed at the Holiday Inn Select FOR FREE using Priority Club Points and we agreed WE WOULD NOT stay here again (even for FREE). Overall bad service, broken equipment, maid service came extremely late in the day, fire alarms going off at 2a.m. and continued to go off throughout the night. No thank you. We'll pay to stay across the street next time.

- Getting around - cabs are pretty cheap, but driving/getting around seemed harder and more of a hassle vs what we had in Rosemont.

I didn't mind St. Louis, but still preferred the atmosphere of Rosemont. Still can get a decent/quality hotel and a fair price, dining options close, easy to get around, and hotels across the street and/or attached to convention center. I can do with or without having the party retailers attached, but would PREFER to see the haunt industry continue to grow/develop it's own show - all around, that would be better for the industry. Put the show where it is a more viable option (economic factors?) to attract new vendors and grow the haunt show.

RJ Productions
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I see alot of pros and very little cons. This should make TW happy and hopefully observant. They need to address the requests of the vendors and participants to remain viable. A few points...

COMBINING: ... unless you own a costume shop, totally useless. Several have main comments on missing walking the rest of the show??? Sure the models at Legs Avenue are great, but really? Seductive costumes, kids costumes, foam retail props??? Nothing that a haunt needs. Costumes? There are very few of the costume vendors that have a minimum small enough for a haunter to order from. IF anything we need to combine with a show like Fun Expo. There are vendor that service FEC's that are more useful that me trying to justify a $1,000 minimum to get a foam tombtone! How about a self contained oven that you can provide your own food service and increase your bottom line several thousand dollars a season? How about a self contained cotton candy vending machine?? How about owning your own ATM machine and charging people $2.00 a transaction to get their own money to spend at your haunt???

TIME: ... January? NO WHERE north of the 40th parallel!! March? MUCH better choice no matter where you go!! You have to remember wether in general, not just at the host site. You can be in the Bahamas.. but if the participants are snowed in the OWN airport and can't leave, you still have a terrible attendance!

LENGHT: ... 3 days is tight, especially as the show grows. To everyone who does the show is 3 hours.... do you even stop and talk to ONE Vendor??? Sure anyone can run the show and grab catalogs, but ot actually stop and SEE the props, possible talk to the vendor, visiualize how you can utilize that vendor into your show, No way 3 hours!! What I didn't like was the seminars DURING the show!! TW needs to wise up. Hauntcon does it, it doesn't work! If you are a convention and the focus is the participants you have seminars and functions throughout the entire event. In that scenerio the vendor is just an add on, NOT the focus of the show. This is a TRADESHOW, the whole point is to see the VENDORS. Other functions are the add ons! Go back to having the seminars the day BEFORE the show. This is the first show that I didn't see one seminar! Not smart to pull participants OFF the trade show during the vendor's "face time". I actually saw a haunter talking to a vendor, he had returned twice to ask the vendor specific questions then looked at his watch and went.."S*%T!! I have to leave for my seminar!!"

LOCATION:... Hey I like Chicago! I used to live 2 miles away from the Rosemont!! I have brothers there, my daughter moved there, and they have Italian Beef!!! But January?? no way?? March??? still iffy! St. Louis was good. Hopefully they learn a few lessons beofre next year. I actually like the idea of roving. Couple years, move, couple years, move, find a real good spot...visit it again! Maybe like the Olympics....the host city has to bid on the show!! We know years in advance where to plan!!!

So in a a nutshell... put the seminars before the show, keep it warmer-maybe even rotate it, keep it seperate, work on attracting a variety of vendors. At least with it in St. Louis 2 years, maybe we'll get a chance to get to the top of the Arch NEXT year!!!

Nightgore
04-03-2009, 02:56 AM
^Agreed! If it were me... I would NOT move the show any more north than Columbus and any farther west than St. Louis! This keeps the show closer to the majority of top vendors, easier for them makes a better show! -Tyler

Monster-Tronics
04-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Adding more days to the show at this point would be a huge mistake. Every vendor that I spoke to liked the fact that this show is shorter than the Halloween show. All it would do is add more costs to everyone. It’s a no brainer that when you add more cost to the vendors, the price of their products go up.

The STL booth cost was a little lower not because STL is cheaper it was because it was less days. Each day adds more costs to the booth, likewise all other expenses, food, lodging, employee wages, truck rentals, etc… Our little booth had 5 people there so 5 times all of that $$$

Do you want the cost of the products to go up just so you can sleep in till noon?

Some simple math says that you could spend about 20 min’s with each and every vendor on the show floor if you came when the floor was open.

There were a lot of start up vendors there this time and history tells us that many of those will not be there next year.

Increase the show days when it makes sense to do so, not just so Larry can sell you more tours to his haunts! lol

What I didn't like was the seminars DURING the show!! TW needs to wise up. Hauntcon does it, it doesn't work! If you are a convention and the focus is the participants you have seminars and functions throughout the entire event. In that scenerio the vendor is just an add on, NOT the focus of the show. This is a TRADESHOW, the whole point is to see the VENDORS. Other functions are the add ons! Go back to having the seminars the day BEFORE the show. This is the first show that I didn't see one seminar! Not smart to pull participants OFF the trade show during the vendor's "face time". I actually saw a haunter talking to a vendor, he had returned twice to ask the vendor specific questions then looked at his watch and went.."S*%T!! I have to leave for my seminar!!"

I agree with Rich! The vendors asked TW not to have the seminars at the same time as the show hours or at least mix it up. This year at TW the show floor stayed pretty busy but like Rich said, HC & MHC vendors stand in an empty show floor while the seminars go on all day long, then there is an hour break in the seminars and you get flooded. I understand haunters love all of the extra stuff at theses shows but is TW going to be another convention??? I’d like to see the show floors go away at HC & MHC and make them fun and not dilute the buyers from TW, and keep TW a “Tradeshow”.

Most vendors can not afford the time and cost to show at all these ever growing conventions. SF only does one show – TW because they don’t have to do any others, Unit-70 does none because they get great business with-out doing any shows. We have all heard that some vendors spend from $5,000 to $60,000 (maybe more) at one show. Does anyone think that does not affect the cost of the products you buy???

The majority of the big haunt vendors are located in the Midwest, like wise the majority of the haunts in the US are in the midwest. (Example – Just SE Mich has well over 70 haunts).

Lastly, another fun fact. Half of the USA deals with cold weather each and every year, we don’t shutdown the country because we see a snow flake, I never heard so many crybabies! Lol You don’t hear us northerners complain about humidity, sweaty armpits, and humongous cockroaches do ya!

My 2 cents for the day……….

Regards,
Jeff Londos
Monster-Tronics
Innovators in Haunt Technologies
www.Monster-Tronics.com
Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
www.halloweenhauntvendors.com
www.youtube.com/MonsterTronics

Grimley
04-03-2009, 06:56 AM
The seminars need to be better organized. I paid for two this year and proceeded to the seminar room. When I got there you could enter from one of three doors. No one ever checked anyone for the tickets. When I got there the guy sitting next to me said he had just stayed for all of them. I was a little pissed. That and due to the fact that no one was checking people were having to sit on the floor because there was no space.

Jolly Pumpkin
04-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I second Louisville, KY. It has a great convention center, some incredible haunts, a great downtown and more. There are at least 15 haunts I can think of that are in the Louisville, KY or surrounding areas and many within 2 hours. So there would be no shortage of haunts to tour. You also have Waverly Hills Sanatorium for Ghost Hunting and plenty of bars and places to hang out. Even one decorates extensively for Halloween and would probably do the same for the tradeshow. You even have a massive costume store to help Shane if He ended up having a costume ball along with the dinner. There are also plenty of hotels in Louisville, KY. The convention Center would easily be able to accommodate the haunt show and Louisville, KY is just a great Halloween town.

graystone
04-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I think and I will have to agree with Larry on this TransWorld seems to be listining. We have their ear and everyone needs to offer input and suggestions! I still would like to see the show move every two years. New host city, new haunts, new sights. We will just see how it pans out. Also starting the show on Thursday and ending on Sunday seems a good fit. It allows an extra night of fun whatever it may be.

Yes Noah your talking about Caufields Novlity. Tracy Caufield is a good friend of mine and she even makes the drive to Nashville to have her kids pictures taken with my Santa at one of my malls there rather than in Louisville. Anyway speaking of Nashville I still think the Opryland hotel would be a great place for the show and EVERYONE COULD STAY AT THE HOTEL THERE ITS THE LARGEST IN THE WORLD! Anyway were drifting right now we should focus on St. Louis! Shane and its opinions are well needed when it comes to the Haunt Show! Shane this time!

HauntedMemphis
04-03-2009, 07:32 AM
I agree with Rich! The vendors asked TW not to have the seminars at the same time as the show hours or at least mix it up. This year at TW the show floor stayed pretty busy but like Rich said, HC & MHC vendors stand in an empty show floor while the seminars go on all day long, then there is an hour break in the seminars and you get flooded. I understand haunters love all of the extra stuff at theses shows but is TW going to be another convention??? I’d like to see the show floors go away at HC & MHC and make them fun and not dilute the buyers from TW, and keep TW a “Tradeshow”.

I think one of the main things that kept the floor full during seminars was really the tracks. Even for people going to seminars, it was likely that two of the three tracks wouldn't apply to them. As a result, the majority of the audience was still out in the vendor area.

Speculo
04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
On the seminars, good observation! It was the desire of the vendors to not lose an entire day of any one class of buyers, that is why they were broken into tracks as you noted. Also The idea was to appeal to different buyers from other areas than just haunts, another reason for the different tracks.

If we had had seminars all day just slamming haunted houses I think some of the vendors might not have been happy. Info is still coming in but due to the consistant strength of buyers on the floor and the very solid seminar attendance, the plan seems to have worked.

Thanks!

Monster-Tronics
04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
It was the desire of the vendors to not lose an entire day of any one class of buyers, that is why they were broken into tracks as you noted.

The tracks sound like a good idea to split up the traffic, however I met some really nice people at the CV party that said they had not seen the show floor at all because they were in seminars all day and had a few more on Sat. to go to. I guess they went for them all.

Maybe the best thing to do is have the seminars the day before the show starts like Transworld use to do, that way if people want to come in the day before just to party they can do that, hit some seminars and not obstruct the show.

Regards,
Jeff Londos
Monster-Tronics
Innovators in Haunt Technologies
www.Monster-Tronics.com
Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
www.halloweenhauntvendors.com
www.youtube.com/MonsterTronics

fullerm
04-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I hope they combine again. Frankly, I didn't order much from the retail side, but it gave me a chance to look at what's coming out in the fall, so that I can buy it then.

Also, I am one for moving it back to Chicago. There is more stuff to do, and I just enjoy Chicago more. No offense, to Larry or anyone in the area, but I didn't enjoy St. Louis. I just didn't find it to be an impressive city at all.

legendsofthefog
04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
From having experience exhibiting at other conferences (in other industries) I agree that sunday SUCKS!! Horrorfind: Sunday is a waste of time. Everyone is hung over and no one is buying/talking/trading/etc. However, I love sunday 12:00 p.m. That way people can get in their last minute show deals, etc.

I would personally be in favor of a thursday opening. When you take seminars all day Friday, and Saturday's trade show is a zoo... it is hard to get in quality time with vendors. I think everyone appreciates when vendors have time to spend with you answering questions... not looking over your shoulder looking for the next potential buyer.

I know its a pain in the ass... but what about t-shirts for '10? Some of us have kids/family/friends (whoever) who would want a t-shirt back home. I think brainstorm was the only company selling shirts at the show.

BTW. Clutch on the event security/scanning system/etc. You know there were about 3,000 kids who would have ransacked the trade show floor if they could.

xxxdirk
04-04-2009, 01:57 PM
LOL, made us feel like we were the coolest gang around. A number of times I passes these little teenie boopers talking to security craning their necks trying to see all the cool stuff inside and begging and pleading to get in.....

screamline studios
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I will not lie the show kicked ass, i loved it!!! I am sure we will vend there next year, however with positives there are negatives. I really liked how close the show was to the hotel, i loved the food, i liked alot of the new vendors!!!! cool shit. But i cannot shake that empty feeling ?? I disliked the price of food at the show, i disliked the assgouge if you ordered a drink at the bar not to mention the bar sucked ass.. I guess what disturbed me the most is that we should be happy the show is split apart??? I do not like this at all, most vendors, most people, cannot afford all these shows!!! To me i always looked at transworld as the end all, be all for us halloween lovers. I would like everyone to think back to there childhood when halloween was your day to get candy and dress up, you get a little older and scare the kids in your front yard, add a little more time to the mix and have your very first "yard haunt" this was our catalist to what we would one day become!!!! BLAMM we are haunted house actors, owners, make-up artists,set designers, or vendors and even more, my point is halloween is what helped make us so why would we leave it behind us. I dont give one damn were it is just keep the show together its a great start to a great ending.

Just a thought from a asshole

Jason Blaszczak

xxxdirk
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Well said Jason. I agree having the tradeshow so close to the hotel was the best thing. I could roll out of bed at 9:15, shower and shave and be at the trade show at 9:30! Bar sucked for sure, 2 bartenders and two waittresses? That will have to change. I mean, were they unaware that haunters were in town? LOL. Food, as always at the tradeshow was epensive and too few choices.

screamline studios
04-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you TRIPLE X

jason

drfrightner
04-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I told you guys to vend this year... I do hope you vend next year because you guys have cool stuff!!! You guys have some serious talent over there!

Here is looking at you guys exhibiting next year!!!

Larry

screamline studios
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you larry, It means alot.

Jason

Speculo
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey guys, get some new product out there, I am sure at least your existing clients will buy it. Great stuff and great service.

Looking forward to seeing what you pull out for the other shows!

Thanks!

screamline studios
04-04-2009, 10:31 PM
existing clients ??? you throwing a chop our way ben?? HAHA To be honest the best part of laying low for some shows is we are preparing for alot of new products hoping existing clients and new ones will enjoy them..

Jason Blaszczak

mindtumor
04-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Burned out buildings EVERYWHERE? Vacant....graffitti....hmmmm were we in St louis or Detroit?

I don't think the D is as bad as most of St.Louis. Parts of it certainly are downright scary but there is a lot of nice stuff there too. I think it is more appropriate when you are in Detroit to say " Am I in St. Louis or Detroit, LOL?" I thought East St. Louis was scarier than Detroit, LOL.

I am just kidding around. Detroit is pretty rough but I think they are improving slowly. They have had a lot of stuff come to the city lately, Superbowl, All-star baseball, Wrestlemania, and the final 4 this year.

zombiehorror
04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
St. Louis much like any city has its "stay away areas". I went to Washington DC several years ago and was told not to walk around the city alone, especially at night. My wife (g/f at the time) and I walked everywhere from site to site and back again and never had any proplems. Our hotel was not in the nicest of looking areas (just a few blocks from Ford Theater) even though it was a tourist area.

America's Center and Edward Jones Dome are on the outskirts of a questionable area.....head east to the river or south from there never west or north! Does heading in one of these other directions mean you may be robbed or killed not necassarily but when heading to a new city it pays to research.

As for the original topic I was new to Transworld and had a good time viewing all the stuff and if my budget were bigger I'd have had a great time buying all the cool stuff. I'm psyched to hear it may return next year.