PDA

View Full Version : New Debate... Kids at Transworld

drfrightner
04-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Here is a new hot topic that Transworld is dicussing. IAAPA allows kids on the show floor, so does Haunton and so does MHC. Should Transworld allow kids on the show floor? Or should Transworld offer a day care?

I say yes to kids on the show floor especially if Transworld is going to charge admission fees to enter the show next year. If you want to pay why not?

Was this a problem for some of you to come or not come?

Larry

Nightgore
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Hmmmm.....

-I think kids to a point should be allowed... I don't want to see children running around crazy while I'm trying to do BUSINESS! It's a shame that some haunters, Nick from Hellsgate, didn't get to go to TW because of age yet Larry, your two little rascals got to attend the show! (One in matching attire as his dad I might add! ;)

-Charging a fee? Then I hope the cost of seminars DROPS like a ROCK... I think part of the the draw for shows like this is that they're FREE!!! I know ALOT of haunts bring CREWS with them... this will END if there's a FEE to get into TW!

If TW does charge a FEE I can guarentee attandence will DROP and fall of the deep end! Then there goes the vendors... etc. etc. This will be the death needle for TW if they decide to charge a FEE!!

MHC has a free show floor... I would put everything on the line that MHC would become the NEW BUYERS SHOW if TW decides to charge fees to get into the show!

What they need to do... Is keep it a FREE show with OPEN registration! This would allow every qualified buyer (Pro haunts, home haunts, charity haunts) into the show... no questions asked!

-Tyler

SomeThingInTheIce
04-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I say no kids and no fees, kids will just be in the way and unlike crew members thay have no input to what is needed for the haunt. If they are going to charge a fee then maybe it can be one fee per haunt and not for each person with that haunt.

Speculo
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I would love to bring my son Max, he is 13. I have taken him to Haunt X, a few Hauntcons and MHC. The trouble is Transworld is the show that we do the most business at, and I might not bring him even if I could because of the serious nature of the money getting spent, the meetings, etc.

It might be somthing to do with maturity rather than true age - Should children run rampant? No. Could older children behaving more like adults and not tying up the vendors come...maybe. What about adults acting like children eh? Truth be told if I were to guess I would say the vendors would prefer NO distractions, be they seminars, costumed actors, haunt tours, children or excess staff that keeps them from demonstrating products to the folks who write the checks.

But back to topic, it is a business show. Maybe the rules need to be loosened to allow mature older children who are really into the stuff on the floor, with some sort of behavior or other provisions. Older children and teenagers are some of our best target groups - maybe we should see what they like on the show floor eh?

IAAPA wants kids to ride the rides - Maybe we want Teenagers to scream at the monsters?

Thanks!

robert
04-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Most mainstream tradeshows charge around $50.00 and up for non invited buyers. Transworld should do the same. If you are there to do business it's a small price to pay if you do not already have a relationship with at least one of the vendors already. And yes, the fees for the seminars would have to drop but still be a separate charge.

drfrightner
04-04-2009, 10:10 PM
My kids want to go, IAAPA has as many dangerous things there as anywhere else... I think parents should figure out what is right or wrong for their kids. I say yes to kids or at the very least a day care.

I can bring my kids to all these shows but Transworld. I'm not saying its wrong that you can't, in fact I see why you would have rules against it and actually wouldn't disagree with it... but I think there are so many of you that make this a family business that I see nothing wrong with it.

Larry

Nightgore
04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Larry,

Then how did your kids get into the show? -Tyler

Motograter
04-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I say no kids and no fees, kids will just be in the way and unlike crew members they have no input to what is needed for the haunt. If they are going to charge a fee then maybe it can be one fee per haunt and not for each person with that haunt.

I'm with you on this one ice. I am sorry I love kids and I want kids some day but I wouldn't want them at this kind of a show. It is strictly business, when I'm walking through Oak islands haunted walk-thur display I wouldn't want kids hanging out inside goofing off thinking that the claustrophobia walls is a playground.

UndeadProd
04-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I hate to be the old crank in the room, but TW is a business show primarily designed for owners and authorized buyers -- and I don't think kids or teens shoudl be allowed on the floor ... Or if they are, it should only be during designated hours of the day (perhaps the first couple hours of Saturday so that we can see how they react to the stuff?)

It was hard enough to navigate through the halls this year with the high volumes of people (many of whom weren't really authorized to spend $ with the vendors) and would only be worse with all the kids running around all weekend long.

DollFacexHorror
04-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I dont know if that tits magee is gonna be walking should kids really be exposed to that? I think that if kids are allowed that drops the age for everyone right? or is this just children of registered vendors and such and then 18 and up for everyone else. If that is the case that really wouldnt make much sense.

Depending on how much the fees are I think that the numbers wouldnt drop that much and who knows it might actually add more that have never attended due to the kids factor.

Larry on another note I strongly think daycare provided would be a big benefit. I think every adult with children at some point during the show would want to take time out for themselves or for doing business .
________
Ford Vega history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Vega)

Haunting Copy
04-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Because TW is a tradeshow and not a convention, I would like to see younger children not allowed on the floor during business hours. Unfortunately, many parents do not recognize when their children are inconveniencing others.

There is also the consideration of insurance premiums. Will TW have more to pay if children are on the floor - and thereby raising the costs for everyone? Will the entry fees cover it?

If there were to be a costume party, then sure, allow them, if the parents think it would be appropriate for their children.

Parrents would need to be aware, too, that the Painted Boob Lady may be lurking!

Motograter
04-04-2009, 10:48 PM
One other thing I just thought of, what about all the gore at the show. Do you think the vendors would have to cut down on all the blood and guts because of young eyes walking around?

robert
04-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Gore and kids will eventually be a problem. Some unsuspecting newbie will bring kids and be offended and EVERYONE will pay the price.

xxxdirk
04-04-2009, 11:17 PM
They charge a fee, they better have something they are giving us in exchange, like free seminars etc. Can you tell this has hit a nerve?!!!! I never speak in caps!!!!!!!!!

Haunting Copy
04-04-2009, 11:20 PM
They charge a fee, they better have something they are giving us in exchange, like free seminars etc. Can you tell this has hit a nerve?!!!! I never speak in caps!!!!!!!!!

I agree they need to offer more if they're going to charge a fee. How about at least a freakin' keychain.

scarygoat
04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
I just want you to allow people under 18 because I am under 18, but I'm serious about haunted houses. I wouldn't be some crazy kid running all over the place lol. I just wanted to go to see some of the stuff out there and maybe meet some people. I do a home haunt and I really couldn't afford any of those huge animations, but masks and smaller props I can afford. I think it would be awesome if you allowed people under 18 to come, although I could see how younger kids running all over the place could get annoying.

Front Yard Fright
04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
A year ago I would be the one saying "Let the kids in!!!" But now that I was actually able to attend the show, I'm glad they have an age limit. I can see a lot of little kids running around, playing with, and breaking stuff.

Plus, did anyone else see the HUNDREDS of kids at the convention center on (I think it was) Saturday? I saw many groups of them come up to the scanners at the doors saying "Oh well I'm 18 can I go in!?" I think it would be even more crowded and more entertainment for the kids rather than, like others have mentioned, a business trip.

Maybe if they had certain proof like they worked for a haunt, or they had business in attending the show (Such as Nick) But other than that no way!

I'll be the first to admit I went just to go, and not buy much. But I waited till I was 18... So can everyone else!

Just my two cents.
:).

drfrightner
04-05-2009, 12:53 AM
My kids were not really at the show but for like 15 minutes. We didn't have a babysitter, so my mother came to the convention center to pick them up. They wanted to come to the show and stay, they really loved telling me everything they thought we should buy. If they could stay at the show, or be allowed I'd have them there with me all day. They love this stuff as I assume most of your kids do as well.

I think if TW charges an addmission fee let anyone who pays attend.

Or offer day care or something.

I know a lot of us have kids and we would love to bring them. If I go to MHC or Hauntcon I'm bringing my kids because they would love it!!!!!!!!

Larry

Brandon_K
04-05-2009, 01:58 AM
I love kids. I don't have any, but I love my nieces and nephew, friends kids, etc and take them whenever I can.

That being said, kids have absolutely no place being on the tradeshow floor. There are some 14-16 year olds that volunteer at our haunt that I would be absolutely embarrased to have my name associated with our haunt if they were allowed to go.

I understand the "Oooo, that's cool!" factor, but really, that's all it is to have a kid on the floor. The 14-16 year olds I spoke of above aren't making buying decisions, the tradeshows are buying shows, they have no need to be there.

For that matter, I wish MHC, etc would put a age restriction on. Don't get me wrong, I would feel for the vendors that have kids that couldn't bring them. One vendor who I buy from every year has had his daughters at MHC but I'll say they are extremely well behaved and well mannered, really nice girls, so it would be crap for that vendor. As someone as mentioned above, sometimes parents don't realize when they're being a pain in the ass to someone else. Maybe vendors should be allowed to bring helpers if they so choose? I know many moons ago when I used to help my Dad at his Saturday job, if I was out of line at his business, I got the shit smacked out of me.

I deal with it at resturants, movies, etc. I won't deal with it at a professional tradeshow.

Darkangel
04-05-2009, 05:25 AM
HELL NO kids should not be allowed, between the half naked chick walking around and sometimes with props, to the gore and everything else I say no. We don't recommend kids in our haunts now right, so why let them see this crazy stuff in better lighting? I know some kids can handle it, but this is a tradeshow for business people not a vacation.

Also the show should stay restricted to who is allowed now to go. It should be more strict than easier. Haunts rolling in 8-10 deep where one 1-4 people is enough for buying decisions is already a nuisance. The show should not be open to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants to go to see neat stuff doing little more than clog up the floor and tie up vendors.
If we can finally prove we can step up and have our own show, why take two steps back and invite in even more enthusiasts, non-buyers, kids and everyone else who wants to see "cool stuff" to what is supposed to show us in a professional light where we do big business?

Darkangel

maliciousstudios
04-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Sounds like a nightmare to me.... Kids on the show floor ? I think some kids may be just fine our 6 year old is around the stuff all the time. Hell we had a body sitting at the dinner table for a long time and theres anything from mutilated carcasses to bloody weapons all over the house and shop. BUT I think of some kids reactions as well as my 6 year olds reaction to some of the stuff. It trematic, the fear you see in their eyes is horrible.... I could never stand to see parents drag their little kids through the haunt. Yeah, I think this is a bad idea.... ( just my opinion....) Bad for the vendors ( its confusing enough ) everyone is stressed, talking loud to be heard, Transworld is insane, then you add children ( ours are well behaved but you know not all will be ) Its like Christmas.... its a great idea but the kids running around screaming, playing, crying, touching things, stealing things..... yeah as much as I love my kids and at times would love to think of bringing them I would say no way.

And then some of us use the trip as a mini vacation.... not only that but what do you do with the kids when everyone is socializing at the bar? Hell give em a shot of Yager afterall its not what others think, its hould be up to parent to decide whether or not the kid can handle some Yager.... Right ?

( Dont attack me its just my opinion which means nothing, AND sometimes I come off the wrong way this is in no way shape or form meant to insult anyone )

Haunted Farm
04-05-2009, 06:44 AM
My 15 year old has been around the business for 8 years now going on 9. It is a shame that he can not come to discuss the props with me and what he likes and doesn't like. For that simple reason we are going to the National Haunters on the 9th in Phili so that he can attend the seminars and meet some of the people.

I really think this should be at the decretion of the parents themselves. Especially if we are going to pay for admission next year.

maliciousstudios
04-05-2009, 07:00 AM
I see both sides.... ( REALLY ) but it sounds like more drama than I would like to think of dealing with ! Heres one that my wife thought of.... 15,16,17 year olds hooking up with 18 and olders kids or young adults or not to mention older people.... sex with minors, contributing to the delinquency of minors, all kinds of drama. Kids will drink at the show.... kids will have sex at the show. I think this is an adult oriented show. We dont need the drama, leave the kids at home.

There is allot that plays into it. I didnt even want to bring up some of the issues... but, in the end it sounds like a mess. Fastest way to get the show shut down ?? Just add the drama of lil Suzie 16 years old gets embarrassed and says that adult bob raped her or lil jhonny dies from alchol poisoning - he swiped alcohol from his mom and dads room or had someone older buy it for him. Not to mention kids want to fight all the time.... Somehow lil Johnny will get alcohol and when hes drunk he wants to prove himself or possibly fight with Billy another 17 year old.... BLAH BLAH BLAH, ( TO MUCH DRAMA - LET EM' COME TO THE SHOW...AND SEE FOR YOURSELF ) Thinking of all the possible drama TURNS MY STOMACH....Theres already enough now, need a second helping ??

Darkangel
04-05-2009, 07:07 AM
I think that we parents sometimes forget that not everyone has kids and wants them around, especially in what is supposed to be a business setting...

Darkangel

maliciousstudios
04-05-2009, 07:18 AM
I love my kids to death.... I cant stand to be away from them, ( IT REALLY DRIVES THE WIFE AND I CRAZY ) to not see them for 3-4 days... HELL it drives me crazy at just one day, I know other parents cant wait to get away...lol...I cant stand to be away.....

But, even with this said... kids at the show is the LAST thing I want to worry about. I dont know how all of you feel.... but, I think its opening a can of worms...

Some kids are good, but some kids like myself when I was 16 are bad. I would have been trying to hook up with girls, trying to party, etc. I think its valid reasoning.... to want to bring your children, but its simply a bad idea in my opinion. ( Which doesnt mean squat - and is sometimes taken the wrong way )

BruiseMuse
04-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I honestly think Transworld should stay adult only, due to the fact that this is a business show, which isn't meant to be a family friendly trip. I have a 13 year old step-son, but I would not want to bring him to show because it would distract me from talking to vendors and networking.

I would also worryabout the liability of having kids on the floor, accidentally hurting themselves or breaking something.

Haunted Illinois
04-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Kids on the show floor? Just what ages are we talking about? I love kids and all, but if everybody was walking around pushing a stroller at 0.5 MPH, that would be worse than the rolling luggage!!!

...It is strictly business, when I'm walking through Oak islands haunted walk-thur display I wouldn't want kids hanging out inside goofing off thinking that the claustrophobia walls is a playground.
I could see this being a potential problem, if some kids would be goofing around, treating the show like their personal playground, while people are trying to conduct business.

There is also the consideration of insurance premiums. Will TW have more to pay if children are on the floor - and thereby raising the costs for everyone? Will the entry fees cover it?
Probably. I asked TW reps years ago about their "18 and over" rule and they said it was due to their insurance policy and liability issues. If kids were allowed, I'm sure something would have to change... probably resulting in higher premiums and Transworld passing the buck to attendees.

I dont know if that tits magee is gonna be walking should kids really be exposed to that?

That is a valid point. This IS an adult themed show and kids shouldn't be subjected to certain things... like HER. Hell, I shouldn't have been subjected to that! LOL.

Also, what about all the gore at the show? Creepy Collection and Ghost Ride, just to name two off the top of my head. Kids shouldn't be seeing this stuff, either.

Larry on another note I strongly think daycare provided would be a big benefit.
I agree. That would solve a lot of the issues already addressed in this thread. The only question would be, at what cost?

Grimley
04-05-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a son who would have a blast BUT this is a buyers show. One that happens to have lots of blood and gore. I remember some tits and giant cock prosthetics at the last show. It was hard enough to get around in St Louis. Could you imagine tripping over a bunch of kids. I can imagine a bunch of do not touch signs going up at all of the vendor booths.

graystone
04-05-2009, 08:39 AM
NO Way!!!No Way! If I was like Larry and was a vendor and had kids maybe if they were made to remain at the vendors booth and not allowed to run and play on the show floor. I can understand the problems with vendors and kids. But their would be the big question. WOULD THEY? CAN THEY WATCH THEIR KIDS AND SELL PRODUCT AT THE SAME TIME?

As a buyer I dont want kids running around me, getting in my way while I am trying to place orders and distract me from making business decisions. I would think vendors would feel the same its just to much of a distraction.

What I am for is lowering the age to 16 for the young home haunters and those who have dreams of becoming a pro haunt! It would be a great experience for them and at 16 they are becoming young adults. Shane and who is with me on dropping the age limit from 21 to 16? Shane this time!

jason
04-05-2009, 09:35 AM
no, no, and no!! kids will get in the way of things overall. they will pull and tug on props. cry when things scare them. all of those things, plus more, cause distractions to the parents/ true buyers as well as vendors. oh then there is theft (for those young teens that like to take small items)! ha

if you think that kids will not break, touch, play around, or steal at a halloween store; just take a good look areound the next time your visiting your local halloween store or better yet work at one! you'll see it all folks! ha

however, i do like the idea of letting teens (with an adult) in on a designated time/day.

jason
04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
My kids were not really at the show but for like 15 minutes. We didn't have a babysitter, so my mother came to the convention center to pick them up. They wanted to come to the show and stay, they really loved telling me everything they thought we should buy. If they could stay at the show, or be allowed I'd have them there with me all day. They love this stuff as I assume most of your kids do as well.

I think if TW charges an addmission fee let anyone who pays attend.

Or offer day care or something.

I know a lot of us have kids and we would love to bring them. If I go to MHC or Hauntcon I'm bringing my kids because they would love it!!!!!!!!

Larry

larry your kids were there for 15 minutes! kids do not have that long of an attention span. they grow tired and cranky. a SERIOUS buyer, like yourself needs no distractions nor a child that will be pulling on your shirt saying they are ready to go.

for a vendor to have their kids in their booth..well that's a buyers turn off. there is just something about that.

zimmerman
04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Must be at least 11 years old and must stay with adult.

scarygoat
04-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Is it possible even if there is normally no kids allowed to get some sort of special pass or something to allow you in. Because I am 14 and I am really interested in the haunt industry, ever since I was like 8, I have been kinda obsessed with Halloween and haunted houses. And last year I actually got the chance to do my first home haunt and it was amazing. If it was possible to do some kind of special pass or something just for the people under 18 that are really into it I think that would be awesome. And you could still have the no one under 18 rule.

brad
04-05-2009, 10:33 AM
There are some haunts out there that aren't full of blood and gore, and all the high tech stuff we see at TW..... If that groups that owns that style haunt has never been exposed to these items, and come to the show for the first time with their 11 ro 12 yr. old kids.... they would be overwhelmed!

There could be some serious issues started!

And just as maliciousstudios stated.... I was that 16 or 17 yr old kid that wanted to party and hook up with older chicks and etc., etc. I dont want to deal with that shit while I'm trying to have a good time.

Another thing, Sarah (Haunting Copy) was with me during the show. On Saturday, I pretty much ditched her during the show. Only because I had my buying to do, and I didnt want any distractions, what-so-ever. I feel bad for "ditching" her for a few hours, but that's how I work best. With no distractions.

If there's a bunch of teens and tweens running around, or even worse... little kids. I would have a serious issue and would have a lot of problems dealing with this!

badlander2000
04-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I am a very serious 15 year old home haunter who will be 16 for the next haunt show and I believe that the age limit should be dropped to 14, for the most serious of us who actually make the decisions for our haunt. As you all know one of the main appeals of the show is that the best vendors bring the biggest booths with the coolest new products at the lowest prices of the year. This is what we, the aspiring pro haunters need access to. But for everyone between 14 and 17 there should be a standard list of admission requirements just like the adults.

-School ID, Learner's Permit or Driver's License
-Membership Cards to HHA, IAHA, IAAPA etc. or any combination of these
-Personally drawn up plans for the haunt
-Subscription to Hauntworld, HAM or HHA card to verify both
-Flyer from previous years/ photos
-URL to website

Motograter
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I am sorry but I still think 14 is way to young to attend. I understand that some are really interested in haunted houses and want to build one one day which is awesome! I built my first home haunt when I was 12 inside my parents garage. But this show is serious and a lot of the props and items cost lots and lots of money. I would think a young teen at 14 wouldn't have a serious budget unlike serious haunt buyers.

brad
04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I am a very serious 15 year old home haunter who will be 16 for the next haunt show and I believe that the age limit should be dropped to 14,

.... there should be a standard list of admission requirements just like the adults.

-School ID, Learner's Permit or Driver's License
-Membership Cards to HHA, IAHA, IAAPA etc. or any combination of these
-Personally drawn up plans for the haunt
-Subscription to Hauntworld, HAM or HHA card to verify both
-Flyer from previous years/ photos
-URL to website

I can agree with this. Now I'd say the minimum age should be more like 16 than 14.

Just like Motograter said... those that are 14 or 15 most likely dont have a budget for this kind of stuff.

Badlander, I'm with you on this one. I had to wait till I was 18 to visit TW. If they can set some requirements like what you just listed, then I dont see a problem with someone that can meet those requirements.

I know there are several people out there that could make it, if this were the case

SomeThingInTheIce
04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Think of the BAD PR, what if kids were there when that church group showed up. They would have run with it for sure, I can see it now "Look at them, leting small children in there, look at that booth F#cked up stuff and the kids standing around it, how can we let this go on." No thanks we don't need to give people ammo so they can shoot at us.

hauntedhousenut
04-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Think of the BAD PR, what if kids were there when that church group showed up. They would have run with it for sure, I can see it now "Look at them, leting small children in there, look at that booth F#cked up stuff and the kids standing around it, how can we let this go on." No thanks we don't need to give people ammo so they can shoot at us.

Good point I can hear the service on sunday, the preacher would tell his congregation that it was bad because they have Fu@ked up stuff!!! ><

maliciousstudios
04-05-2009, 12:36 PM
bringing kids to the show has NOTHING to do with the vendors products OR the vendors names.... lets try to bend the conversation in a direction other than pointing at a Vendors name or what they sell... we all sell some sick stuff it would be easy for them to point at almost anything to place blame. The debate is about kids ( thats where we need to keep it )

The "Kids" debate has allot of drama attached to it, "Should it be allowed ? Shouldnt it be allowed ?" I dont think it even matters what we think....in the end Im sure Larry will do what he wants. I stand by my opinion.... I think it would be a big mistake, maybe not the first time, or the second, but sooner or later it will prove to take the show to a sour note.

As far as the younger deadicated haunters under 18.... "It wont be long and you will be 18, the show will still be there. Keep learning and accelling at what you do because everyone will be depending on you to run everying later. Everything takes time.... drivers licenses, school, college, becoming an adult ( 18 ) or even growing to the ripe age of 21 so you can purchase alcohol ( HERES A SPOILER.... 21 ISNT AS GREAT AS YOU MAY THINK ...LMFAO ) Everything takes time.... dont be in to much of hurry to grab life by the reigns.... this will come sooner than you think.

Haunted Illinois
04-05-2009, 12:45 PM
bringing kids to the show has NOTHING to do with the vendors products OR the vendors names.... lets try to bend the conversation in a direction other than pointing at a Vendors name or what they sell... we all sell some sick stuff it would be easy for them to point at almost anything to place blame. The debate is about kids ( thats where we need to keep it )

I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't trying to slam ANY vendor for the type of props they sell. What I WAS trying to do was make a point that children shouldn't see some of the stuff on the show floor, due to the adult content. Perhaps it was a mistake of me to use specific vendor names... if anyone took offense, I apologize.

I just don't think young kids belong in such an environment, that's all.

maliciousstudios
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Is all cool.... please dont take me the wrong way, I come off to strong ( ALLOT ) I also meant no foul.

I agree

Jim Warfield
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Are you ready, willing and able to accept a check from a 15 yr. old?
Kind of gets "snaggy" doesn't it?
Legal age to be responsible for your own debts is....otherwise the Judge laughs at the person taking Jr.'s check, doesn't he? Unless Jr. looked fully grown and lied about it, of course, then the legal guardian pays?
I knew a car dealer who sold a car to a "kid" the kid wrecked the car, didn't have to pay for it, because he as not of legal age yet.
As far as "kids" and creative ideas and enthusiasm? You bet! I think the average haunter loses much by not listening to and considering those young people when they talk.
what! No foul? You don't have to slap Adam's wrists when he goes up for the shot unless he's got his eye set on making it a slam-dunk! (How many fouls do you have left to give?)

Brandon_K
04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I've gathered a few things from this thread at this point;

1 - The only people that want kids to come have kids of their own and from what I've inferred, the kids aren't helping make the buying decision, but more of a "trip with Daddy" kind of thing.

2 - To the "highly interested 14 year olds" - What happens when you turn 16, get a car and can leave the house whenever you want? I used to be *very* into paintball and was actually very good. I was on a team for a few years and did tourneys in Vegas, Florida, Virginia, etc. When I got my drivers license, that all changed. Money for paintball went out the window, I had a car, insurance and gas to pay for. Not to mention the ability to not be stuck at home all the time, you tend to lose interest in things that are otherwise ungodly important to you right now.

however, i do like the idea of letting teens (with an adult) in on a designated time/day.

^^^^ THIS. A fantastic idea. I would guess Sundays around 6pm would be about the best time to let in anyone under 18.

maliciousstudios
04-05-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/14-year-old-boy-impersonates-chicago-cop.html

this is kind of funny..... BUT THINKING OF THIS, YOU READY TO OPEN THIS CAN OF WORMS AT THE SHOW ?? HOW MUCH DRAMA WOULD THIS CAUSE ?

robert
04-05-2009, 01:14 PM
TW is a big ticket item and should stay focused at 18 and older. Teens have MANY other Haunter's conventions at their disposal.

spookhaven
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
NHC & MHC are both friendly to children but give us warnings. As haunt owners, we are well aware of the affect it could have on our children. However, aren't most of our kids at the haunts while we are working or even participating themselves? I have kids ranging from 13 to 5 months old. My personal opinion is that my little ones would be less headache than the older ones. However my older kids work in the haunt and certainly could give us a good idea if they see something. It's a "catch 22". Before I had kids, I would have said no way. However it's extremely difficult to leave the kids for so long. Last Transworld we took a sitter.

I think we are all mindful that we are there to do business so if the kids started to interfere with business for me or someone else, I would remove them immediately. Maybe a daycare type would be ok, but for a kids that has been raised around doing business, they would be fine. How are they suppose to learn unless they are part of learning experience.

If they bother someone (their parents would probably be the first one to get stressed by them saying look at this) then you take them back to the hotel room and someone would have to stay with them. Never know until you try it!

SteveR
04-05-2009, 01:53 PM
No kids, I think that's a bad idea. Keep it business focused.
Maybe 15 & up, tho, mayhaps...

Grimley
04-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Sorry guys but the age should be 21 Ha

brad
04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I just don't think young kids belong in such an environment, that's all.

With that being said, that is the reason why it's an 18 and up show. And the same reason why you have to be 18 to go to a strip club, or rent an adult movie.

It's no different than seeing a topless, mutilated girl posed for everybody to see.

Haunting Copy
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
With that being said, that is the reason why it's an 18 and up show. And the same reason why you have to be 18 to go to a strip club, or rent an adult movie.

It's no different than seeing a topless, mutilated girl posed for everybody to see.

Good point. :)

brad
04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Good point. :)

Thanks you.

I always have a good point. :D

Ken Spriggs
04-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I have 2 kids.....and I rarely see them.
If TW is open to kids....I will be able to bring them, like the other shows.
They are 11 and 13
And if anyone on here says that an 11 and 13 year old kid doesn't have the respect for the cash involved in the products at the shows......YOUR CRAZY

Both of my children have been raised around all of this....blood .....guts.....you name it.
I had to go to school every year and explain they may say....DAD GOT A NEW SEVERED HEAD
They know what is fake....what is real....and they have manners.

It is hard to conduct business with kids around though!!!!!

The13thHour
04-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Kids at TW = Recipe for disaster

theeverydayguy
04-05-2009, 06:58 PM
i think that you should be 17 or older because most people that age have a JOB and are willing to spend money and for the little kids they should put them in a drak room with the scare factory angel of death it would be funny to watch them cry
:p

MidnightEvil
04-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey how about this

Adults preregistration ................... Free
Adults registration at the door ........ $35
Kids 15 to 18 preregistration .......... $35
Kids 15 to 18 at the door ............... $75
Kids 10 to 14 preregistration ............. $100
Kids 10 to 14 at the door .............. $200
Kids 9 and under preregistration ....... $300
Kids 9 and under at the door ......... $600
Kids in strollers ad to admission .. $1,000

OK problem solved HaHaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Haunted Illinois
04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Sounds good to me!!!!

Nightgore
04-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Not being sarcastic, but Gary that's an AWESOME idea! -Tyler

spookhaven
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
MidnightEvil, is that actual age or acting your age we are charging for? LMAO

Just trying to make light of the subject! TW is not going to let children in but might reduce the age limit.

Heck going to TW is a vacation away for the parents or like going to a play ground to play with our friends isn't it?

MidnightEvil
04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
MidnightEvil, is that actual age or acting your age we are charging for? LMAO

Just trying to make light of the subject! TW is not going to let children in but might reduce the age limit.

Heck going to TW is a vacation away for the parents or like going to a play ground to play with our friends isn't it?
Man-O-Man, if it was the age we act, most of us would need to stay home LOL

Haunting Copy
04-05-2009, 09:25 PM
hey how about this

adults preregistration ................... Free
adults registration at the door ........ $35
kids 15 to 18 preregistration .......... $35
kids 15 to 18 at the door ............... $75
kids 10 to 14 preregistration ............. $100
kids 10 to 14 at the door .............. $200
kids 9 and under preregistration ....... $300
kids 9 and under at the door ......... $600
kids in strollers ad to admission .. $1,000

ok problem solved hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

rotflmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole
04-05-2009, 10:37 PM
We have a 3 year old - no way would I take her to TW even if they offered daycare (strangers watching my little one - no thank you). She stays with family back at home. I guess the daycare option would be nice for others who have children and don't have family back home to watch them, but some of the best networking takes place after show in social settings.

This is a place of business and I think it's done well staying that way (without children).

spookologist
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Trade shows are no place for kids under 16 years old. The only way it might be a good idea would be to have kids come during a certain time slot, like Sunday afternoon.

Wayne

Jim Warfield
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Have a day care located in the center of the Transworld show floor build a structure with chocolate siding, candy cane railings, gingerbread roofing,rock candy windows, don't forget the ovens inside for the kids that are bad.
Fairybook Daycare!

The Mad Hatter
04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I think Its a good idea for kids to got to the show as long as the parents or guardians look after them. Just hope the kids don’t freak out being exposed to this stuff at such a young age. If they don’t freak then you know the kids have some serous problems and will probably contribute to the haunt industry when they grow up. I honestly believe getting kids exposed to this at a young age will benefit the haunt industry in the future. I do not know if you would get in trouble allowing kids under 18 in the shows though. exposing them to the gore, and props with “Boobies”. This is just my thinking though.

-Frank

mindtumor
04-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Is there anyway we can get that one lady to quit showing her breasts at this show. Seriously, enough is enough.

As far as kids I don't care if they are there as long as they aren't causing trouble. There are already a bunch of people there that don't really need to be there so why not add some more. The problem is not every parent properly supervises their children and they let them run wild no matter where they are. I have two kids and my oldest could handle the show just fine. It isn't like
she is going to be taking up vendors time and catalogs. I would keep a handle on my children, other people might not though. I wouldn't even consider bringing my youngest though. He is too little and wild. Cute but wild.

It is always funny to me to read about who should be allowed to attend and who shouldn't. Should there be kids? Should there be actors? Should there be people who don't own a haunt and walk around and only taking pictures? Should there be that one woman who won't wear a shirt? Everybody wants to come to the show and have their opinions and then every year we have to listen to people cry and complain about the show and cry about the food and cry about the haunt tours and cry about other haunters and cry about the weather and cry about why this person didn't talk to me or this person doesn't respect me. This show already isn't all about just conducting business so why not add some more distractions.

HauntedMemphis
04-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm very much against kids at most any tradeshow. Trade shows are not conventions. I'm especially against kids at this trade show because of the adult content. I think the liability is reason enough to settle the issue.

The most common arguments I see for are "my kids can handle it" or "I'm under age, but I can handle it". Should TW start having psychological testing for under age registrants as part of the registration process? Yes, I'm sure everyone's kids are little angels (even if it's likely angels of death in this industry), but once you open things up, where do you draw the line? Sure, parents can quiet their kids back down and remove them. Lets say that only takes 5 minutes of show time as a disturbance. Now lets multiply that by 500 people bringing their kids and only taking that 5 minutes of disturbance. That's hours of annoyance for people wanting to do business.

I look at it simply as what the upside and downside of allowing kids in the show would be. The downside is far greater than the upsdie. For those who want to expose their kids (or themselves for the 14 year olds out there) to the industry, look at conventions, not trade shows. They are not the same thing.

damon carson
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I would say lower the age of kids allowed to enter. I have two young boys and I know they would love seeing the stuff at the show. I would say some of it is unsuitable because of gore/nudity or whatever. Like that f'up stuff girl prop. I think maybe 10 to 13 yrs of age is maybe old enough. I know I want to take my sons someday and I really dont want to have to wait till they are 18yrs old. If they start charging a fee to enter then Im with everyone else they need to offer more.
Damon

Killer Katie
04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I have to say, I love kids! Have one of my own.
But there should NOT be kids allowed for a few reasons (if these are doubles, I apologize!)
1. You can't rely on parents to keep an eye on them.
2. It isn't exactly a safe place for kids to run around in, especially with all of the pneumatics running and the people who can't walk around the ADULTS.
3. The flyers and handouts will be flying out of the vendors hands - especially with the teens, who may think they are cool.
4. Have you ever been hit in the back of the heel with a stroller? OUCH!
5. It will take away from the atmosphere. I remember the conversation about Tradeshow Vs Convention. Tradeshows are about buisness. Who can concentrate with the environment a bunch of kids can create?
I could see a case by case exception, ie... Hellsgate, he's over 16 and is involved heavily with a haunt. Or Ben's kid. I saw him at a show, can't remember when, but he was a tiotal mini-Ben, very professional, asked great intelligent questions, really got into it!

Haunting Copy
04-06-2009, 04:55 PM
the liability is reason enough to settle the issue.

I agree.

The downside is far greater than the upsdie.

Again, I agree.

Although I would like to see Hell's Gate and a couple others be able to go, the fact is, there is still the legal liability and insurance premiums, yadda yadda.

There has to be a cut-off somewhere.

But as for the conventions, I say, "Bring 'em on, baby!" :D

Mad Wax Sculptor
04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey why not let kids go. The kids are a good gauge for whats hot and whats not and may help im making the right purchases. More importantly they may help sway from making a bad buy as well. They certainly must me monitored. No one wants to hear 20,000 times hey mister whats this, hey mister, hey mister.......

BruiseMuse
04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I know some kids can behave themselves, but there are plenty of parents that turn a blind eye to what their child is getting into. At MHC, we had a small child try to climb the side of our booth and they knocked over several items. The mother was oblivious as we were picking up the mess in his wake. Kids are great, but should not be at a tradeshow where vendors have expensive items on display and are trying to conduct business.

JamBam
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Since we have broken down the barrier of the difference between all the shows/tradeshows/conventions etc. since orders, networking, tours, socials, association meetings, and awards all happen at ALL OF THESE EVENTS, it is now time to debate kids at the Transworld show.

That said, the possible reasons for "liability" issues at previous TW shows were the adult costumes, scantily clad models, and the big one; "alcohol" being served by vendors to buyers.

Here are my reasons to eliminate the liability issues.
I am ok with waiting to drink until after the show. It was those big guys like Rubies that served the buyers wine and such, probably to lube up those buyers of thousands of costumes.

I am ok with no adult costumes or scantily clad models unless they are set up in a seperate area. If they return.

I am ok with someone telling the one woman who does NOT resemble a model, does not have any uplifting attributes, her presence haunts even haunters, and thinks she is at a clothes optional resort, to "PUT YOUR TOP ON!!!!" In fact, someone please say this to her no matter what the future holds.

As for kids age 0-12, NO!! NO !!! NO !!! and NO!!. As for teenagers, YES. They are most likely going to be well behaved, not climb on booths, try to help decide with parents what to buy, and serve as advisors as to what appeals to a good part of our market.

Should they (13 and up) attend the after parties and socials? Leave it up to the organizers and state law.

Should there be a lower charge for them to enter the event if one is charged. No.

jason
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I know some kids can behave themselves, but there are plenty of parents that turn a blind eye to what their child is getting into. At MHC, we had a small child try to climb the side of our booth and they knocked over several items. The mother was oblivious as we were picking up the mess in his wake. Kids are great, but should not be at a tradeshow where vendors have expensive items on display and are trying to conduct business.

Haunts do tell people at the beginning of the haunt tour to PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH. Well why should that change at tradeshows?

TheNightMare
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I say no kids and no fees, kids will just be in the way and unlike crew members thay have no input to what is needed for the haunt.

I'm with you on this one ice. I am sorry I love kids and I want kids some day but I wouldn't want them at this kind of a show. It is strictly business, when I'm walking through Oak islands haunted walk-thur display I wouldn't want kids hanging out inside goofing off thinking that the claustrophobia walls is a playground.

As far as the younger deadicated haunters under 18.... "It wont be long and you will be 18, the show will still be there. Keep learning and accelling at what you do because everyone will be depending on you to run everying later. Everything takes time.... drivers licenses, school, college, becoming an adult ( 18 ) or even growing to the ripe age of 21 so you can purchase alcohol ( HERES A SPOILER.... 21 ISNT AS GREAT AS YOU MAY THINK ...LMFAO ) Everything takes time.... dont be in to much of hurry to grab life by the reigns.... this will come sooner than you think.

I agree with all the above statements.

With that said, I do NOT think the age limit should be changed. All I see from this thread is (and I put the term loosely) avaricious people. What may be good for some may not be good for others.

Young kids under 18 hardly even have a job, what can they afford. I understand they might bring ideas, but can't that wait til you get home and show them some catalogs?

TW is a buying show, so your talking to a vendor ready to place an order and your child takes off to look at other things. Why would he/she do that b/c they are bored and don't feeling like waiting for mom and dad to place an order which might take 15 minutes or longer. Buying decisions are up to the adults and NOT the children.

Sorry but you young home haunters NEED to have patience and wait it out. If by 18 you still have the itch to haunt then I say go to TW and see what all the fuss is about. Until then, keep on learning.

Kevin Dells
04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Well i hate to break the bad news guys but i have personally been smuggling in teens for years and this is what iv'e learned from the experience.

1. They were very much a BIG persuation in what was bought by the owner, these teens did all the building,distressing, costuming, lighting, sound and make up fro our haunt. They were immediate staff and a huge part of our haunt team.

2. They have bought just about every cash and carry item possible and most in major excess out of their pockets. The ladies with the theatrical contact lense booth sold our group alone probably 100 pairs of contacts. Make up...1000's of dollars worth!

3. These teens have been working vendors booths displaying their products, i will not divulge which vendors so don't even ask.

4. We offered the trip to TW as an incentive to work harder at the haunt, if certain requirements were made they then reached higher managment and were invited to come along.

5. They acted at haunts during TW so yes you saw them on the show floor and then later at the haunts on tour.

6. They paid their entire way,we paid for nothing.

7. They did join you at after partys and you never even knew it! I even had a few of you come up and ask who the stunning goth girl was with... Uh sorry dude she's 15!

8. They conducted themselves in a very proffesional manor at all times and all of them had parental consent to accompany me to the show.

My point is a good motivated passionate teenager is worth all the money and freindship in the world when it comes to haunted houses. They are our target markets and their feedback is priceless!

Teens now a days are subjected to a lot more then we were when tv was rated g, it's a different world now people face it!

Everyone of those teens we smuggled in is still in haunting and is very passionate still about it. They lost their haunt but they still tour their asses off just because they love to do it so much!! (What do you think Ben Armstrong they toured your haunt last season,pretty dam good huh? Only teens attending TW could come up with costumes that impressive!)

You can complain all you want but it's falling on deaf ears, they went, they learned, they entertained all of you, and only a few select people ever new they were there. They are all over 18 now so not a whole lot anybody can do about it.

The youngest was 14 when she went and never did anybody ever ask her if she was of age because quite frankly she acted way beyond it. The consensus is in and my opinion is i think it's a great idea for 14 and over. Most haunt owners know who their star kids are, they know how they behave and conduct themselves, and if they are a huge part of the team they should be rewarded for it!

Feel free to crucify me now but be careful i may just post a picture of you posing with them for a picture on the show floor, yes LOTS of people took pictures with our crew.

Haunting Copy
04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
The teens from haunts are not the concern. The idea of letting in *just any* who want to be there might be a problem. Can you imagine if all those D.A.R.E. kids had been been on the show floor? (Or was it a Christian group?)

Kevin Dells
04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
If theres teens on the floor then they should have to be affiliated with a haunt just like anybody who attends TW now is supposed to be.

Let the random teens go to Fangoria conventions for their fix of horror movie star muggings and autograph sessions.

Cookie Crumbler
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
For the love of God, NO kids on the trade show floor.

Most industry trade shows do not allow children under 18. I know of several that are strengthening their rules to keep children out. Many even check IDs at the door, folks. Every time you go in and out. I don't care what IAAPA does, that's a totally different industry.

Kevin Dells, you think it's alright to attend Transworld in a dress with fake sh*t smeared on your legs. You are the male equivelant of that topless women everyone keeps bitching about. Why should we listen to you? Because you broke the rules and smuggled in teens? Nothing you've said here has any bearing on the situation.

The subject material and environment are not right for children, and vendors should be able to sell triple XXX rated-level stuff if they want to. Bringing in children just raises ethical and censorship issues.

Our industry also doesn't present themselves well enough as it is. Some of you want to open the flood gates and bring in kids? Didn't anyone notice how trashy the show looked without the well-dressed costume and party people to class up the joint? I sure did. Out of shape male vendors in tank tops? Come on. A little class is not that hard. Put on a nice shirt and drop the kids off at the sitter so we can all enjoy a professional buying atmosphere once a year. We need to UP the professionalism level, and badly, if this industry is to stand on it's own.

We've got Hauntcon and MHC etc. Those are conventions. Bring the kids there. Bring your teenage crew there, Kevin Dells. I'm sure Leonard or Barry would love to have your team there. Transworld is supposed to be the Tradeshow. You guys want to be an industry? Start acting like one. Jeez.

No kids 18 and under. For crying out loud it's pretty simple.

Tater
04-07-2009, 11:53 PM
I dont get it...Earlier everyone was bitching that its a BUYERS show and now you wanna open it up to kids...who arent buyers...do people think before them make decisions or do they just go all RAMBO and shoot everything then wonder why its dead?

Kevin Dells
04-08-2009, 04:13 AM
Kevin Dells, you think it's alright to attend Transworld in a dress with fake sh*t smeared on your legs. You are the male equivelant of that topless women everyone keeps bitching about. Why should we listen to you? Because you broke the rules and smuggled in teens? Nothing you've said here has any bearing on the situation..

By the way you might want to look around i was not the only one there were many!

The dress bothered you huh? Good thats what i was trying to acheive with that look thanks for the feedback! Maybe next year i"ll go topless.

And no thats not why anybody should listen to me, it's what those kids became and how good they became because they did attend the show and have the materials and knowledge at their fingertips. I think i typed that you might have read it or did you just quickly go into pass judgment mode!

The subject material and environment are not right for children, and vendors should be able to sell triple XXX rated-level stuff if they want to. Bringing in children just raises ethical and censorship issues...

Have you ever seen American pie, thats what teens are watching today! Far cry from episodes of MASH and Gilligans Island. I think they can handle it!

Didn't anyone notice how trashy the show looked without the well-dressed costume and party people to class up the joint? I sure did. Out of shape male vendors in tank tops? Come on. A little class is not that hard. ...

Yes you do pass judgment quickly don't you, maybe the good lord has given you the perfect everything but some people can't be that fortunate...oh wait he didn't give you manners your not perfect!! A$$hole

We've got Hauntcon and MHC etc. Those are conventions. Bring the kids there. Bring your teenage crew there, Kevin Dells. I'm sure Leonard or Barry would love to have your team there. Transworld is supposed to be the Tradeshow. You guys want to be an industry? Start acting like one. Jeez....

Yes they attend all the time and their very well received because of their professionalism!

.[/QUOTE]

Darkangel
04-08-2009, 06:11 AM
I agree with Grimey, 21 and up 18 is too young.

Darkangel

Cookie Crumbler
04-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Kevin Dells,

Gosh golly, I don't even know where to begin.

Maybe you should go topless. Hell, maybe you could walk around with your bare p*nis hanging out. That outta bug some "squares" like me. Isn't that what a Tradeshow is all about? Pissing people off?

Or sneaking in the teens? Do you buy them beer too? And people dare to ask: "Where have all the role models gone?"

I don't doubt your crew got a lot from the show. The Svenpuss acting troupe is very good. I also remember seeing them there and thinking: "Those people are too young to be here, and it shows." Sorry.

You also broke the rules to get them in. Of course they behaved, they weren't supposed to be there. Not to mention a few of your best teens is completely different from a tradeshow floor full of them. Dozens of teens changes the whole makeup of the show, and thus the rules start to change. If you allow 14 year olds in, then other "Babymen" will be smuggling in 9 year olds.

Your example, American Pie, was an NC17 movie that barely cleared R. So that's not meant for minors either. Gilligan's Island and MASH were on free TV for a general audience. Thus your example doesn't hold up. It just shows how many lousy parents out there don't do their jobs and let their kids watch R rated movies and don't monitor their internet use. Ratings and age limits exist for a reason. In society we have these things called rules and guidlines. They prevent chaos.

On the subject of passing judgment quickly... No, I've been watching you sputter out sentence fragments on various forums for years. I've known for at least 4 years where I stand on the "Babyman."

That doesn't even count the time I spoke with you on the phone and you sounded like a drunken fouth-grade dropout.

To address your response further, I don't have perfect anything. I'm not even remotely cocky. I just have ACTUAL respect. You can choose to respect your peers, put on some decent, clean clothes, or a sweet costume, and present yourself to the world in a way that shines our industry in a positive light...

Or, you can choose to walk around like a middle-aged wannabe frat-boy in a pink dress with your hairy gut exposed trying to get attention and attempting to piss off a "certain type" of people.

You can put on an amazing costume you've made to show the world what crazy ingenious stuff you've been working on...

Or you can put on a diaper and smear crap on your legs and make people want to vomit.

There is a difference.

Women, you have a choice too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can wear flattering clothes or something cool you've been working on, and help to present our industry as "legitimate" to a doubtful world...

Or you can take off your top, expose your breasts, paint yourself gray-blue, put on some pasties, and hope people like what they see and don't want to vomit.

You see, Dells, I do have manners. I have respect for this industry, and for those trying to be professional in it. Enough respect to wash my hair and put on a shirt with sleeves and no holes once a year when Transworld rolls around. To be semi-serious and project professionalism for the sake of my industry... one freaking day out of the year. To do my part to show the world that we aren't the glamorized carnies many of them think we are. Hell, I even follow the rules of the tradeshow! It's the least I can do.

MDKing
04-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey Cookie Crumbler,

Long time no see, and I see that the time away hasn't changed your opinions which you and I have sided on many times!

I think we need to think really hard about the kids issue, there is some pretty graphic stuff at our shows sometimes. Young kids and early teens have great enthusiasm and can contribute to your show, but when it comes time to spend and make the big purchases would you really trust their opinion over your own or fellow adult who appreciates the value of the dollar and how to carry out your theme? Teen influences will have you buying the cool new clown prop for your medieval themed show just because its cool!

Allan

Cookie Crumbler
04-08-2009, 06:41 AM
Mr. Bennett!

Long time indeed. I still like to "pop in" from time to time.

We always seem to meet in these situations, hahaha.

By the way, nice freakin' work on TV last October!

MDKing
04-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks,

It was a cool experience the TV show was, but seeing that made me realize how exhausted I must have been!!!

It's good to hear from you!

Allan

virgil
04-08-2009, 06:56 AM
My son, 16, has been on the tradeshow scene since I started.

He's worked my booth all that time and sold a lot of CDs.
Helping with set up and tear down he is a valuable part
of my tradeshow work.

Yes he gets paid!

To him it's a fun weekend with dad and a few bucks.
Some dads take their sons fishing....ahem...okay, we
do that too!! :)

Shane even synched a licensing deal with Fox last year while
I was teaching at MHC!

He gives the idea his vote as do I.

Barry
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Kids at Transworld or not does not really matter to me. What does matter to me, as a parent, is some of you making this decision based on the show's content and what my child should or not see. If you want to restrict children for the other reasons stated, that is great, but please let me be my son's parent and let me decide what is appropriate for him.

Killer Katie
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Virgil, you're son is and "old soul." He is mature neyond his years the couple of times I met him.
Like I mentioned about Ben's son, same thing!
I think there should be exceptions for vendor's teens, they should know about respect.
I agree that content should not be a determiner, it's about time we hold parents accountable for the way they raise their kids.
And as a parent, I know I won't bring my child until they are old enough to appreciate where they are, and they won't get bored and start to cry after 1 hour.
There should be no kids, unless accompanied at ALL times by a parent, and they should reserve the right to ask them to leave if they become destructive.
Unfortunatly, the "norm" for teens and children, is NOT well behaved and respectful. Go to any mall on a saturday and you'll see that.
BUT, it's a tradeshow, like Tater said, buisness. How much influence do teens, (who now think vampires are glittery... lol) have on what you buy? C'mon!

Just to state my place with teens: I've been a cast manager for several years with cast consisting almost 100% of teens. Lots of expereince. These are kids with a big interest in the haunt industry, and I had to pick and choose who i took where, because they are loose cannons in large groups.

Dr. Giggles
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I may be late on the uptake. But i think that kids over the age of 10 should be allowed and with parents by their side. I dont think they should get free reign. I mean some haunts allow actors under 18 and some of these are more passionate then a lot of people on this board. So i think that they should be over the age of ten and accompanied by someone from the haunt they are with or their parents.

Mike Honcho
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I feel that it is a business show and only close teens should come, but people like nick who are underage and doing well should be more then welcome to come. Also I find it rather strange the most people say the content of the show is not for teens, I don't think seeing latex tits are going to be harmful for them to see when most teens are out getting the real thing. Hell the other night on the news some 13 year old got a 15 year old pregnant lol
I'm just saying most of the content at these shows most teens are already aware of.
now with that being said I don't think it should be a lil teeny bopper trade-show but close family and your best actors should come , some will argue that teens should not help in the decisions of your haunt but if I'm not mistaking aren't teens a major part of our target audience ? I'm sure their input could be put to good use

just my 80 cents

Kevin Dells
04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Wow cookie you are pricless!

Lets rip on Dells again for another one of his characters!

Didn't know this was my roast but feel free to throw more out there!

I simply put up my opinion and TWICE you personally ripped on my characters which sorry you didn't like them but a lot of people do!! Babyman was only supposed to be a one night bet fufillment but it became a crowd favorite and i was asked to keep playing the character.

Not only did you rip on my characters but me as well for that you can kiss my ass. I have had a lot of people tell me i give great advice. I offered my opinion and posted my past experiences of brining a younger crowd to the show with no conflicts. If it bothered you then why didn't you man up at the show and say something not here behind a fake username.

You called me huh? Funny i don't even have a clue to whom im talking to, but if you say so pal !

I know what i have done for two great haunts over the past 8 years, i know the countless hours and dedication iv'e put into working with hundreds of actors. I know how much iv'e built and my family has suffered from my absence because dad was working on the haunts again, and i REALLY know how little iv'e made for doing it the past 8 years.

Between all the blood sweat and tears iv'e given this industry and the haunts iv'e worked it's the people like you that have pushed me to quit. Please don't take full credit your just one of the many that have made me want to retire as of last November.

Regardless im done talking to you, you can keep ranting all you want.

It was just my opinion and it seems there are some that also have been doing what i have so why don't you go rip on them as well !

xxxdirk
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Two things. First, those of you that afraid of what kids might see and how they might be wrecked for life because of seeing things at the trade show. Yeah I totally understand that, except I take it you NEVER allow anyone younger than 18 enter your haunt? Otherwise these kids will see these props not on display in normal lighting and on the shelf? No these same props will be under haunt lighting with scary music playing and weilded by a psycho killer.

Secondly, and in defense of Kevin Dells. Kevin has posted some great advice here on this board and to haunters all over the counrty. Cookie Cutter what have you done to better the industry? You have had 33 posts on this board. Do you know anything about haunting? Do you know what latex is? Have you ever built a wall or prop, or do you like to sit around your home thinking up ways to make people feel like shit and dream about running a haunt?