PDA

View Full Version : Admission fee for TW next year?

robert
04-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Is TW considering an admission fee for next year? Most mainstream tradeshows charge around $50.00 and up for non invited buyers. Transworld should do the same. TW is a trade show and not a convention (Hauntcon). If you are there to do business it's a small price to pay if you do not already have a relationship with at least one of the vendors. And yes, the fees for the seminars would have to drop but still be a separate charge.

Motograter
04-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I guess I would pay a fee if I had to but not no $50.00 to walk around and buy stuff. It would be like your local mall's starting up an admission price just to walk around and shop.

drfrightner
04-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Yes for good reason. Our show isn't really a show where there are two zillion vendors. Every single show we attended in 2009 or even before has a fee to get in... every single one.

Transworld has to make money, and we also need to keep booth costs down for vendors. Buyers need to pay part of the way so vendors don't share the full burdon.

IAAPA charges like $300.00 I think... Fun Expo was something I don't remember, Hauntcon charges like what $80.00 or something. I'm not sure... most tradeshows cost money.

I don't know how much they will charge but it won't be much.

Larry

Nightgore
04-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I think this should be a per haunt fee... not per person. I know ALOT of haunts bring large groups with them... and yes, they ALL have an influeance (sp?) on what to buy! I know next year we plan to bring a large group with us... and if they charged a fee... we probably wouldn't go at all!

This would be the death of TW I think, our industry is not big enough to start doing things like this... we're NOT the amusement industry! I guarentee MHC would quickly become THE BUYERS show! -Tyler

Grimley
04-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I would agree to pay the fee IF it benefited the vendors in some way. Lower booth fees for instance.

Infoamtek
04-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Nobody charges per haunt. Everybody else charges per person. If you want a big crowd of your people there, as a bonus to them or as a help to you, pay for them.

brad
04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
$50 or so won't break the bank or anything like that. But it's deffinately something I'd have to get used to. Just cause I'm used to going in for free.

Boo Crew Production
04-05-2009, 10:57 AM
In all reality the vendors don't pay. The people buying their products ultimately pay. It is called overhead and the cost of doing business, does this come out of the vendors pockets? NO it comes out of the customers pockets.

As for the comment Transworld has to make money; I believe they already make their share. If they were not making money, why would they consider putting the show together.

xxxdirk
04-05-2009, 11:17 AM
That is complete Bullcrap. TW makes money at this. They charge $13 for a meal that should only cost $4. They get a cut of the hotel rooms. They get $ from the vendors. If they want to cut down their cost, combine the tow shows into one again.....

Motograter
04-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Before you know it places will start charging you to use the restroom. $5.00 just to take a crap!

robert
04-05-2009, 12:49 PM
The fee would apply to attendees that do not get an invitation from a vendor. Don't you guys know any vendors who would invite you???????????

Nightgore
04-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Hopefully, vendors would invite people who bought from them! That just seems like the logical thing to do! -Tyler

spookhaven
04-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I certainly would not have paid 50.00 per person for this show. There wasn't enough vendors there for us. We were somewhat disappointed in the show size. Vendors that showed were good but I thought we were missing some key players.

Now put it on ice for a minute, I know it was the first haunt show and totally support it, but I would really hope that it's twice as large next year.

What these retail vendors need to do is charge 50% more and show at the haunt show. If someone like me who has a retail store separate from the haunt, they could provide us with a wholesale price and minimum order. They are VERY foolish to not come to this show and sell above wholesale but below retail with a 100.00 or so minimum order. Heck I should set up shop next year. Morris was there and they gave us better customer service than Rubies did this past year. I would support them 100% if I was a haunter. They already showed us (as haunters) that we are important to their business. We need to keep this in mind when all these other retailers show up next year wanting our business back. Oh and don't forget Wolfe FX showed as well. There are a few that get we need eachother.

I just wouldn't pay that much to get into a show. I didn't even have to pay to get into the New York Toy Fare so why would we have to pay to get into another show? If we do, my vote is 20.00 and no more if not invited.

SteveR
04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think I'd go if there was a $50 pp fee, if the seminars are also the cost they were.
What I consider acceptable is a $50-100 pp if it includes a couple seminars.

Haunting Copy
04-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Doesn't the whole concept of "invitations" put undue pressure on the vendors' customer relationships? They risk pissing off some customers while appearing as though they "favor" others. Then there is the bureaucracy of the whole thing.

Personally, I don't mind paying a fee, nor would I want to see the price of seminars go down. You get what you pay for. Keep in mind that you can demand more from a function that is charging high prices. Demand your money's worth, and that's the way to make the industry grow.

brad
04-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Doesn't the whole concept of "invitations" put undue pressure on the vendors' customer relationships? They risk pissing off some customers while appearing as though they "favor" others. Then there is the bureaucracy of the whole thing.

Also, if I get invited by a vendor, I feel a little obligated to buy something from that vendor. But, I like to buy from different vendors every year. That way I get a little bit of everything, and more vendors get my money. I like to support everyone I can.

But if someone invites me that I bought from last year, I may not want any of their new products.

brad
04-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I certainly would not have paid 50.00 per person for this show. There wasn't enough vendors there for us. We were somewhat disappointed in the show size. Vendors that showed were good but I thought we were missing some key players.

Now what key players would that be?

Now remember this is the first year the Haunt show is on it's own. AND remember that this was the most vendors this Haunt show has ever had.

Howie Slobber Erlich
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM
The other shows charge a fee because they are open to the public. TW is only for industry people. You must have approved credentials to gain entrance to the show floor. There should not be a charge to enter unless they plan on letting in the general public. Or they could charge just the people who do not qualify under the current guidelines to enter.

Just my opinion,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House
www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com

The13thHour
04-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I do not have a problem paying to get into the show. Maybe allow each haunt to have two people for free, and after that charge per head. I get irritated when I want to look at something or talk to someone and have to fight several people from the same haunt who are crowding the booth. I can understand having three or five people maybe, but ten plus? If you want to reward your team, take them to dinner, MHC or Hauntcon, or something. I bring three with me each year, two look at actor based needs, one is to offset my sparkling personality. They all know to not get in anyones way and not to tie up the vendors. If I had to I can easily leave them at home, and I am sure if most of you really want to admit it, you could leave most of your crews at home too. If TW wants to charge for admission and offset it with lots of good classes for actors, not just owner/operator type seminars, would anyone really fuss? I would love for the show to grow vendor and seminar wise, but it needs to be spread out more so people have more room to roam. That or eliminate some of the non-buyers.

Motograter
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
If TW wants to charge for admission and offset it with lots of good classes for actors, not just owner/operator type seminars, would anyone really fuss? I would love for the show to grow vendor and seminar wise, but it needs to be spread out more so people have more room to roam. That or eliminate some of the non-buyers.

I know it took us for EVER just to place a decent order with CFX. I had sooo many people bumping into me or brushing up against while we where trying to place and pay for our order. I just feel uncomfortable when I'm holding onto my wallet and people super close to me. I just wanted to yell back the F**K up people!!! But I kept my cool. :)

MidnightEvil
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Why not do like the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Las Vegas
One of, if not the biggest trade shows in the world. (note below - 140,000 attendance)
Why can't TW do something like this? After all TW is a Trade Show not a convention

This is from there websites FAQ page
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
Why do I have to pay $100 to register for CES after October 31?

New this year, the fee structure for admission to all exhibits, TechZones, SuperSessions, keynotes and selected conference sessions has changed. Please take note of these important registration fees and dates:

Before November 1, 2008: FREE
November 1, 2008: $100
5:01 p.m. EST, January 2, 2009: $200

The nominal registration fee helps ensure attendee quality at the International CES, as this trade-only event is crafted specifically for consumer technology professionals. All show proceeds are re-invested into the industry by the show's producer, CEA. However, consumer technology professional can enjoy free registration before November 1.

[return to question list]

What are the requirements for attending International CES?

International CES is not open to the general public. You must be in the consumer electronics industry to be eligible to attend the show. Our attendees are made up of more than 140,000 individuals including manufacturers, retailers, content providers and creators, broadband developers, installers, engineers, corporate buyers, government leaders, financial analysts and the media—representing the United States, Canada, Mexico and more than 140 other countries. All attendees must be at least 16 years of age. Two forms of identification are required on-site (one photo ID and one proof of business affiliation/business card).
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

Just My 2 Cents

Haunting Copy
04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
The nominal registration fee helps ensure attendee quality [/QUOTE]

I can see how this would help a LOT.

Monster-Tronics
04-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Haunting Copy hit the nail on the head!

TW is only for industry people. You must have approved credentials to gain entrance to the show floor.

TW does NOT qualify anyone that they let in. If you have a computer and a printer, you can make a business card in less then a min. That is the minimum qualification.

If you’re going to TW just to party or like many just to take pictures and knock-off products then you might want to keep bitching about a fee.

Haunting Copy
04-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Jeff, though I was actually quoting MidnightEvil's post. :)

xxxdirk
04-05-2009, 11:36 PM
ummm, excuse me, I spent $ at the show. Not a kings fortune like some haunts, but lets just say around $10k and damnit, I still WILL bitch about a fee!!

Haunting Copy
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
ummm, excuse me, I spent $ at the show. Not a kings fortune like some haunts, but lets just say around $10k and damnit, I still WILL bitch about a fee!!

Ron, I think they're more concerned with keeping non-buyers (like me!) out, and people who just want to come in and "look at the cool stuff." I very seriously doubt they want to keep out anyone who's willing to pay more than three figures. That would be business suicide.

Monster-Tronics
04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Sarah, Oops I missed that half quote symbol – credit to MidnightEvil's

Ron, The point was… that I believe any valid buyer and their crew will not have to pay a fee. Whether a vendor sends out free passes or if there is a credit type (which would be a bite to administer) system, non qualified attendees are costing YOU the buyer more money.

JamBam
04-06-2009, 06:57 AM
If TW is going to charge, they should start with all events that profit from them as well.

A charge of $20-25 or even $50 per person would be reasonable IF the fee could be rebated back to the buyer in their order to one of the vendors. Yes, it would be a chore to do the accounting, but it would solve the issue of qualified buyers and encourage buying. Those that already buy at TW would not have an issue with this and those that do not would be encouraged to, helping vendors.

I recently exhibited our haunt at a home show that charged attendees a few dollars entrance. They gave me ten passes to give to my customers/friends included with my booth fee. Maybe that would be anther way.

The comment that others charge is partially right. MWH does not charge for the exhibit floor. Hauntcon includes ALL seminars in the charge. IAAPA charges and the cost is much higher if the attendee is not a member of IAAPA.

Howie Slobber Erlich
04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
TW used to require you to show paid invoices of purchases made from your company, from 3 industry related companies. Not just a business card. They may not require that anymore.

I have not purchased anything at TW in the last couple of years. In fact I have not even gone to TW the last two years. But I have made huge purchases in years past. Not everyone who goes will make any purchases. I like to go to see all the new products and gain new ideas.

It is expensive enough just to attend these shows without having to pay for anything additional. Not every haunt profits hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some of us simply do this for the love of it. Let's not forget the haunts that are completely for charity.

To say that TW does not profit from hosting these conventions is total BS. Have they stated that this new fee will go directly to lowering booth prices? Let's remember that as a vendor, nobody is forcing you to set up if you think it costs too much. As a consumer I believe many of the industry vendors are charging way too much for their products. But, I have a choice wether or not to purchase from them.

Here is another fact. I don't have to attend TW to make my purchases. The Internet has almost completely eliminated the need for conventions. The only real reason to go to TW anymore is to socialize and to see the quality of the products first hand before making a purchase.

As far as the show floor being too crowded. Why not simply limit the amount of people that are allowed to attend from any one company. Vendors excluded. Four sounds reasonable. That is enough people to make any purchasing decisions. I have also seen haunts that have brought a dozen people with them to the show. I think it's ridiculous.

Oh well, I am starting to rant now. I will just say that I am against any admission fee unless I am getting something in return. A vendor discount coupon, free food voucher free seminar or something.

Howie

HauntedMemphis
04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Here is another fact. I don't have to attend TW to make my purchases. The Internet has almost completely eliminated the need for conventions. The only real reason to go to TW anymore is to socialize and to see the quality of the products first hand before making a purchase.

I really disagree here. First, there are a lot of products that look good on the internet, but it's a whole different thing seeing them live. I know I got a much better sense about how to use many props when I could actually see them up close, and with other props, I thought they looked alright in pictures and videos, but they blew me away live.

I think you'll see more high tech props in the undustry too, and many of those I think you really need to see up close. There were things as simple as a lighting controller that I'd seen online before, but added to my list right away after seeing it in action. I took something off my buy list for this year, because it seemed to good to be true to me, and I was hoping to see it used live. However, since the vendor didn't have the right amp to demo it, I wasn't able to see the test I needed to see to determine if it would meet our needs. Hopefully the right equipment is there next year, as I really hope to hear this prop in action, and won't purchase it without that happening.

Darkangel
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I agree, it should be more strict to get in. If you don't actually run a business should you be allowed in?

Darkangel

Monster-Tronics
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Brett & Howie, you are correct about the other conventions and tradeshows, but I think someone else touched on this point. When it is all said and done, the buyer/end user is footing the bill one way or another, whether it is direct or indirect. If some family of six comes in off the street for something to do and they let their kids play the game called “Let’s run around and each kid takes a brochure from every vendor” (which is a true story), that just cost the buyer more money because believe it or not those brochures are not really free, they cost thousands of dollars to print up.

That is just one simple example, there are tons of other costs involved. One of the biggest costs to the vendor is missed sales opportunities. It’s very hard for me to qualify someone in a few seconds that is asking me a question and taking up time while some other buyer is waiting there to place an order. Do I blow everyone off that is not a haunt owner? Can’t do that because I know many of the haunts crew and actors help make buying decisions. I added another 3 helpers to my booth this show to help cover… Some have said the aisles were too crowed and the floor space needs to be spread out, no problem, that floor space cost so much a sq. foot. It goes on and on….

Conventions charge you for all of the other stuff and get a cut, like haunt tours, etc. I bet TW did not see a dime from you know who. lol I believe the reason you are seeing a ton of conventions sprout up is because most of these the booth cost is around $100 give or take a bit. Sure there can be a lot of other costs like buying mail list etc…. and no doubt it is hard work (I’m still looking for a business that is not a lot of hard work), but it is not the vendors that are making 1000% plus profit on these shows. By my calculations (just like many haunt owners) after all of the hours working 7 days a week and all of the costs, I’ll be lucky if I make minimum wage. It really sucks that the people I hire will probably make more then I do. I’ve been practicing for my next job “Do you want fries with that?”

Lastly, there was no official announcement from TW on this. I think Larry tossed this out just to wig everyone out, which seemed to work.

Sorry to all, I’m not trying to be an ass, just trying to point out that it all is not clear cut when it come to a show.

mindtumor
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I agree with a fee. $50.00 isn't very much money and Bill you drop that in an hour at the bar. The fee should be per person not haunt. I don't want to pay for other people to be able to bring as many people as they want.

mindtumor
04-06-2009, 11:19 AM
The other shows charge a fee because they are open to the public. TW is only for industry people. You must have approved credentials to gain entrance to the show floor. There should not be a charge to enter unless they plan on letting in the general public. Or they could charge just the people who do not qualify under the current guidelines to enter.

Just my opinion,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
Deadly Intentions Haunted House

Good point, I hadn't thought about it like that before.

drfrightner
04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If they charge to get in, which I think they should do, mainly to help keep costs down for vendors and for the whole industry to share the load but if you charge to get in then anyone who wants to come let them come and pay. If Jared say for example wants to bring his daughter, or Ben his son let them if they are willing to pay. Most people won't because they won't pay. Just a thought.

If kids aren't allowed a daycare like I said before would be awesome!

Maybe there is a daycare downtown that TW can work with maybe I don't know... I don't know how Hauntcon does it but I give them props that is a good idea!

Larry

drfrightner
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Whoops... the price I think should be $50.00 per person. You get into the show, buyers guide, brochure bag and that is pretty much it. I think seminars and all of that should be seperate. Just my opinion.

We need to keep costs low for vendors you see the results. Vendors can afford more space, and when they buy more space they bring more new stuff its simple math here. You want to see more vendors, you want to see more new stuff created, because this benefits your business. So buyer and vendors need to share the load. The only way a tradeshow company can keep up with costs is to charge he vendor if they dont' charge the buyer. The higher the booths the less stuff you will see... food for thought.

Larry

JamBam
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
We always have a show meeting before we attend and remind all that the printed material and samples cost the vendors money and to be respectful of that. They are to take one catalog per group and not take one unless they feel it is something that we would buy.

The badges should be very obvious as to one or two from each group that are the buyers. THe rest should have an obvious differant color. That would help the vendors to know who is and is not one with buying power. They could be respectful and tactful when they had a bunch of people in their booth but yet know who to help first.

Tater
04-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok

We can play this game...Lets say they do charge...a 50 dollar fee..and according to Larry they say they will pass it on the the vendors...but what if they keep it for themselves...Im all about helping out the vendors when I can, but theirs no promises that they will do that? So then what are we being charged for

Brandon_K
04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
If the buyers get charged to enter, I damn well better see discounts on the vendor side of things, afterall this is to reduce costs for vendors, right? Since the vendor now has less overhead, they can pass that savings onto the buyers, right?

Sorry, I'm against having an enterance fee to buy something. I don't get charged when I walk into the grocery store, mall, gas station or anything else. This should be no different. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that the vendors would like to save money, but as the old attage goes you have to spend money to make money. It seems like you want your cake and eat it too.

drfrightner
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Brandon,

Tradesshows are different than a grocery store, but you do get charged to shop at Costco or Sams? Yes?

IAAPA charges and charges a lot! And it worth every penny.

Fun Expo charges, Bowl Expo charges, Hauntcon charges, most shows charge a fee to enter the shows. If you do not charge then as cost rise organizers must then turn around and put it on the vendors with higher booth costs. As buyers do we want the vendors to share 110% of the burdon to sell to us?

That isnt' fair.

The cost needs to be shared by all!

Larry

damon carson
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I dont know it seems like its all coming off like a annual Sams Club membership?! I would pay the $50.00 bucks to get in. Or I will place my orders as I do every year and get an invite to the show from that vendor if thats how it works? I remember doing that with Little Spider years back when they seperated the shows from Haunters in Chicago. Far as kids lower the age. I know my kids are too young to go now. And the horror of losing them in all the people that attend is scary in itself. But I would love to bring them when they get older and I think the 18yr old rule needs to go. I think there should be a couple of people in the industry that could give a free seminar on Friday or Saturday morning. And then they rotate them every year. I went to a Leonard Pickle free seminar in Chicago once. All I can say about that is Im glad it was free. I did like the beer in the fridge gag. He really needs some new stuff though. LOL!
Damon

HauntedMemphis
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I think putting part of the cost burden on the buyers instead of the sellers is really about spreading risk. If all the burden is on the seller, they need to sell more product at higher prices to cover their costs. If they don't sell enough to make it worth it, they likely won't be back.

If the burden is shared the buyers, then there is less chance that a vendor will lose money on the show. For the established vendors and big vendors, this might not be as much of a concern. But for newer vendors wondering if they might be able to make it with the show, having less risk makes the decision to come easier.

MMManiac
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
I see it this way. There are alot of local magazeins out there that do NOT charge, instead they sell ad space to local bars/compaies and what not. The reason so many places buys these ads and pay big $$ is they know alot of people will see it because its free! Now if they charged customers to get the mag I'm sure a lot less people would see it, then there would be no interest in the companies to buy ad space.

And I'm sorry Larry but you would get in free regardless. You buy space at TW for Hauntworld. Of course you would want venders to pay less (yourself) and for the buyers (myself) to pick up the cost.

Keep TW free... They need to do a better job making sure only REAL haunt owners/employees attend. If TW wanted to make more $$ hey would keep it free AND lower the cost to venders... This way the venders would buy more space. It's a WIN WIN for TW, the venders, the buyers, Tator, Shane, Mindtumor, Damon, Larry, myself, any everyone else....

(Ex: 100 companies buy space for $10 a spot. TW makes $1,000.
Now Say those 100 companies pays only $8 a spot but buys two because of lower cost. TW just made $1,600.)

Barry
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I believe the reason you are seeing a ton of conventions sprout up is because most of these the booth cost is around $100 give or take a bit. Sure there can be a lot of other costs like buying mail list etc…. and no doubt it is hard work (I’m still looking for a business that is not a lot of hard work), but it is not the vendors that are making 1000% plus profit on these shows.

Just to set the record straight, MHC does not make 1000%. Not even close! LOL If you really want to know, it costs us $100 just for the pipe, drape, table, and chairs. That price does not include the convention facility, security, insurance, food/beverage commitments, etc... When you figure that with early discounts, vendors purchased booths for as low as $350 I just hope that what I charge for booths covers the facility.