PDA

View Full Version : Need your help!

SomeThingInTheIce
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
If you look at my avatar, it is a spider inside a ice cube. I have a large spider prop and I want to put it into a block of fake ice. I was going to make a wood box and line it with playdo, put the spider in and then pour in clear acrlic. Would this work? Would it set up? Would it stay clear or turn? Would the playdo come off or get inbeded? How would you go about doing this? I only have the one spider, so I only have one chance to make this work. Thanks up front for any info. The box would be about 24"x24"x24"

Motograter
04-05-2009, 07:18 PM
You can try this..I have bought from this company to make severed hands etc. Only thing you have to use this product in well ventilation, a NIOSH Approved Respirator and Protective Clothing are required to minimize the risk of inhalation and dermal sensitization. But I am sure this is what you are looking for.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

SomeThingInTheIce
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
That will work but, man after reading about it, I'm not sure I want to even touch this stuff.

You can try this..I have bought from this company to make severed hands etc. Only thing you have to use this product in well ventilation, a NIOSH Approved Respirator and Protective Clothing are required to minimize the risk of inhalation and dermal sensitization. But I am sure this is what you are looking for.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

Tater
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Why dont you buy those cheap lil spider ring things and try it on a smaller scale then you will know for sure

SomeThingInTheIce
04-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Very good idea, I think I wil do that and see what works best.

Why dont you buy those cheap lil spider ring things and try it on a smaller scale then you will know for sure

Scareview
04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Why dont you make a thick plexi glass box and find something to make the outside look like ice? Leave the inside hollow to save your prop.

SomeThingInTheIce
04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Yet another good idea, thanks.

Why dont you make a thick plexi glass box and find something to make the outside look like ice? Leave the inside hollow to save your prop.

Allen H
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
A few years back I used a wire frame wrapped in cellophane, heat gunned it to tighten it up and misted the corners of the cubes with silver and a bit of blue spray paint. Im sure you could put your spider inside of that kind of an ice block.
let us know what you try out,
Allen H

damon carson
04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
How big do you want this? How large is your spider prop? How bout those glass bar blocks? Maybe just buy them and put them around your spider prop? Just an Idea Im not sure what exactly your working with.
Damon

Allen H
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Damon, he said in original post its a two foot cube.

maliciousstudios
04-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Sculpt it from clay, un-even surfaces jagged like ice..... purchase your spider prop from a fx company ( tons of them have big spiders ) Id do this first so you know how big of a sculpt to do....( Seal model ) brush on silicone ( 1 Piece glove mold )
( I.E. Mold Max 91.94 a gallon ) use either plaster bandage ( for cheap )
or plasti paste, ultracal 30, or some form of 2 piece mother mold.
Mix and pour in the Crystal Clear Resin and spider ... I would think about trying a rotational cast.... ( Sorry havent had much experience with the ice idea ) Rotational casting ( see you tube ) allows you to cast a hollow ice cube ( WICKED COOL )

( YOU COULD ALSO INSERT THE SPIDER AFTER THE CASTING IS DONE IF YOU DO A ROTATIONAL CASTING..... ----> ALWAYS AN IDEA ??

Yeah, aorry for placing on a new thread I couldnt find this one, post some pics I love to see how shit turns out !

( Sorry for jumping around.... if you do some research you should be able to fill in the gaps...lol )

AeroMarine Crystal Clear Casting Resin
Mold Max Stroke
Plasti Paste ??
Ultra Cal ??

AeroMarine Crystal Clear Casting Resin
------------------------------------------------------------
The product is a water clear, UV Resistant Polyurethane Casting Resin
AeroMarine Crystal Clear Casting Resin has a (20 minute) working time to allow air bubbles to rise freely to the surface.

I HOPE THIS HELPS !!